EVGA

EVGA Unleash is the only reason I stopped using X17 after 1 day

Author
Dayvi123
  • Total Posts : 1
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 0
2021/10/04 09:43:53 (permalink)
I got the x17 a few days ago. The mouse itself is amazing. It feels extremely comfortable and light for someone like me with small hands and long fingers. Plus, 8000Hz polling rate felt really good to play with on a 240Hz monitor.

But my God, that EVGA Unleash software is even worse than Razer's Synapse and needs a LOT of work. After only 1 day I went back to the big bulky Corsair Nightsword that I have been using because despite the mouse, Corsair's iCue software is SO much more comprehensive and has so many QOL features that EVGA Unleash just seems to lack. Going from memory, here is a list of all the things that I noticed when I first started using Unleash that all added up to me eventually giving up on it:
  • The DPI lighting cannot be controlled. What's worse is that there isn't even an option to keep the DPI lighting ON at all times (it's really annoying that it turns off after a few seconds, maybe I want to know whether or not I accidentally changed my DPI while gaming? If it turns off, I have to actually change my DPI to know whether or not it was accidentally changed!).
  • That brings me to the next topic. There is no notification settings in the settings menu. My only options are to turn off everything or turn on everything through Windows' Notifications Center. Which by the way, I turned off all notifications for EVGA unleash, and the app disappeared from the app list in "notifications and actions" in the windows settings and now I have no way to re-enable notifications.
  • No way to duplicate an existing profile - having to start from scratch on each profile is painstaking!
  • No way to set persistent DPI settings across all profiles! Every new profile has a set of random garbage DPIs that I have to re-set to my preferred DPIs (which is often the same across multiple profiles).
  •  As an extension of the previous point - Missing the ability to create multiple DPI presets to then link to whichever profile we wish.
  • Possibly the worst one of all (or maybe I am just dumb and haven't figured out how to do it): We cannot link programs/applications to profiles! Why is such a basic feature as automated profile switching missing from EVGA Unleashed? Please tell me there is a really good and super valid reason.
  • Limited number of profiles? If you enabled automatic profile switching, then it wouldn't be necessary to limit us to only 5 profiles, because we wouldn't have to manually cycle through them.
  • Closing the app does not send it to the notification tray. It actually closes the app and runs it in the background. Minimizing the app, however, sends it to the tray. What if I wanted to actually minimize the app rather than send to tray? Maybe we need an option to send it to the tray when the close button is clicked and have the minimize button actually minimize the app?
This is all that I can think of for now, but I am sure that there were more! I apologize if some of my frustration has translated into my review of the product, it can't be helped, I bought the product and was only able to use it for a day due to software design flaws that are absolutely fixable and avoidable for an otherwise good product.

Edit: EVGA Needs to take a look at Corsair iCue and take some notes about all the features it has that Unleash doesn't, and then implement them into Unleash.
post edited by Dayvi123 - 2021/10/04 09:48:01

13 Replies Related Threads

EVGA_James
    EVGA Product Manager
    • Total Posts : 1026
    • Ribbons : 3
    Re: EVGA Unleash is the only reason I stopped using X17 after 1 day 2021/10/04 11:07:09 (permalink)
    We appreciate your feed back and will take it into consideration.

We designed Unleash and both our keyboards and mice so that any of the settings will save to the device's firmware. This makes it so that Unleash is not required to run in the background as there are many that do not wish to have a lot of background applications running at a time when there are so many utilities needed to control fans, RGB lighting, mb utilities etc etc.  

transdogmifier
    CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
    • Total Posts : 6116
    • Ribbons : 17
    Re: EVGA Unleash is the only reason I stopped using X17 after 1 day 2021/10/04 11:46:31 (permalink)
    I do find that eVGA's software is lacking .....sadly....I would like it to be a 'one stop shopping' experience, rather than using an eVGA product and no software, or an eVGA product and some other companies software that
    does what evga's *SHOULD* do.

then again, it's a fairly small company and I'm sure their devs are a bit swamped with stuff.

AMD Ryzen 7900x3d
    Deepcool LT720
    Gigabyte Aorus Elite AX X670 (Might change..don't like this board)
    eVGA GeForce RTX 3090 FTW3 Ultra Gaming (Hybrid kit on it)
    Asus ROG Swift PG43UQ 4k Monitor
    eVGA 1600W Supernova T2 PSU
    32GB Kingston 6000 DDR5 (2x16GB) Fury
    Corsair MP600 Pro 2TB (Boot)
    Corsair MP600 2TB (Games/Data)
    Phanteks P500A Case

skyline090
    Superclocked Member
    • Total Posts : 155
    • Ribbons : 1
    Re: EVGA Unleash is the only reason I stopped using X17 after 1 day 2021/10/04 12:05:04 (permalink)
    EVGA_James
    We appreciate your feed back and will take it into consideration.

We designed Unleash and both our keyboards and mice so that any of the settings will save to the device's firmware. This makes it so that Unleash is not required to run in the background as there are many that do not wish to have a lot of background applications running at a time when there are so many utilities needed to control fans, RGB lighting, mb utilities etc etc.  

I do appreciate this. The biggest issue that I have with iCue is that it is a resource hog. iCue runs in the background taking up too much memory imo. You can kill all their processes, but forced to deal with "hardware profile" rgb and default high fan speeds, which defeats the purpose of the software all-together. iCue makes everything from rgb to custom loops so much easier to manage though.

I do understand OP's gripes with the Unleash. I quit using the x17 more due to hardware quality, but the software was lacking as well. It lacks a feeling of refinement. Same reasons I switched to Afterburner full time. I just got tired of Precision X's repeated faults and inefficiencies.
    post edited by skyline090 - 2021/10/04 12:06:15

Custom loop w/EK blocks - 12900k, 4090 FE, z690 Apex, G.Skill DDR5 6600 c32, EVGA 1000 P6, Lian Li O11D XL

ArcturusV
    • Total Posts : 3
    Re: EVGA Unleash is the only reason I stopped using X17 after 1 day 2021/11/26 14:47:19 (permalink)
    Seriously upset with how lacking the unleash software is.   "We designed Unleash and both our keyboards and mice so that any of the settings will save to the device's firmware"   I hate to be critical here (but it needs to be done). You can have profiles saved to firmware and you can have software profiles.  Logitech Ghub can do this and so can SteelSeries GG and many of your other competitors.  EVGA needs to do more market research when it comes to software.  I have way more than 5 games and I often switch between them quite often.  I am going to have to return the X15, not because of the mouse but because of the Unleash missing automated profile switching.  I consider this feature to be a basic requirement without it the X15 is useless for me.     I have been a customer with EVGA for over 10 years but I need to see more effort, market research and usability studies in regards to software.     I would like to suggest the following:  One software for all your products, auto switching profiles, the software should be easy to use and configure, user beta testing/feedback.   The hardware is one piece to a good product, the other piece is software that is well designed.  If you do not have both pieces then you do not have a good product.
    post edited by ArcturusV - 2021/11/28 12:30:31
    Madface
    Re: EVGA Unleash is the only reason I stopped using X17 after 1 day 2021/11/27 15:11:44 (permalink)
    I just wish I could control the RGB with Precision X like my 3080 FTW3.
    ArcturusV
    • Total Posts : 3
    Re: EVGA Unleash is the only reason I stopped using X17 after 1 day 2021/11/28 12:29:18 (permalink)
    Correction:   product was incorrectly stated as a X17 when it was a X15.  nvm found the edit for the post
    post edited by ArcturusV - 2021/11/28 12:31:05
    ForSerious
    Superclocked Member
    • Total Posts : 195
    Re: EVGA Unleash is the only reason I stopped using X17 after 1 day 2021/12/03 14:41:53 (permalink)
    Dayvi123
    • No way to duplicate an existing profile - having to start from scratch on each profile is painstaking!

I feel like it would be pretty simple to add the ability to save and load profiles to and from the computer. This would eliminate a lot of the roughness of using UnleashRGB. Maybe not eliminate, but at least make it easier to recover from when it does mess up.
    Dayvi123
    • We cannot link programs/applications to profiles! Why is such a basic feature as automated profile switching missing from EVGA Unleashed?
    • Limited number of profiles? If you enabled automatic profile switching, then it wouldn't be necessary to limit us to only 5 profiles, because we wouldn't have to manually cycle through them.

Coming from a Razer mouse to the EVGA Torq X10, I loved that it was made to keep the profiles on the mouse. It was sooo annoying that if I wanted my profile to run on another computer, I had to install the software and load the profile and only then would the mouse work like I expected it to. Auto-switching is reliant on the Razer approach profiles. I'm pretty sure that EVGA was going more for the ability to configure the mouse how you want it once, then be able to plug it into a tournament computer or something like that. (It works awesome for work computers that are heavily controlled.) As far as more games than profiles go, It's rare these days to find a game that won't let you change the button/key bindings. DPI settings can be a bit harder, but still doable. I basically am able to use one profile for all my FPS games, one for work, one for RTS, one for MOBA and I still have one I'm not using.

Could EVGA do a hybrid approach? Probably. If they added the save/load feature, how hard would it be to load the profile from the computer into the mouse? They could even make it so that one of the five slots is the dedicated auto-swapout slot. Then users like me wouldn't be annoyed about profiles in specific slots being swapped out mistakenly.
    post edited by ForSerious - 2021/12/03 14:48:42
    cpypcy
    • Total Posts : 6
    Re: EVGA Unleash is the only reason I stopped using X17 after 1 day 2022/11/18 08:23:04 (permalink)
    Liking profile to app would be nice to have so it would autoswitch profile for game I have running but whatever. At least let me disable unused profiles! I don't want to cycle through all 5 I only use 3 profiles! I mean at least i can set button to return to profile 1 and ignore 3 and 5.

Unable to remap scrollwheel up and down only side to side.

Not being able to backup and load profiles to and from my computer? What is this 1999?

Corsair iCue suck and is missing features but man this is even worse!
    post edited by cpypcy - 2022/11/18 08:52:26
    zomgtruth
    • Total Posts : 12
    Flagged as Spam (1)
    Re: EVGA Unleash is the only reason I stopped using X17 after 1 day 2022/11/21 11:51:43 (permalink)
    Dont worry about it,.. X17 lasts about 4 months before the scroll wheel gives up the ghost. So youll likely decide to ditch the e-waste EVGA continues to foist onto unsuspecting consumers.

https://forums.evga.com/EVGA-X17-Gaming-Mouse-Loose-Scroll-Wheel-m3425353.aspx

https://forums.evga.com/X...gn-flaws-m3548029.aspx
    Hoggle
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 10101
    • Ribbons : 4
    Re: EVGA Unleash is the only reason I stopped using X17 after 1 day 2022/11/21 12:40:20 (permalink)
    zomgtruth
    Dont worry about it,.. X17 lasts about 4 months before the scroll wheel gives up the ghost. So youll likely decide to ditch the e-waste EVGA continues to foist onto unsuspecting consumers.

https://forums.evga.com/EVGA-X17-Gaming-Mouse-Loose-Scroll-Wheel-m3425353.aspx

https://forums.evga.com/X...gn-flaws-m3548029.aspx

I have several of the mice and none have had a scroll issue. I have the X15, X17 and two X20 and so far so good on all of them. I can’t say for sure but all of them look to have the same wheel.

One improvement to the software that I was thinking might be nice is if the RGB could have a setting for DPI speed. So lowest DPI would be blue and fastest would be red as a default with an option to pick custom colors.
    post edited by Hoggle - 2022/11/21 12:44:26

Use an Associates Code & SAVE 5% - 10% on your purchase. Just click on the associates banner to save, or enter the associates code at checkout on your next purchase. If you choose to use my code I want to personally say "Thank You" for using it. 

ForSerious
    Superclocked Member
    • Total Posts : 195
    Re: EVGA Unleash is the only reason I stopped using X17 after 1 day 2022/11/21 12:50:11 (permalink)
    Trying to keep this on topic. It has now been over a year, and it is sad that more of the issues presented in the opening post have not been addressed.
    At the very least, the ability to save and load profiles from the computer would be a major upgrade to the software. At this point, I hope the improvements haven't been quickly worked on because they're coming out with a new series of mice—one that's founded in all the feedback they got from this series.
    post edited by ForSerious - 2022/11/21 12:51:19
    metaleater
    • Total Posts : 5
    Re: EVGA Unleash is the only reason I stopped using X17 after 1 day 2022/11/22 18:37:12 (permalink)
    I just got an X15 after my Rival 500 gave up the ghost entirely, I concur with the sentiments that the software is lacking.

lukehanc
    Re: EVGA Unleash is the only reason I stopped using X17 after 1 day 2022/12/06 10:12:18 (permalink)
    I just bought a X15 and am thoroughly disappointed by the Unleash software.  I agree in particular these two points from OP:
    • No way to duplicate (or import/export) an existing profile - having to start from scratch on each profile is painstaking!
    • Possibly the worst one of all (or maybe I am just dumb and haven't figured out how to do it): We cannot link programs/applications to profiles! Why is such a basic feature as automated profile switching missing from EVGA Unleashed? Please tell me there is a really good and super valid reason.
    Why on earth, more than a year later, is profile auto-switching still not a part of the Unleash software?  This is a gross failure from the EVGA team, and we know you can do better, so I beg you please at least implement this.
    post edited by lukehanc - 2022/12/11 13:25:32
    Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile