EVGA

3090 FTW3 Ultra Random Backscreens With G-Sync?

Author
TopHATTwaffle
  • Total Posts : 11
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 0
2021/09/19 01:38:26 (permalink)
Hello!

I'm currently trying to figure out an issue with this card. I'm constantly getting black screens followed by a driver crash. The black screen and crashes happen when I'm playing games or normal desktop activities like browsing the internet / watching videos. What normally happens is the image will freeze, but sound will continue playing. After about 5 seconds all my displays will go black for an additional 5-30 seconds. Then my 2 DisplayPort displays will come back online, while the HDMI display remains off until reboot. After the displays come back, and video playback has been ended with an error and any 3d applications have force closed. On some occasions the displays do not come back and the whole system needs to be restarted. My primary monitor is a Samsung Odyssey G9 on DisplayPort, then I have 2 LG displays with one on DisplayPort and the other on HDMI.

This is in event viewer after the crash:

The description for Event ID 14 from source nvlddmkm cannot be found. Either the component that raises this event is not installed on your local computer or the installation is corrupted. You can install or repair the component on the local computer.
If the event originated on another computer, the display information had to be saved with the event.
The following information was included with the event:
\Device\00000138
CMDre 00000003 00000200 00300400 00000004 00800000
The message resource is present but the message was not found in the message table

Things I have already tried:
- Disabled ReBAR
- Defaulted BIOS
- Updated BIOS
- Disabled XMP profile
- DDU in safe mode and updated drivers to latest GRD, and SD driver
- DDU in safe mode and tried older drivers
- Booted with no additional windows programs loaded, including removal of monitoring software and X1
- Tried Windows 10 20H2 and 21H2 versions
- Replaced the 3090 with my old 1080ti, issue goes away.
- Under clocked the card using the slider in X1
- Lowered power limit in X1
- Disconnected all displays but the primary monitor
- Prefer Maximum Performance in Nvidia Control Panel
- Enabled Debug Mode

The final thing I tried was disabling G-Sync - this change seems to have made the issue go away.

Any idea what I could try so I can try to enable G-Sync. It makes playing more demanding titles are full resolutions a much nicer experience.

6 Replies Related Threads

Frugl1
    • Total Posts : 8
    Re: 3090 FTW3 Ultra Random Backscreens With G-Sync? 2021/09/20 10:23:33 (permalink)
    Could you try downgrading to 466.77 and see if this persists? I've been facing something simmilar. But did not occure to me to disable gsync. 466.77 is completely stable.
    TopHATTwaffle
    Re: 3090 FTW3 Ultra Random Backscreens With G-Sync? 2021/09/20 11:53:16 (permalink)
    I'm actually running 466.77 since it has been the most stable, but unfortunately still has the issue after a while.
    Frugl1
    • Total Posts : 8
    Re: 3090 FTW3 Ultra Random Backscreens With G-Sync? 2021/09/20 11:58:04 (permalink)
    With what frequency do you experience this?
    TopHATTwaffle
    Re: 3090 FTW3 Ultra Random Backscreens With G-Sync? 2021/09/20 12:32:47 (permalink)
    Normally after an hour or so of normal computer usage.

I've been able to more reliably reproduce it using Dolphin Emulator. I would Load Project+ though Dolphin Emulator, and it would crash after about 5 minutes. Since I've disable GSync I was able to play for about 5 hours yesterday.
    ButterGlands
    • Total Posts : 19
    Re: 3090 FTW3 Ultra Random Backscreens With G-Sync? 2021/10/08 12:08:15 (permalink)
    I've been troubleshooting a few different issues including the random black screens.  I did find that stability increased after running microsoft's DSIM.exe and system file checker and rebuilt following the instructions below.  Not 100% of the way there, but definitely progress. Thought this might help somebody....

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/topic/use-the-system-file-checker-tool-to-repair-missing-or-corrupted-system-files-79aa86cb-ca52-166a-92a3-966e85d4094e
    [font="'helvetica neue', arial, helvetica, sans-serif; font-size: 22px"]Run the System File Checker tool (SFC.exe)
    To do this, follow these steps:
  • Open an elevated command prompt. To do this, do the following as your appropriate:
  • If you are running Windows 10, Windows 8.1 or Windows 8, first run the inbox Deployment Image Servicing and Management (DISM) tool prior to running the System File Checker.  (If you are running Windows 7 or Windows Vista, skip to Step 3.) 
    Type the following command, and then press Enter.  It may take several minutes for the command operation to be completed.
    DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Restorehealth
    Important: When you run this command, DISM uses Windows Update to provide the files that are required to fix corruptions. However, if your Windows Update client is already broken, use a running Windows installation as the repair source, or use a Windows side-by-side folder from a network share or from a removable media, such as the Windows DVD, as the source of the files. To do this, run the following command instead:
    DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth /Source:C:\RepairSource\Windows /LimitAccess
    Note: Replace the C:\RepairSource\Windows placeholder with the location of your repair source. For more information about using the DISM tool to repair Windows, reference Repair a Windows Image.
  • At the command prompt, type the following command, and then press ENTER:
    sfc /scannow
    mpoffo
    SSC Member
    • Total Posts : 625
    • Ribbons : 3
    Re: 3090 FTW3 Ultra Random Backscreens With G-Sync? 2021/10/08 22:35:43 (permalink)
    ButterGlands
    I've been troubleshooting a few different issues including the random black screens.  I did find that stability increased after running microsoft's DSIM.exe and system file checker and rebuilt following the instructions below.  Not 100% of the way there, but definitely progress. Thought this might help somebody....

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/topic/use-the-system-file-checker-tool-to-repair-missing-or-corrupted-system-files-79aa86cb-ca52-166a-92a3-966e85d4094e
    [font="'helvetica neue', arial, helvetica, sans-serif; font-size: 22px"]Run the System File Checker tool (SFC.exe)
    To do this, follow these steps:
    • Open an elevated command prompt. To do this, do the following as your appropriate:
    • If you are running Windows 10, Windows 8.1 or Windows 8, first run the inbox Deployment Image Servicing and Management (DISM) tool prior to running the System File Checker.  (If you are running Windows 7 or Windows Vista, skip to Step 3.) 
      Type the following command, and then press Enter.  It may take several minutes for the command operation to be completed.
      DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Restorehealth

I have been having similar issues recently with my 3090 FTW.  I did a complete uninstall of anything Nvidia and reinstalled the latest.  In addition I did what ButterGlands did in Windows.  So far, so good but I have been noticing issues with the last few driver releases.   

X299 System:
    Windows 10 Pro 64-bit | Intel Core i9 7900x (4.4 GHz)| ASUS Rampage VI 
    Extreme | 32 GB 3200 G.SKILL TridentZ RGB 
    Corsair 900D | Corsair AX 1200i PSU | Corsair H115i Elite Capellix (in Push/Pull) | EVGA RTX 3090 FTW3 Ultra & 1080 8 GB
    Samsung 870 PRO 2 TB | Samsung 850 EVO 500 GB | Intel 520 SATA SSD 240GB HD | 2 & 4 TB WD Black Hard Drive 
    Creative Sound Blaster Z | Logitech THX 5.1 speaker setup | LG Blu-ray burner | Corsair AF 120 and 140 Fans
    Acer x34 Predator (G-Sync) | 2 x Samsung SyncMaster PX2370  

Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile