D6 Post Codes - EVGA X570 FTW - EVGA 3070ti

Author
Crradams
  • Total Posts : 3
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 0
2022/05/13 06:49:48 (permalink)
Hello All, 

I've got an all EVGA system that I built about 90 days or so ago. Everything has been working amazing, until this morning.

I got up this morning, went to my office and hit the power button on my computer, but instead of it turning on I'm greeted with five beeps and a D6 CMOS code. That's never happened before and I was happily playing a game before bed last night, less than 12 hours ago. 

I checked all of the connections and restarted, same D6 code. I opened the case, cleared CMOS and restarted. Same D6 code. I looked up what D6 was and it indicates no graphics output. Again, thats really strange, because I was playing a game less than 12 hours before with no issues.

I unplug everything, pull the graphics card (3070 TI from the EVGA store), I pull the CMOS battery to "hard reset" the CMOS. After about 10 min, I reinsert the battery, reslot the graphics card and restart. Same D6 code. The graphics card lights turns on and the fans spin, but I still get the D6 code. In the forums I found someone who said that the monitor may need to be powered on first, so I powered on the monitor, cleared CMOS and restarted. D6 error code. 

I have no other graphics card to test with and the 3070ti will not fit in the other PCIe slot on this motherboard. I'm not sure what to do or try next, but i'm more than a little frustrated. Can anyone help?

The only thing that I can think of is that a new GFORCE driver was released yesterday. I did install the driver without issue and continued to play games until bed. I feel like everything is pointing to that driver being the issue, but I'm not sure what to do because I don't have anyway to rollback that driver if I can get into the dang system. If it was the driver, surly I cant be the only person having this issue, can I? 

System Info
Motherboard Manufacturer : EVGA
Motherboard Model : EVGA X570 FTW WIFI
Graphics Card Model : EVGA 3070ti
Number of Graphics Card : 1
CPU : Ryzen 9 5950x
Memory Manufacturer : G.Skill
Memory Model : TridentZ DDR4-4000 8x2
Number of Memory Modules : 4
Power Supply : EVGA Supernova 850GM
Operating System : Windows 10
Monitor : Samsung Odyssey G7 32 in
Other Peripherals : HyperX mic, Logitec G512 Carbon keyboard, Logitec G303 Shroud Mouse

Thanks for any help or suggestions!

-Crad

6 Replies Related Threads

B0baganoosh
    CLASSIFIED Member
    • Total Posts : 2365
    • Ribbons : 39
    Re: D6 Post Codes - EVGA X570 FTW - EVGA 3070ti 2022/05/13 07:19:32 (permalink)
    Just out of curiosity, did you try to switch to the other bios on your GPU?

It wouldn't fix the issue with the vBIOS you've been using, but if your vBIOS somehow got corrupted, you can at least switch over to the other one and keep using your GPU. Fixing the corrupt one could be a bit complicated.

Also, there's a similar issue some people have had where suddenly that model of graphics card is no longer recognized, usually happens if you turn the card off while flashing vBIOS...I'm not sure a driver install could do this. There's an Nvidia tool that's supposed to be able to fix that, but I think you'd have to be using your computer from a different video card to make it work. Not sure if you know someone with a gpu you can put in a different slot to try it or not? Maybe you can ebay an old gt 710 or something. 
    post edited by B0baganoosh - 2022/05/13 07:21:30

6Q6CPFHPBPCU691 is a discount code anyone can use.

i9 13900k - EVGA Z690 Classy - Nvidia RTX 4090 FE - G.Skill 32GB DDR5-6000  - WD SN850 2TB NVMe Gen4 - Be Quiet! Straight Power 12 1200W - Be Quiet! Dark Base 900 Pro. MO-RA3 420 Pro. Dark Palimpsest MODS RIGS post for build notes.
    Crradams
    Re: D6 Post Codes - EVGA X570 FTW - EVGA 3070ti 2022/05/13 07:39:47 (permalink)
    B0baganoosh
    Just out of curiosity, did you try to switch to the other bios on your GPU?

Also, there's a similar issue some people have had where suddenly that model of graphics card is no longer recognized, usually happens if you turn the card off while flashing vBIOS...I'm not sure a driver install could do this. There's an Nvidia tool that's supposed to be able to fix that, but I think you'd have to be using your computer from a different video card to make it work. Not sure if you know someone with a gpu you can put in a different slot to try it or not? Maybe you can ebay an old gt 710 or something. 

Hey B0baganoosh, 

Thanks for taking the time to read and reply. I didn't update anything yesterday other than the Gforce Driver. I'm not sure I understand when you say "try to switch to the other bios on your GPU". I'm willing to try anything at this point, can you give me a little more detail?

I tend to agree with you that the Gforce driver isn't going to cause my system to not recognize the video card. Its just the only thing that I know changed yesterday.

I really don't want to buy another fricken video card just to troubleshoot, but if that's my only/next option I'll make it happen. Currently I have a $4500 paperweight. 

Thank you, 

Crad
    B0baganoosh
    CLASSIFIED Member
    Re: D6 Post Codes - EVGA X570 FTW - EVGA 3070ti 2022/05/13 07:47:05 (permalink)
    If you have the 3070ti FTW, there's a little switch next to the power cables that changes from "normal" to "OC" bios. I'm not sure which one you were using, but you could switch to the other one, then power off and on.

i9 13900k - EVGA Z690 Classy - Nvidia RTX 4090 FE - G.Skill 32GB DDR5-6000  - WD SN850 2TB NVMe Gen4 - Be Quiet! Straight Power 12 1200W - Be Quiet! Dark Base 900 Pro. MO-RA3 420 Pro. Dark Palimpsest MODS RIGS post for build notes.
    Crradams
    Re: D6 Post Codes - EVGA X570 FTW - EVGA 3070ti 2022/05/13 08:31:15 (permalink)
    B0baganoosh
    If you have the 3070ti FTW, there's a little switch next to the power cables that changes from "normal" to "OC" bios. I'm not sure which one you were using, but you could switch to the other one, then power off and on.

LMAO!! I had no idea that even existed. I'm looking up the pros/cons now. That too funny! I've handled that card more than a few times and never noticed. 

For the main issue, I unplugged the display port and plugged in via HDMI just to see if that would do anything. Well.. It did.. :) I was able to boot into Windows with no beeps and no issues. I don't want to use HDMI for obvious reasons so I tried again with the display cable and noticed it wasn't fully seating into the back of the mobo like the HDMI. After little more investigation I could see that the case was preventing the display cable from being completely inserted and was likely even touching the metal shield around the display connector. I loosened up the screws holding the card and was able to get the display cable fully plugged in.

Its been like that for the last 90-120 days and i've never had an issue. Maybe one of the cats walked behind my desk last night and give it the little bump it needed to short itself out.. Who knows, but everything is up and working great now. It only took 4 hours of my life to get it figured out. </fail>

All in all, I learned something new with the OC/Normal dip switch. Thanks for the help!

-Crad

Epsolike
    iCX Member
    • Total Posts : 435
    • Ribbons : 17
    Re: D6 Post Codes - EVGA X570 FTW - EVGA 3070ti 2022/05/13 08:52:16 (permalink)
    Crradams
    B0baganoosh

LMAO!! I had no idea that even existed. I'm looking up the pros/cons now. That too funny! I've handled that card more than a few times and never noticed. 

For the main issue, I unplugged the display port and plugged in via HDMI just to see if that would do anything. Well.. It did.. :) I was able to boot into Windows with no beeps and no issues. I don't want to use HDMI for obvious reasons so I tried again with the display cable and noticed it wasn't fully seating into the back of the mobo like the HDMI. After little more investigation I could see that the case was preventing the display cable from being completely inserted and was likely even touching the metal shield around the display connector. I loosened up the screws holding the card and was able to get the display cable fully plugged in.

Its been like that for the last 90-120 days and i've never had an issue. Maybe one of the cats walked behind my desk last night and give it the little bump it needed to short itself out.. Who knows, but everything is up and working great now. It only took 4 hours of my life to get it figured out. </fail>

All in all, I learned something new with the OC/Normal dip switch. Thanks for the help!

-Crad

I was reading this thread and felt so bad, so happy it was something small like that man, a releif 

EVGA X570 DARK (1.09) [manual SoC, AUTO high!]
    AMD Ryzen 5800X3D [-25 -25 -25 -20 -25 -25 -25 -25]
    GSKILL Royal Elite (Gold) 3600C14 (B-die) [F4-3600C14D-32GTEGA]
    EVGA 3080 Ti FTW3 Ultra
    EVGA SuperNOVA P6 1000
    B0baganoosh
    CLASSIFIED Member
    Re: D6 Post Codes - EVGA X570 FTW - EVGA 3070ti 2022/05/13 09:26:12 (permalink)
    Crradams
    B0baganoosh

-Crad

Glad it was something simple! As for that vbios switch, all it really does is change the fan profile. On some cards, it is really handy to have two (or 3) vbios's you can play with as there are extreme overclocking BIOS's you can flash and get more power out of the card. Under normal conditions though (and from the factory), there are just the two spots and they just change the fan profile. Under "normal", the fans will turn off if the temperatures are low enough. Under "OC" they never turn off and the default fan profile is a little more aggressive. Of course you can set a more aggressive fan profile in Precision X1 even on the "normal" bios switch position, but that's all the switch does. In your case, I was hoping you could use another great feature in that if you have one of the vBIOS's get corrupt, you can switch to the other one and keep using your card, but it turned out to be unnecessary. 

Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile