EVGA

EVGA Flow Control v.2.0.12

Author
Mister E...
  • Total Posts : 89
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 3
2021/09/25 19:28:32 (permalink)
EVGA Flow Control v.2.0.12 is available from the Drivers and BIOS page in the Download Center for those who are interested.

Unfortunately, it's still using a generic Asetek driver (appears as "Asetek USB Device" in Device Manager under USB Controllers) and hasn't been customized by EVGA at all.  The driver version is newer but it's still dated (v.6.7.2.0 from 2015-10-14).  Also, be warned that being a generic WinUSB driver (appears to be built by Silicon Laboratories Inc. for their USBXpress device) its got its "Safe Removal Required" flag set to <true> so the device appears in your system tray as a removable USB device and gives you the option to safely remove it (Eject 690LC).

I'd hope EVGA would have their own driver programmers and at least customize it to have the device listed as an EVGA CLC in Device Manager as well as disable the "Safe Removal Required" flag.
post edited by Mister E... - 2021/09/25 19:59:20

Attached Image(s)

6 Replies Related Threads

Cordorb
    SSC Member
    • Total Posts : 635
    • Ribbons : 2
    Re: EVGA Flow Control v.2.0.12 2021/09/27 18:16:04 (permalink)
    only change I see in release notes is :

Release Note v2.0.12
    • Adds WHQL support.

rgarvey58
    • Total Posts : 97
    Re: EVGA Flow Control v.2.0.12 2021/09/27 21:42:38 (permalink)
    Cordorb
    only change I see in release notes is :

Release Note v2.0.12
    • Adds WHQL support.

Yes, the updated "Asetek USB Device" driver is WHQL certified.... but as stated by @Mister E... it is almost 6 years old and generic to USB devices. The implementation of this driver is just "lazy", as why allow for "Safe Removal" of a critical component such as a CPU cooler? I realize that removing the device in the task bar doesn't stop it from functioning, but treating it with the same parameters as a USB thumb drive makes no sense. EVGA could have adopted this driver long ago, and made the necessary changes for use with an AIO.

Flow Control improvements don't seem to be a priority for EVGA, evident by still not offering for a fully user defined CPU fan curve which has been asked for years. I have a 5900x, and it is quite normal for the CPU to spike to >60c on boost for a few seconds, which spells havoc for the way the CPU fan curve is currently implemented. I can't use a CPU curve at all, and have defined a steep coolant curve from 30c - 44c. The only logical explanation to not having these basic features by now is no one is "really" working on Flow Control.
    coolmistry
    CLASSIFIED Member
    • Total Posts : 2502
    • Ribbons : 45
    Re: EVGA Flow Control v.2.0.12 2021/09/28 09:42:47 (permalink)
    Mister E...
    EVGA Flow Control v.2.0.12 is available from the Drivers and BIOS page in the Download Center for those who are interested.

Unfortunately, it's still using a generic Asetek driver (appears as "Asetek USB Device" in Device Manager under USB Controllers) and hasn't been customized by EVGA at all.  The driver version is newer but it's still dated (v.6.7.2.0 from 2015-10-14).  Also, be warned that being a generic WinUSB driver (appears to be built by Silicon Laboratories Inc. for their USBXpress device) its got its "Safe Removal Required" flag set to <true> so the device appears in your system tray as a removable USB device and gives you the option to safely remove it (Eject 690LC).

I'd hope EVGA would have their own driver programmers and at least customize it to have the device listed as an EVGA CLC in Device Manager as well as disable the "Safe Removal Required" flag.

That Safely remove which you can remove the usb cable... Have a look below > 
    Can I disconnect the USB Cable to a CLC Cooler after changing settings?I have CL360 here and don't use EVGA Flow software after I have change RGB colour then remove usb cable..I use onboard Fans Headers
    You can keep usb for you monitor the coolant temp etc...
    I use HWINFO64 to sensor my coolant and many more sensor! 

Windows 11 Home 64bits up to Dated
    i9 11900K 5,275 MHz (3,500 MHz) || EVGA Z590 FTW WIFI || 2 x Nvidia RTX 2080 Ti FE || 32Gb Dominator Platinum DDR3 3600mhz XMP OC 3800mhz || 500gb Samsung 980 Pro NVMe || 500gb Samsung 970 EVO and Sata M.2 (1 x SSD and 1xHHD) || EVGA CLCx 360 Cooler || EVGA Supernova 1300w X3 || EVGA Z10 Keyboard || EVGA TORQ X10 mouse ||EVGA DG 77 case || Acer Predator  X35 35" 200Hz G-Sync || Logitech Z906 5.1 system sounds SPDIF|| Kaspersky Internet Security
    rgarvey58
    Re: EVGA Flow Control v.2.0.12 2021/09/28 12:17:56 (permalink)
    coolmistry
    Can I disconnect the USB Cable to a CLC Cooler after changing settings?
    I have CL360 here and don't use EVGA Flow software after I have change RGB colour then remove usb cable..I use onboard Fans Headers
    You can keep usb for you monitor the coolant temp etc...
    I use HWINFO64 to sensor my coolant and many more sensor! 

You can plug the fans into a MB fan header and control them that way yes, but you lose the ability to set a curve based on coolant temp. This is the only reason I can use this AIO with Flow Control, because of a coolant temp curve. The point is EVGA offers control SW for their AIO's... and features are missing/don't work as needed that are standard across almost all AIO manufacturers. These shortcomings have been identified, and are not being addressed. 
    Mister E...
    • Total Posts : 89
    • Ribbons : 3
    Re: EVGA Flow Control v.2.0.12 2021/09/28 18:32:05 (permalink)
    coolmistry

But I don't want to remove the cable - I do want to use Flow Control which requires the USB data connection.

The CLC should simply have the "Safe Removal Required" flag set to <false> and the device wouldn't appear in your system tray for safe removal (as was the case with older version of Flow Control).

There are other mfg. CLCs with LCDs that do have onboard storage where you can load custom graphics - they've used that as the excuse for the 'Safe Removal' requirement (which is still pointless since monitoring is done by USB).  They're all using this same generic driver which is why it's also present on EVGAs CLC as well.  Silicon Laboratories Inc. which manufacturers the USB controller chip likely used in the CLC (and others) provides a very simple WinUSB driver customization/creation tool/wizard that's likely being used - unfortunately, it's not customized enough for the specifics of the various implementations.
    post edited by Mister E... - 2021/09/28 20:05:33

Attached Image(s)

rgarvey58
    Re: EVGA Flow Control v.2.0.12 2021/09/28 20:25:47 (permalink)
    I came across this tool today, and confirmed it works with EVGA coolers: 
    https://github.com/liquidctl/liquidctl

You can control the pump speed, fan speed, set a custom fan curve, and possibly control the rgb (haven't tried it yet). It is a command line tool (run it from PS), so not the most user friendly. You can create a .bat file to run with Windows Scheduler at startup to set all the parameters. Yet another alternative to FC, and figured I'd post it. FYI, you need to close FC to allow communication with the CLC. 
    Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile