EVGA

Very Dissatisfied with EVGA Step-Up Program - Never again will I get anymore EVGA products

Author
ROCKmanX
  • Total Posts : 2
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 0
2021/12/02 21:16:44 (permalink)
No where on EVGA's step-up program does it state that EVGA will only honor the MSRP and not what you paid for. Literally all video cards and now purchased and resold by scalpers and too high a cost now. Three months ago I purchased an 3060 EVGA card and signed up for the step up program and for 3 months it sat in the que till last week when I got a response that EVGA was reviewing it. This Tuesday I got a response as to the cost of the card that I would step up for. I choose the 3080 and not the Ti. Just one with RGB. Cost was 919.99. I paid 825.00 for the 3060 on Amazon brand new. I thought the Step-Up program will deduct 825.00 from 919.99 but instead I found out EVGA will deduct 410.00 leaving 509.99. With taxes and shipping added it came to a total of about 592.00. That is almost $600. Why would I pay an extra $600 on top of the $825 I paid for. That would come out to $1425. That's the same cost for getting a 3080 on Amazon or Newegg or anywhere else. No where on the site did it clearly educate anyone on how Step-Up only covers MSRP. It only clarifies that to remove shipping and taxes paid. EVGA is horrible for this deceptive practice. Basically EVGA is also selling cards like scalpers.

I go and cancel the step up to then reply for a 3070 or 3060Ti and instead it says that the 90 Day grace period ended literally 12/01. It's now 12/02. If I would have been informed about all of this last week when EVGA contacted me then I would have avoided missing the end date of by 1 day.

Never again will I ever purchase any video card let alone any other products from EVGA and trust me I used to refer and purchase their products for their longevity, but now that's changed due to how deceiptful EVGA is. Horrible Service from EVGA. I'm definently going to see if I can bring this attention to The Wan Show on LTT.

18 Replies Related Threads

FDexter
    • Total Posts : 6
    Re: Very Dissatisfied with EVGA Step-Up Program - Never again will I get anymore EVGA prod 2021/12/02 21:50:00 (permalink)
    I completely understand why you're upset. I was a little blind-sided by the cost of my step-up from the 3080 Ti to the 3090, but the Step Up page says this:

https://www.evga.com/support/stepup/
    CALCULATING STEP-UP COSTS
    Simply put, the cost of EVGA Step-Up is the difference between what you paid for your original product and the new product listed at the EVGA Store. To calculate what you paid, follow these simple steps:
    • Add line-item price
    If you purchase a product as part of a Bundle or DIY from EVGA.com, you must subtract the discount applied to all items. See the above FAQ or example below for an explanation on how to determine the correct cost for a Bundle or DIY item.
    • Do not include taxes.
    • Do not include shipping.
    • Subtract rebates from the line item-price.
    • Subtract from MSRP as listed on EVGA.

CraptacularOne
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    • Total Posts : 14533
    • Ribbons : 222
    Re: Very Dissatisfied with EVGA Step-Up Program - Never again will I get anymore EVGA prod 2021/12/02 22:23:03 (permalink)
    ROCKmanX
    No where on EVGA's step-up program does it state that EVGA will only honor the MSRP and not what you paid for. Literally all video cards and now purchased and resold by scalpers and too high a cost now. Three months ago I purchased an 3060 EVGA card and signed up for the step up program and for 3 months it sat in the que till last week when I got a response that EVGA was reviewing it. This Tuesday I got a response as to the cost of the card that I would step up for. I choose the 3080 and not the Ti. Just one with RGB. Cost was 919.99. I paid 825.00 for the 3060 on Amazon brand new. I thought the Step-Up program will deduct 825.00 from 919.99 but instead I found out EVGA will deduct 410.00 leaving 509.99. With taxes and shipping added it came to a total of about 592.00. That is almost $600. Why would I pay an extra $600 on top of the $825 I paid for. That would come out to $1425. That's the same cost for getting a 3080 on Amazon or Newegg or anywhere else. No where on the site did it clearly educate anyone on how Step-Up only covers MSRP. It only clarifies that to remove shipping and taxes paid. EVGA is horrible for this deceptive practice. Basically EVGA is also selling cards like scalpers.

I go and cancel the step up to then reply for a 3070 or 3060Ti and instead it says that the 90 Day grace period ended literally 12/01. It's now 12/02. If I would have been informed about all of this last week when EVGA contacted me then I would have avoided missing the end date of by 1 day.

Never again will I ever purchase any video card let alone any other products from EVGA and trust me I used to refer and purchase their products for their longevity, but now that's changed due to how deceiptful EVGA is. Horrible Service from EVGA. I'm definently going to see if I can bring this attention to The Wan Show on LTT.

You didn't buy the card from "Amazon" if you paid $825 for a RTX 3060, you bought it from a marketplace seller. So that $825 you paid (which is $415 over MSRP) EVGA didn't see a dime of that additional money. Why in their right mind would they honor a scalpers price and give you credit for that amount when EVGA themselves only charge $410 for the same card? 

And yes they clearly state they only honor MSRP as listed on their store (which apparently you didn't bother to read)
    https://www.evga.com/support/stepup/

• Subtract from MSRP as listed on EVGA.
    Oh do please, bring this up on a WAN show, I'd love to watch you get roasted by Linus or Luke for not bothering to read

Intel i9 14900K ...............................Ryzen 9 7950X3D
    MSI RTX 4090 Gaming Trio................ASRock Phantom RX 7900 XTX
    Samsung Odyssey G9.......................PiMax 5K Super/Meta Quest 3
    ASUS ROG Strix Z690-F Gaming........ASUS TUF Gaming X670E Plus WiFi
    64GB G.Skill Trident Z5 6800Mhz.......64GB Kingston Fury RGB 6000Mhz
    MSI MPG A1000G 1000w..................EVGA G3 SuperNova 1000w
    rjohnson11
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 102231
    • Ribbons : 84
    Re: Very Dissatisfied with EVGA Step-Up Program - Never again will I get anymore EVGA prod 2021/12/03 00:03:06 (permalink)
    I'd also like to point out that EVGA is probably the only company left that does step-ups. 

AMD Ryzen 9 7950X,  Corsair Mp700 Pro M.2, 64GB Corsair Dominator Titanium DDR5  X670E Steel Legend, MSI RTX 4090 Associate Code: H5U80QBH6BH0AXF. I am NOT an employee of EVGA

msromike
    • Total Posts : 64
    Re: Very Dissatisfied with EVGA Step-Up Program - Never again will I get anymore EVGA prod 2021/12/03 02:06:45 (permalink)
    I paid almost $2500 between the scalper and the StepUp for an RTX 3080 FTW3 Ultra 10GB (non-LHR last of the batch). I'm amazed at this GPU and how well it was made (short of some thermal pad issues that can be rectified and without losing warranty which is rare). No GPU Card manufacturer has it easy or is giving Step Ups or even has basic stock. When was the last time you saw a GPU for MSRP? EVGA still got me my dream GPU in the middle of a pandemic and a GPU supply crisis so as far as I'm concerned they rock. This isn't a program where you are trading something EVGA can just turn back around and sell. If you had a 3060 the technology is close to yesterday's tech. Should EVGA buy your used GPU which will require their time and effort (=money) to even possibly turn a profit off and give you what you paid for it? EVGA didn't pick the distributer you did. It's not an issue of EVGA being deceptive it's a case of unaccounted-for factors. I paid twice what I should have for my 3080 "StepUp opportunity" from eBay paying $1400 for a 2070 Super with a StepUp to the 3080 FTW3 Ultra 10G in the pipeline. I knew what I would pay when it was time to Step Up and I am still happy with my purchase. We put ourselves in these positions so you can not like it and that's cool! You have the right to your opinion. But, as far as EVGA's lone StepUp program it was a way for me to get my dream computer set up with my dream GPU and I was willing to pay the price. Sorry, you feel like you got screwed. You are not the first either but nobody seems to read the cost breakdown first before committing to the StepUp as it's not a requirement it's a Unicorn among all other GPU manufacturers as no other company will buy your used GPU back and credit it towards a top of the line upgrade. Best Regards    

No matter where you go..There you are.

Corsair 7000D
     AMD 5950X
    64GB G.Skill Trident Z Royal Series 64GB (2 x 32GB)
    SAMSUNG 980 PRO SSD 1TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe Gen 4 Gaming M.2
    Crucial MX500 2TB 3D NAND SATA
    CORSAIR iCUE H170i ELITE CAPELLIX Liquid CPU Cooler
    ASUS 570X ROG STRIX Gamer WiFi2
    ASUS ROG Strix LC NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 Ti OC Edition 
    EVGA SuperNOVA 1600 P2
    For Development/PC Gaming/VR
    Hoggle
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 10098
    • Ribbons : 4
    Re: Very Dissatisfied with EVGA Step-Up Program - Never again will I get anymore EVGA prod 2021/12/03 02:45:01 (permalink)
    rjohnson11
    I'd also like to point out that EVGA is probably the only company left that does step-ups. 

I think this is really important to remember. The step-up program is only offered by EVGA and really good for when you need to have more performance in the games you're playing then the card you bought is offering you.

Use an Associates Code & SAVE 5% - 10% on your purchase. Just click on the associates banner to save, or enter the associates code at checkout on your next purchase. If you choose to use my code I want to personally say "Thank You" for using it. 

nomoss
    FTW Member
    • Total Posts : 1559
    • Ribbons : 7
    Re: Very Dissatisfied with EVGA Step-Up Program - Never again will I get anymore EVGA prod 2021/12/03 06:30:51 (permalink)
    Tell us you didn't read the Step Up Program details without telling us that you didn't read the Step Up Program details.

Looking forward to the show where Linus explains what "reading" means.

Associates code:  9OYA1P1FRHQ3SGN
    Imgur    modsrigs:  Chemical X   RedWing   Utonium   TY for the +1s! 

aka_STEVE_b
    EGC Admin
    • Total Posts : 17692
    • Ribbons : 69
    Re: Very Dissatisfied with EVGA Step-Up Program - Never again will I get anymore EVGA prod 2021/12/03 06:48:58 (permalink)

Hoggle
    rjohnson11

I think this is really important to remember. The step-up program is only offered by EVGA and really good for when you need to have more performance in the games you're playing then the card you bought is offering you.

Exactly -  Only company left doing it from what I know of....  

AMD RYZEN 9 5900X  12-core cpu~ ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Dark Hero ~ EVGA RTX 3080 Ti FTW3~ G.SKILL Trident Z NEO 32GB DDR4-3600 ~ Phanteks Eclipse P400s red case ~ EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 G+ PSU ~ Intel 660p M.2 drive~ Crucial MX300 275 GB SSD ~WD 2TB SSD ~CORSAIR H115i RGB Pro XT 280mm cooler ~ CORSAIR Dark Core RGB Pro mouse ~ CORSAIR K68 Mech keyboard ~ HGST 4TB Hd.~ AOC AGON 32" monitor 1440p @ 144Hz ~ Win 10 x64
    Doumi111
    • Total Posts : 66
    Re: Very Dissatisfied with EVGA Step-Up Program - Never again will I get anymore EVGA prod 2021/12/05 05:30:37 (permalink)
    While I agree with most of you on how step up cost should be calculated, it worries me now because I am on step up queue for a RTX 3080 since October 2nd 2020 (yeah, 2020, you read it right, European queue is not moving at all...), and will have to trade an RTX 2080 Super.

By the time I bought it, September 2020, on French Amazon (sold and shipped by Amazon, not third party reseller), I assumed it was at its regular price (720€), although the RTX 20 series were already removed from EVGA store when I registered for step up, so I could not check what was its price.

Since I'm in queue, the step up cost appears to be 149€ (133€ without shipping). But from what I understand, it's on step 2 that real step up cost is calculated. Any chance someone could clarify this for me? Would be great if someone from EVGA could speak up on this! : )
    transdogmifier
    CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
    • Total Posts : 6116
    • Ribbons : 17
    Re: Very Dissatisfied with EVGA Step-Up Program - Never again will I get anymore EVGA prod 2021/12/05 05:46:16 (permalink)
    Title should read "I'm dissatisfied with not reading and comprehending the step up rules" ...

on another note:
    Doumi, they'll only give you MSRP ..they won't give you anything over MSRP ...(My understanding, anyway)...so if the MSRP was 600 Euro and you paid 720, you only get 600 credit.

AMD Ryzen 7900x3d
    Deepcool LT720
    Gigabyte Aorus Elite AX X670 (Might change..don't like this board)
    eVGA GeForce RTX 3090 FTW3 Ultra Gaming (Hybrid kit on it)
    Asus ROG Swift PG43UQ 4k Monitor
    eVGA 1600W Supernova T2 PSU
    32GB Kingston 6000 DDR5 (2x16GB) Fury
    Corsair MP600 Pro 2TB (Boot)
    Corsair MP600 2TB (Games/Data)
    Phanteks P500A Case

Doumi111
    Re: Very Dissatisfied with EVGA Step-Up Program - Never again will I get anymore EVGA prod 2021/12/05 06:12:16 (permalink)
    Yeah, and I don't expect EVGA to trade for more than MSRP, but I'm actually guessing 720€ was MSRP, but to be sure, I should look over what was the price EVGA sold them off, a year and half ago... I can't find it anywhere, because as soon as the 3000 series launched last year, they removed the old ones from their store.

And yes I know how to read, if it was aimed at me. -_-
    CraptacularOne
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    Re: Very Dissatisfied with EVGA Step-Up Program - Never again will I get anymore EVGA prod 2021/12/05 08:25:31 (permalink)
    Doumi111
    Yeah, and I don't expect EVGA to trade for more than MSRP, but I'm actually guessing 720€ was MSRP, but to be sure, I should look over what was the price EVGA sold them off, a year and half ago... I can't find it anywhere, because as soon as the 3000 series launched last year, they removed the old ones from their store.

And yes I know how to read, if it was aimed at me. -_-

That comment he made wasn't aimed at you but the OP here.

As for your step up cost, yes the final and correct amount of your step up will be calculated when you get the next email. 

Cool GTX
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 30969
    • Ribbons : 122
    Re: Very Dissatisfied with EVGA Step-Up Program - Never again will I get anymore EVGA prod 2021/12/05 09:05:06 (permalink)
    Doumi111
    While I agree with most of you on how step up cost should be calculated, it worries me now because I am on step up queue for a RTX 3080 since October 2nd 2020 (yeah, 2020, you read it right, European queue is not moving at all...), and will have to trade an RTX 2080 Super.

By the time I bought it, September 2020, on French Amazon (sold and shipped by Amazon, not third party reseller), I assumed it was at its regular price (720€), although the RTX 20 series were already removed from EVGA store when I registered for step up, so I could not check what was its price.

Since I'm in queue, the step up cost appears to be 149€ (133€ without shipping). But from what I understand, it's on step 2 that real step up cost is calculated. Any chance someone could clarify this for me? Would be great if someone from EVGA could speak up on this! : )

EU EVGA  https://eu.evga.com/support/stepup/

which 2080 Super ... there were many model numbers ?

https://www.evga.com/support/specs/

Learn your way around the EVGA Forums, Rules & limits on new accounts Ultimate Self-Starter Thread For New Members

I am a Volunteer Moderator - not an EVGA employee

https://foldingathome.org -->become a citizen scientist and contribute your compute power to help fight global health threats

RTX Project EVGA X99 FTWK Nibbler EVGA X99 Classified EVGA 3080Ti FTW3 Ultra

Doumi111
    Re: Very Dissatisfied with EVGA Step-Up Program - Never again will I get anymore EVGA prod 2021/12/05 12:21:53 (permalink)
    XC gaming, part number 08G-P4-3182-KR.

I already checked the product page you linked, unfortunately it doesn't show retail prices. : (

There is a thing I don't get actually, if EVGA uses their store prices to use it as trade value for step up (which does make total sense), why are we asked to enter buying prices that shows as a first step up cost calculation which will, in the end, be the true step up cost only if the card has been bought at MSRP? Why don't they just pop in the price based on card value right at the first step? It should be known anyway since the card has already been identified as an original brand new item, for warranty registration.

At this point, it seems to me that original invoice is just a way to be sure the card has been bought from an authorized reseller.
    CraptacularOne
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    Re: Very Dissatisfied with EVGA Step-Up Program - Never again will I get anymore EVGA prod 2021/12/05 12:35:53 (permalink)
    Doumi111
    XC gaming, part number 08G-P4-3182-KR.

I already checked the product page you linked, unfortunately it doesn't show retail prices. : (

There is a thing I don't get actually, if EVGA uses their store prices to use it as trade value for step up (which does make total sense), why are we asked to enter buying prices that shows as a first step up cost calculation which will, in the end, be the true step up cost only if the card has been bought at MSRP? Why don't they just pop in the price based on card value right at the first step? It should be known anyway since the card has already been identified as an original brand new item, for warranty registration.

At this point, it seems to me that original invoice is just a way to be sure the card has been bought from an authorized reseller.

They ask you for that information along with an invoice showing that you purchased said card from one of their authorized resellers probably in an attempt to ensure that their partners are adhering to their MSRP guidelines. So if "X" retailer is selling the card for way over market value and gouging, they can reprimand said retailer or bring some actions against them.

They also state you will only be getting MSRP as listed by EVGA themselves so they don't financially damage themselves. Like in the OP's scenario, he clearly got scalped by overpaying for his card then was expecting EVGA to honor his scalped price when EVGA themselves did not gain any additional revenue from that scalped purchase. EVGA sells their cards to outlets for a fixed price with a baked in "profit margin" for them to resell, they don't get any further financial gain beyond the first transaction. So why would they honor the scalped price? I know you understand all that but the OP here clearly didn't. 

What happened here was a classic case of not researching and do your sue diligence before hand. He may have purchased the card on "Amazon's" site but he didn't purchase it from an authorized reseller and bought if from one of their "Marketplace resellers" which is little more than someone selling it on a site like eBay. I'm actually surprised EVGA even honored his invoice for a step up and leads me to believe he may have fudged or altered his invoice or maybe someone at EVGA didn't didn't look for the "Sold and shipped by Amazon" on the invoice. Amazon doesn't scalp but it's marketplace sellers do all the time. 
    post edited by CraptacularOne - 2021/12/05 12:40:59

Doumi111
    Re: Very Dissatisfied with EVGA Step-Up Program - Never again will I get anymore EVGA prod 2021/12/05 12:52:00 (permalink)
    Thanks for your awnser. : )

If anyone knows a way to check on what was the EVGA store price of this RTX 2080 Super XC gaming when it was still an available product, that would be great!

I am pretty confident the price I paid back then was its "original official price", just before the world became crazy, but I would love to be sure. : P

That, and that kills some time on the waiting process... These 14 months of queue are killing me! : D
    CraptacularOne
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    Re: Very Dissatisfied with EVGA Step-Up Program - Never again will I get anymore EVGA prod 2021/12/05 12:57:09 (permalink)
    Doumi111

If anyone knows a way to check on what was the EVGA store price of this RTX 2080 Super XC gaming when it was still an available product, that would be great!

I am pretty confident the price I paid back then was its "original official price", just before the world became crazy, but I would love to be sure. : P

That, and that kills some time on the waiting process... These 14 months of queue are killing me! : D

I've been looking but all I can find was from 2 years ago and it wasn't on EVGA's site, but I found a listing at € 699. So as long as you bought it from one of their authorized resellers and have a valid invoice, you're probably in the ballpark for what it's step up value will be. 

EVGATech_DanielM
    EVGA Tech Support
    • Total Posts : 1132
    • Ribbons : 2
    Re: Very Dissatisfied with EVGA Step-Up Program - Never again will I get anymore EVGA prod 2021/12/05 16:07:31 (permalink)
    Doumi111

Sending us a email or starting a support ticket is the easiest. The sweet spot about the queue is being able to use your card while you wait while we allocate stock. I do not have the MSRP off hand but safe to say we will at least cover that amount if applicable. 
    Doumi111
    Re: Very Dissatisfied with EVGA Step-Up Program - Never again will I get anymore EVGA prod 2021/12/05 23:11:14 (permalink)
    Thank you for your awnser @EVGATech_DanielM and @CraptacularOne. : )

It would be a good idea to have a page somewhere on EVGA website where we, as customers, can check what were the prices of previous gen components even when it has been removed from store, since the point of step up is to trade old parts to get new one.

I'd say I'm still happy to use step up, and the 2080 Super is a very decent card. I am just sometime upset that European queue (for RTX 3080 at least, can't say what it is for other cards) seems to not move at all, whereas Americans are now trading cards bought on September 2021. Maybe I should stop checking this forum, it's depressing! : D
    Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile