EVGA

X299 FTWK boot issue and wake up issue, 2 separate things I believe

Author
Pacfanweb
  • Total Posts : 46
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 0
2021/10/10 09:01:00 (permalink)
I posted about this back when I got the motherboard.  Can't find that now. 

When I boot it up, I get a cursor on a black screen that says "select disc with OS" or something of that nature.  It can't find an operating system, apparently. 

BUT, I can reboot, go into Bios, and do nothing else but "Save and Exit" the Bios, not change a single setting....and it'll then find the correct hard drive with Windows and boot right up. 

Awhile back, I was advised to replace the CMOS battery even though this was a brand new motherboard.   So I did, and it didn't make any difference. 

Evidently I have a setting wrong somewhere?   No idea.   The PC still mostly works fine...but I have to hold F2 and go into Bios every time I boot it, then hit "Save and Exit" and I'm good. This is EVERY time I boot or reboot.   

Only other issue I have, and I don't think it's related, is....when the PC goes to sleep....and the box itself shuts down, no fans running or anything....when I hit a key to wake it up, after a minute or two, it will blue screen, say Windows has experienced and error and needs to reboot.   Reboot it, do the "Save and Exit" thing again in Bios, and it's good to go.    So I don't think this one is related to the initial boot up issue though. 
I found out if I leave World of Warships running, the monitor will go to sleep but the PC box stays running and it'll wake up just fine that way...but if it every goes totally to sleep to where the entire PC is "Off" and not running, it will experience this blue screen issue 100% of the time.    That's also a pain in the butt.   My searching on the 'net has been unhelpful so far for either concern.  

Thanks in advance for any suggestions. 

26 Replies Related Threads

awalleyeguy
    CLASSIFIED Member
    • Total Posts : 3444
    • Ribbons : 12
    Re: X299 FTWK boot issue and wake up issue, 2 separate things I believe 2021/10/10 20:50:58 (permalink)
    Memory issue? Power supply?
    Pacfanweb
    Re: X299 FTWK boot issue and wake up issue, 2 separate things I believe 2021/10/10 21:09:32 (permalink)
    awalleyeguy
    Memory issue? Power supply?

Anything's possible, I guess. 

This is my 2nd motherboard.  First one had a bent CPU pin and was replaced, but it did the same thing with the boot up deal.  I figured I must have some setting wrong since 2 different boards do it. 
    Mister E...
    • Total Posts : 89
    • Ribbons : 3
    Re: X299 FTWK boot issue and wake up issue, 2 separate things I believe 2021/10/11 15:36:16 (permalink)
    I'm assuming you've got your "Boot Options" in the UEFI/BIOS set correctly.  When it prompts for a disk, does it give you a list of disks/devices detected?

What are you booting off of - is it a traditional/mechanical SATA HDD, SSD, or M.2?

If you're booting off a traditional HDD, it's possible the HDD is failing/slow to spin up/power on so it's not detected on the first power on - when you hit the reset, it's had it's time to come online and then works.  You could run the diagnostic software (Eg. SMART) from the mfg. of the drive and see if anything is reported there.
    Pacfanweb
    Re: X299 FTWK boot issue and wake up issue, 2 separate things I believe 2021/10/12 20:13:27 (permalink)
    Mister E...
    I'm assuming you've got your "Boot Options" in the UEFI/BIOS set correctly.  When it prompts for a disk, does it give you a list of disks/devices detected?

What are you booting off of - is it a traditional/mechanical SATA HDD, SSD, or M.2?

If you're booting off a traditional HDD, it's possible the HDD is failing/slow to spin up/power on so it's not detected on the first power on - when you hit the reset, it's had it's time to come online and then works.  You could run the diagnostic software (Eg. SMART) from the mfg. of the drive and see if anything is reported there.

Don't know.  What should the settings be?   I know when I have the choice between UEFI and Legacy, it won't boot to Windows unless it's on Legacy.  If I change it to UEFI, it just boots right to the bios every time. 

I have an M.2 SSD. 

Has traditional SATA drives in it, but not to boot off of.  They are just from old PC's and have lots of pics and stuff on them.  

When I boot it up without hitting F2 to go to Bios, it goes to a black screen and says:  "Reboot and select proper boot device or insert media in selected boot device and press a key"

It'll do that indefinitely.  But I can reboot, hit F2 into Bios, then simply go to "Save and Exit" and it reboots and goes into Windows.  

Mister E...
    Re: X299 FTWK boot issue and wake up issue, 2 separate things I believe 2021/10/12 20:43:47 (permalink)
    In order to boot Windows in UEFI mode, your boot drive must be formatted/partitioned to GPT.  If your boot drive is partitioned/formatted to MBR, then only Legacy support is possible.  It is possible to convert MBR to GPT if needed.  You can check whether your drive is formatted MBR or GPT by checking the drive properties in device manager - check the "Volumes" tab and click "Populate" - Partition Style will show you what you're drive is formatted as (can also use Disk Manager instead).  I suspect your boot drive is formatted using MBR.

If your CMOS battery is dead, then it's possible your settings are being lost/reset - easy way is to check the date/time reported in the UEFI/BIOS - is it current/correct?  You should also have a hardware monitoring screen in the UEFI/BIOS where it might list the CMOS battery voltage - should be 3V.

Under the Boot Options, check if you've got an option to enable/disable the "Always show Boot Option" (or something like that - I've got that option on my x299 Dark with latest firmware).  Should be set to disabled since you don't want to be prompted every boot.

Lower on the Boot options screen should be a list of preferred boot devices - when using UEFI, the first boot option should be "Hard Disk:Windows Boot Manager".  Under Legacy or CSM, I believe it lists the devices/drives themselves - not sure on that though (and not sure if an M.2 device would appear there).  I'd need to pull up my Boot Options screen to verify, but I'm booting UEFI with Secure Boot enabled.
    post edited by Mister E... - 2021/10/12 21:16:52
    Pacfanweb
    Re: X299 FTWK boot issue and wake up issue, 2 separate things I believe 2021/10/13 05:39:33 (permalink)
    Mister E...
    In order to boot Windows in UEFI mode, your boot drive must be formatted/partitioned to GPT.  If your boot drive is partitioned/formatted to MBR, then only Legacy support is possible.  It is possible to convert MBR to GPT if needed.  You can check whether your drive is formatted MBR or GPT by checking the drive properties in device manager - check the "Volumes" tab and click "Populate" - Partition Style will show you what you're drive is formatted as (can also use Disk Manager instead).  I suspect your boot drive is formatted using MBR.

If your CMOS battery is dead, then it's possible your settings are being lost/reset - easy way is to check the date/time reported in the UEFI/BIOS - is it current/correct?  You should also have a hardware monitoring screen in the UEFI/BIOS where it might list the CMOS battery voltage - should be 3V.

Under the Boot Options, check if you've got an option to enable/disable the "Always show Boot Option" (or something like that - I've got that option on my x299 Dark with latest firmware).  Should be set to disabled since you don't want to be prompted every boot.

Lower on the Boot options screen should be a list of preferred boot devices - when using UEFI, the first boot option should be "Hard Disk:Windows Boot Manager".  Under Legacy or CSM, I believe it lists the devices/drives themselves - not sure on that though (and not sure if an M.2 device would appear there).  I'd need to pull up my Boot Options screen to verify, but I'm booting UEFI with Secure Boot enabled.

Okay, checked the disc and it has nothing listed next to Partition style.  All the discs show that way. 

CMOS battery I certainly hope isn't dead. That'd be the 3rd one in a row, counting the original one in this board and my first one that got RMA'd, since it did the same thing. I will check the voltage though. 

I don't think I have that Always Show Boot Option checked. 

I think it does list the individual drives...I have my M.2 drive selected as the 1st boot option.  
    Mister E...
    Re: X299 FTWK boot issue and wake up issue, 2 separate things I believe 2021/10/13 11:45:57 (permalink)
    In order for it to list something next to "Partition Style", you've got to click on the "Populate" button (for device manager).
    post edited by Mister E... - 2021/10/13 11:48:11

Attached Image(s)

Pacfanweb
    Re: X299 FTWK boot issue and wake up issue, 2 separate things I believe 2021/10/13 14:13:17 (permalink)
    Mister E...
    In order for it to list something next to "Partition Style", you've got to click on the "Populate" button (for device manager).

It's MBR
    awalleyeguy
    CLASSIFIED Member
    Re: X299 FTWK boot issue and wake up issue, 2 separate things I believe 2021/10/14 16:18:27 (permalink)
     Well, what you may need to do is the basics. Strip your machine down to only the essentials. 1 stick of memory 1 hard drive, mouse, keyboard, CPU, video card, and monitor. If that works add another stick of memory. If it doesn't replace memory with another stick, and so on. Then move on to other hardware. Connecting one at a time.
    Pacfanweb
    Re: X299 FTWK boot issue and wake up issue, 2 separate things I believe 2021/10/18 06:42:35 (permalink)
    Okay, so I learned something this morning:
    The box has had a clicking noise for awhile now, and originally I thought it might be the liquid cooler. 

But listening to it more, I started thinking it might be one of the old storage HDDs, and since this thread has someone saying to disconnect everything and strip it down, last night I unplugged all 3 old hard drives.  

I did it while the PC was up and running, just to see if the noise went away.  I think it did.  It worked fine the rest of the night like that.  

But I shut it down last night..and when I booted it this morning, it would not boot off the SSD only.   Just kept booting back into Bios.   I played with the settings some, but no change. 

So I started by plugging in one of the old drives.   Wanted to boot off that drive, which is my old laptop drive with Windows 7.  It blue screened, but it least it saw it. 

Unplugged that one, and plugged in another one....and it's back to normal.   Does what is described here in the main post.   Do that, and then I get the option to boot into Windows 10 or 7, choose 10 and it works.  (which is what always happens)
    So....not sure why it needs that other drive plugged up to "see" the SSD as a boot drive.   Maybe the MBR somehow got written to that drive?    

Only the SSD was hooked up when I installed Windows, though.  

What do we think now? 
    ZoranC
    FTW Member
    • Total Posts : 1099
    • Ribbons : 16
    Re: X299 FTWK boot issue and wake up issue, 2 separate things I believe 2021/10/18 10:37:46 (permalink)
    PacfanwebSo....not sure why it needs that other drive plugged up to "see" the SSD as a boot drive.   Maybe the MBR somehow got written to that drive?    

Only the SSD was hooked up when I installed Windows, though.  

What do we think now? 

Something is obviously messed up about your boot. Either configuration/settings or you could be having (root) virus. IMHO quickest way to sort out is it hardware or not would be to disconnect -all- drives you have right now, reset all boot related options to defaults, configure system to use secure boot without legacy support, connect new drive that is completely clean, install Win10 on that using GPT and see if everything is working fine. If it is working fine time for you to decide what would be quicker, reinstalling everything on new disk or figuring out why your old setup is not working.
    Mister E...
    Re: X299 FTWK boot issue and wake up issue, 2 separate things I believe 2021/10/18 19:23:24 (permalink)
    Try running MSConfig (System Configuration) from the search prompt (or Run box - Winkey+R)  and then check what's listed under the "Boot" tab.  If you have more than one option listed, double check the correct one is set as the default and/or delete any un-needed entries.
    Pacfanweb
    Re: X299 FTWK boot issue and wake up issue, 2 separate things I believe 2021/10/19 06:31:17 (permalink)
    Mister E...
    Try running MSConfig (System Configuration) from the search prompt (or Run box - Winkey+R)  and then check what's listed under the "Boot" tab.  If you have more than one option listed, double check the correct one is set as the default and/or delete any un-needed entries.

Okay, I did this.  The option to boot from Window 7 or 10 is now gone and it just goes straight into 10.
    But the issue with having to go into bios and hit "Save and exit" is still present. 

I believe the other advice was just to get another SSD and reload Windows on that?   Guess I could, or just wipe the current one.   Was hoping it was just something in the settings, though, especially since the first motherboard that got RMA'd did the same thing. 
    SILVER414GS
    • Total Posts : 1
    Re: X299 FTWK boot issue and wake up issue, 2 separate things I believe 2021/10/19 08:41:17 (permalink)
    Also see the thread:
    "trying to Prep for win11 need to set the secure boot with some issues"

post edited by SILVER414GS - 2021/10/19 08:42:47
    ZoranC
    FTW Member
    Re: X299 FTWK boot issue and wake up issue, 2 separate things I believe 2021/10/19 10:05:41 (permalink)
    Pacfanweb
    Was hoping it was just something in the settings, though, especially since the first motherboard that got RMA'd did the same thing. 

It is possible it is still something in the settings/configuration or just the battery but we can't know for sure because we don't know what your settings are nor can we check your battery for you. That is one of reasons why I have suggested you strip it to basics and start from scratch (including BIOS defaults and fresh Windows with a single drive), if that ends up working then you will get better idea in which area problem is.
    HeavyHemi
    Insert Custom Title Here
    • Total Posts : 15665
    • Ribbons : 135
    Re: X299 FTWK boot issue and wake up issue, 2 separate things I believe 2021/10/20 23:07:43 (permalink)
    Has the OP ever reinstalled Windows in UEFI mode? If not, that is step number one.  Make sure your OS drive is on SATA port 0 if you're using and SSD or nothing connected to any SATA port if you're using your M2 as your OS drive.
    Disconnect every drive but the drive you are going to use for the OS. Format that drive and clean install Windows in UEFI mode, secure boot enabled in standard mode.
    Any other drive you have, that has ever been used as a boot drive, save whatever data you need from it, and reformat it to make sure the motherboard is never confused with another boot loader on a different drive than your boot drive or C:.
    post edited by HeavyHemi - 2021/10/20 23:14:37

EVGA X99 FTWK / i7 6850K @ 4.5ghz / RTX 3080Ti FTW Ultra / 32GB Corsair LPX 3600mhz / Samsung 850Pro 256GB / Be Quiet BN516 Straight Power 12-1000w 80 Plus Platinum / Window 10 Pro

ZoranC
    FTW Member
    Re: X299 FTWK boot issue and wake up issue, 2 separate things I believe 2021/10/21 10:02:12 (permalink)
    HeavyHemi
    Has the OP ever reinstalled Windows in UEFI mode? If not, that is step number one.  Make sure your OS drive is on SATA port 0 if you're using and SSD or nothing connected to any SATA port if you're using your M2 as your OS drive.
    Disconnect every drive but the drive you are going to use for the OS. Format that drive and clean install Windows in UEFI mode, secure boot enabled in standard mode.

All of that has been already suggested.
    HeavyHemi
    Insert Custom Title Here
    Re: X299 FTWK boot issue and wake up issue, 2 separate things I believe 2021/10/21 11:37:14 (permalink)
    ZoranC
    HeavyHemi

Apparently they need to reinforcement to do the correct thing. As AFTER your post, they continued on the path of IMO, wasting their time. Also the sleep resume could be related as sleep and resume states and options are controlled by both the OS and the motherboard BIOS.
    post edited by HeavyHemi - 2021/10/21 11:40:13

EVGA X99 FTWK / i7 6850K @ 4.5ghz / RTX 3080Ti FTW Ultra / 32GB Corsair LPX 3600mhz / Samsung 850Pro 256GB / Be Quiet BN516 Straight Power 12-1000w 80 Plus Platinum / Window 10 Pro

ZoranC
    FTW Member
    Re: X299 FTWK boot issue and wake up issue, 2 separate things I believe 2021/10/21 11:58:13 (permalink)
    HeavyHemi
    ZoranC
    HeavyHemi

Apparently they need to reinforcement to do the correct thing. As AFTER your post, they continued on the path of IMO, wasting their time.

I, for one, can understand why one would want to try to figure out what is an issue without having to tear everything down and start from scratch. In any case it is a free country, how one wants to proceed with his/hers own system and time is not anybody else's business.  
    post edited by ZoranC - 2021/10/21 17:42:41
    awalleyeguy
    CLASSIFIED Member
    Re: X299 FTWK boot issue and wake up issue, 2 separate things I believe 2021/10/22 17:49:33 (permalink)
    I see a lot of reference to the CMOS battery is an issue. Unless things have changed the CMOS battery's purpose is to save settings in bios for when there is no power applied to the board in question. Not to randomly change settings.
    Correct me if I am wrong.
    ZoranC
    FTW Member
    Re: X299 FTWK boot issue and wake up issue, 2 separate things I believe 2021/10/22 18:04:55 (permalink)
    awalleyeguy
    I see a lot of reference to the CMOS battery is an issue. Unless things have changed the CMOS battery's purpose is to save settings in bios for when there is no power applied to the board in question. Not to randomly change settings.

So what do you think can happen with settings on next power down / up if battery is weak?
    awalleyeguy
    CLASSIFIED Member
    Re: X299 FTWK boot issue and wake up issue, 2 separate things I believe 2021/10/22 18:39:18 (permalink)
    I don't know the number but a CMOS battery does its purpose or it doesn't. The number I don't know is the voltage cut off of the battery doing its job or not. The settings are either saved or not. Doesn't simply save some and not others.
    ZoranC
    FTW Member
    Re: X299 FTWK boot issue and wake up issue, 2 separate things I believe 2021/10/22 18:50:46 (permalink)
    awalleyeguy
    I don't know the number but a CMOS battery does its purpose or it doesn't. The number I don't know is the voltage cut off of the battery doing its job or not. The settings are either saved or not. Doesn't simply save some and not others.

IMHO that logic is flawed. Voltages vs. integrity of "memory" do not work like what you say (and BIOS CMOS works like a memory, hence the need for battery). It is akin to regular memory vs. memory voltage. It takes very little of voltage dip for single bit to be flipped and in turn single value becoming corrupted, and symptom will depend on which bit(s) got flipped.
    HeavyHemi
    Insert Custom Title Here
    Re: X299 FTWK boot issue and wake up issue, 2 separate things I believe 2021/10/23 01:13:13 (permalink)
    ZoranC
    HeavyHemi
    ZoranC
    HeavyHemi

Apparently they need to reinforcement to do the correct thing. As AFTER your post, they continued on the path of IMO, wasting their time.

I, for one, can understand why one would want to try to figure out what is an issue without having to tear everything down and start from scratch. In any case it is a free country, how one wants to proceed with his/hers own system and time is not anybody else's business.  

Well since giving advice on how to proceed, 'is nobodies business', I guess there is no reason for any of us to have replied at all right?  He's already changed the CMOS battery. It's not the battery. You're wasting their time. We've wasted more time over making suggestions than actually DOING what was suggested: Simply doing a basic Windows install in UEFI mode with just the single drive. Attached.  You know, step one when an issue like this occurs.  But since, it is not our business to makes suggestions... Never mind flawed logic, I for one don't understand why some folk argue instead of trying to resolve the issue using their experience. Thanks for letting me know, I'm wasting my time.

ZoranC
    FTW Member
    Re: X299 FTWK boot issue and wake up issue, 2 separate things I believe 2021/10/23 11:35:47 (permalink)
    HeavyHemi
    ZoranC
    HeavyHemi
    ZoranC
    HeavyHemi

Well since giving advice on how to proceed, 'is nobodies business' ...

"Giving advice" is one thing. Feeling one should be reinforcer of what op should be doing is completely different one. Which one of these two you seemed to be doing? Based on your words (to quote you: "Apparently they need to reinforcement to do the correct thing") it seems the later one. Hence my comment.
    man114
    Re: X299 FTWK boot issue and wake up issue, 2 separate things I believe 2021/10/26 20:51:52 (permalink)
    I’m not gonna hijack this post but I’ve had numerous issues with this board.
    Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile