EVGA

Warranty void stickers illegal in USA? What's EVGA's response to this?

Author
kdawg6969
  • Total Posts : 2
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 0
2021/12/24 15:33:18 (permalink)

if you google it, "warranty void if removed" stickers are illegal in the USA.

Most consumers don't know that these stickers are actually illegal—and that's because manufacturers don't want you to. Under the 1975 Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act, the Feds mandated that you can open your electronics without voiding the warranty, regardless of what the language of your warranty says

What's EVGA's official stance on this?

9 Replies Related Threads

Flint 1760
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    • Total Posts : 8295
    • Ribbons : 45
    Re: Warranty void stickers illegal in USA? What's EVGA's response to this? 2021/12/24 15:50:47 (permalink)
    EVGA products have stickers, but I have never seen a "warranty void if removed" sticker. 

Considering you can take your air cooled GPU apart and put a block on it and if you have to RMA you just have to return it the same way it came from the factory, i.e., save everything carefully and put it back together before shipping it back to EVGA for replacement.  So no, I haven't seen one at all.

Most consumers in the US do know the stickers are without merit.  You might want to explain a little about why or what made you decide to post this thread.  Did you have a problem with a warranty?

If you want a direct answer from EVGA here is the contact information (note EVGA will be closed until 3 January 2022):

EVGA Corporate Headquarters

• US Office
    • Brea, California
    Service Hours
    • Monday – Friday 9AM to 6PM PSTOffice Hours:
    • Monday – Friday 9AM to 6PM PST
      • Toll Free: +1.888.881.EVGA (3842)
      • Tel: +1.714.528.4500
      • Fax: +1.714.528.4501
      • Email us
    post edited by Flint 1760 - 2021/12/24 15:59:57

the_Scarlet_one
    formerly Scarlet-tech
    • Total Posts : 24581
    • Ribbons : 79
    Re: Warranty void stickers illegal in USA? What's EVGA's response to this? 2021/12/24 16:55:49 (permalink)
    kdawg6969

if you google it, "warranty void if removed" stickers are illegal in the USA.

Most consumers don't know that these stickers are actually illegal—and that's because manufacturers don't want you to. Under the 1975 Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act, the Feds mandated that you can open your electronics without voiding the warranty, regardless of what the language of your warranty says

What's EVGA's official stance on this?

It’s pretty straight forward, if a user removes the serial number stickers, the warranty is void. There is a primary sticker on the backplate which clearly states warranty void if removed, and then there are two stickers on the pci connector section of the card, which are required to stay on the card and are not visible when the GPU is installed.

None of those stickers are located over a screw or joint, so doing service on the product will not require their removal. “Warranty void if removed” stickers are only illegal if they block the end user from doing maintenance on a product. Since EVGA doesn’t do this, there is no law being broken by requiring end users to leave the serial number stickers in place at all times.

What is your question outside of that?
    Flint 1760
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    Re: Warranty void stickers illegal in USA? What's EVGA's response to this? 2021/12/24 17:13:48 (permalink)
    @the_Scarlet_one:  I had completely forgotten about those, probably because I would never think of removing a serial number sticker and the others because they don't mean anything to me when I'm putting blocks on my cards so I just don't notice them.  Thanks for the reminder.

Haven't a clue what the OP's post was really about.

Merry Christmas to you and yours.

ty_ger07
    Insert Custom Title Here
    • Total Posts : 21171
    • Ribbons : 270
    Re: Warranty void stickers illegal in USA? What's EVGA's response to this? 2021/12/24 17:30:17 (permalink)
    To be fair to the OP, the SC15 does have a "warranty void if removed" sticker (NOT tamper-evident sticker) over the top of one of the motherboard screws which prevents disassembly without destroying that sticker, but as far as I know, EVGA has never tried to legally enforce it. I think enforcement of an anti-consumer stance is what matters legally-speaking. The SC15 was manufactured before the law was enacted, wasn't it? If so, you kind of have to give EVGA a pass, right? Especially if there is no documented proof of EVGA giving anyone a hard time about that sticker being tampered with.

I do wonder what the OP's point is. I wonder their perspective. This has been discussed to death already. All other reasons for voiding a warranty are allowed, right? As said, EVGA's serial number sticker doesn't prevent servicing the card, and serves a purpose of proving purchase and legal ownership. That being said, the lack of the duplicate sticker(s) by the PCI-E connector is a real pathetic excuses for voiding a warranty. The one serial number sticker should be plenty (and was plenty until recent greedy tactics were exploited). The one serial number sticker says void if removed, and that is the only sticker that should be enforced.
    post edited by ty_ger07 - 2021/12/24 17:40:44

ASRock Z77 • Intel Core i7 3770K • EVGA GTX 1080 • Samsung 850 Pro • Seasonic PRIME 600W Titanium
    My EVGA Score: 1546 • Zero Associates Points • I don't shill

Flint 1760
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    Re: Warranty void stickers illegal in USA? What's EVGA's response to this? 2021/12/24 17:40:46 (permalink)
    I don't get the why of the post.  The OP joined two hours ago and made this their first post two hours ago.

the_Scarlet_one
    formerly Scarlet-tech
    • Total Posts : 24581
    • Ribbons : 79
    Re: Warranty void stickers illegal in USA? What's EVGA's response to this? 2021/12/26 04:32:38 (permalink)
    ty_ger07
    I do wonder what the OP's point is. I wonder their perspective. This has been discussed to death already. All other reasons for voiding a warranty are allowed, right? As said, EVGA's serial number sticker doesn't prevent servicing the card, and serves a purpose of proving purchase and legal ownership. That being said, the lack of the duplicate sticker(s) by the PCI-E connector is a real pathetic excuses for voiding a warranty. The one serial number sticker should be plenty (and was plenty until recent greedy tactics were exploited). The one serial number sticker says void if removed, and that is the only sticker that should be enforced.

The only sticker that says void if removed is on a backplate, which can be moved to any product, even a product that isn’t what it says it is, and the second sticker is in no way visible to the end user when installed, even though a few people remove the pci serial number stating it bothers them… which is just… no.

Since the backplate can be transferred to numerous PCB’s, the “only warranty void if removed” sticker isn’t the only one that should be trusted. The pci serial numbers are just as important.

The second serial number sticker on the pci, that doesn’t match the EVGA serial number, is from the factory itself, and is required to stay so that if EVGA has to send the product back to the factory, they are able to use the warranty information the factory provided.

So yeah, three stickers are required to stay and all three are just as important.
    kdawg6969
    • Total Posts : 2
    • Ribbons : 0
    Re: Warranty void stickers illegal in USA? What's EVGA's response to this? 2022/01/22 20:34:18 (permalink)

if i ever want to service the fan, or peep inside to see what capacitors are being used....
    post edited by kdawg6969 - 2022/01/22 20:39:10
    transdogmifier
    CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
    • Total Posts : 6116
    • Ribbons : 17
    Re: Warranty void stickers illegal in USA? What's EVGA's response to this? 2022/01/23 04:59:14 (permalink)

AMD Ryzen 7900x3d
    Deepcool LT720
    Gigabyte Aorus Elite AX X670 (Might change..don't like this board)
    eVGA GeForce RTX 3090 FTW3 Ultra Gaming (Hybrid kit on it)
    Asus ROG Swift PG43UQ 4k Monitor
    eVGA 1600W Supernova T2 PSU
    32GB Kingston 6000 DDR5 (2x16GB) Fury
    Corsair MP600 Pro 2TB (Boot)
    Corsair MP600 2TB (Games/Data)
    Phanteks P500A Case

ty_ger07
    Insert Custom Title Here
    • Total Posts : 21171
    • Ribbons : 270
    Re: Warranty void stickers illegal in USA? What's EVGA's response to this? 2022/01/23 06:38:00 (permalink)
    kdawg6969

if i ever want to service the fan, or peep inside to see what capacitors are being used....

Go ahead and damage that sticker and then RMA the PSU. If you hear EVGA give you any grief about it, I would be ashamed. It would be very easy for you to argue with them and get them to change their mind.
    I wouldn't sweat it. It is embarrassing for EVGA though.

ASRock Z77 • Intel Core i7 3770K • EVGA GTX 1080 • Samsung 850 Pro • Seasonic PRIME 600W Titanium
    My EVGA Score: 1546 • Zero Associates Points • I don't shill

Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile