EVGA

Geforce 3080 ti sagging causing crashes, bad contact with slot, can this damage my card?

Author
TenshiMarcelo
  • Total Posts : 14
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 0
2021/11/29 20:03:49 (permalink)
I have been having crashes for 2 weeks and I nailed the problem to the GPU sagging and making bad contact with the pcie slot.

The card was sagging so much.

The crashes were bad. Pc was hard reseting.

I had to troubleshoot for 2 weeks, thinking it was the new bf2042. All benchs were fine, even furmark.

My surprise when I was about to change PSUs to see if that was the problem and found my GPU sagging badly.

Now the question is, could this bad contact damage the card? Can I have problems in the long run due to some damage caused by this?

Keep in mind pcie slot tranfers 75w to the card.

3 Replies Related Threads

CraptacularOne
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    • Total Posts : 14533
    • Ribbons : 222
    Re: Geforce 3080 ti sagging causing crashes, bad contact with slot, can this damage my car 2021/11/29 22:24:11 (permalink)
    I doubt very much sag is actually the issue, it would have be SEVERELY sagging to the point of warping the PCB to bring about any real issues. Furthermore how did you come to the conclusion sag was causing your issues? Just merely looking at a card sagging isn't a proper way to diagnose anything really. Did you try propping the card up and rerun your games/test and see if the issue stopped? 

PC crashing and resetting during games is 99% of the time a sign your PSU can't cope with the load you're asking of it and tripping its OCP (over current protection) in an attempt to save itself. However seeing as you provided no actual hardware specs like CPU, motherboard, RAM, make and model of your power supply, I really have no idea or suggestions. 

PS: Also no, the PCIe slot is only capable of providing about 66w of useable current to your card. Of which that isn't constant either and can and will vary based on load and TDP requirements in an ever changing state (still capped to about 66w)  
    post edited by CraptacularOne - 2021/11/29 22:25:35

Intel i9 14900K ...............................Ryzen 9 7950X3D
    MSI RTX 4090 Gaming Trio................ASRock Phantom RX 7900 XTX
    Samsung Odyssey G9.......................PiMax 5K Super/Meta Quest 3
    ASUS ROG Strix Z690-F Gaming........ASUS TUF Gaming X670E Plus WiFi
    64GB G.Skill Trident Z5 6800Mhz.......64GB Kingston Fury RGB 6000Mhz
    MSI MPG A1000G 1000w..................EVGA G3 SuperNova 1000w
    TenshiMarcelo
    • Total Posts : 14
    • Ribbons : 0
    Re: Geforce 3080 ti sagging causing crashes, bad contact with slot, can this damage my car 2021/11/30 10:52:07 (permalink)
    The crashes were solved by an anti-sag holder.

My main question is if bad contact with the pcie slot could have any long term side effects, as in any damage to the card.

As of right now it seems to be operating normally.
    kraade
    CLASSIFIED Member
    • Total Posts : 2363
    • Ribbons : 7
    Re: Geforce 3080 ti sagging causing crashes, bad contact with slot, can this damage my car 2021/11/30 16:19:08 (permalink)
    TenshiMarcelo
    The crashes were solved by an anti-sag holder.

My main question is if bad contact with the pcie slot could have any long term side effects, as in any damage to the card.

As of right now it seems to be operating normally.

If you are operating normally now I would think you are fine and would not expect to have long term effects from the crashed you had , they were just crashes and crashes are a method of self protection 
    Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile