EVGA

Second hand warranty related question

Author
onikett
  • Total Posts : 15
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 0
2022/05/19 00:29:39 (permalink)
Hello, I've read the associated official FAQ regarding second hand warranty. In view of that I have a few questions:

1. If the second hand purchase is done through in-person offline meeting, hand-to-hand exchange without any online activities involved, what kind of proof of purchase does the second hand owner need asa proof of purchase to register the product? I've read that document specifically made for proof of purchase is allowed. So say, if I write a .doc file in MS Word saying "this is to certifiy this X GPU has been sold to Mr. Y from Mr. Z on some date" will that be deemed as a good enough proof?

2. I've read in the official FAQ that even if a GPU isn't registered by the first hand owner in the EVGA website before selling it to the second hand owner, the second hand owner still has to register it as a second hand product during registration. But if the second hand owner registers the unregistered product as a first hand purchase (say,using the original order invoice provided by the first hand owner as proof of purchase) how will EVGA be able to prove that he is not the first hand owner?

3. The way I understand, the second hand owner means all subsequent owners after the first hand owner right? Say if the second hand owner sold the GPU to another buyer and then that 3rd person becomes the second hand owner and so on?

Thanks.

3 Replies Related Threads

ty_ger07
    Insert Custom Title Here
    • Total Posts : 21171
    • Ribbons : 270
    Re: Second hand warranty related question 2022/05/19 05:17:02 (permalink)
    1. Correct
    2. Correct. People try anyway (maybe by accident), and in the end it just messes up their account, delays or invalidates warranty claims, wastes them money if they bought extras (like an extended warranty) which are invalid for second-hand owners, and wastes them money on shipping for rejected warranty claims. Your other thread asking about how to alter your identity on this website certainly doesn't bode well for your EVGA support experience. I don't think EVGA enjoys gaming of their store. Your interaction with EVGA here is contractual. They will make it hurt for you if they find out that you tried to hurt them. Asking 'how would they know?' is not the right question. The right question is 'what are your legal contractual and moral obligations?'. If they find out, they will use it against you. Asking these questions is more likely to make them investigate you.
    3. Correct
    post edited by ty_ger07 - 2022/05/19 10:13:56

ASRock Z77 • Intel Core i7 3770K • EVGA GTX 1080 • Samsung 850 Pro • Seasonic PRIME 600W Titanium
    My EVGA Score: 1546 • Zero Associates Points • I don't shill

onikett
    • Total Posts : 15
    • Ribbons : 0
    Re: Second hand warranty related question 2022/05/21 06:54:22 (permalink)
    ty_ger07
    1. Correct
    2. Correct. People try anyway (maybe by accident), and in the end it just messes up their account, delays or invalidates warranty claims, wastes them money if they bought extras (like an extended warranty) which are invalid for second-hand owners, and wastes them money on shipping for rejected warranty claims. Your other thread asking about how to alter your identity on this website certainly doesn't bode well for your EVGA support experience. I don't think EVGA enjoys gaming of their store. Your interaction with EVGA here is contractual. They will make it hurt for you if they find out that you tried to hurt them. Asking 'how would they know?' is not the right question. The right question is 'what are your legal contractual and moral obligations?'. If they find out, they will use it against you. Asking these questions is more likely to make them investigate you.
    3. Correct

Thanks for your reply. But I am afraid your reply regarding point 2 is rude and uncalled for. Let me explain why.

I asked "how would EVGA know if it's a second-hand GPU" and NOT "what are my legal contractual and moral obligations?" because I ACTUALLY wanted to know what technically makes someone a first-hand owner in EVGA's eyes. For example where I live(Bangladesh), when a first hand GPU is sold the serial no. of that GPU is printed on the invoice provided to the buyer. And that unique serial number associates the product to the buyer. When you want to claim warranty for the said product, you have to show/email them the invoice to prove it's your product. That's why when a GPU with warranty is sold second-hand, the cash-memo is handed over to the second-hand owner and he becomes the official owner of the GPU for warranty or any claim from that point. In essence each GPU's serial number and the associated invoice defines the owner.

But when buying things from Amazon USA or Newegg the GPU serial number is not printed on the invoice. That's why I natually asked "how do they know". It could be that the shipping/billing address (printed on the invoice) must match the name of the EVGA account or some other way.

I didn't ask it to game their website to gain illegal favor. Then the question you are referring to ("what are my legal contractual and moral obligations?") would be more appropriate. I actually wanted to know "how do they know" to know the process.

Regarding me asking in another thread about "how to alter my identity" has similar explanation. As I explained earlier I live in Bangladesh. The address used in my EVGA account is my friend's who live in USA because I know shipping to Bangladesh is unavailable (or it would be incredibly expensive with customs and shipping even if EVGA do). So when a few days ago I wanted to buy a GPU from EVGA store (to be shipped to my friend's house in USA who would be bringing it in July), I needed to change the email id of billing address. Because I had to use my friend's credit card and use her email id as my Bangladeshi card will not work here. However I couldn't due to the said restriction. That's why I asked the question regarding changing email id in shipping/billing address.

Also I understood the reason that you explained (in other thread) behind EVGA not permitting to change email id in shipping/billing address. But I am afraid I can't understand how it equates to "altering  my identity" or why "it won't bode well for my EVGA support experience" or why "it might make EVGA investigate me". A person can legally send/buy someone else a product when using Amazon or any other e-commerece store. A buyer's own address (with which they registered in say, Amazon) might not be same as the person they're sending the item to. It's legally accepted.

That's why the shipping address and billing address is asked after all before checkout even if the address is provided beforehand in the buyer's account. And that's why there are two email id's (one for shipping, one for billing) one needs to provide when buying something. Because it's accepted that shipping and billing email addresses might be different.

And even if the buyer wants to buy something for themselves, it's not common for a person to have separate personal/business email addresses. So say, they might have used their personal email to open an EVGA account and their business email to have a credit card. It's nothing illegal. But then that person will not be able to use their card under EVGA's current rules (though I got your explanation there). So what I asked regarding email id sounds like a very logical question to me.

If you mean changing the email id associated with the account itself twice a month is akin to altering one's identity, I might agree. But trying to change an email id in when filling up shipping/billing address form certainly doesn't mean that from my perspective.

Thanks.
    ty_ger07
    Insert Custom Title Here
    • Total Posts : 21171
    • Ribbons : 270
    Re: Second hand warranty related question 2022/05/21 07:26:33 (permalink)
    "You" are buying with their credit card and it is being shipped to their address. By definition, they are buying it. You will be a second-hand owner.
    You would have a second-hand owner global warranty, and would have to interact with EVGA via their Taiwan location.
    post edited by ty_ger07 - 2022/05/22 19:59:31

ASRock Z77 • Intel Core i7 3770K • EVGA GTX 1080 • Samsung 850 Pro • Seasonic PRIME 600W Titanium
    My EVGA Score: 1546 • Zero Associates Points • I don't shill

Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile