EVGA

Intel's CEO Blames Predecessors for Current State of the Company Wants Apple Business Back

Author
rjohnson11
EVGA Forum Moderator
  • Total Posts : 102262
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 84
2021/10/20 00:26:43 (permalink)
https://www.techpowerup.com/288048/intels-ceo-blames-predecessors-for-current-state-of-the-company-wants-apple-business-back-with-better-processors

It's funny how new company CEO's always seem to blame their predecessors for whatever went wrong and it seems like Pat Gelsinger is no different, as he's throwing shade at his predecessors for not having been engineers. At the same time, he's set his mind on winning Apple back as a customer, as all Intel apparently has to do "is create a better chip than they can do themselves", with they being Apple here.

It should be pointed out that Intel hasn't had an engineer at the helm of the company since 2005, so the question is how far back Pat Gelsinger wants to throw the blame, although a guesstimate would be back to at least 2012/2013 when Paul Otellini stepped down. That said, in an interview with Axios, it's stated that "while he acknowledges the need to prove himself, Gelsinger said he will rebuild the company's credibility with its customers so that if they say they need a million of some chip by Monday, the order will be there by Sunday night."

That's a lofty goal during the current circumstances, although it seems like he has an ever bigger goal in mind and that is to get Intel back in with Apple, although technically the company isn't "out" as yet, since the Mac Pro and the 27-inch iMac are still Intel based. Gelsinger said Apple "did a pretty good job" with its new SoCs, although this was before the M1 Pro and M1 Max were announced, so it would be interesting to hear what he thinks about the new chips. It's hard to see Apple going back to Intel, especially in the mobile space, unless Intel can somehow beat Apple's own processors when it comes to both performance and power efficiency.

For those of us that have been around for a while and that have followed Intel, it's hard to see how Intel is going to deliver a competitive product, since the company is infamous for its comparatively poor power efficiency compared to Arm based SoCs and there's a reason why Intel no longer is competing in the smartphone market space. So what does Gelsinger plan to do in the meantime? Well, it looks like he's going to be busy making sure Intel makes better and more appealing products. You can watch part of the interview below.

In my personal opinion blaming your predecessors for these types of issues is poor leadership. About the time that Intel has a better CPU than Apple, then Apple will be ready for it's 2nd or 3rd generation chip. 

AMD Ryzen 9 7950X,  Corsair Mp700 Pro M.2, 64GB Corsair Dominator Titanium DDR5  X670E Steel Legend, MSI RTX 4090 Associate Code: H5U80QBH6BH0AXF. I am NOT an employee of EVGA

1 Reply Related Threads

MasterMiner
    SSC Member
    • Total Posts : 713
    • Reward points : 0
    • Ribbons : 2
    Re: Intel's CEO Blames Predecessors for Current State of the Company Wants Apple Business 2021/10/20 20:03:07 (permalink)
    It’s interesting this obsession over node size… while 90+ percent of the world’s current workstations and supercomputers run just fine on 14nm, the trillions of $$$ necessary to convert it all to 5nm chips doesn’t make economic sense.

These super-small nodes have yet to prove themselves in the reliability bracket of getting hammered 24/7/365… xeons still churn it out.

I predict these ultras small nodes, by their very design, won’t last in a server environment long enough to pay off the investment.

High speed ddr5/6 is already having huge problems with reliability.

Quantum interference is real and the smaller the gate, the less reliable a chip gets.

I used to mine. Now I compute.
    Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile