EVGA

Unleash RGB software updates always delete all profiles and settings... again, and again..

Author
gameoffuture
  • Total Posts : 10
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 0
2022/05/05 12:38:18 (permalink)
The only thing I have ever experienced so far is that EVGA makes horrifically bad software and firmware for their keyboards and mice. I have the Z15 and X17, and I have absolutely lost any confidence and trust in any software EVGA makes at all.
Yes, I saw the post on how to dig into app-data and backup and restore the profile settings, but this is a total waste of time.
It is already bad enough that I have to run a piece of garbage software in the background at all times, but then I have to waste my time to restore my settings every single time also. 
Why can't EVGA just store simple RBG key light layouts in the keyboard itself? You have enough hardware in there for that. Why does EVGA insists on running crapware (not so much) in the background?

4 Replies Related Threads

tmaeller
    • Total Posts : 72
    • Ribbons : 4
    Re: Unleash RGB software updates always delete all profiles and settings... again, and aga 2022/05/05 16:42:57 (permalink)
    gameoffutureYes, I saw the post on how to dig into app-data and backup and restore the profile settings, but this is a total waste of time.

I totally agree with you that it's bad to have to back it up because the settings get deleted. But it's much more time-consuming to have to re-add your custom config one key at time.

If this ever gets fixed (and I would not count on that happening), you at least have the option to back up your config and re-apply it. I had to do this on another PC when I upped it to 1.0.15 from 1.0.13.

jellosmello
    • Total Posts : 11
    Re: Unleash RGB software updates always delete all profiles and settings... again, and aga 2022/05/11 22:51:51 (permalink)
    Is there a way to disable to auto-update attempts? I've turned the Check for Updates window to Never and yet I'm still getting interrupted mid game and losing kbm for a minute while it tries to tell me to start the firmware update. I don't want to update because I don't want to set my keybinds back up. 
    lastsamurairick
    CLASSIFIED Member
    • Total Posts : 2419
    • Ribbons : 6
    Re: Unleash RGB software updates always delete all profiles and settings... again, and aga 2022/05/13 07:47:55 (permalink)
    type wrong spot sorry delete this Please.
    post edited by lastsamurairick - 2022/05/20 06:34:49

Intel 10900k @ 3.7 Stock
      EVGA Z490 Dark 
      EVGA GEFORCE RTX 3070Ti FTW3
      G SKILL TRIDENT Z ROYAL 32GB
      EVGA 1000G5
    evilpeppard
    • Total Posts : 15
    Re: Unleash RGB software updates always delete all profiles and settings... again, and aga 2022/10/23 09:15:15 (permalink)
    For anyone coming across this post like I did while searching on profiles, here is the thread on how to backup and restore your profiles: https://forums.evga.com/Basic-Guide-to-Backup-and-Restore-of-Custom-Key-Color-Layers-m3497093.aspx

Also, per the thread I linked, profiles are only 'lost' if you move the peripheral to a different USB port. The profiles are USB port specific, so if you move your keyboard to a new USB port, or a new USB hub like I did, it will appear you have 'lost' all your custom lighting settings. I followed the instructions in the thread I linked and easily recovered all my settings.

I will now make regular backups of my profiles as I make changes to my profiles in the Unleash software using the steps outlined in that thread.

Hope this helps others.
    Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile