EVGA

Author
Cschuster1
  • Total Posts : 3
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 0
2021/10/16 10:47:25 (permalink)
Ok how hosed am I? I spilled water in my pc and wet my 3080 I just now registered it with EVGA I bought it almost a year ago for $2,200 on offer up. Would they repcae it or can they help do you guys think? My friend put it together I know nothing about computers it’s my first time something like this has happened and I’m upset. How do I make a claim
post edited by the_Scarlet_one - 2021/10/16 11:11:51

5 Replies Related Threads

ObscureEmpyre
    SSC Member
    • Total Posts : 972
    • Ribbons : 7
    Re: 3080 2021/10/16 11:17:47 (permalink)
    Ouch! Was it powered on when the spill happened? If not, you may be able to dry it and have it work perfectly fine. It has to be completely and totally dry though. Otherwise, 888-881-3842 for customer service or tech support (9-6 PDT / Mon-Fri). I’m a user/consumer like yourself, so I absolutely cannot guarantee any repairs or replacements, but it may be worth a shot to speak with someone. EVGA may have some suggestions for you at the very least. Whatever the outcome, I wish you luck.

the_Scarlet_one
    formerly Scarlet-tech
    • Total Posts : 24581
    • Ribbons : 79
    Re: 3080 2021/10/16 11:18:46 (permalink)
    Cschuster1
    Ok how hosed am I? I spilled water in my pc and wet my 3080 I just now registered it with EVGA I bought it almost a year ago for $2,200 on offer up. Would they repcae it or can they help do you guys think? My friend put it together I know nothing about computers it’s my first time something like this has happened and I’m upset. How do I make a claim

First and foremost, water damage is not covered under warranty. EVGA will not process a claim for a card that has been physically damaged due to external factors, or caused by the owner.

Second, while I understand you are upset, vulgar language is absolutely not allowed on the forums, and your post has been edited to remove all of the vulgar language.

What you can try is taking the card out of the computer, and making sure it is completely dry. You may want to order new thermal paste, thermal putty, and thermal pads (all can be purchased from EVGA, but you may have to ask them about the thermal pads). If you get the new pads, paste, and putty, you can take the card apart and clean everything in hopes of removing any water. To do this, you would use rubbing alcohol, as it will push the water away. After cleaning the entire pcb with rubbing alcohol, I like to use a tooth brush to apply a small amount at a time, you will replace all of the putty, paste, and pads once the card has dried. It will take a few hours to complete, but it is the only option aside from finding a local repair shop that is willing to do the work for you.

Aside from doing it yourself, or finding a local repair shop, you are going to be mostly out of luck.

https://www.evga.com/warranty/graphics-cards/
    This Limited Warranty applies only to Products used in accordance with this Limited Warranty and EVGA's published documentation, and does not cover:

Products that are exposed to liquid, liquid residue or excessive humid environments resulting in rust, moisture, dampness, stains, corrosion or liquid spills on components, hardware or electronics. Burns or component flare-ups as a result of a liquid accident or spill.
    post edited by the_Scarlet_one - 2021/10/16 11:40:13
    Flint 1760
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    • Total Posts : 8295
    • Ribbons : 45
    Re: 3080 2021/10/16 11:53:56 (permalink)
    First, do not turn your system on and make sure it is unplugged.  You have not answered if it was running when you spilled water on it.

Second, pull everything out of the case, dry it all off, and leave it out to dry on a towel.

Put your PSU fan side down on a towel, big warning, do not attempt to take it apart.  If your system was running and water went into your PSU, then that is a problem and if it was me, the PSU would be replaced.

Third, your GPU, do exactly what @the_Scarlet_one said.  You have too much invested in it to take short cuts.

You can put a fan gentle blowing across your components and this will take some time, like a few days, to make sure there is not a speck of water left.  At least it was water and not soda.

Finally, you might check your homeowners or renters insurance to see if you are covered.
    post edited by Flint 1760 - 2021/10/16 12:00:18

Cschuster1
    • Total Posts : 3
    • Ribbons : 0
    Re: 3080 2021/10/16 12:20:14 (permalink)
    I typed that being chill why cant you curse on public fourms? What is this nazi Germany? 😂 god the world doenst have to be all PC my man I had a general question yes I cursed but let’s chill out
    the_Scarlet_one
    formerly Scarlet-tech
    • Total Posts : 24581
    • Ribbons : 79
    Re: 3080 2021/10/16 12:31:55 (permalink)
    Cschuster1
    I typed that being chill why cant you curse on public fourms? What is this nazi Germany? 😂 god the world doenst have to be all PC my man I had a general question yes I cursed but let’s chill out

You agree to the terms of the forum. If you don’t want to follow the rules, then we can assist with that too.
    Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile