EVGA

Is it just me or are the lian li sl120 Uni fans and hybrid fans so darn loud?

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Author
Chiyeji
  • Total Posts : 64
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 0
2021/09/24 17:10:56 (permalink)
My rig:GPU: Rtx evga ftw3 ultra 3080 ti hybrid.CPU: Ryzen 9 5900xCPU AIO: Lian Li Galahad 360 top mountedCase: Lian Li PC-o11D xlFans: 9 Sli Uni sl120 (3 of which on the Galahad Rad as exhaust on top of case, 3 on bottom of case as intake, 3 on the side as intake & push-pull with 2 gpu rad fans)GPU Push-Pull setup: The 3 lian li fans are side mounted on the inside of the case, and the GPU rad and its two 120 fans are on the opposite end, right next to the case back cover. The pc is located on the floor level about 3 feet from my desk. While gaming, with fans set to High-Speed @ 1570 rpm (a level below full speed) the noise is just excruciating. It sounds like a mini jet engine. With fans set to Full-Speed, it is unbearable. Unfortunately, the RTX 3080s run hot. Anything lower than full-speed results in high GPU temps. I just want to know if this expected. I have seen people posting about running fans at 1500 rpm and saying they are "quiet". At idle and fans set to quiet mode, 800 rpm, it runs beautifully. But god forbid I decide to play a game, smh. I was expecting better temps with the push-pull setup and the hybrid rtx 3080 ti. My temps while gaming, with the sl fans set to the highest speed and the evga fans capped at 70% (which sounds like a freaking god forsaken diseased crab scrapping at a guard rail), are around 70-73 degrees. I would prefer not to run the fans that high because of the noise. Does anyone else have my setup and have lower temps than me? If so, please share what you've done different from me.

This is my setup:
Rear: 1 exhaust
On bottom: 3 Uni fans as intake.
On Top: CPU Lian Li Galahad AIO as exhaust.
On Side: 3 Lian Li uni sl120s at intake (rainbow color). In the back of that are the 2 RTX 3080 TI hybrid rad and its two fans as intake as well.

post edited by Chiyeji - 2021/09/24 19:07:11

37 Replies Related Threads

LittleGuy
    iCX Member
    • Total Posts : 315
    • Ribbons : 4
    Re: Is it just me or are the lian li sl120 Uni fans and hybrid fans so darn loud? 2021/09/24 17:28:41 (permalink)
    I do not think they are load. I have them at 1900 max speed and I can not hear them

My Affiliate Code: 73ELXGWGG0
    Chiyeji
    Re: Is it just me or are the lian li sl120 Uni fans and hybrid fans so darn loud? 2021/09/24 17:30:04 (permalink)
    Which fans do u have on 1900 max: the lian li sl120 uni or the evga hybrid fans? And what case do you have? Do you have a similar setup to mine?

Can you make a video of it? Cause it is either i live in a twilight world or my fans are totally messed up and I need to RMA.
    What rpms are you sl120 fans and the evga fans?
    post edited by Chiyeji - 2021/09/24 17:55:02
    kevinc313
    CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
    • Total Posts : 5004
    • Ribbons : 22
    Re: Is it just me or are the lian li sl120 Uni fans and hybrid fans so darn loud? 2021/09/24 17:56:49 (permalink)
    Are you actually reading the RPM of the Stock hybrid radiator fans through the card, or do you have the Uni fans plugged into the card with splitters and are reading the Uni fan RPM?  Or running all the fans off various splitters and hubs, not actually reading the stock rad fans anywhere?  The stock fans are 2900RPM at full speed vs. the 1900RPM of the unifans, with different response to PWM, so if you send them all a PWM signal that results in 1500RPM on the Uni, the stock fans will run much faster maybe 2200RPM.  Sounds like not though, since you mention the stock fans at 70%.

I don't have any experience with the Unifans.  The stock ones are OK below 2000RPM, but certainly not quiet fans.  Having them on the outside probably doesn't help.  Are all the fans mounted solid?  Is there case mounting frame sandwiched between the fans and rad?  Is something loose?

To get temps in the 50C's with 20C ambient at full 400w+, you really need fans up around 1800-2000RPM. Only fans that will do that quietly are A12's and T30.  You may get slightly better results with the rad fans as side exhaust, as the intake is working against case pressure.

I'd get a pair of A12's and mount them to the outside of the hybrid rad, pulling out, with the uni's on push inside.
    post edited by kevinc313 - 2021/09/24 18:31:58
    Chiyeji
    Re: Is it just me or are the lian li sl120 Uni fans and hybrid fans so darn loud? 2021/09/24 18:53:12 (permalink)
    kevinc313
    Are you actually reading the RPM of the Stock hybrid radiator fans through the card, or do you have the Uni fans plugged into the card with splitters and are reading the Uni fan RPM?  Or running all the fans off various splitters and hubs, not actually reading the stock rad fans anywhere?  The stock fans are 2900RPM at full speed vs. the 1900RPM of the unifans, with different response to PWM, so if you send them all a PWM signal that results in 1500RPM on the Uni, the stock fans will run much faster maybe 2200RPM.  Sounds like not though, since you mention the stock fans at 70%.

I don't have any experience with the Unifans.  The stock ones are OK below 2000RPM, but certainly not quiet fans.  Having them on the outside probably doesn't help.  Are all the fans mounted solid?  Is there case mounting frame sandwiched between the fans and rad?  Is something loose?

To get temps in the 50C's with 20C ambient at full 400w+, you really need fans up around 1800-2000RPM. Only fans that will do that quietly are A12's and T30.  You may get slightly better results with the rad fans as side exhaust, as the intake is working against case pressure.

I'd get a pair of A12's and mount them to the outside of the hybrid rad, pulling out, with the uni's on push inside.

This is my setup:
    Lian Li Uni fans are all plugged into a Lian Li fan hub.
    EVGA rad fans are connected into the card as shipped. I did not change the default setup.

Rear: 1 exhaust
    On Side: 3 Lian Li uni sl120s at intake (rainbow color). In the back of that are the 2 RTX 3080 TI hybrid rad and its two fans as intake as well. Is that correct as push-pull?
    Is your suggestion to do this:
          On side: Set the 3 Uni fans as exhaust (basically flipping them over from what is currently in the pic-as you can see the back label on the fans indicate they are in the intake position). And in the back set the 2 Evga rad fans as exhaust as well (so that the back label is visible-just like what the pic shows on the side uni fans)?
    And would I have to change the orientation of the top aio fans and the bottom intake and rear exhaust as well?

P.S., by ambient temperature do you mean your bedroom temp, the room where your pc is located? or you mean idle temp of the gpu when not on load?
    post edited by Chiyeji - 2021/09/24 19:27:34
    kevinc313
    CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
    Re: Is it just me or are the lian li sl120 Uni fans and hybrid fans so darn loud? 2021/09/24 19:13:00 (permalink)
    Chiyeji
    This is my setup:
    On Side: 3 Lian Li uni sl120s at intake (rainbow color). In the back of that are the 2 RTX 3080 TI hybrid rad and its two fans as intake as well. Is that correct as push-pull?
          On side: Set the 3 Uni fans as exhaust (basically flipping them over from what is currently in the pic-as you can see the back label on the fans indicate they are in the intake position). And in the back set the 2 Evga rad fans as exhaust as well (so that the back label is visible-just like what the pic shows on the side uni fans)?

P.S., by ambient temperature do you mean your bedroom temp, the room where your pc is located? or you mean idle temp of the gpu when not on load?

Yeah ambient temperature can be taken as general room temp, or the air temp around the PC where it is intaking room air.

You are understanding correctly about switching to exhaust on the hybrid rad and you describe the correct way to do it, but I can't say it will make a huge difference in temps or noise.  It might help a bit.

Sounds like you have the correct config for push pull intake, but maybe just double check to be sure those stock fans are actually intaking. Make sure there's nothing obstructing, I can see the case mounting frame but that's pretty thin.  The stock rad fans are very leaky, at the fan frame to rad and at the blades to frame, and that amount of leak plus the normal airflow is making bunch of turbulence noise against the side grille of the O11. 

You could just have a bad fan, maybe test in free air alone and against resistance.  The crab scraping sound is not normal.

I've not had a problem with mis-matched push pull fans, but you may have encountered a combo that creates some sort of resonance+noise.  Maybe remove the stock fans and try just push pull Uni's on the rads, take the extra one from the side and one from the bottom.  The Uni's are not as powerful as the stock fans but a set of them in push pull should be plenty of flow and quieter.

If I read your original post right, you're at 70C with ~2000rpm fans?  That's very wrong if your ambient temps are under 25C. Is this a kit or a factory hybrid card?  Could have a bad mount.  VRM fan running at a good speed? 

post edited by kevinc313 - 2021/09/24 19:27:58
    Chiyeji
    Re: Is it just me or are the lian li sl120 Uni fans and hybrid fans so darn loud? 2021/09/24 19:35:55 (permalink)
    kevinc313
    Chiyeji
    This is my setup:

Yeah ambient temperature can be taken as general room temp, or the air temp around the PC where it is intaking room air.

You are understanding correctly about switching to exhaust on the hybrid rad and you describe the correct way to do it, but I can't say it will make a huge difference in temps or noise.  It might help a bit.

Sounds like you have the correct config for push pull intake, but maybe just double check to be sure those stock fans are actually intaking. Make sure there's nothing obstructing, I can see the case mounting frame but that's pretty thin.  The stock rad fans are very leaky, at the fan frame to rad and at the blades to frame, and that amount of leak plus the normal airflow is making bunch of turbulence noise against the side grille of the O11. 

You could just have a bad fan, maybe test in free air alone and against resistance.  The crab scraping sound is not normal.

I've not had a problem with mis-matched push pull fans, but you may have encountered a combo that creates some sort of resonance+noise.  Maybe remove the stock fans and try just push pull Uni's on the rads, take the extra one from the side and one from the bottom.  The Uni's are not as powerful as the stock fans but a set of them in push pull should be plenty of flow and quieter.

If I read your original post right, you're at 70C with ~2000rpm fans?  That's very wrong if your ambient temps are under 25C. Is this a kit or a factory hybrid card?  Could have a bad mount.  VRM fan running at a good speed? 

I will try some different combinations tomorrow with other fans, starting with the one you suggested about the rear and bottom fans.
    To reach 70C I would have to set the hybrid rad fans at 70% (1749 rpm), the two graphic card fans, the ones attached to the gpu itself, at 70% (2100 rpm) and my Uni Fans to Max speed (1900 rpm). Maxing out the rear exhaust fans does not reduce the temps, so I leave it at 60% (1100 rpm).
    I may have to RMA this card. It seems to me that this should not be the case at all. Perhaps the pump is not fully working.
    post edited by Chiyeji - 2021/09/24 19:42:27
    kevinc313
    CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
    Re: Is it just me or are the lian li sl120 Uni fans and hybrid fans so darn loud? 2021/09/24 19:47:28 (permalink)
    Chiyeji
    I will try some different combinations tomorrow with other fans, starting with the one you suggested about the rear and bottom fans.
    To reach 70C I would have to set the hybrid rad fans at 70% (1749 rpm), the two graphic card fans, the ones attached to the gpu itself, at 70% (2100 rpm) and my Uni Fans to Max speed (1900 rpm). Maxing out the rear exhaust fans does not reduce the temps, so I leave it at 60% (1100 rpm).
    I may have to RMA this card. It seems to me that this should not be the case at all. Perhaps the pump is not fully working.

Good luck with your testing and troubleshooting.  With those kinds of fan speeds, your general set up, 20-25C ambient, decent room air air circulation and ~400w sustained (stock settings, gaming load uncapped fps), it should easily be at ~60C.  Something is wrong.

Oh yeah, you could potentially have a really bad and noisy pump on the card so really stick you head in there and listen with the glass off.  You know, I can't fully see where your hoses go into the rad, I would expect to see them right below the fans, but the hoses look short, pulled tight and bent pretty hard at the card - there's no severe bends/kinks? They aren't looping around to enter the rad from the outside?
    post edited by kevinc313 - 2021/09/24 19:59:03
    Chiyeji
    Re: Is it just me or are the lian li sl120 Uni fans and hybrid fans so darn loud? 2021/09/24 20:00:56 (permalink)
    kevinc313
    Chiyeji

Good luck with your testing and troubleshooting.  With those kinds of fan speeds, your general set up, 20-25C ambient, decent room air air circulation and ~400w sustained (stock settings, gaming load uncapped fps), it should easily be at ~60C.  Something is wrong.

Oh yeah, you could potentially have a really bad and noisy pump on the card so really stick you head in there and listen with the glass off.  You know, I can't fully see where your hoses go into the rad, I would expect to see them right below the fans, but the hoses look short, pulled tight and bent pretty hard at the card - there's no severe bends/kinks? They aren't looping around to enter the rad from the outside?

The hoses are not as tight as it looks (poor pic quality on my part). There are no bends/kinks or loops.
    This push-pull is just a headache. I'll try with just a regular side mounted rad replacing the stock fans with the uni fans. So the gpu  rad will be in the exact position as the rainbow colored uni fans.
    Also, what do u mean by leaky stock fans?
    post edited by Chiyeji - 2021/09/24 20:02:08
    LittleGuy
    iCX Member
    Re: Is it just me or are the lian li sl120 Uni fans and hybrid fans so darn loud? 2021/09/24 20:06:19 (permalink)
    This is what I have:

Lian Li o11 dynamic xl
    Lian Li Galahad 360 AIO
    3900XT
    Gigabyte x570 Master 
    3080Ti FTW3 
    10 Lian Li Uni sl120 Fans (Max speed 1900 all day)
    post edited by LittleGuy - 2021/09/24 20:22:48

kevinc313
    CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
    Re: Is it just me or are the lian li sl120 Uni fans and hybrid fans so darn loud? 2021/09/24 20:09:12 (permalink)
    Chiyeji
    kevinc313
    Chiyeji

The hoses are not as tight as it looks (poor pic quality on my part). There are no bends/kinks or loops.
    This push-pull is just a headache. I'll try with just a regular side mounted rad replacing the stock fans with the uni fans. So the gpu  rad will be in the exact position as the rainbow colored uni fans.

Yeah you might luck out with just the Uni fans pushing exhaust. Make sure to turn the bottom fans way up and take it easy with the CPU and rear fans.

Leaky as in air leaks, on the stock fans there is a gap from the fan frame to the rad and there is a big gap from the fan blades to the fan frame.  Some air will leak out or bounce off the rad and back out the fan.
    post edited by kevinc313 - 2021/09/24 20:30:00
    Chiyeji
    Re: Is it just me or are the lian li sl120 Uni fans and hybrid fans so darn loud? 2021/09/24 20:34:49 (permalink)
    LittleGuy
    This is what I have:

Lian Li o11 dynamic xl
    Lian Li Galahad 360 AIO
    3900XT
    Gigabyte x570 Master 
    3080Ti FTW3 

Bro, can you do me a big favor and make a video of your setup with your fans max 1900 rpm.
    There is absolutely no way you can tell me that they are quiet. You have the same setup as I and those fans start being noisy at around 1130 rpm. I need to know if I have faulty fans so that I can RMA.
    Chiyeji
    Re: Is it just me or are the lian li sl120 Uni fans and hybrid fans so darn loud? 2021/09/24 20:37:07 (permalink)
    kevinc313
    Chiyeji
    kevinc313
    Chiyeji

Yeah you might luck out with just the Uni fans pushing exhaust. Make sure to turn the bottom fans way up and take it easy with the CPU and rear fans.

Leaky as in air leaks, on the stock fans there is a gap from the fan frame to the rad and there is a big gap from the fan blades to the fan frame.  Some air will leak out or bounce off the rad and back out the fan.

With Side Fans as exhaust. Should I change the top aio uni fans to intake then?
    Is this setup good: Top as intake. Bottom as intake. rear as exhaust. and side as exhaust?
    kevinc313
    CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
    Re: Is it just me or are the lian li sl120 Uni fans and hybrid fans so darn loud? 2021/09/24 20:42:29 (permalink)
    Chiyeji
    kevinc313
    Chiyeji
    kevinc313
    Chiyeji

With Side Fans as exhaust. Should I change the top aio uni fans to intake then?
    Is this setup good: Top as intake. Bottom as intake. rear as exhaust. and side as exhaust?

Keep the top exhaust.  Just run it on a moderate speed.  The bottom 3 fans will flow more than all 5 the fans on the rads and the rear, the rads really slow down air flow.

https://youtu.be/IJmE13sG9PI?t=315
    post edited by kevinc313 - 2021/09/24 20:46:14
    LittleGuy
    iCX Member
    Re: Is it just me or are the lian li sl120 Uni fans and hybrid fans so darn loud? 2021/09/24 20:51:27 (permalink)
    Chiyeji
    LittleGuy
    This is what I have:

Lian Li o11 dynamic xl
    Lian Li Galahad 360 AIO
    3900XT
    Gigabyte x570 Master 
    3080Ti FTW3 

Bro, can you do me a big favor and make a video of your setup with your fans max 1900 rpm.
    There is absolutely no way you can tell me that they are quiet. You have the same setup as I and those fans start being noisy at around 1130 rpm. I need to know if I have faulty fans so that I can RMA.
    [/quote

You just have sensitive ears or mine not so much. My fans a not silent, but not like a jet engine like you indicate,, come on they are only 1900 max speed. Watch some you tube videos on them. I can hear them if I put my ear to the top of my case.. I can hear my 3080 Ti at 60% fan speed than the lian li fans. My case is on the floor at the end of desk.
    post edited by LittleGuy - 2021/09/24 21:08:44

Chiyeji
    Re: Is it just me or are the lian li sl120 Uni fans and hybrid fans so darn loud? 2021/09/24 21:18:33 (permalink)
    LittleGuy
    Chiyeji
    LittleGuy
    This is what I have:

Lian Li o11 dynamic xl
    Lian Li Galahad 360 AIO
    3900XT
    Gigabyte x570 Master 
    3080Ti FTW3 

[/quote

You just have sensitive ears or mine not so much. My fans a not silent, but not like a jet engine like you indicate,, come on they are only 1900 max speed. Watch some you tube videos on them. I can hear them if I put my ear to the top of my case.. I can hear my 3080 Ti at 60% fan speed than the lian li fans. My case is on the floor at the end of desk.

I can hear mine from outside the room at 1900 rpm. Either my ears are really sensitive or you need an ear exam bro. :)
    LittleGuy
    iCX Member
    Re: Is it just me or are the lian li sl120 Uni fans and hybrid fans so darn loud? 2021/09/24 22:13:31 (permalink)
    Chiyeji
    LittleGuy
    Chiyeji
    LittleGuy
    This is what I have:

Lian Li o11 dynamic xl
    Lian Li Galahad 360 AIO
    3900XT
    Gigabyte x570 Master 
    3080Ti FTW3 

[/quote

I can hear mine from outside the room at 1900 rpm. Either my ears are really sensitive or you need an ear exam bro. :)

Could be :) but, the little noise does not bother me. I just put them down to Quit(800 RPM) to test and the noise is the same and has not changed, so the noise I here is from the 3080 TI. The fans are rated for max 31 DB and to me that's not loud.  Its like coil wine, I can not here that in most videos, is it there most likely. The odds of you having 9 defective/faulty fans is pretty low, I would think. 

My 3080Ti runs at 70c with the room at 22C at 100 fan speed benchmarks and that is loud and can easily here 20+ feet away. While my 3080 FTW3 runs at 61 in benchmarks in the same case with a very aggressive fan curve. The 3080 TI's run hotter. 

You should have your 3080 TI hybrid on top exhausting and the 360 AIO on the side intake to see if you can lower your temps as you are dumping all the 400 watt hot air into the case.
    post edited by LittleGuy - 2021/09/24 22:16:37

Chiyeji
    Re: Is it just me or are the lian li sl120 Uni fans and hybrid fans so darn loud? 2021/09/25 00:06:31 (permalink)
    LittleGuy
    Chiyeji
    LittleGuy
    Chiyeji
    LittleGuy
    This is what I have:

Lian Li o11 dynamic xl
    Lian Li Galahad 360 AIO
    3900XT
    Gigabyte x570 Master 
    3080Ti FTW3 

[/quote

Could be :) but, the little noise does not bother me. I just put them down to Quit(800 RPM) to test and the noise is the same and has not changed, so the noise I here is from the 3080 TI. The fans are rated for max 31 DB and to me that's not loud.  Its like coil wine, I can not here that in most videos, is it there most likely. The odds of you having 9 defective/faulty fans is pretty low, I would think. 

My 3080Ti runs at 70c with the room at 22C at 100 fan speed benchmarks and that is loud and can easily here 20+ feet away. While my 3080 FTW3 runs at 61 in benchmarks in the same case with a very aggressive fan curve. The 3080 TI's run hotter. 

You should have your 3080 TI hybrid on top exhausting and the 360 AIO on the side intake to see if you can lower your temps as you are dumping all the 400 watt hot air into the case.

i will also try out that config tomorrow. Thanks guys
    KingEngineRevUp
    FTW Member
    • Total Posts : 1030
    • Ribbons : 9
    Re: Is it just me or are the lian li sl120 Uni fans and hybrid fans so darn loud? 2021/09/25 00:53:58 (permalink)
    You have two mismatched fans, they produce different RPM, CFM, pressure, etc. That's why they're noisy and sound bad. Probably performing worse too.

These two fans are too different. I would get two sl120 in push pull
    kevinc313
    CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
    Re: Is it just me or are the lian li sl120 Uni fans and hybrid fans so darn loud? 2021/09/25 08:20:50 (permalink)
    KingEngineRevUp
    You have two mismatched fans, they produce different RPM, CFM, pressure, etc. That's why they're noisy and sound bad. Probably performing worse too.

I ran the stock FTW3 Hybrid fans with A12's push pull in a few different ways and didn't have any odd noises.  Including at motherboard controlled 100% PWM on both fans.

But as I said earlier, OP may have encountered a resonance or some other strange behavior.  Just the difference in RPM and flow/pressure should not have an effect, with a tight radiator between them.  I would not want to dissuade people from using mis-matched push pull when in the large majority of cases it should work just fine and have a clear benefit.
    post edited by kevinc313 - 2021/09/25 08:55:20
    KingEngineRevUp
    FTW Member
    Re: Is it just me or are the lian li sl120 Uni fans and hybrid fans so darn loud? 2021/09/25 09:35:52 (permalink)
    kevinc313
    KingEngineRevUp

I ran the stock FTW3 Hybrid fans with A12's push pull in a few different ways and didn't have any odd noises.  Including at motherboard controlled 100% PWM on both fans.

But as I said earlier, OP may have encountered a resonance or some other strange behavior.  Just the difference in RPM and flow/pressure should not have an effect, with a tight radiator between them.  I would not want to dissuade people from using mis-matched push pull when in the large majority of cases it should work just fine and have a clear benefit.

It's a definite your mileage my vary. But if his fans are creating a horrible noise, it has to be due to the mismatched fans.

I just built a SL120 system with 9 fans in it and at 100% it didn't sound bad at all. It was actually pretty quiet, even through radiators.
    kevinc313
    CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
    Re: Is it just me or are the lian li sl120 Uni fans and hybrid fans so darn loud? 2021/09/25 09:58:01 (permalink)
    KingEngineRevUp But if his fans are creating a horrible noise, it has to be due to the mismatched fans.

If it was, this would be the first actual report I've heard of it causing a problem with the FTW3 fans, or any Push Pull combo, but I know some conventional wisdom is to not do it.  It certainly could be the cause in OP's setup, but it could also be due to how the generally unusual stock fan interacts with the slotted case vents and rad, or any number or other things as previously discussed. Regardless, when I recommend in the future that people mismatch with the stock fans, I will offer a warning about the possibility of a resonance.

You could conceivably have a matched set of light non-rad fans across a more open free flowing rad and have some sort of resonance problem.  Many of the higher speed, rad specific fans I'm familiar with have much stiffer blades than the light ones on the FTW3 fans.

You know, the T30's in the bottom of my Lancool and my 3090 FTW3 Ultra don't play nice at certain higher RPM combos, I adjusted them, but that's a powerful fan blowing right at another in free air.  I have to assume OP tried a variety of rpm combos adjusting his, I only ran my hybrid ganged at the same PWM, different RPM's.  When I had a front CLC280, I ran mismatched fans and mismatched speed controls, had them all over the place.
    post edited by kevinc313 - 2021/09/25 10:22:40
    mmomega
    Re: Is it just me or are the lian li sl120 Uni fans and hybrid fans so darn loud? 2021/09/25 11:15:24 (permalink)
    They definitely can make some background noise for sure.
    My sons rig has the SL and mine has the AL, essentially the same fans and above 1200-1300 they definitely start getting audible. 
    They are more static pressure fans than airflow fans. I can tell a difference between these and the Corsair QL120 I had previously, which are more airflow. 
    I swapped because the Corsair didn't push as much air through the radiators at lower RPM, so I had to crank them higher to get the performance I was wanting but then I get the added noise of the fans. With the Lian Li's I keep them around 1250 and they are barely audible.
    If you have several just make sure they are all synced to the same speed. 
    I had an issue where I have 2 controllers and 1 of them was staying PWM instead of manual, so that group of fans were significantly louder. Once I could get both groups of fans manually around 800-1250 rpm the fan noise was much much more faded into the background.

DAD-EVGA Z790 Dark KP: 13900KS: 64GB 8000: dual 2TB 990 Pro: Gigabyte 4090 w/ 1000w Bios: Seasonic 1600w Prime Titanium 3-360rad fat boys + EK DirectDie 

SON-Asus Strix b550i: AMD 5900X: 32GB 3600C16: dual 1TB WD nvme: evga 3080Ti: sfx750 psu: 2-360rad + optimus block +optimus gpu block+ ek pump/res +16mm hardlined

WIFE-Asus x670e Creator: AMD7950X: 64GB 6000: 1TB nvme: evga K|NGP|N 3090: Seasonic 1000w Prime Titanium psu : 3-360rad + ek block + ek distroblock/pump 
    KingEngineRevUp
    FTW Member
    Re: Is it just me or are the lian li sl120 Uni fans and hybrid fans so darn loud? 2021/09/25 12:32:42 (permalink)
    kevinc313
    KingEngineRevUp But if his fans are creating a horrible noise, it has to be due to the mismatched fans.

If it was, this would be the first actual report I've heard of it causing a problem with the FTW3 fans, or any Push Pull combo, but I know some conventional wisdom is to not do it.  It certainly could be the cause in OP's setup, but it could also be due to how the generally unusual stock fan interacts with the slotted case vents and rad, or any number or other things as previously discussed. Regardless, when I recommend in the future that people mismatch with the stock fans, I will offer a warning about the possibility of a resonance.

You could conceivably have a matched set of light non-rad fans across a more open free flowing rad and have some sort of resonance problem.  Many of the higher speed, rad specific fans I'm familiar with have much stiffer blades than the light ones on the FTW3 fans.

You know, the T30's in the bottom of my Lancool and my 3090 FTW3 Ultra don't play nice at certain higher RPM combos, I adjusted them, but that's a powerful fan blowing right at another in free air.  I have to assume OP tried a variety of rpm combos adjusting his, I only ran my hybrid ganged at the same PWM, different RPM's.  When I had a front CLC280, I ran mismatched fans and mismatched speed controls, had them all over the place.

Like I said, I just did this build last weekend but with sl120 only and we didn't hear anything horrible. It actually sounded very nice.

I had ML120 and QL120 and they made a horrible noise at certain mismatched RPMs. I had to sync their points where there wasn't a noise I didn't like with two different fan headers and two different profiles.
    kevinc313
    CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
    Re: Is it just me or are the lian li sl120 Uni fans and hybrid fans so darn loud? 2021/09/25 12:49:03 (permalink)
    KingEngineRevUp

I had ML120 and QL120 and they made a horrible noise at certain mismatched RPMs.

Were they on the same radiator, push pull?
    KingEngineRevUp
    FTW Member
    Re: Is it just me or are the lian li sl120 Uni fans and hybrid fans so darn loud? 2021/09/25 16:14:42 (permalink)
    kevinc313
    KingEngineRevUp

I had ML120 and QL120 and they made a horrible noise at certain mismatched RPMs.

Yes, isnt that what we're discussing?

From OP:

"On Side: 3 Lian Li uni sl120s at intake (rainbow color). In the back of that are the 2 RTX 3080 TI hybrid rad and its two fans as intake as well."
    post edited by KingEngineRevUp - 2021/09/25 16:16:18
    kevinc313
    CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
    Re: Is it just me or are the lian li sl120 Uni fans and hybrid fans so darn loud? 2021/09/25 16:22:14 (permalink)
    KingEngineRevUp
    kevinc313
    KingEngineRevUp

From OP:

"On Side: 3 Lian Li uni sl120s at intake (rainbow color). In the back of that are the 2 RTX 3080 TI hybrid rad and its two fans as intake as well."

So you had ML120's and QL120's on an EVGA or equivalent Asetek AIO radiator, and had resonant noise problems?  Just trying to get details about the situation you encountered.
    Chiyeji
    Re: Is it just me or are the lian li sl120 Uni fans and hybrid fans so darn loud? 2021/09/25 19:50:00 (permalink)
    I have come to the conclusion that EVGA sent me a defunct 3080 Ti hybrid card. The pump/rad just isn't doing anything.

GPU temps will climb to near 90 C if I don't crank all my fans to max. I had to purchase the 3 additional sl120s fans (the ones on the side). The only way to use my gaming pc is to sweat due to all the damn heat and feel like blowing my head off because of all the noise, even after downvolting the card and maxing all 14 fans in the case to get decent temps on a hybrid card. I've quit on the rtx 3080 TI hybrid after two frustrating days of testing out several fan configurations. I'll just use reinstall my good old rtx 2060.

Bad enough the card came with a broken plastic on one of the rad fans. But I was willing to overlook it due to my excitement of finally getting a card. Now, $1500+ later and months of waiting, I will have to RMA and start the process all over again, smh. I almost just want to get my money back and just manage my rtx 2060 card until the next gen comes along. But evga is charging 15% restocking fee.

So, I've no choice but to wait for the RMA process. I will call Monday to get the process started.

In the meantime, I would like to know if anyone has been through RMA in this climate and how long was the wait.
    post edited by Chiyeji - 2021/09/25 20:07:21
    Kokin
    Superclocked Member
    • Total Posts : 106
    Re: Is it just me or are the lian li sl120 Uni fans and hybrid fans so darn loud? 2021/09/25 21:54:47 (permalink)
    Chiyeji
    I have come to the conclusion that EVGA sent me a defunct 3080 Ti hybrid card. The pump/rad just isn't doing anything.

GPU temps will climb to near 90 C if I don't crank all my fans to max. I had to purchase the 3 additional sl120s fans (the ones on the side). The only way to use my gaming pc is to sweat due to all the damn heat and feel like blowing my head off because of all the noise, even after downvolting the card and maxing all 14 fans in the case to get decent temps on a hybrid card. I've quit on the rtx 3080 TI hybrid after two frustrating days of testing out several fan configurations. I'll just use reinstall my good old rtx 2060.

Bad enough the card came with a broken plastic on one of the rad fans. But I was willing to overlook it due to my excitement of finally getting a card. Now, $1500+ later and months of waiting, I will have to RMA and start the process all over again, smh. I almost just want to get my money back and just manage my rtx 2060 card until the next gen comes along. But evga is charging 15% restocking fee.

So, I've no choice but to wait for the RMA process. I will call Monday to get the process started.

In the meantime, I would like to know if anyone has been through RMA in this climate and how long was the wait.

I believe you only need to wait 1-2 weeks at most from what I've read throughout RMA discussions in this forum. Most of the wait is shipping to EVGA and then the return shipping.

Use my Associate Code to get 3-10% off your purchase: D7J9R5NG8G0BRER
    KingEngineRevUp
    FTW Member
    Re: Is it just me or are the lian li sl120 Uni fans and hybrid fans so darn loud? 2021/09/26 05:11:42 (permalink)
    kevinc313
    KingEngineRevUp
    kevinc313
    KingEngineRevUp

From OP:

So you had ML120's and QL120's on an EVGA or equivalent Asetek AIO radiator, and had resonant noise problems?  Just trying to get details about the situation you encountered.

I had a 3080 FTW3 Hybrid and 3080 Ti hybrid in a O11-XL exactly where OP has his radiator.

I've also had ML120 and ML120, and LL120 and ML120 at some point. I did a bit of testing.

https://imgur.com/a/az6vNNV
    Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
    Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile