EVGA

EVGA entertaining RTX 3090 RMA denial for small unrelated damage?

Author
hepaC
  • Total Posts : 2
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 0
2021/09/25 08:32:28 (permalink)
Hi, I'm trying to send in my non-posting RTX 3090 XC3 for RMA replacement. There is no damage to the PCB (no missing components, no dents, no scratches, no corrosion, no water damage). One of the cables connected to the cooler (JM1 cable), however, got disconnected from its connector. Not missing any pieces, however.

Additionally, one of the screw holes that attaches the heatsink to the card fell off it (can still secure fallen nut to screw w a little workaround, and can still secure card together). Still have all the parts and screws.

I'm being told by a rep that there is no guarantee that my card will be accepted for RMA because of this. So am I stuck with a paperweight because of these two small things? I understand EVGA wants the card in "factory condition," but isn't this a little too much? Other companies were never this strict.

I just don't understand how something like this could warrant complete RMA denial given the two issues are really minor and can be fixed easily. It's JUST a small cable that needs to be reattached to its connector (not even the wire itself is damaged) and the one screwhole that fell off (highlighted) is from a small slender metal plate that looks like it can be isolated and replaced easily.

I find it hard to believe that my failing RTX 3090 that costs over 1800 dollars would be denied RMA service because of something that is unrelated to the board or the functioning issue at hand, given the reputation of EVGA. It feels like any reason is trying to be found to not help me.
post edited by hepaC - 2021/09/25 08:34:39

7 Replies Related Threads

rjohnson11
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 102262
    • Ribbons : 84
    Re: EVGA entertaining RTX 3090 RMA denial for small unrelated damage? 2021/09/25 08:44:51 (permalink)
    forwarded to EVGA

AMD Ryzen 9 7950X,  Corsair Mp700 Pro M.2, 64GB Corsair Dominator Titanium DDR5  X670E Steel Legend, MSI RTX 4090 Associate Code: H5U80QBH6BH0AXF. I am NOT an employee of EVGA

the_Scarlet_one
    formerly Scarlet-tech
    • Total Posts : 24581
    • Ribbons : 79
    Re: EVGA entertaining RTX 3090 RMA denial for small unrelated damage? 2021/09/25 08:46:38 (permalink)
    So you haven’t sent the card in for inspection, you are just hearing that it could be an issue?

When you say the screw hole fell off? Do you mean the stand off broke off? The only time I have ever seen EVGA deny a warranty for a broken stand-off was because the user had dropped the card and broke the stand-off off, and had damaged the PCB as well, but tried to say only the stand-off had come off by itself. User induced physical damage is not covered, but if it isn’t something you did, you should be fine.

At this point, no one can do anything but wait for you to send the card in.

And if you think “other companies aren’t that strict” then I do believe you haven’t dealt other other companies to any real extent. There are many horror stories about the other companies. They can be a nightmare to deal with.
    EVGATech_MatthewC
    EVGA Tech Support
    • Total Posts : 128
    Re: EVGA entertaining RTX 3090 RMA denial for small unrelated damage? 2021/09/25 08:53:53 (permalink)
    Hello,

I have sent you a private message about this. It looks like this case is currently under review.
    hepaC
    • Total Posts : 2
    Re: EVGA entertaining RTX 3090 RMA denial for small unrelated damage? 2021/09/25 09:26:31 (permalink)
    the_Scarlet_one
    So you haven’t sent the card in for inspection, you are just hearing that it could be an issue?

When you say the screw hole fell off? Do you mean the stand off broke off? The only time I have ever seen EVGA deny a warranty for a broken stand-off was because the user had dropped the card and broke the stand-off off, and had damaged the PCB as well, but tried to say only the stand-off had come off by itself. User induced physical damage is not covered, but if it isn’t something you did, you should be fine.

At this point, no one can do anything but wait for you to send the card in.

And if you think “other companies aren’t that strict” then I do believe you haven’t dealt other other companies to any real extent. There are many horror stories about the other companies. They can be a nightmare to deal with.

I'm being told that I'm not being covered under warranty, before I even send anything in.

Yes, it was a standoff that fell off (the one for the sticker screw). I still have it and can secure the card with a little workaround. No missing pieces. 

I've never dropped the card, nor mishandled it. I think it would be easy to tell otherwise once inspected. I just want to assume poor build quality in regards to the broken wire and broken stand-off (which makes it even worse, because then I'm being penalized for something that isn't my fault). 

I've dealt with companies like ASUS and Sapphire, who are considered even stricter, that have allowed me to send cards without all these "factory condition" requirements. But yes you're right regarding other company horror stories and I don't deny them. 

I'm just disappointed at this and the fact that I have to wait a week before I can even send my card out because EVGA requires you to have the stock thermal pads on the card and so I was told I have to order and install them before just to avoid a 45 dollar "diagnostic fee." A rep even told me I need the stock putty on the card, or my card would be flat out rejected (YES, rejected). So if I buy a hybrid kit (which doesn't come with putty and requires me to take off the stock putty because the kit uses pads for the VRMS), am I just screwed? Doesn't make sense. Just more downtime and lots of confusion. 

post edited by hepaC - 2021/09/25 09:37:56
    EVGATech_AnthonyS
    EVGA Tech Support
    • Total Posts : 149
    Re: EVGA entertaining RTX 3090 RMA denial for small unrelated damage? 2021/09/27 07:49:43 (permalink)
    We actually sell the putty HERE, just in case anyone else may need it in the future.
    post edited by EVGATech_AnthonyS - 2021/09/27 07:50:54

Like our service? Please provide feedback for us at the link HERE
    repo1979
    FTW Member
    • Total Posts : 1116
    • Ribbons : 4
    Re: EVGA entertaining RTX 3090 RMA denial for small unrelated damage? 2021/09/27 09:45:28 (permalink)
    EVGATech_AnthonyS
    We actually sell the putty HERE, just in case anyone else may need it in the future.

Just to clarify we need to use stock evga paste and pads if we need to send a card in for warranty correct? Where do we buy the "stock pads" at? I got a 3090 that was a present from a family member and wanna make sure I understand this policy
    EVGA_RMA_JaysonC
    RMA Management
    • Total Posts : 1461
    • Ribbons : 3
    Re: EVGA entertaining RTX 3090 RMA denial for small unrelated damage? 2021/09/30 17:00:23 (permalink)
    hepaC
    Hi, I'm trying to send in my non-posting RTX 3090 XC3 for RMA replacement. There is no damage to the PCB (no missing components, no dents, no scratches, no corrosion, no water damage). One of the cables connected to the cooler (JM1 cable), however, got disconnected from its connector. Not missing any pieces, however.

Additionally, one of the screw holes that attaches the heatsink to the card fell off it (can still secure fallen nut to screw w a little workaround, and can still secure card together). Still have all the parts and screws.

I'm being told by a rep that there is no guarantee that my card will be accepted for RMA because of this. So am I stuck with a paperweight because of these two small things? I understand EVGA wants the card in "factory condition," but isn't this a little too much? Other companies were never this strict.

I just don't understand how something like this could warrant complete RMA denial given the two issues are really minor and can be fixed easily. It's JUST a small cable that needs to be reattached to its connector (not even the wire itself is damaged) and the one screwhole that fell off (highlighted) is from a small slender metal plate that looks like it can be isolated and replaced easily.

I find it hard to believe that my failing RTX 3090 that costs over 1800 dollars would be denied RMA service because of something that is unrelated to the board or the functioning issue at hand, given the reputation of EVGA. It feels like any reason is trying to be found to not help me.

Hi hepaC,

We do apologize for any confusion.  We reviewed this and we will be issuing a RMA to get you back up and running.

Please look out for an email to send your product in for warranty.

Regards,

-Jayson- EVGA USA RMA Dept.
    Reddit/Twitter - u/EVGA_JaysonC   @evga_jaysonc 

Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile