EVGA

Cpu boosting past set clocks on z390 dark

Author
Rainn
  • Total Posts : 10
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 0
2022/01/16 03:49:42 (permalink)
Hello everyone had this account Is almost a decade old but never posted here before that I remember of.

I have a slight issue (I think) I have recently purchased a Evga Z390 dark to go with my 9900k. All I have done since getting It Is run 3dmark firestrike / timespy etc.
Basically what is happening Is once In a while on random benchmark runs my CPU clock will randomly spike once during said benchmark for a split second. It's happened both whilst running 5.1ghz with OC robot setting and at 5.2 ghz manual settings.

It's random what It will jump to, sometimes it's 5.4, 5.5, 5.6 but on the screenshot attached It spiked to almost 6.6ghz (which I actually think It did apply because my score shot up almost 700 points, I was struggling to get any additional points at all before this) 

My rig consists of Arctic liquid freezer 2 420mm (Idle temps are 10-20c and load temps 65c max as It's on test bench and next to window with very cold tempreatures) Asus LC OC 6800xt, I9 9900k, 16gb 3600mhz t-force ddr4 Ram, Evga P2 650 watt psu.

The bios version Is the latest one bar the one released a couple of days ago.

It's not happened ever on the three previous motherboards I've used the 9900k with. Is It something to be concerned about? Something Intended? Is the motherboard randomly applying the XOC settings for a split second? I'll admit It's cool seeing my CPU hit 6.6ghz. 

Thanks for any help, It's appreciated. I'm not overly concerned right now I'm more curious than anything. 

All the best

Chris

3 Replies Related Threads

cotter32
    Superclocked Member
    • Total Posts : 231
    • Ribbons : 6
    Re: Cpu boosting past set clocks on z390 dark 2022/01/16 14:09:32 (permalink)
    Sounds like OC Robot is doing some experimenting of its own ;)
    Just out of curiosity, is Intel speed stepping and Intel turbo boost on ?

To the Moon ... at amazing speed !

Rainn
    • Total Posts : 10
    • Ribbons : 0
    Re: Cpu boosting past set clocks on z390 dark 2022/01/17 05:43:38 (permalink)
    I have no way of checking at the moment as my 9900k has just been sent off to have "work" done (copper IHS and liquid metal)

I imagine both were enabled though. 

I'm telling myself It's just a software bug and there's no way It could have hit 6.6ghz, etc. It surely would have A) fried, B) not completed the benchmark C) Crashed.

Just odd that my highest scoring runs had this "Issue" was wondering if anyone could shed some light but It appears not.

Thanks for the Input though.
    cotter32
    Superclocked Member
    • Total Posts : 231
    • Ribbons : 6
    Re: Cpu boosting past set clocks on z390 dark 2022/01/19 19:07:44 (permalink)
    That should get some heat out .  The only reason I ask if they were enabled is because I read an article about over-clocking a long time ago that said Intel speed stepping
    and turbo boost often interfere with over-clocking software .  So, if that's true, and they were on, I suppose it might be possible that your processor actually ran at 6.6 Ghz
    due to a software quirk .  I don't know if that would happen with modern processors .  But, let me bore you a little more with something else you reminded me of reading .
    The author of a recent Intel article said that modern processors could safely go "much faster" than they are rated for because the silicon can stand very high heating,
    but what the silicon is connected to cannot .

To the Moon !

Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile