EVGA

Kritical Thermal Pad kit - Results w/ 3080ti XC3 Ultra Gaming

Author
s1rrah
  • Total Posts : 32
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 1
2022/01/01 13:19:10 (permalink)
I installed the Kritical pads thermal pad set today and the results are just about as I was expecting.  My particular card already had fairly good memory temps with the stock EVGA thermal pads and compared to others I've seen posting online, I couldn't see how they could or would get dramatically better.   Long story short?  The Kritical pads performed noticeably better (4C drop) during the Nbminer test and almost identical to the EVGA stock pads during the TimeSpy Extreme stress test. 

I had replaced the EVGA thermal putty that covers the VRM areas with T-Global TG-PP-10 putty a couple months ago when I first got the card so that may or may not have some influence on temps when using the stock EVGA thermal pads.  I re applied the T-Global today when installing the Kritical pads and did not use the pads that Kritical supplies to replace the putty over the VRM areas. 

A few notes:
  • GPU is an EVGA 3080 ti XC3 Ultra Gaming
  • All tests conducted at a constant ambient temperature of 22 Celcius.  
  • NBMiner EHT for 15 minutes was used as a pure VRAM max/avg temperature test.
  • 20 loops of Timespy Extreme stress test was used a general gaming max/avg temp test.
  • The NBMiner test used a static fan speed (details below)
  • The Timespy Extreme stress test used a fan curve (details below)
  • T-Global TP-PP-10 putty was used on VRM's in place of EVGA putty for all tests

NBMiner EHT - 15 minutes
------------------------------------------------------------
Static Fan Speed: 80% / 2,615 RPM
Power Limit: 85%
Mem OC (After burner): +500
Room Ambient: 22C

EVGA Stock Pads
--
Max VRAM temp: 84C
Avg VRAM temp: 73C

KRITICAL Pads
--
Max VRAM temp: 80C
Avg VRAM temp: 66C

Timespy Extreme Stress Test - 20 loops
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Fan Curve Max: 72% / 2,376 RPM
Power Limit: 100%
Core OC (Afterburner): +150
Mem OC (Afterburner): +500
Room Ambient: 22C

EVGA Stock Pads
--
Max VRAM temp: 78C
Avg VRAM temp: 74C

KRITICAL Pads
--
Max VRAM temp: 78C
Avg VRAM temp: 72C

So definitely some worthwhile gains in the mining scenario and pretty much identical temps with the Timespy Extreme tests.  Real world gaming thermals differ dramatically from game to game, however and perhaps similar gains as seen with the mining test will be more apparent in different games. It was fun to test, though and I hope the new pads/putty last a good while.  

Kritical Pads: General Gaming Test 

I followed the "controlled tests" above with about 4 hours of non stop gaming at my cards max overclock and fans at +/- 73% ... Horizon Zero Dawn, Cyberpunk 2077, Metro Exodus, Rise of the Tomb Raider, Control and Hellblade: Senua's Sacrifice. All gamed running at 3840x1600 resolution and ultra settings. These are the games that I've personally found to most push my GPU the most. During that real world gaming scenario, VRAM temps with the Kritical pads never exceeded 78C while core temps never went past 68C ... those two numbers were eerily consistent throughout the entire 4 hour gaming session, with a near constant 10C delta between VRAM and core temps throughout. Here's the data as reported by HWINFO64 during the above mentioned gaming test...

I  honestly didn't want to install the Kritical pads cause things were already working very well with the card and thought I might jinx it. LOL ... I'm very much of the opinion that if it works, then don't try and fix it but my curiosity generally wins out.

Final Thoughts  

It's safe to say the Kritical pads are a sure bet and well worth the money ($29.95 for a complete 3080ti XC3 set).  My particular 3080Ti performed quite well already with the stock EVGA pads on the VRAM but some users are having a much different experience, seeing VRAM temps hitting upwards of  100C in many cases depending on the particular 30 series GPU and in those cases, replacing thermal pads is the obvious first step in attempting to bring down memory temps. 

The Kritical pads come very well packaged and the cut quality is precise and consistent. The owner has built a very clean and functional ordering system and the entire process was snag free from click to ship.  The pads themselves are also very easy to work with and do not deform too easily but also are highly compressible.  And Kritical pads come in the precise EVGA spec'd heights that are nearly impossible to find short of custom sourcing (ie: 2.25mm pads over VRAM / 2.75mm pads over other areas, etc.).  So again, absolutely no reason to buy whole sheets and cut your own pads unless you enjoy self mutilation or are otherwise slightly masochistic lol ... when you can simply order demonstrably high quality pre cut kits from Kritical. 

It should be said that one can also order complete pad sets direct from EVGA too if you request them and as the above tests have shown, the EVGA pads are really not that bad. Unlike Kritical sets, EVGA does not include pads to replace the thermal putty over the VRM areas and you'd need to buy the EVGA putty separately (or T-Global TG-PP-10 putty).  And also very important to note here ... if you ever need to request RMA/Warranty repair for your EVGA GPU, then you will need to send your card back in absolute factory condition.  Therefore, if you've changed either the stock EVGA thermal pads or putty, then you will need to re install those stock pads/putty before shipping your card back to avoid possible (and probable) denial of your warranty claim. 

Oh yeah, repasted the GPU core today (Noctua NH-1 same as before) and max core temps went from 70C to 68C in the Timespy Extreme test so I'll take that too, thank you.  

~s1rrah
post edited by s1rrah - 2022/01/02 09:15:55

DeskTop: 8086K@5.4ghz / Maximus X Code Z370 / AW3821DW 38" / LG C1 48" / EVGA 3080 ti / 2TB WD m.2 / 2TB Evo 970
LaPTop: Area 51m R2 / mod'd Giryriz cooler / 3TB m.2 / 32gb DDR4 / 2070 Super

6 Replies Related Threads

ty_ger07
    Insert Custom Title Here
    • Total Posts : 21174
    • Ribbons : 270
    Re: Kritical Thermal Pad kit - Results w/ 3080ti XC3 Ultra Gaming 2022/01/01 17:55:08 (permalink)
    s1rrah
     EVGA does not include pads to replace the thermal putty over the VRM areas and you'd need to buy the EVGA putty separately (or T-Global TG-PP-10 putty).

Note: if you ever send the card into EVGA for a warranty claim, you will need to buy that thermal putty and reapply it where EVGA originally decided that thermal putty waa appropriate.

For the time, expense, and hassle, your results seem like it isn't really worth it.

ASRock Z77 • Intel Core i7 3770K • EVGA GTX 1080 • Samsung 850 Pro • Seasonic PRIME 600W Titanium
    My EVGA Score: 1546 • Zero Associates Points • I don't shill

s1rrah
    Re: Kritical Thermal Pad kit - Results w/ 3080ti XC3 Ultra Gaming 2022/01/02 09:01:48 (permalink)
    ty_ger07
    Note: if you ever send the card into EVGA for a warranty claim, you will need to buy that thermal putty and reapply it where EVGA originally decided that thermal putty waa appropriate.

For the time, expense, and hassle, your results seem like it isn't really worth it.

Your point about replacing the VRM putty with EVGA's own putty and also re applying stock EVGA thermal pads on the VRAM in an RMA/Warranty claim scenario is very important and absolutely correct as EVGA has and will deny warranty claims if any given card is not in am absolute factory configuration when returned.  I keep both stock EVGA pads and putty on hand for just such a worst case scenario but hope I never see that to be necessary.  Thanks for that and I edited the original review to reflect your point...

And your also correct in regards to general gaming and my particular test results, though serious miners will take every thermal performance gain they can get so a 4C drop in my test could be of interest to some. 

That being said, other users have had dramatically better results overall when replacing EVGA stock thermal pads, some seeing up to a 20C drop but my card simply worked really well right out of the box. 

Depending on the particular 30 series GPU, be it from EVGA or some other manufacturer?  ~100C VRAM temps are not uncommon in the least.  In such cases I think it certainly worthwhile to try various modifications to lower that number if possible and replacing VRAM pads is the obvious first step.  And having access to pre cut, complete sets such as Kritical provides can save folk a great deal of time/work during that process.  

post edited by s1rrah - 2022/01/02 09:17:34

DeskTop: 8086K@5.4ghz / Maximus X Code Z370 / AW3821DW 38" / LG C1 48" / EVGA 3080 ti / 2TB WD m.2 / 2TB Evo 970

Intoxicus
    iCX Member
    • Total Posts : 406
    • Ribbons : 0
    Re: Kritical Thermal Pad kit - Results w/ 3080ti XC3 Ultra Gaming 2022/01/03 14:27:14 (permalink)
    s1rrah
    ty_ger07

Your point about replacing the VRM putty with EVGA's own putty and also re applying stock EVGA thermal pads on the VRAM in an RMA/Warranty claim scenario is very important and absolutely correct as EVGA has and will deny warranty claims if any given card is not in am absolute factory configuration when returned.  I keep both stock EVGA pads and putty on hand for just such a worst case scenario but hope I never see that to be necessary.  Thanks for that and I edited the original review to reflect your point...

And your also correct in regards to general gaming and my particular test results, though serious miners will take every thermal performance gain they can get so a 4C drop in my test could be of interest to some. 

That being said, other users have had dramatically better results overall when replacing EVGA stock thermal pads, some seeing up to a 20C drop but my card simply worked really well right out of the box. 

Depending on the particular 30 series GPU, be it from EVGA or some other manufacturer?  ~100C VRAM temps are not uncommon in the least.  In such cases I think it certainly worthwhile to try various modifications to lower that number if possible and replacing VRAM pads is the obvious first step.  And having access to pre cut, complete sets such as Kritical provides can save folk a great deal of time/work during that process.  

EVGA is classic for being very forgiving and kind about such things.

The only ones I've seen denied are outright physical damage and user caused damages. 

I've not heard of anything being refused for RMA because it wasn't stock pads, putty, and paste.
    If they are going to get uptight about then they need to supply us with replacement thermal pad sets because of stuff like DIY hybrid kits.

"Humans are not rational animals, humans are rationalizing animals." -Robert A Heinlein
    talon951
    FTW Member
    • Total Posts : 1026
    • Ribbons : 3
    Re: Kritical Thermal Pad kit - Results w/ 3080ti XC3 Ultra Gaming 2022/01/03 15:37:02 (permalink)
    They do supply the original pads and putty just for this reason.
    ty_ger07
    Insert Custom Title Here
    • Total Posts : 21174
    • Ribbons : 270
    Re: Kritical Thermal Pad kit - Results w/ 3080ti XC3 Ultra Gaming 2022/01/03 17:35:06 (permalink)
    Intoxicus
    EVGA is classic for being very forgiving and kind about such things.

The only ones I've seen denied are outright physical damage and user caused damages. 

I've not heard of anything being refused for RMA because it wasn't stock pads, putty, and paste.
    If they are going to get uptight about then they need to supply us with replacement thermal pad sets because of stuff like DIY hybrid kits.

Not any more. Read examples on this forum. EVGA has started denying warranties if people send in cards with missing thermal pads, thermal pads where thermal putty was originally, or thermal paste applied where thermal pads were originally. There are plenty of examples.

Example:
    https://forums.evga.com/A...ies-card-m3498065.aspx
    EVGATech_DanielM
    transdogmifier
    I concur the putty is crap.

Edit; Btw, asking us to reputty something to RMA it is also crap. That garbage disintegrates off the card when you take
    it apart for the hybrid kit. Either use pads that hold up to reuse to RMA or accept cards without the damn putty.
    Used to be that I could expect better from eVGA, but I'm beginning to see no difference between manufacturers.
    I'll likely buy from Asus next time
    We disagree. As EVGA is one of the more tolerant in regards to warranty and disassembly of the card simply requesting you to return the item back to factory condition is not a huge ask. We encourage our customers to get the most out of their cards but if you need warranty we expect you to at least return the item in factory spec which includes all thermal pads and if the product requires it - the putty as well.

As our R&D team determined that the putty is best case here this is not to avoid putting a pad in a place to cut costs. We are sorry you will decide to buy ASUS in the future but please keep in mind their terms and conditions in regards to disassembly of a GPU.

talon951
    They do supply the original pads and putty just for this reason.

Yes, you can buy them from EVGA. Not free.

I just wonder if such small improvements of the mod done in this thread is worth the time, hassle, and expense.
    post edited by ty_ger07 - 2022/01/03 17:40:01

ASRock Z77 • Intel Core i7 3770K • EVGA GTX 1080 • Samsung 850 Pro • Seasonic PRIME 600W Titanium
    My EVGA Score: 1546 • Zero Associates Points • I don't shill

s1rrah
    Re: Kritical Thermal Pad kit - Results w/ 3080ti XC3 Ultra Gaming 2022/01/04 05:03:21 (permalink)
    ty_ger07
    I just wonder if such small improvements of the mod done in this thread is worth the time, hassle, and expense.

For me it was simply a novel experiment and completely unnecessary as my memory temps were really great right out of the box with this XC3 card.  Other users, some with the very same card and some with 30 series cards from Asus/Gigabyte/Nvidia/etc. are commonly seeing memory temps hit 100C and higher and in those latter cases I think replacing the VRAM thermal pads would be highly recommended be it using pads from Kritical or otherwise. 

A user at overclock.net recently messaged me, saying his stock TUF 3080Ti sees memory temps spike at 104C when gaming and that he would be applying new thermal pads simply to try and reduce that number.  So I think it's a case by case situation whether it might be worth the effort or not.  But as far as tear downs go, the EVGA 30 series (and others) are really quite simple/easy; there is really nothing difficult about it.  The Nvidia FE cards are another story LOL ... I installed two EVGA hybrid coolers on dual 980 FE cards back in the day and man what a nightmare of tiny screws and strange alignments that was.    

But I enjoy taking things apart and trying to further improve them so results notwithstanding, I find it worthwhile and fun.

Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile