EVGA

Weird Fan and Tacho Spike - 3090 FTW3 Ultra

Author
Maroite
  • Total Posts : 3
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 0
2022/01/18 02:05:22 (permalink)
I don't post much here, as luckily I've experienced few issues with the eVGA products I've purchased over the last several decades. This week I've ran into a weird issue with my 3090 card. When playing two specific games - World of Tanks and World of Warships, I get really weird power fluctuations (10% up/down at times) and also my fan's tacho's go nuts on two of the three fans. I can hear the fans wind up to max RPM and then slow back down. The tacho chart looks more like the GPU usage chart, with frequent changes in speed. On one occasion, my PC's monitors went black and the fans on my case went to MAX RPM's. I had to hard reboot, and everything went back to normal.

I've read several articles/forum posts/reddit threads about similar issues, all with varying degrees of "resolution" but the difference between my issue and others is that this only happens in World of Tanks and World of Warships. Every other game I've played doesn't have this issue, including when I played the beta of New World.

I've tried almost every remedy recommended across many posts on the internet and that I could personally think of and the only thing that seems to make a difference for the fan tacho is to manually limit the FPS for the two games in the nVidia Control Panel. This seems to prevent the fans from going nutso, except when I open a menu such as the Armory, Tech Tree or Barracks inside of the game. Once these menus are open, the fan tacho goes nuts again. I've not been able to prevent the fluctuations in power.

I'm wondering if anyone else has had this issue, specifically with these games and if there is a solution before resorting to RMA as I'm currently deployed overseas and RMA is a serious pain/time consuming.

My Build:
MB: Gigabyte Z490 AORUS MASTER
CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM) i9-10900K
RAM: 32GB (16x2) Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB 3200Mhz
GPU: eVGA RTX 3090 FTW3 Ultra
PSU: Super Flower Leadex SE Platinum 1000W

Thanks!

Note: I've also opened a ticket with eVGA for tech support but wanted to see if the community had feedback.

1 Reply Related Threads

ty_ger07
    Insert Custom Title Here
    • Total Posts : 21171
    • Reward points : 0
    • Ribbons : 270
    Re: Weird Fan and Tacho Spike - 3090 FTW3 Ultra 2022/01/18 05:02:39 (permalink)
    One common cause of that symptom is a hot spot on the GPU die. That symptom has been solved for people in the past by taking off the heatsink and replace the thermal compound.

ASRock Z77 • Intel Core i7 3770K • EVGA GTX 1080 • Samsung 850 Pro • Seasonic PRIME 600W Titanium
    My EVGA Score: 1546 • Zero Associates Points • I don't shill

Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile