EVGA

Helpful Reply3070 ti Firmware Issue

Author
Dante_Tel
  • Total Posts : 39
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 0
2021/10/10 02:17:35 (permalink)
So, just recently installed the 3070 ti into my system and everything was going great. Then decided to get a better handle on the card so I installed precision x1, still no problems. However, right after the firmware update that's when the problem happened. Now mind you this isn't a huge problem but it is still a valid problem so I figured I'd share it here. Ever since PX1 updated me to the latest firmware certain windows (I.E.: Task Manager, GPU-Z and AI Suite) when I click and hold and drag them instead of them moving with me at match speed the window will lazily drift behind my mouse in speed taking varying time to catch up with me. Again didn't have this problem at all until the firmware update, only reason why I know is because I was consistently moving and repositioning windows like GPU-Z both before I even installed PX1 and during its installation as well as when it was looking for and updating my DX files and such just by chance so I could read everything on screen. I only stopped moving things once the firmware update started, at that time I took my hands off everything, when it was done I went to move GPU-Z to another corner of the screen to have it next to the PX1 window and that's when it began to lazily drift into position instead of moving to where I was dragging it at the same speed as myself. So far I had tried reinstalling the NVIDIA drivers (which I had no problems with as I had installed them first when my machine first booted up with the new card, as I said no drifting or other anomalies at that time) and had also tried completely wiping PX1 from my machine just to rule those things out. None have worked so far. As I've said it isn't a HUGE issue as it only seems to affect certain windows but it is still an issue nonetheless so I figured I'd bring it up and maybe find a resolution to this strangeness. Any suggestions are welcome but if anyone from EVGA has any time or knows anything that will be especially appreciated. Thank you all in advance!

No longer watching queues as of: 09/24/2021
Best of luck to everyone!

TL;DR: Gone Fishin'
joseph305
Superclocked Member
  • Total Posts : 211
  • Ribbons : 2
Re: 3070 ti Firmware Issue 2021/10/10 08:45:48 (permalink)
congrats on getting 3070ti ... 
have you tried turning off pc completely ? you have fast boot on ? 

I had problem with x1 and nvidia software... x1 nuked my nvidia control panel when I installed
x1... had to uninstall both then reinstall both , ok for now...

10700, msi z590 mb ,16gig ram, 3070ti ftw3 ultra, win 10  , crucial m.2's
Mister E...
  • Total Posts : 89
  • Ribbons : 3
Re: 3070 ti Firmware Issue 2021/10/10 14:48:42 (permalink)
I've noticed this anomaly as well, but it doesn't occur with GPU-Z for me - it does do it with EVGAs E-LEET Tuning Utility (actually, when that's running, everything lags) - I suspect a conflict with either other hardware scanner utilities (eg. HWInfo, EVGA Flow Control, PX1, etc. - although I've exited all of those and it still occurs with E-LEET) or another piece of software.

Couldn't tell you if it happened before the firmware update as I installed E-LEET after that.
Dante_Tel
Re: 3070 ti Firmware Issue 2021/10/10 16:43:52 (permalink)
Mister E...
I've noticed this anomaly as well, but it doesn't occur with GPU-Z for me - it does do it with EVGAs E-LEET Tuning Utility (actually, when that's running, everything lags) - I suspect a conflict with either other hardware scanner utilities (eg. HWInfo, EVGA Flow Control, PX1, etc. - although I've exited all of those and it still occurs with E-LEET) or another piece of software.

Couldn't tell you if it happened before the firmware update as I installed E-LEET after that.

Yeah, I feel the only leg up I have is that I know for SURE that it happened right after the firmware update as I was moving the same windows around before I pressed the button to start the update (hooray for my OCD in constantly wanting to align windows I guess). Also only difference is it doesn't lag everything for me, just the window itself floats around lazily instead of sliding right over to where I move it at my speed for some weird reason. Taking everything out and putting it back in, taking one out while the other is in and reinstalling clean, neither did a thing which just points me again to the firmware update as it is the only thing in that equation that will/does not change.

Dante_Tel
Re: 3070 ti Firmware Issue 2021/10/10 16:51:43 (permalink)
joseph305
congrats on getting 3070ti ... 
have you tried turning off pc completely ? you have fast boot on ? 

I had problem with x1 and nvidia software... x1 nuked my nvidia control panel when I installed
x1... had to uninstall both then reinstall both , ok for now...

Oh yeah, I tried turning it off and/or restarting it at all the different points (I.E. Before/After changing/removing/reinstalling both the nvidia drivers and PX1) sadly no change. Also I don't use fast boot, I really don't need it and always considered it a hindrance since it isn't a proper shutdown. As I said in the previous comment, I tried every combination of uninstalling/reinstalling PX1 and the nvidia drivers, even tried a previous version of the nvidia drivers (the one I had installed before I installed the new card into my machine which was also stable even after introducing the new card). So yeah, so far the only thing not changing is the firmware which is why I pointed to it in my first post. Literally changed everything else I could think of with no change in results.

Dante_Tel
Re: 3070 ti Firmware Issue 2021/10/10 17:06:57 (permalink)
Just realized I should probably post my specs in the off chance it's some kind of hardware clash. I personally feel it's doubtful but I prefer to never overlook an avenue even if it seems doubtful to me at first. So here is a basic list of my components, if you think more details on a specific part may help or I should add a part I may have left out let me know and I'll elaborate further:

Mobo: ROG Crosshair VIII Hero (WI-FI)
CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X
Memory: CORSAIR Vengeance LPX 128GB (4 x 32GB) 288-Pin DDR4 SDRAM
GPU: EVGA GeForce RTX 3070 Ti FTW3 Ultra Gaming
PSU: Corsair AX1600i 1600W 80 Plus Titanium Fully Modular Digital ATX PSU

Again not so sure it'll shed any light on anything but I prefer to leave no stone unturned.

joseph305
Superclocked Member
  • Total Posts : 211
  • Ribbons : 2
Re: 3070 ti Firmware Issue 2021/10/11 09:24:45 (permalink)
just out of curiosity, you have a page file ? 
have a extra drive and do a basic clean install of windows on it ... 
have the latest bios for mb ? 

10700, msi z590 mb ,16gig ram, 3070ti ftw3 ultra, win 10  , crucial m.2's
Dante_Tel
Re: 3070 ti Firmware Issue 2021/10/11 21:55:34 (permalink)
joseph305
just out of curiosity, you have a page file ? 
have a extra drive and do a basic clean install of windows on it ... 
have the latest bios for mb ? 

Yep, I have a page file, though changing it in any way doesn't make a difference on the problem. Sadly no I do not have an extra drive to install to, part of me would like to test things out on a new installation but I really don't think it'll matter much since this problem occurred at such a specific moment on a system that received no changes in two months prior to the issue. Lastly thank you for mentioning the BIOS, I knew I forgot to do something and oddly enough that was the thing i was reminding myself to do EVERY DAY up until the installation...Then I forgot lmao. Also sadly after updating the BIOS to the latest version still no change on the bug. Didn't hurt to do it though since a lot of compatibility issues WERE fixed between my last update and now. But yeah, sadly no dice.

BizSAR
EGC Lead Admin / EVGA Forum Moderator
  • Total Posts : 1712
Re: 3070 ti Firmware Issue 2021/10/22 11:17:30 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby Dante_Tel 2021/10/23 23:48:02
Just did the same thing with a 3070Ti FTW3 Ultra Gaming and I'm not seeing the same issue (after PX1 updated the firmware/BIOS) using GPU-Z, Task Manager, etc.
Specs in my signature, but I am running with a fresh install of Windows 11 now. I thought I'd give it a try and report back since I had the opportunity to try the same scenario.
post edited by BizSAR - 2021/10/22 11:22:39

BizSAR
EVGA 3090Ti FTW3 Ultra / ZOTAC 4070Ti Trinity OC - ASUS ROG PG279QM
veganfanatic
CLASSIFIED Member
  • Total Posts : 2119
  • Ribbons : 1
Re: 3070 ti Firmware Issue 2021/10/23 07:16:18 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby Dante_Tel 2021/10/23 23:44:25
Reset windows is probably the best option available

Corsair Obsidian 750D Airflow Edition + Corsair AX1600i PSU
My desktop uses the ThinkVision 31.5 inch P32p-20 Monitor.
My sound system is the Edifier B1700BT
Dante_Tel
Re: 3070 ti Firmware Issue 2021/10/23 23:39:53 (permalink)
BizSAR
Just did the same thing with a 3070Ti FTW3 Ultra Gaming and I'm not seeing the same issue (after PX1 updated the firmware/BIOS) using GPU-Z, Task Manager, etc.
Specs in my signature, but I am running with a fresh install of Windows 11 now. I thought I'd give it a try and report back since I had the opportunity to try the same scenario.

At the very least we can say that probably proves that the problem is likely Windows 10 specific (if not also hardware specific but I'd be more keen to believe it's a Windows 10 thing) However I sadly have no intention of upgrading to Windows 11 until it is properly finished (likely not until some time in 2025). At this stage I've been learning to live with it as a classic 'quirk of the os' type scenario because even though I can track the cause down to seconds all op systems tend to develop said glitches and quirks over time regardless. Since this one is proving to be so minor I've reached the point of 'writing it off as a quirk' I guess you could say, especially since the card itself is so far functioning in a stable manner and as I need it to I don't want to waste too much time trying too hard and not having fun with what I have unless the quirk itself becomes worse of course. Hopefully in the long scheme of it the quirk will simply clear up as some quirks do after another driver or firmware update or when I migrate to Windows 11 down the road.

veganfanatic
Reset windows is probably the best option available

Yeah I was thinking the same thing before, however as I stated to the friendly moderator above I really just don't want to given everything that DOES work. If the problem becomes worse or a new one arises that is more detrimental I'll probably do a clean install though for sure. Either way I mainly posted about this just to get it out there if it happened to have a quick fix or if it happened to be a rare bug. This way one way or another the community at large is aware of it and other people that may run into it won't have to feel lost or alone. At the least I feel I have accomplished that goal and I'm probably going to leave it at that, again unless something else develops out of it of course.

Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile