EVGA

PC stuttering in low end games if using balanced power option

Author
Shavlan
  • Total Posts : 6
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 0
2021/09/17 13:45:06 (permalink)
So I just recently purchased a new computer. The specs are ryzen 9 5900x, evga ftw3 ultra 3080, 32 gigs of 3600 cl16 ram, seagate firecuda 520 2tb, asus tuf x570 plus-wifi. I noticed that when playing games that didn't require a higher end pc that the fps would consistently drop to the exact same number then instantly go back to the cap. Whenever this occurred it was like a micro stutter. Games such as league of legends or btd6 would cause this a lot. I tried almost everything to fix the issue including reinstalling drivers, all the way to reinstalling windows. I later came across a forum saying to try to switch my power plan to high performance. This did make the frame drops stop. I was wondering if anyone knew why balanced power plan with this pc does that?  

7 Replies Related Threads

ryo0hki0
    • Total Posts : 10
    Re: PC stuttering in low end games if using balanced power option 2021/09/17 16:48:55 (permalink)
    Anything that limits power on your system could cause issues with gaming.  Slap that baby in performance mode, and game with the best of us.  Depending on how the balance mode is cutting corners, it could limit everything from CPU speeds to (and I'm guessing here) Possibly bus speed.  There are quite a few tweaks you can to with a Ryzen 9.  Did you do anything in the bios after install?  What Ram did you put in the system?  I would really need more information, what motherboard are you using?  

Short Short answer.  Play your games in performance mode.
    Shavlan
    Re: PC stuttering in low end games if using balanced power option 2021/09/17 17:15:49 (permalink)
    I didn't mess with the bios settings other than docp, the ram and motherboard are listed in the description. Motherboard is asus tuf x570 plus wifi and the ram is trident z 3600mhz cl16
    MDG73
    Superclocked Member
    • Total Posts : 103
    Re: PC stuttering in low end games if using balanced power option 2021/09/17 17:38:22 (permalink)
    Shavlan
    I didn't mess with the bios settings other than docp, the ram and motherboard are listed in the description. Motherboard is asus tuf x570 plus wifi and the ram is trident z 3600mhz cl16

I believe ryo0hki0 meant this:> Control Panel\Hardware and Sound\Power Options - then select performance or high performance power plan. Or in Nvidia control panel :> Manage 3d settings\scroll down to power management mode and select prefer maximum performance for the titles you play.   

9900k OC 5.0GHz 
    Lian-Li Galahad 360
    ASUS Z390-E Gaming MB
    Corsair Vengeance Pro 32Gb 3200MHz
    EVGA 3080 Ti FTW3 Ultra 12GB
    LG 34GP950G-B Monitor
    Samsung 500GB & 1TB 970 EVO Plus M.2 Drives
    Samsung 870 EVO 2TB SSD
    Team Group CX2 2TB SSD
    EVGA SuperNOVA 1300 P+, 80+ PLATINUM
    Corsair 5000D Airflow
    Affiliate Code: U6E1FWAKJI

Shavlan
    Re: PC stuttering in low end games if using balanced power option 2021/09/17 18:01:04 (permalink)
    Oh I did that, that’s what stopped the frame drops. I’m more so just wondering why the pc has issues with such easy to run games on balanced power settings.
    kevinc313
    CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
    • Total Posts : 5004
    • Ribbons : 22
    Re: PC stuttering in low end games if using balanced power option 2021/09/17 18:29:55 (permalink)
    Shavlan
    Oh I did that, that’s what stopped the frame drops. I’m more so just wondering why the pc has issues with such easy to run games on balanced power settings.

That's just how it is.  The GPU has like 3 or 4 different power/clock states between the 210mhz idle and 1800mhz full tilt.  If the game is CPU or framerate limiter bound and the graphics are relatively basic, the GPU will select a power state for itself below the max, based on the load it detects.  Then it will get confused when a higher graphical load comes along that actually needs a higher power state to maintain framerates and it will take a few seconds to figure that out.  The way around this is to use "prefer max performance" but to apply it on a per application basis, so the card will still idle at 210mhz when nothing important is running.  You can use the ATI Tool "fuzzy cube" ultra light load to get 6000fps, max power state (~50% power) at max clock, it isn't CPU bound at insane framerates.

With these modern high end cards, there is such a huge gap between what the card is capable of at full power vs. what it takes to do desktop tasks like productivity apps, internet browsing or playing a normal res video.  Late last year I installed an SSD and W10E LTSC on a 2006 vintage "multimedia" laptop, even with a proper GPU driver (Geforce Go 7600) it couldn't play a streaming 720P video in a browser without dropping frames.  Youtube barely existed when that machine was released.  Though it could play a 720P file in MPC or stream the right format of 720P into VLC.
    post edited by kevinc313 - 2021/09/17 18:45:44
    jeffmd
    Superclocked Member
    • Total Posts : 173
    Re: PC stuttering in low end games if using balanced power option 2021/09/17 21:54:34 (permalink)
    Instead of choosing aggressive power saving modes, do what I do and limit your higher performance. You will find cpu/gpu don't require much additional cooling when doing %75 loads. So in the case of extreme CPUs (I have the i9 9900) I can choose to leave the turbo off (Recently I opted to re-instate turbo all the time, but instead limit its boost to 80watts and have it fall back to 65 watts. This gives me back my high core speeds on low loads). I leave my 3070ti at default accept so far in the case of final fantasy 14, very easy to push game so I actually go into X1 and drop its power all the way down to %50. This keeps my rig from producing unnecessary heat on games that don't need much power to run. 
    ryo0hki0
    • Total Posts : 10
    Re: PC stuttering in low end games if using balanced power option 2021/09/20 15:50:29 (permalink)
    In balance and power saver modes in windows, Windows is always looking for ways to lower its power consumption.  It will make mistakes when playing games.  In a ideal world it would go HEY!  this guy is playing a game, ramp it all up!  But, when your playing a game in balance its still looking for things it can shut down. (to save power).  Its even worse when your playing games on a laptop and its on battery, If you got two video options,  Integrated and a second more beefy mobile card (built in or not). balance can force you out of using the beefy card over the integrated graphics.
    Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile