EVGA

3060ti Firmware update hurt performance

Author
jakelondon
  • Total Posts : 4
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 0
2022/01/07 09:09:58 (permalink)
I had been using afterburner but I'm a fan of evga hardware so I decided to try out the new version of precision. When I ran it, it said my 3060ti needed a firmware update. I didn't have option to opt out so I ok'd it. That was a mistake.

First, I'm running my 3060ti in a VM on my home server to stream steam games to my android tvs. I'd been running this setup since July and it has been working great. Apparently,  PX1 will not work in a VM because it can't detect low-level hardware variables (more on that below). Still, the firmware update ran, 3 red lights above the power connector turned on, the fans went to 100% and the vm rebooted. The update didn't happen because the bios is emulated on a vm. The fans stayed at 100% and the vm booted back to windows. Fortunately, I was able to dual boot into my VM and install the firmware update to get the fans to reset and the red lights to turn off. Unfortunately, my card's performance has been downgraded by a consistent 5-10%. According to 3DMark, the loss of performance is particular to certain situations as the score in Graphics Test 2 is normal while the test on Graphics Test 1 is -15%. 

I've run all of these test several times and I cannot get them higher than the scores listed below. I've used DDU to reinstall drivers. I've rolled back windows to before I installed PX1. According to 3D mark, the card post-firmware is running faster (but performing worse) so the firmware definitely changed something. Is there any way to rollback the firmware?

After

Before

After (note 2D and 3D scores)

Before (Note 2D and 3D scores)

Comparison (After<-->Before)

4 Replies Related Threads

jakelondon
    Re: 3060ti Firmware update hurt performance 2022/01/08 21:21:24 (permalink)
    I realized I forgot to include details about PX1 running in a VM. Previous versions have worked, but the 1.3.0 does not. When I run it, I get two event errors.
    .NET Runtime Error
    Application: PrecisionX_x64.exe
    Framework Version: v4.0.30319
    Description: The process was terminated due to an unhandled exception.
    Exception Info: System.NullReferenceException
    at Library.Model.ResizableBar.MotherBoard..ctor()
    at PX18.ViewModel.ResizableBar.ResizableBarVM.CheckMotherboard()
    at PX18.ViewModel.ResizableBar.ResizableBarVM..ctor(PX18.ViewModel.NvApiViewModel)
    at PX18.ViewModel.NvApiViewModel.VGAViewModel()
    at PX18.ViewModel.NvApiViewModel..ctor()
    Exception Info: System.Reflection.TargetInvocationException
    at System.RuntimeTypeHandle.CreateInstance(System.RuntimeType, Boolean, Boolean, Boolean ByRef, System.RuntimeMethodHandleInternal ByRef, Boolean ByRef)
    at System.RuntimeType.CreateInstanceSlow(Boolean, Boolean, Boolean, System.Threading.StackCrawlMark ByRef)
    at System.Activator.CreateInstance(System.Type, Boolean)
    at System.RuntimeType.CreateInstanceImpl(System.Reflection.BindingFlags, System.Reflection.Binder, System.Object[], System.Globalization.CultureInfo, System.Object[], System.Threading.StackCrawlMark ByRef)
    at System.Activator.CreateInstance(System.Type, System.Reflection.BindingFlags, System.Reflection.Binder, System.Object[], System.Globalization.CultureInfo, System.Object[])
    at System.Activator.CreateInstance(System.Type, System.Object[])
    at System.Xaml.Schema.SafeReflectionInvoker.CreateInstanceCritical(System.Type, System.Object[])
    at System.Xaml.Schema.XamlTypeInvoker.CreateInstance(System.Object[])
    at MS.Internal.Xaml.Runtime.ClrObjectRuntime.CreateInstance(System.Xaml.XamlType, System.Object[])
    at MS.Internal.Xaml.Runtime.PartialTrustTolerantRuntime.CreateInstance(System.Xaml.XamlType, System.Object[])
    at System.Xaml.XamlObjectWriter.Logic_CreateAndAssignToParentStart(MS.Internal.Xaml.Context.ObjectWriterContext)
    at System.Xaml.XamlObjectWriter.WriteEndObject()
    at System.Windows.Markup.WpfXamlLoader.TransformNodes(System.Xaml.XamlReader, System.Xaml.XamlObjectWriter, Boolean, Boolean, Boolean, System.Xaml.IXamlLineInfo, System.Xaml.IXamlLineInfoConsumer, MS.Internal.Xaml.Context.XamlContextStack`1<System.Windows.Markup.WpfXamlFrame>, System.Windows.Markup.IStyleConnector)
    at System.Windows.Markup.WpfXamlLoader.Load(System.Xaml.XamlReader, System.Xaml.IXamlObjectWriterFactory, Boolean, System.Object, System.Xaml.XamlObjectWriterSettings, System.Uri)
    at System.Windows.Markup.WpfXamlLoader.LoadBaml(System.Xaml.XamlReader, Boolean, System.Object, System.Xaml.Permissions.XamlAccessLevel, System.Uri)
    at System.Windows.Markup.XamlReader.LoadBaml(System.IO.Stream, System.Windows.Markup.ParserContext, System.Object, Boolean)
    at PX18.View.MainWindow..ctor()
    at PX18.App.App_Startup(System.Object, System.Windows.StartupEventArgs)
    at System.Windows.Application.OnStartup(System.Windows.StartupEventArgs)
    at System.Windows.Application.<.ctor>b__1_0(System.Object)
    at System.Windows.Threading.ExceptionWrapper.InternalRealCall(System.Delegate, System.Object, Int32)
    at System.Windows.Threading.ExceptionWrapper.TryCatchWhen(System.Object, System.Delegate, System.Object, Int32, System.Delegate)
    at System.Windows.Threading.DispatcherOperation.InvokeImpl()
    at MS.Internal.CulturePreservingExecutionContext.CallbackWrapper(System.Object)
    at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.RunInternal(System.Threading.ExecutionContext, System.Threading.ContextCallback, System.Object, Boolean)
    at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.Run(System.Threading.ExecutionContext, System.Threading.ContextCallback, System.Object, Boolean)
    at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.Run(System.Threading.ExecutionContext, System.Threading.ContextCallback, System.Object)
    at MS.Internal.CulturePreservingExecutionContext.Run(MS.Internal.CulturePreservingExecutionContext, System.Threading.ContextCallback, System.Object)
    at System.Windows.Threading.DispatcherOperation.Invoke()
    at System.Windows.Threading.Dispatcher.ProcessQueue()
    at System.Windows.Threading.Dispatcher.WndProcHook(IntPtr, Int32, IntPtr, IntPtr, Boolean ByRef)
    at MS.Win32.HwndWrapper.WndProc(IntPtr, Int32, IntPtr, IntPtr, Boolean ByRef)
    at MS.Win32.HwndSubclass.DispatcherCallbackOperation(System.Object)
    at System.Windows.Threading.ExceptionWrapper.InternalRealCall(System.Delegate, System.Object, Int32)
    at System.Windows.Threading.ExceptionWrapper.TryCatchWhen(System.Object, System.Delegate, System.Object, Int32, System.Delegate)
    at System.Windows.Threading.Dispatcher.LegacyInvokeImpl(System.Windows.Threading.DispatcherPriority, System.TimeSpan, System.Delegate, System.Object, Int32)
    at MS.Win32.HwndSubclass.SubclassWndProc(IntPtr, Int32, IntPtr, IntPtr)
    at MS.Win32.UnsafeNativeMethods.DispatchMessage(System.Windows.Interop.MSG ByRef)
    at System.Windows.Threading.Dispatcher.PushFrameImpl(System.Windows.Threading.DispatcherFrame)
    at System.Windows.Application.RunDispatcher(System.Object)
    at System.Windows.Application.RunInternal(System.Windows.Window)
    at PX18.App.Main()
    at PX18.Program.Main()

Application Error
    Faulting application name: PrecisionX_x64.exe, version: 1.3.0.0, time stamp: 0x61bc3613
    Faulting module name: KERNELBASE.dll, version: 10.0.19041.423, time stamp: 0xed02c0bc
    Exception code: 0xe0434352
    Fault offset: 0x0000000000023e49
    Faulting process id: 0x1324
    Faulting application start time: 0x01d8051813949d87
    Faulting application path: C:\Program Files\EVGA\Precision X1\PrecisionX_x64.exe
    Faulting module path: C:\Windows\System32\KERNELBASE.dll
    Report Id: 592a7281-7053-49c6-b5e3-8d0a7aab610b
    Faulting package full name:
    Faulting package-relative application ID:

CraptacularOne
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    • Total Posts : 14533
    • Ribbons : 222
    Re: 3060ti Firmware update hurt performance 2022/01/08 21:49:57 (permalink)
    300 points could be anything. That's hardly reason to sound the alarm, could be more processes were running in the background maybe the card got a little warmer and didn't turbo as high.....etc. 300 points isn't even worth worrying about. Least of which in Superposition. Try running 3Dmark instead. 

Intel i9 14900K ...............................Ryzen 9 7950X3D
    MSI RTX 4090 Gaming Trio................ASRock Phantom RX 7900 XTX
    Samsung Odyssey G9.......................PiMax 5K Super/Meta Quest 3
    ASUS ROG Strix Z690-F Gaming........ASUS TUF Gaming X670E Plus WiFi
    64GB G.Skill Trident Z5 6800Mhz.......64GB Kingston Fury RGB 6000Mhz
    MSI MPG A1000G 1000w..................EVGA G3 SuperNova 1000w
    jakelondon
    Re: 3060ti Firmware update hurt performance 2022/01/09 12:16:35 (permalink)
    If it were only 5% in superposition, you're right...no big deal.

But the numbers are lower in every test I run...consistently. Also, graphics test 1 in 3dmark (time spy) suggests that the performance hit can be as much as 15% in some cases. In the screenshot below (firestrike) the numbers are much worse (graphics score is down 24%...it's the same as the 1080 this card replaced).

I'm just trying to figure out what caused it. The card seems to run fine outside of a VM so the card isn't defective. My guess is it's a software thing with how the card responds to the virtualized OS. All I'm asking for is a way to rollback the firmware update so I can rule it out.

jakelondon
    Re: 3060ti Firmware update hurt performance 2022/01/10 09:39:15 (permalink)
    Problem is solved; I am stupid.

I updated my VM host (ubuntu) right around the time I upgraded the firmware. Some packages that manage the CPU governor were in the update. This defaulted my governors to powersave. I've set them back to performance and the card is now performing as expected.

I knew something was off when the firestrike numbers were as bad as they were. That's a CPU heavy test and the numbers were abysmal. I then started watching my cpu speed on the host and noticed that they seemed eager to drop back to the min speed regardless of what was happening in the VM. As soon as I saw it, I knew I had a governor problem.

Sorry for the false alarm.

Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile