EVGA

X299 Dark Dimm1 not detecting RAM after (failed?) OC

Author
NOXX1S
  • Total Posts : 56
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 0
2022/01/10 05:52:03 (permalink)
So weird thing here, i own a set of Gskill RoyalZ 64GB 3200mhz quadkit and these always showed up. However, today i noticed that 1 stick didn’t show up.
I tried reseating all of them but that didn’t do anything. After that i tried one-by-one and switching them around, then found out dimm1 was not responding even though the rgb works fine and the Dimm-LED was solid white. And here is where it gets funky, I powered the system down, switched through the three BIOS options and did a CMOS reset (i prob only needed to do the last part but oh well). After that all 64GB showed up. But there is more, after doing that i tried applying a OC save that worked before, rebooted, still showed 64. Did a stress test and it froze, rebooted again and then it showed 48GB. So i was back to square one. After that I did the CMOS flip and it showed 64GB again.

What could this be?
The ram kit is fine but i figure it’s either something OC-wise even thought I can’t figure out what. Or the mobo/cpu is acting up but I’m not getting errors. Cpu pins are also fine and nothing on the boards seems damaged.

I’ a bit baffled and scratching my head, any thoughts? Anybody else with something similar?

Lian-Li O11DXL|Corsair AX1200i|EVGA X299 DARK|Intel i9 10980XE 4.7Ghz/1.177V all cores|64 GB G.Skill Trident Z Royal Silver 3200Mhz CL16 1.35V|2*GTX980Ti Asus Strix OC SLI|full custom loop|Samsung 970 EVO+ 2TB NVMe|W11 Pro

7 Replies Related Threads

Cool GTX
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 30975
    • Ribbons : 122
    Re: X299 Dark Dimm1 not detecting RAM after (failed?) OC 2022/01/10 07:04:12 (permalink)
    xDevs.com | OC Guide for EVGA X299 DARK motherboard 

IMC voltage 

hope the CPU is not crippled ... degradation

How to Kill Your CPU with "Safe" Voltages | Raven Ridge ...(excerpt) 
    When we talk damage with parts, we’re talking long-term degradation. Some easy examples would be the System Agent voltage for Intel CPUs (VCCSA); increasing VCCSA to, for example, 1.4V is inadvisable for modern platforms, and will inevitably damage the IMC. For AMD, we might instead talk about SOC voltage – that’s our topic today. Increasing SOC voltage beyond recommended settings, discussed below, would have the effect of damaging the IMC and the APU GFX component’s overclocking ability.
    Over time, a degrading IMC may require more voltage to keep the same memory/GFX frequencies, or it might just lose that frequency altogether, forcing the user to downclock. Outright failure doesn’t happen at voltages close to reason, but will instead manifest over a period of months.
    Of course, the other side of this is the ability to kill a motherboard, which we already demonstrated here.

cant hurt to changer the battery on MB "CR2032".... I remember reading posts about weird problems being reported that were a weak battery

Learn your way around the EVGA Forums, Rules & limits on new accounts Ultimate Self-Starter Thread For New Members

I am a Volunteer Moderator - not an EVGA employee

https://foldingathome.org -->become a citizen scientist and contribute your compute power to help fight global health threats

RTX Project EVGA X99 FTWK Nibbler EVGA X99 Classified EVGA 3080Ti FTW3 Ultra

NOXX1S
    Re: X299 Dark Dimm1 not detecting RAM after (failed?) OC 2022/01/10 07:48:25 (permalink)
    Cool GTX
    xDevs.com | OC Guide for EVGA X299 DARK motherboard 

IMC voltage 

hope the CPU is not crippled ... degradation

How to Kill Your CPU with "Safe" Voltages | Raven Ridge ...(excerpt) 
    When we talk damage with parts, we’re talking long-term degradation. Some easy examples would be the System Agent voltage for Intel CPUs (VCCSA); increasing VCCSA to, for example, 1.4V is inadvisable for modern platforms, and will inevitably damage the IMC. For AMD, we might instead talk about SOC voltage – that’s our topic today. Increasing SOC voltage beyond recommended settings, discussed below, would have the effect of damaging the IMC and the APU GFX component’s overclocking ability.
    Over time, a degrading IMC may require more voltage to keep the same memory/GFX frequencies, or it might just lose that frequency altogether, forcing the user to downclock. Outright failure doesn’t happen at voltages close to reason, but will instead manifest over a period of months.
    Of course, the other side of this is the ability to kill a motherboard, which we already demonstrated here.

cant hurt to changer the battery on MB "CR2032".... I remember reading posts about weird problems being reported that were a weak battery

Was thinking CPU as well but I have an update, it seems that when I turn off XMP I get to see all 64gigs but when i turn it on and reboot, I only see 48. Even with or without a CPU OC.

I just updated the BIOS, even though I already had 1.29 - but the previous build and not the one from 1/12/22, and now it seems to hold the 64GB with XMP enabled. testing as we speak.

Lian-Li O11DXL|Corsair AX1200i|EVGA X299 DARK|Intel i9 10980XE 4.7Ghz/1.177V all cores|64 GB G.Skill Trident Z Royal Silver 3200Mhz CL16 1.35V|2*GTX980Ti Asus Strix OC SLI|full custom loop|Samsung 970 EVO+ 2TB NVMe|W11 Pro

Cool GTX
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 30975
    • Ribbons : 122
    Re: X299 Dark Dimm1 not detecting RAM after (failed?) OC 2022/01/10 10:02:02 (permalink)
    great .... hope it holds for you .... I'm just not a fan of XMP ... I use manual settings every time for OC

just corrupted BIOS ? .. though you mentioned "switched through the three BIOS options" in your first post

"memory training issue" ?  I don't remember if the x299 had that feature

Learn your way around the EVGA Forums, Rules & limits on new accounts Ultimate Self-Starter Thread For New Members

I am a Volunteer Moderator - not an EVGA employee

https://foldingathome.org -->become a citizen scientist and contribute your compute power to help fight global health threats

RTX Project EVGA X99 FTWK Nibbler EVGA X99 Classified EVGA 3080Ti FTW3 Ultra

NOXX1S
    Re: X299 Dark Dimm1 not detecting RAM after (failed?) OC 2022/01/10 10:17:38 (permalink)
    Cool GTX
    great .... hope it holds for you .... I'm just not a fan of XMP ... I use manual settings every time for OC

just corrupted BIOS ? .. though you mentioned "switched through the three BIOS options" in your first post

"memory training issue" ?  I don't remember if the x299 had that feature

I switched between the 3 but two of them wont let me boot, i get a couple beeps and it halts on a debug code but can't remember which one atm. No clue what's up with that but oh well.. boots fine with BIOS 1.

it now seems to hold even after playing with OC and getting a couple BSOD's along the way. It stays at 64 after every reboot.
    Might be a BIOS thing, still strange.. glad the cpu and mobo seem to be fine since the warranty on the board has expired and I don't want to invest in x299 again. 

I never tweaked ram on it's own because of XMP, might do in the near future though.

ZoranC
    FTW Member
    • Total Posts : 1099
    • Ribbons : 16
    Re: X299 Dark Dimm1 not detecting RAM after (failed?) OC 2022/01/10 11:06:12 (permalink)
    If you never flashed your BIOS #2 and 3 to version 1.19 or higher you won't be able to boot with them because Cascade Lake CPUs aren't supported until 1.19. It is impossible to say without knowing which BIOS code you are getting.

Aside from things others already mentioned (bad overclock, corrupted BIOS, bad CMOS battery, ...) it is possible your issue is related to version of BIOS vs. 10980xe. IIRC from reading this forum it seems 10980xe owners have had headaches.

X299 Dark BIOS has a memory training option. I've set mine to be always on.
    NOXX1S
    Re: X299 Dark Dimm1 not detecting RAM after (failed?) OC 2022/01/10 12:26:45 (permalink)
    ZoranC
    If you never flashed your BIOS #2 and 3 to version 1.19 or higher you won't be able to boot with them because Cascade Lake CPUs aren't supported until 1.19. It is impossible to say without knowing which BIOS code you are getting.

Interesting, didn't know that.

ZoranC
    X299 Dark BIOS has a memory training option. I've set mine to be always on.

Good to know, i'll give that a go as well.

thanks all for the input!

ZoranC
    FTW Member
    • Total Posts : 1099
    • Ribbons : 16
    Re: X299 Dark Dimm1 not detecting RAM after (failed?) OC 2022/01/10 12:44:37 (permalink)
    NOXX1S
    thanks all for the input!

You are welcome :) I hope you figure it out, good luck.
    Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile