Shame on EVGA.

Author
S_J_D
  • Total Posts : 6
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 0
2021/11/10 14:02:41 (permalink)
So, following on from this thread:

I finally got the opportunity to order a 3070 Ti FTW Ultra, but when it arrived it was DOA.

After speaking on here and with EVGA on email and on the phone I was ASSURED that when I RMA'd this DOA card back to Germany that I would receive a NEW GPU in it's place, as this is what I purchased. A NEW 3070 TI. I even included 2 letters in the RMA box to that effect so that whichever way around the box was opened they could see what they were supposed to do.

What I have received back is clearly a 'recertified' card, despite EVGA assurances that I would receive a new card. After over a week of waiting for the RMA team in Germany to confirm (or not) this fact they've now gone quiet and EVGA have stopped responding to emails.

So what now? Frankly, it's disgusting. I ordered a new card at the end of September and I should have that new card in my hand right now. Not a clearly second hand card in plain EVGA packaging, with clearly no new protective cellophone on the heatsink etc, a scratched serial identification sticker and plain (not 'new') EVGA packaging, which hurts my resale in a year or two time (I always keep my boxes to help shift components on when I upgrade).

I've been with EVGA a LONG time, but if this isn't sorted out properly it'll be the last time. Please send me the NEW card that I have paid for!

16 Replies Related Threads

Flint 1760
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    • Total Posts : 8295
    • Ribbons : 45
    Re: Shame on EVGA. 2021/11/10 14:57:43 (permalink)
    Have you been in contact with EVGA Europe to find out what happened?

EVGA Europe

• German Office
    • Munich, Germany

• Call Service
    • Germany: +49 (0) 8918-904911
    • United Kingdom: +44 (0) 1788-247-506
    Service Hours
  • Monday - Friday: 09:00 - 18:00 CET

EVGATech_JaesonW
    EVGA Tech Support
    • Total Posts : 910
    • Ribbons : 5
    Re: Shame on EVGA. 2021/11/10 15:41:02 (permalink)
    Hi S_J_D, I'm sorry our EU team hasn't gotten back to you yet. It does look like a recertified card was sent incorrectly when we did offer a new in box card. I'll reach out to them so they can get this corrected for you. Sorry for the trouble!

EVGA Customer Service Manager
    Have a moment? Please rate our service 
    Hoggle
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 10103
    • Ribbons : 4
    Re: Shame on EVGA. 2021/11/10 17:06:38 (permalink)
    Normally EVGA is good about taking care of the customer and giving a new GPU when it's DOA out of the box. While it's unfortunate that they did sent you a recertified card I am sure that they will take care of you.

If it was me I would be reaching out to EVGA about a replacement but I would also be running benchmarks and seeing how stable of an overclock the recertified can reach. If it was in the high side of overclocking I personally would keep it but if it was average or below I would be replacing it. Of course that is just me and would take testing and I know there is something great about knowing it's brand new that is important.

Use an Associates Code & SAVE 5% - 10% on your purchase. Just click on the associates banner to save, or enter the associates code at checkout on your next purchase. If you choose to use my code I want to personally say "Thank You" for using it. 

ty_ger07
    Insert Custom Title Here
    • Total Posts : 21174
    • Ribbons : 270
    Re: Shame on EVGA. 2021/11/11 07:28:31 (permalink)
    You are not owed a new card. You are not guaranteed a new card.

Why don't you use it and decide if there is a reason to hate it?

ASRock Z77 • Intel Core i7 3770K • EVGA GTX 1080 • Samsung 850 Pro • Seasonic PRIME 600W Titanium
    My EVGA Score: 1546 • Zero Associates Points • I don't shill

nomoss
    FTW Member
    • Total Posts : 1559
    • Ribbons : 7
    Re: Shame on EVGA. 2021/11/11 07:38:10 (permalink)
    ty_ger07

Actually, he is guaranteed a new card if it arrives DOA.  Looks like EVGA is taking care of him.

https://www.evga.com/warranty/graphics-cards/

• If an RMA is necessary within 30 days of the original purchase date of a new in box Product, a new in box OEM replacement will be sent to the Original Purchaser in return, subject to availability.

Associates code:  9OYA1P1FRHQ3SGN
    Imgur    modsrigs:  Chemical X   RedWing   Utonium   TY for the +1s! 

ty_ger07
    Insert Custom Title Here
    Re: Shame on EVGA. 2021/11/11 07:42:52 (permalink)
    nomoss
    ty_ger07

Actually, he is guaranteed a new card if it arrives DOA.

Actually, no they are not.
    If an RMA is necessary within 30 days of the original purchase date of a new in box Product, a new in box OEM replacement will be sent to the Original Purchaser in return, subject to availability.

"subject to availability"
    post edited by ty_ger07 - 2021/11/11 07:48:56

ASRock Z77 • Intel Core i7 3770K • EVGA GTX 1080 • Samsung 850 Pro • Seasonic PRIME 600W Titanium

nomoss
    FTW Member
    Re: Shame on EVGA. 2021/11/11 07:56:07 (permalink)
    ty_ger07
    "subject to availability"

Then the original purchaser can instead request a full refund.  I wouldn't want a used replacement for a product I purchased new and arrived DOA.  I don't know anybody who would find that a reasonable replacement.
    EVGA already said they were giving him a new OEM replacement.

ty_ger07
    Insert Custom Title Here
    Re: Shame on EVGA. 2021/11/11 08:40:51 (permalink)
    Or, they could just be happy they have a GPU, use it, and find out if there is something wrong with it.
    I don't really care what EVGA supposedly said they would do. They are claimed to have offered something they weren't required to offer. If someone says they will do something special for you and then don't for one reason or another, do you get mad at them?
    I don't think EVGA is required to give a full refund. What EVGA is required to do is what EVGA has done.

nomoss
    FTW Member
    Re: Shame on EVGA. 2021/11/11 09:01:48 (permalink)
    ty_ger07
    Or, they could just be happy they have a GPU, use it, and find out if there is something wrong with it.
    I don't really care what EVGA supposedly said they would do. They are claimed to have offered something they weren't required to offer. If someone says they will do something special for you and then don't for one reason or another, do you get mad at them?
    I don't think EVGA is required to give a full refund. What EVGA is required to do is what EVGA has done.

What they've done is acknowledge, here, on this very thread, that they sent him the wrong card and should have sent a new one.  
    It's literally right above your posts - EVGA saying, "oops, our bad, we'll fix it."
    I don't know what personal investment you have in telling people that they don't deserve what they paid for, but I think you're alone in your view.

the_Scarlet_one
    formerly Scarlet-tech
    • Total Posts : 24581
    • Ribbons : 79
    Re: Shame on EVGA. 2021/11/11 18:00:33 (permalink)
    ty_ger07

Yeah, I’m going to say that reading JaesonW’s post is extremely important. It’s pretty clearly EVGA promised Brand New Replacement but sent out refurbed replacement. If EVGA had no made any promise to the customer, then sure, refurb would be fine, but it was clearly stated by EVGA that they were supposed to send a brand new product out, so that was what they will be doing to correct an error.

You can throw “subject to availablility” around, but when EVGA says “we have them available and will send it out, and then doesn’t, the customer can expect to get what they were promised.
    ty_ger07
    Insert Custom Title Here
    Re: Shame on EVGA. 2021/11/11 18:39:02 (permalink)
    I didn't see post #3. Let's pretend post #3 didn't exist. My opinion is unchanged.

the_Scarlet_one
    You can throw “subject to availablility” around, but when EVGA says “we have them available and will send it out", and then doesn’t, the customer can expect to get what they were promised.

Many people have had the "subject to availability" clause thrown at them. It's not a guarantee that you will get a brand new replacement.

If it happened to you, what would you do? Try the card out and see if something is wrong with it, or wait many more weeks and pay more shipping and customs fees to get a replacement?

I would try it out and be happy if it works. A refurbished one and a new one has the same value to me if it works. What does the customer care? They have the same warranty and the card behaves the same. The only time it would matter is if you were trying to sell it as a BNIB item.

I don't understand the fuss.

I guess shame on EVGA for making a special promise. See if they try to bend over backwards for someone's unreasonable demands again.
    post edited by ty_ger07 - 2021/11/11 18:46:09

nomoss
    FTW Member
    Re: Shame on EVGA. 2021/11/12 10:44:29 (permalink)
    It wasn’t a “special” promise. It was the promise made in the warranty. “Subject to availability” doesn’t mean what you appear to think it means. But clearly you have very loose definition of new. OP does not.

ty_ger07
    Insert Custom Title Here
    Re: Shame on EVGA. 2021/11/12 10:55:29 (permalink)
    nomoss
    It wasn’t a “special” promise. It was the promise made in the warranty. “Subject to availability” doesn’t mean what you appear to think it means. But clearly you have very loose definition of new. OP does not.

Interesting. You know EVGA's stock status? You are assuming that EVGA had a new card at the moment they processed the RMA. Remember, it can takes weeks in Europe for shipments to complete. Supply is very fluid.

My interpretation of the OP is that he begged and pleaded with EVGA to send him a new replacement, so EVGA gave in and said 'fine, we'll hold onto a new one for you which we were going to sell'. But weeks later, EVGA had forgotten and had already sold it, or hadn't received new stock yet that they had expected to have received.

Otherwise, why was he begging and pleading for a new replacement? If it was standard practice, no begging or pleading would be required at all.

We all know what the stock status is like right now; especially in Europe. Getting a refurbished replacement within the first 30 days seems pretty expected to me.

Anyway, good on EVGA for doing their best to salvage this. Serves them right for making a promise. I doubt they will be as likely to make such a promise again. It's crazy for you to expect EVGA to have weeks worth of new cards sitting reserved on a shelf waiting for the dead ones to arrive through customs in Europe; and not expect them to sell the limited supply of new cards like they normally do.

You are not ever guaranteed a new card through EVGA warranty replacement.

What's the big deal with a used card which works as good as a new card and has the same warranty as a new card? Did the OP ever try it? Was there anything wrong with it? Is a working new card not better than the original broken new card?

So what do you do? Wait more weeks for another card? Pay more shipping and more customs fees?
    post edited by ty_ger07 - 2021/11/12 11:27:07

nomoss
    FTW Member
    Re: Shame on EVGA. 2021/11/12 11:26:39 (permalink)
    You make so many assumptions on everything.
    The faulty GPU isn’t a 2080Ti that some authorized retailer had in stock all this time. It’s a currently made product.
    Just because you personally are willing to accept a used replacement for a DOA out of the box new card still in production, doesn’t mean anyone else should.

ty_ger07
    Insert Custom Title Here
    Re: Shame on EVGA. 2021/11/12 11:29:37 (permalink)
    nomoss
    You make so many assumptions on everything.

As do you.
    Assumption #1: "Actually, he is guaranteed a new card if it arrives DOA.".
    Assumption #2: It's a currently manufactured card. There must be stock, right? .. In Europe of all places... EVGA must be able to accurately project RMA quantities for weeks in advance.

Every time this comes up, it's the same argument and assumptions.

Many people have received refurbished replacements from EVGA of currently manufactured cards for cards which failed during the first 30 days of ownership.
    post edited by ty_ger07 - 2021/11/12 11:41:02

EVGA_Lee
    • Total Posts : 4247
    • Ribbons : 14
    Re: Shame on EVGA. 2021/11/12 11:53:20 (permalink)
    To clarify our warranty here, the warranty states that a NIB product will be provided for RMA's within 30 days of purchase (B-stock excluded), subject to availability.  Yes, this does mean that a customer may receive a recertified product if a new product fails within 30 days, because there is no new product available to send them.  This does happen sometimes, even though we try to keep some new stock available for these sorts of situations, but we also do need to provide a timely replacement for a customer.  EVGA is within its rights to determine the best way to resolve this situation.

A second thing also occurred here, which is that a representative offered a customer a new-in-box product to replace the failed card.  In these cases, we feel there is an obligation to keep our word when a representative makes an assurance to a customer, even if there is a misunderstanding of our warranty policy.  That failure is on our side for training, or the representative was just having an off-day.  Either way, that will be handled internally. 

At the end of the day, both ty_ger07 and nomoss are both correct about different parts of this situation, but I think there is little further need to debate this here.
    Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile