The Beaver Moon lunar eclipse

Author
Nereus
Captain Goodvibes
  • Total Posts : 18924
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 58
2021/11/18 10:04:57 (permalink)

The Beaver Moon partial lunar eclipse on Nov. 19 will be the longest of the century.

The next eclipse of the moon will greet early risers before dawn on Friday morning (Nov. 19) across North America.

It will be the second lunar eclipse of 2021 and, in some ways, will be similar to the last one on May 26. Most North Americans will again need to get up early and look low in the west toward daybreak. And again, the farther west you are the better, as the moon will appear much higher from the western part of the continent as opposed to locations farther to the east. It will also be the longest partial lunar eclipse in 580 years, lasting just over 6 hours, with its pass through the darkest part of Earth's shadow taking about 3 hours, 28 minutes and 23 seconds, and also the longest this century.

But in another way, it will be different. This lunar eclipse will fall just shy of being total; 97.4% of the moon's diameter will become immersed in the Earth's dark umbral shadow at maximum eclipse, leaving just the southernmost limb ever-so-slightly beyond the outer edge of the umbra.

link : https://www.space.com/beaver-moon-lunar-eclipse-longest-of-century-phases 

North American eclipse times:

This eclipse will occur in five phases, with different things to watch for at each.

Phase 1: "Moon enters penumbra" is when the moon's leading edge enters the pale outer fringe of Earth's shadow: the penumbra. But the shadow is so weak that most people won't see anything of the penumbra until about 70% of the moon's diameter is inside of it. Watch for a slight darkening to become apparent on the moon's celestial southeast (lower left) side. The penumbral shading gradually becomes more evident as the moon moves deeper in.

Phase 2: "Moon enters umbra" marks the beginning of the partial eclipse. This will be a much more obvious and dramatic sight as the moon's leading-edge slips into the umbra, where no direct sunlight reaches. With a telescope, watch as the umbra's edge engulfs various lunar features such as craters, mountains and valleys.
And as the moon wanes to a crescent, be sure to take a look around the sky. Before the eclipse began, the sky was bright; the moon acting like a spotlight obliterating all but the brightest stars. But as the moon becomes more and more diminished, you'll begin seeing more and more of the fainter stars. At maximum eclipse, the moon could appear nearly 10,000 times dimmer than before the eclipse began. One object that will certainly stand out during the darkest phase of the eclipse will be the famous Pleiades star cluster which will be positioned about a half dozen degrees above and slightly to the right of the moon. 

Phase 3: "Maximum eclipse" will be when just a final bright arc remains on the moon's lower rim, while the rest of the moon is showing a foreboding reddish glow. This ruddy coloration shining onto the moon is sunlight that has skimmed and bent through the Earth's atmosphere; the combined light of all the sunrises and sunsets that ring our world at this particular moment. If an astronaut were on the lunar surface. He or she would see the sun hidden behind a dark Earth ringed with a thin, brilliant band of reddish or orange-yellow light. If our hypothetical astronaut were located on the moon's southernmost regions, however, a narrow edge of the sun would be evident along the dark edge of the Earth. At this time, 97.4% of the moon will be immersed in the Earth's dark shadow.

Phase 4: "Moon leaves umbra." After the partial eclipse attains its maximum and as the moon continues eastward along its orbit, events replay in reverse sequence. 

Phase 5: "Moon leaves penumbra." When the last scallop of the Earth's umbra exits the moon's disk, only the last, penumbral shading is left. By about 25 minutes later, nothing unusual remains at all and our November full moon appears as bright as ever.

BUILD 1 2   |   MINI-ITX BUILD   |   MODSRIGS $1K WIN   |   HEATWARE 111-0-0   |   ASSOCIATE CODE CSKKXUT5Q9GVAFR

11 Replies Related Threads

rjohnson11
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 102291
    • Ribbons : 84
    Re: The Beaver Moon lunar eclipse 2021/11/18 10:20:34 (permalink)
    Thanks for the info

AMD Ryzen 9 7950X,  Corsair Mp700 Pro M.2, 64GB Corsair Dominator Titanium DDR5  X670E Steel Legend, MSI RTX 4090 Associate Code: H5U80QBH6BH0AXF. I am NOT an employee of EVGA

notfordman
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    • Total Posts : 10345
    • Ribbons : 28
    Re: The Beaver Moon lunar eclipse 2021/11/18 12:40:54 (permalink)
    Thanks for posting Nereus, I enjoy events like these. 
    Delirious
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 17474
    • Ribbons : 61
    Re: The Beaver Moon lunar eclipse 2021/11/18 12:53:49 (permalink)

3 am.  last time I did this it was so cold.    I did capture this on camera

"Be quick to listen, slow to speak and slow to anger" 
    Affiliate Code XZUMV9TJW5
    Associate Code: 7PM43CU71IB2IAP
    education may be expensive but wait until you get the bill for ignorance
    A wise man once said that we can't make anyone feel or do anything. We can throw things into the wind, but it's up to each person to decide how they want to react, where they want to stand when things fall.
    Nereus
    Captain Goodvibes
    Re: The Beaver Moon lunar eclipse 2021/11/18 13:13:02 (permalink)

That's a beautiful shot Delirious! Was that was using a telescope camera attachment?

post edited by Nereus - 2021/11/18 13:14:07

BUILD 1 2   |   MINI-ITX BUILD   |   MODSRIGS $1K WIN   |   HEATWARE 111-0-0   |   ASSOCIATE CODE CSKKXUT5Q9GVAFR

Delirious
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    Re: The Beaver Moon lunar eclipse 2021/11/18 16:29:36 (permalink)
    Nereus

That's a beautiful shot Delirious! Was that was using a telescope camera attachment?

was a canon m5 with a 100-400 L zoom and 1.5 x extender.     

A wise man once said that we can't make anyone feel or do anything. We can throw things into the wind, but it's up to each person to decide how they want to react, where they want to stand when things fall.
    Nereus
    Captain Goodvibes
    Re: The Beaver Moon lunar eclipse 2021/11/18 16:37:31 (permalink)

Nice. I used to have a 75-300 zoom and a doubler on an old SLR camera for surfing photography, that was many years ago though, back before digital cameras. 

Brad_Hawthorne
    Insert Custom Title Here
    • Total Posts : 23174
    • Ribbons : 39
    Re: The Beaver Moon lunar eclipse 2021/11/18 20:54:10 (permalink)
    Hrrrm, pondering getting out the scope and doing a time lapse. midnight to 6am is a loooooooong time lapse.

anarchy998
    CLASSIFIED Member
    • Total Posts : 3051
    • Ribbons : 13
    Re: The Beaver Moon lunar eclipse 2021/11/18 20:59:44 (permalink)
    I need to pull out the telescope 

i9 12900k
    Asus ROG Maximus Z690 Hero
    EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 Ultra
    Corsair Dominator Platinum 64gb
    WD Black SN850 1tb NVME
    Corsair 7000D Airflow
    EVGA 1200 P3 psu
    EVGA Nu Audio Pro
    Corsair H150i 360 Elite Capellix

Cool GTX
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 30996
    • Ribbons : 122
    Re: The Beaver Moon lunar eclipse 2021/11/19 08:56:09 (permalink)
    Delirious

3 am.  last time I did this it was so cold.    I did capture this on camera

Nice

Learn your way around the EVGA Forums, Rules & limits on new accounts Ultimate Self-Starter Thread For New Members

I am a Volunteer Moderator - not an EVGA employee

https://foldingathome.org -->become a citizen scientist and contribute your compute power to help fight global health threats

RTX Project EVGA X99 FTWK Nibbler EVGA X99 Classified EVGA 3080Ti FTW3 Ultra

Delirious
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    Re: The Beaver Moon lunar eclipse 2021/11/20 10:11:02 (permalink)
    Brad_Hawthorne
    Hrrrm, pondering getting out the scope and doing a time lapse. midnight to 6am is a loooooooong time lapse.

now that's the real deal right there

XrayMan
    Insert Custom Title Here
    • Total Posts : 73000
    • Ribbons : 115
    Re: The Beaver Moon lunar eclipse 2021/11/28 19:23:30 (permalink)

and I thought beavers only made dams.     ;)

My Affiliate Code: 8WEQVXMCJL

Associate Code: VHKH33QN4W77V6A

&nbsp
    Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile