EVGA

Helpful ReplyRMA - I'm being made to pay to ship a faulty GPU back to EVGA

Author
HawkBat
  • Total Posts : 27
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 0
2021/11/12 05:00:12 (permalink)
I'm based in Australia, and have a faulty GPU I need to send in for RMA.

I have to send it to Taiwan, and the shipping (including insurance) will cost around $300AUD (approx. $220USD).

Per the website, it looks like the EVGAs warranty support is much worse in Australia than it is in the US, and the customer has to foot the bill for sending faulty products back.

Has anyone had any luck getting a pre-paid label (in Australia) in this situation?
Flint 1760
Omnipotent Enthusiast
  • Total Posts : 8295
  • Ribbons : 45
Re: RMA - I'm being made to pay to ship a faulty GPU back to EVGA 2021/11/12 05:20:35 (permalink)
Have you contacted EVGA Technical support at +886-2-8226-2868 option 1 or sent anemail to supportTW@evga.com to ask?

Nothing is lost by asking.  You can also ask about a partial refund of shipping.  The worse that will happen is they say no.

gsrcrxsi
SSC Member
  • Total Posts : 985
  • Ribbons : 5
Re: RMA - I'm being made to pay to ship a faulty GPU back to EVGA 2021/11/12 05:25:17 (permalink)
EVGA doesn't always provide a shipping label. I've done several RMA's where I had to pay for the shipping, but being in the US, and their location in the US, it only cost about $20 to send it to them.

Rig1: EPYC 7V12 | [4] RTX A4000
Rig2: EPYC 7B12 | [5] 3080Ti + [2] 2080Ti
Rig3: EPYC 7B12 | [6] 3070Ti + [2] 3060
Rig4: [2] EPYC 7742 | RTX A2000
Rig5: [2] EPYC 7642
Rig6: EPYC 7551 | [4] Titan V

the_Scarlet_one
formerly Scarlet-tech
  • Total Posts : 24581
  • Ribbons : 79
Re: RMA - I'm being made to pay to ship a faulty GPU back to EVGA 2021/11/12 05:26:43 (permalink)
Customers in the US also pay to ship their card back. How old was your product? If it is new, EVGA may be able to help, or you may be able to exchange through the retailer you purchased from.
HawkBat
Re: RMA - I'm being made to pay to ship a faulty GPU back to EVGA 2021/11/12 10:33:46 (permalink)
Thanks all. I have sent emails to supportTW@evga.com to plead my case, but they weren't willing to help.

That is a surprise to me that customers also have to pay for shipping back RMAs. Really poor form on EVGA's part to require that of customers who are already dealing with faulty EVGA products.

I opted for the Advanced RMA option (the one where you have to pay the full price of the product, EVGA sends you are replacement, then I send the broken product in and get a refund). So that's why I have to send it in to EVGA myself, rather than through the retailer.
CraptacularOne
Omnipotent Enthusiast
  • Total Posts : 14533
  • Ribbons : 222
Re: RMA - I'm being made to pay to ship a faulty GPU back to EVGA 2021/11/12 11:00:13 (permalink)
How is it poor? It's standard practice to pay to ship an RMA back to anyone really. I've had to RMA several things over the years to various companies ASUS, EVGA, MSI.....etc. Getting the faulty product to them was always on me, just as sending the replacement product back to me was always on them. 

Intel i9 14900K ...............................Ryzen 9 7950X3D
MSI RTX 4090 Gaming Trio................ASRock Phantom RX 7900 XTX
Samsung Odyssey G9.......................PiMax 5K Super/Meta Quest 3
ASUS ROG Strix Z690-F Gaming........ASUS TUF Gaming X670E Plus WiFi
64GB G.Skill Trident Z5 6800Mhz.......64GB Kingston Fury RGB 6000Mhz
MSI MPG A1000G 1000w..................EVGA G3 SuperNova 1000w
HawkBat
Re: RMA - I'm being made to pay to ship a faulty GPU back to EVGA 2021/11/12 14:43:26 (permalink)
CraptacularOne
How is it poor? It's standard practice to pay to ship an RMA back to anyone really. I've had to RMA several things over the years to various companies ASUS, EVGA, MSI.....etc. Getting the faulty product to them was always on me, just as sending the replacement product back to me was always on them. 

My experience has actually been the opposite. With the other RMAs I've had to deal with shipping was always covered by the manufacturer. The most recent one I had to deal with was with Corsair and they provided a pre-paid label (with the destination also being Taiwan coincidentally).

In any case I think it's poor form on EVGAs part because the only reason shipping is required in this scenario is that I've been sold a faulty product. I understand paying for shipping when first purchasing an item, but if a customer has been sold a dud and needs to be made whole, it shouldn't be up to them to cover the cost of shipping back the faulty item just so they can get a working version of what they purchased in the first place.
CraptacularOne
Omnipotent Enthusiast
Re: RMA - I'm being made to pay to ship a faulty GPU back to EVGA 2021/11/12 22:04:31 (permalink)
HawkBat
CraptacularOne

My experience has actually been the opposite. With the other RMAs I've had to deal with shipping was always covered by the manufacturer. The most recent one I had to deal with was with Corsair and they provided a pre-paid label (with the destination also being Taiwan coincidentally).

In any case I think it's poor form on EVGAs part because the only reason shipping is required in this scenario is that I've been sold a faulty product. I understand paying for shipping when first purchasing an item, but if a customer has been sold a dud and needs to be made whole, it shouldn't be up to them to cover the cost of shipping back the faulty item just so they can get a working version of what they purchased in the first place.

Did you just buy a card and it was DOA? That's another story, if the product you just purchased was never operational from the start I can see a case being made on that. However if you've had the product for a while and then it gave out in the warranty period, not so much. It's unfortunate that sometimes things break but that's what a warranty is for. 

rjohnson11
EVGA Forum Moderator
  • Total Posts : 102253
  • Ribbons : 84
Re: RMA - I'm being made to pay to ship a faulty GPU back to EVGA 2021/11/13 00:13:27 (permalink)
HawkBat
I'm based in Australia, and have a faulty GPU I need to send in for RMA.

I have to send it to Taiwan, and the shipping (including insurance) will cost around $300AUD (approx. $220USD).

Per the website, it looks like the EVGAs warranty support is much worse in Australia than it is in the US, and the customer has to foot the bill for sending faulty products back.

Has anyone had any luck getting a pre-paid label (in Australia) in this situation?

Are you sure you checked every shipper available to see if there were cheaper shipment rates?

AMD Ryzen 9 7950X,  Corsair Mp700 Pro M.2, 64GB Corsair Dominator Titanium DDR5  X670E Steel Legend, MSI RTX 4090 Associate Code: H5U80QBH6BH0AXF. I am NOT an employee of EVGA

Hoggle
EVGA Forum Moderator
  • Total Posts : 10101
  • Ribbons : 4
Re: RMA - I'm being made to pay to ship a faulty GPU back to EVGA 2021/11/13 02:54:45 (permalink)
One thing I really recommend is insurance on the card to cover a replacement if it goes missing. One thing to make clear on the outside of the package is that it's an RMA also let the shipper know it's an RMA.  Customs should not be charging an import fee for a RMA but they will charge one if it's a graphics card imported into the country for resale. Or at least what I have had friends in Canada tell me when they have had to ship products across the border.

Use an Associates Code & SAVE 5% - 10% on your purchase. Just click on the associates banner to save, or enter the associates code at checkout on your next purchase. If you choose to use my code I want to personally say "Thank You" for using it. 

HawkBat
Re: RMA - I'm being made to pay to ship a faulty GPU back to EVGA 2021/11/13 12:50:19 (permalink)
CraptacularOne

Did you just buy a card and it was DOA? That's another story, if the product you just purchased was never operational from the start I can see a case being made on that. However if you've had the product for a while and then it gave out in the warranty period, not so much. It's unfortunate that sometimes things break but that's what a warranty is for. 

No, it wasn't DOA, but I've only had the card for less than a year. I still say its poor form on EVGA's part that now I'm having to pay an additional $220USD in shipping after just 10 months because I got sold a dud.

rjohnson11

Are you sure you checked every shipper available to see if there were cheaper shipment rates?

Yeah, the quotes I got have all been in the same general price range (including Australia Post which is generally on the cheaper side).
CraptacularOne
Omnipotent Enthusiast
Re: RMA - I'm being made to pay to ship a faulty GPU back to EVGA 2021/11/14 13:22:50 (permalink)
HawkBat
CraptacularOne

No, it wasn't DOA, but I've only had the card for less than a year. I still say its poor form on EVGA's part that now I'm having to pay an additional $220USD in shipping after just 10 months because I got sold a dud.

Then I think you just have an unrealistic expectation for an RMA as it is indeed standard practice for the end user to pay for shipping to the OEM to have an item replaced. While unfortunate it is going to cost you that much, it's also not EVGA's fault you live in such a geographical region that shipping is that expensive. 

HawkBat
Re: RMA - I'm being made to pay to ship a faulty GPU back to EVGA 2021/11/14 14:10:43 (permalink)
CraptacularOne
HawkBat
CraptacularOne

Then I think you just have an unrealistic expectation for an RMA as it is indeed standard practice for the end user to pay for shipping to the OEM to have an item replaced. While unfortunate it is going to cost you that much, it's also not EVGA's fault you live in such a geographical region that shipping is that expensive. 

Like I mentioned earlier, it's not standard practice for RMA shipping to be covered by the customer in my experience (at least it isn't in Australia). I guess this post should be a warning to other potential Australia-based customers that EVGA's vaunted after sales support has a very big asterisk for people in our region, and they're far better off purchasing from another brand.
ty_ger07
Insert Custom Title Here
  • Total Posts : 21171
  • Ribbons : 270
Re: RMA - I'm being made to pay to ship a faulty GPU back to EVGA 2021/11/14 16:13:40 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby HawkBat 2021/11/15 20:47:39
HawkBat
EVGA's vaunted after sales support has a very big asterisk for people in our region, and they're far better off purchasing from another brand.

EVGA's after-sales support isn't good in Europe either.  I think it is only good in the USA.

ASRock Z77 • Intel Core i7 3770K • EVGA GTX 1080 • Samsung 850 Pro • Seasonic PRIME 600W Titanium
My EVGA Score: 1546 • Zero Associates Points • I don't shill

redteamgo
SSC Member
  • Total Posts : 798
  • Ribbons : 3
Re: RMA - I'm being made to pay to ship a faulty GPU back to EVGA 2021/11/15 18:36:54 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby HawkBat 2021/11/15 20:47:30
CraptacularOne
How is it poor? It's standard practice to pay to ship an RMA back to anyone really. 

Not true - I can't remember the last time I bought a return label.  Newegg, amazon, adorama, target, costco.... all provide paid return labels in the event of RMA or return.

CPU:     Intel 12900K EK 1700 Quantum Mag Acetel
GPU:     EVGA 3090 KPHC
MB:      EVGA Z690 Dark
PSU:     EVGA SuperNOVA 1600 P+
Memory:  G.SKILL Z5 6600mhz XMP3
NVME:    Samsung 980 Pro Gen 4 1TB, Gen 3 970 1TB
Cooling: MO-RA3 420 P/P 8x200mm Noctua HS PWM, Dual D5
Case:    Fractal Design Define 7

MOD Rigs!!!
rjbarker
CLASSIFIED Member
  • Total Posts : 3214
  • Ribbons : 21
Re: RMA - I'm being made to pay to ship a faulty GPU back to EVGA 2021/11/19 10:04:19 (permalink)
CraptacularOne
HawkBat
CraptacularOne

Here is my experience with RMA International, honestly I have empathy for this guy as hes in Australia (I'm in Canada), the International Shipping rates are absurd, so anyone that goes thru the process based in U.S. really has no idea the costs associated w International Shipping!!
- Returned 2 month old Corsair PSU Canada to Virginia U.S.: Received "PRE-PAID" RMA Shipping Label from Corsair Support.
- Returned 4 month old Corsair RAM Canada to Virginia U.S.: Received "PRE-PAID" RMA Shipping Label from Corsair Support.
- Returned 2 month old Asus Motherboard: Received "PRE-PAID" RMA Shipping Label from Asus Support (this was Domestic).

To ship Vancouver B.C. to Brea, California (not that far really, as in straight down the westcoast 24 hr drive or 2 hr flight).
- via FEDEX / UPS / Purolator around $250 CDN depending upon method / Insured Value
- Canada Post (handed over to USPS at the border) cheapest was $100 CDN w $1K Insurance 10 day delivery time.

If shipping FEDEX / UPS / Purolator be prepared to "get lost" in a maze of "Regulatory Documentation" necessary for the Int shipment to Brea, Cal.
So think about the folks that you have seen with multiple RMA's on the same product, back n forth at $100 - $250 per pop.....for a faulty product.
Its easy to criticize / critique the OP when the most you have paid for RMA shipping is $20 USD, think about it from there seat.
Originally pay upwards of $1800 - $1900 CDN or AUS, product craps the bed after 1-3 months (no fault of the consumer), now the RMA process begins, so +$100 - $250 per RMA, throw in another RMA (as I have seen many with repeated RMA's),,,,well you get the picture, the initial cost of the Card begins to go up exponentially with each RMA.

There ARE companies out there that support there products / customers by offering "pre-paid" RMA honoring Warranties.
Call me naive, but I just went thru all this in the last 48 hrs with yet another "$1800 Fixed Red LED Brick" and was somewhat surprised that the RMA Shipping Label although indicating RMA was not pre-paid.

Unfortunately Evga isnt one of them.
Sure wish Evga had a head office here in Canada (like Asus), as it would save a lot of grief (perhaps no Pre-Paid RMA), but would certainly be easier if we could ship back domestic like Asus.

However if we really want Evga we're stuck with it....although after all this my next GPU maybe Asus only cause any requirement to RMA would be far less painful $$$, as in CDN Warehouse / Office, the ROG Forum is ok but not as good as this one though ;)
post edited by rjbarker - 2021/11/19 16:14:29

I9 12900K EK Velocity2 / ROG Z690 Apex/ 32G Dominator DDR5 6000/ Evga RTX 3080Ti FTW3  EK Vector / 980 Pro 512G / 980 Pro 1TB/ Samsung 860 Pro 500G/ WD 4TB Red / AX 1600i /  Corsair 900D & XSPC 480 * 360 * 240 Rads   XSPC Photon 170 Rez-Vario Pump Combo - Alienware 3440*1440p 120Hz/ W11

magoo25
Superclocked Member
  • Total Posts : 246
  • Ribbons : 3
Re: RMA - I'm being made to pay to ship a faulty GPU back to EVGA 2021/11/25 15:49:27 (permalink)
Brand new, never used. Shipping should be on them.
Used and then broke.....anything over 30 days, that's on the customer.

Ryzen 3700X, Asus Crosshair VIII, 32 GB Corsair Vengence, EVGA 3080 FTW3 Ultra. Corsair 7000D.
HawkBat
Re: RMA - I'm being made to pay to ship a faulty GPU back to EVGA 2021/11/26 16:30:37 (permalink)
magoo25
Brand new, never used. Shipping should be on them.
Used and then broke.....anything over 30 days, that's on the customer.

The arbitrary line between less than 30 days vs over 30 days makes no sense. As long as the defective product is still under warranty the customer shouldn't have to fork out additional money to make up for EVGA's shortcomings.

Thankfully more and more manufacturers agree and are doing better than EVGA in this regard.
Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile