EVGA

Crypto Crackdowns Further INTENSIFY In China, Causing Major Coins' Values To Dip

Author
Flint 1760
Omnipotent Enthusiast
  • Total Posts : 8295
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 45
2021/11/16 13:14:01 (permalink)
TechTimes - Crypto Crackdowns Further INTENSIFY In China, Causing Major Coins' Values To Dip

“The nationwide crackdown on cryptocurrencies there is just further intensifying, and as a result, caused the value of major coins to drop, reports CNN Business.

According to the Chinese government, the crackdown's goal is to stop something ‘extremely harmful’ to the country's desire to reduce its carbon emissions.

Bitcoin is among the hardest-hit due to the crypto crackdown, as it has been the main target of the National Development and Reform Commission (NDRC).

NDRC spokesperson Meng Wei called out bitcoin mining in a recently held press conference in Beijing, mainly due to its sky-high energy requirements that inevitably leads to increased carbon emissions.

Furthermore, Meng blasted crypto production as a whole, considering it ‘blind and disorderly’ and saying it poses massive risks.

As a result, the price of bitcoin dipped 7% to just over $60,000, which is its lowest valuation in over a week. Ether (Ethereum) slid just a bit more at 8% to a low of roughly $4,300.

China is considered one of the foremost cryptocurrency mining hubs in the world. It was formerly the largest crypto market, only being overtaken by the United States in early October, according to The Washington Post.

In an attempt to further intensify their crypto crackdown, the Chinese government is targeting the lifeblood of the industry: power. It is well known that crypto mining consumes so much electricity due to its massive hardware requirements.

As such, the NDRC is now considering implementing sky-high electricity for crypto mines, reports CoinDesk.

This will severely hurt miners' bottom lines since they're always trying to balance their profits with their operating expenses. The more expensive electricity is, the more meager the profits get.

In yet another step to improve their cryptocurrency crackdown, the Chinese Communist Party has also expelled an official for supporting mining companies.

According to the South China Morning Post, the said official, Xiao Yi, has been reportedly found supporting illegal crypto mining companies under the table. Xiao also allegedly accepted bribes multiple times, in violation of the country's official industrial policies.

With all the massive restrictions, Chinese crypto miners have no choice but to abandon ship if they want to keep their operations going.

To be specific, they're mostly moving west, with some of them settling in the United States--Texas. According to the BBC, some miners claim that they're never going back.

The miners are choosing locations on the West Coast, such as Texas, due to more relaxed regulations and cheaper electricity. With that, the Lone Star State is already a far better locale than anywhere in China.

This could turn Texas and basically the entire US into the world's biggest cryptocurrency market. But it's not just America they're looking to flee to. Some of them are setting up shop in Russia or Kazakhstan as well.”

My thoughts:  The way things are going in the US with energy cost, they may be relocating again.  By the way, when did Texas move to the "West Coast."

6 Replies Related Threads

Cool GTX
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 31000
    • Ribbons : 122
    Re: Crypto Crackdowns Further INTENSIFY In China, Causing Major Coins' Values To Dip 2021/11/16 14:06:10 (permalink)
    sounds like the free lunch is over in China, not sure if any of those miners were paying for the electric or if the electric is subsidized by the Gov.

Learn your way around the EVGA Forums, Rules & limits on new accounts Ultimate Self-Starter Thread For New Members

I am a Volunteer Moderator - not an EVGA employee

https://foldingathome.org -->become a citizen scientist and contribute your compute power to help fight global health threats

RTX Project EVGA X99 FTWK Nibbler EVGA X99 Classified EVGA 3080Ti FTW3 Ultra

kram36
    The Destroyer
    • Total Posts : 21477
    • Ribbons : 72
    Re: Crypto Crackdowns Further INTENSIFY In China, Causing Major Coins' Values To Dip 2021/11/16 18:46:49 (permalink)
    Cool GTX
    sounds like the free lunch is over in China, not sure if any of those miners were paying for the electric or if the electric is subsidized by the Gov.

Free lunch, how so? Was China handing miners the parts needed to mine with for free? Free electricity for miners?  Did China pay for the person/people needed to keep their mining machines running 24/7? Help me out here.
    Cool GTX
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 31000
    • Ribbons : 122
    Re: Crypto Crackdowns Further INTENSIFY In China, Causing Major Coins' Values To Dip 2021/11/17 11:27:58 (permalink)
    kram36
    Cool GTX

Free lunch, how so? Was China handing miners the parts needed to mine with for free? Free electricity for miners?  Did China pay for the person/people needed to keep their mining machines running 24/7? Help me out here.

electric was the questionable item in my statement - guess that was not clear ? ... & previous stories reported crackdown on electric theft in China

China "probably subsidizes electric" for everyone - based on the type of Gov & Economy they have

As you seem to be very interested in "Coin" ....

Why would the price drop, based solely on miners moving from any one country ?

The number of active miners dropping, why does this not hold the price steady or increase the price ?

Learn your way around the EVGA Forums, Rules & limits on new accounts Ultimate Self-Starter Thread For New Members

I am a Volunteer Moderator - not an EVGA employee

https://foldingathome.org -->become a citizen scientist and contribute your compute power to help fight global health threats

RTX Project EVGA X99 FTWK Nibbler EVGA X99 Classified EVGA 3080Ti FTW3 Ultra

Hoggle
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 10102
    • Ribbons : 4
    Re: Crypto Crackdowns Further INTENSIFY In China, Causing Major Coins' Values To Dip 2021/11/17 12:18:58 (permalink)
    China has a lot of coal based power plants and they also have in February the 2022 Winter Games in Beijing. It will be interesting to see if the crackdown is for clean air for the games or if it's a real crackdown they will continue. One thing I am sure of is the city will look it's best when media coverage from around the world arrives and that means shutting down unnecessary pollution. Possibly near the games they will shutter a lot of factories if they need the air cleaner and that could make the chip shortage worse during those three weeks.

Use an Associates Code & SAVE 5% - 10% on your purchase. Just click on the associates banner to save, or enter the associates code at checkout on your next purchase. If you choose to use my code I want to personally say "Thank You" for using it. 

kram36
    The Destroyer
    • Total Posts : 21477
    • Ribbons : 72
    Re: Crypto Crackdowns Further INTENSIFY In China, Causing Major Coins' Values To Dip 2021/11/18 21:35:10 (permalink)
    Cool GTX
    kram36
    Cool GTX

electric was the questionable item in my statement - guess that was not clear ? ... & previous stories reported crackdown on electric theft in China

China "probably subsidizes electric" for everyone - based on the type of Gov & Economy they have

As you seem to be very interested in "Coin" ....

Why would the price drop, based solely on miners moving from any one country ?

The number of active miners dropping, why does this not hold the price steady or increase the price ?

You didn't answer my question. Are your folding rigs a free lunch? Not even when EVGA gave out the 10 EVGA Bucks for folding on the EVGA team did it even make 1% difference in the amount of money you spent/spend on equipment nor your time it takes to keep those systems running.

Help me out here. Where is the free lunch?
    rjohnson11
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 102299
    • Ribbons : 84
    Re: Crypto Crackdowns Further INTENSIFY In China, Causing Major Coins' Values To Dip 2021/11/18 23:50:10 (permalink)
    China is monitoring electricity usage and chasing after companies and individuals using more electricity then they should.   

AMD Ryzen 9 7950X,  Corsair Mp700 Pro M.2, 64GB Corsair Dominator Titanium DDR5  X670E Steel Legend, MSI RTX 4090 Associate Code: H5U80QBH6BH0AXF. I am NOT an employee of EVGA

Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile