EVGA

EVGA GeForce RTX 2070 overheating and fans not spinning

Author
sPotr12
  • Total Posts : 6
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 0
2021/09/12 18:27:39 (permalink)
I have had a 2070 for around a year now and have not run into any issues until I started to play Dark Souls 3 and noticed awful frame drops, when used task managers RM to see if I could diagnose my problem from there I noticed my GPU temp had gone to 88C. I then looked in my case and noticed my fans were not running at all.

Here are some of the steps I took after this to try and find out what is going on.

• Downloaded Precision X1 to force my fan speed and even setting it to manual setting yields no results
  • Unplugged my PCI-E power Cable and plugged it back in: nothing
  • Switched my PCI-E power Cable with another: nothing
  • Took my GPU out entirely and cleaned it of what little dust there was: nothing

I have run up against a wall here and don't want to potentially damage my GPU, as if it has gotten that hot before I have not noticed it.

My current build is as follows:
  • Motherboard: ASRock X570 Pro4
  • CPU: AMD Ryzen 3600
  • GPU: EVGA GeForce RTX 2700
  • PSU: Corsair TX 650W
  • Hard Drive: Samsung 1TB SSD
  • RAM: 2x G.Skill 16GB DDR4
As an Addendum that may or may not be relevant my case is a very old E-Machines case that I KNOW does not have that great of air flow, but I have modified it take larger, better fans when I made this build.

5 Replies Related Threads

Cool GTX
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 30975
    • Ribbons : 122
    Re: EVGA GeForce RTX 2070 overheating and fans not spinning 2021/09/12 18:48:50 (permalink)
    Welcome to the EVGA Forums

Is it still under warranty ?

which RTX 2070 do you have ?

I'm understanding you can not force fans to 100% even with X1 software ?

did the fans turn freely when card was out of the case ?  .... nothing touching fan blades

Learn your way around the EVGA Forums, Rules & limits on new accounts Ultimate Self-Starter Thread For New Members

I am a Volunteer Moderator - not an EVGA employee

https://foldingathome.org -->become a citizen scientist and contribute your compute power to help fight global health threats

RTX Project EVGA X99 FTWK Nibbler EVGA X99 Classified EVGA 3080Ti FTW3 Ultra

sPotr12
    Re: EVGA GeForce RTX 2070 overheating and fans not spinning 2021/09/12 19:15:55 (permalink)
    It is still under a 3 year standard limited warranty according to EVGA's warranty page, with the suffix KR being present on my card.
    It is an RTX 2070 Black
    I am not sure what the limitations of the software are, but the fans will not spin at all, regardless of the what % they are set to. I believe that they should also spin a little when turning the computer on, but they have not been observed to do that.
    Yes the fans are able to turn freely and make a full rotation with not problem.
    BiOD0L3
    • Total Posts : 77
    Re: EVGA GeForce RTX 2070 overheating and fans not spinning 2021/09/13 17:31:34 (permalink)
    I had the same problem on my 2070 and they warrantied the fans. It works great now!
    Cool GTX
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 30975
    • Ribbons : 122
    Re: EVGA GeForce RTX 2070 overheating and fans not spinning 2021/09/13 19:05:22 (permalink)
    you could try turning off fast boot in BIOS, make the MB look at all the hardware... its a loooong shot, but an easy test

Any errors in Device Manager ?

I was asking which card because some have a second BIOS position & you could throw the switch & boot on the 2nd BIOS

If the card was working properly & you were not loading firmware or a new BIOS on the card .......

If your not sure about using X1 software, you could try Afterburner & see what is being reported about the card with GPU-Z look under sensor tab

unfortunately it seems to be a warranty issue .. possibly the fan controller? ... because neither fan will work

Learn your way around the EVGA Forums, Rules & limits on new accounts Ultimate Self-Starter Thread For New Members

I am a Volunteer Moderator - not an EVGA employee

https://foldingathome.org -->become a citizen scientist and contribute your compute power to help fight global health threats

RTX Project EVGA X99 FTWK Nibbler EVGA X99 Classified EVGA 3080Ti FTW3 Ultra

sPotr12
    Re: EVGA GeForce RTX 2070 overheating and fans not spinning 2021/09/13 19:25:22 (permalink)
    I don't have fast boot turned on by default.
    Looking at GPU-Z shows the same results with 0 RPM despite the power being on 80% and being able to change the power yields no results, I'll go ahead and put in a warranty claim for this then.

Appreciate all the feed back,
    Cheers
    Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile