Author
Flint 1760
Omnipotent Enthusiast
  • Total Posts : 8295
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 45
2021/09/09 09:30:37 (permalink)
TechPowerUp - Microsoft Dives into the Internals of Windows 11

“Microsoft released a fairly detailed run-down of the under-the-hood changes it made to Windows 11 over its predecessor. The operating system is optimized for a zero-trust work environment. This explains making a hardware TPM 2.0 device a minimum system requirement. The company may even penalize PCs running unsupported hardware with no access to security updates.

Apps running in the foreground automatically get a higher app priority. This is particularly useful when your CPU is bogged down with a heavy workload, and you're trying to open a new app. The OS automatically rations resources to ensure the app you just launched is prioritized, making the experience snappy.

Although not mentioned by Microsoft, older reports point to Windows 11 being optimized for the new breed of hybrid CPU architectures, with awareness of ‘performance’ and ‘efficiency’ cores, so it can work with the processor to send the right kind of workload to the right kind of core.

Another key design push from Microsoft has been to improve the ‘always-on’ experience, making your PC as accessible as your phone. Windows 11 features an optimized resume-from-sleep mechanism which, with Windows 11 logo-certified PCs, features a special sequence of turning on hardware that's powered down (i.e., the CPU, storage, networking, etc.,) and preserves the application priority states as the system returns to a wake state.

Microsoft also worked to reduce the overall disk footprint of the operating system. Most in-built apps come as stubs, which are either loaded from over the web at first launch; or remain compressed. Unless accessed at least once, an in-built app never posts background activity, and doesn't line up for updates, either.

The steeper system requirements for Windows 11 has to do with the clean break to Intel 8th Gen Core and AMD Ryzen 2000 series (or later) processors. These are the first CPU microarchitectures with on-chip TPM 2.0 compatible security. The OS also requires UEFI, legacy booting using CSM is no longer supported. Also, third-party drivers to certain hardware are required to conform to the new DCH driver model. Microsoft claims with tighter control over hardware and driver models, it is able to ensure a ‘99.98% crash-free experience.’

Microsoft assures that all your Windows 10-compatible software should work seamlessly with Windows 11, as if it were a feature-update. The company set up a service called App Assist to fix compatibility problems by working with the application's developers.

The Windows Update service model will also receive an overhaul. Rather than two feature-updates (typically Spring and Fall), the company will only release one feature-update per year, typically positioned in the second half.”

Hopefully the transition from Win 10 to 11 will be trouble free, if you have updated hardware, but based on past experience, I have my doubts.

7 Replies Related Threads

transdogmifier
    CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
    • Total Posts : 6116
    • Ribbons : 17
    Re: Microsoft Dives into the Internals of Windows 11 2021/09/09 09:55:17 (permalink)
    austin86
    Last time MS made a big change in how drivers work it did not go all to well. Do they never learn from their past mistakes?

No, they don't. They push more and more control. Of you and your property.

I won't be using Win11.

AMD Ryzen 7900x3d
    Deepcool LT720
    Gigabyte Aorus Elite AX X670 (Might change..don't like this board)
    eVGA GeForce RTX 3090 FTW3 Ultra Gaming (Hybrid kit on it)
    Asus ROG Swift PG43UQ 4k Monitor
    eVGA 1600W Supernova T2 PSU
    32GB Kingston 6000 DDR5 (2x16GB) Fury
    Corsair MP600 Pro 2TB (Boot)
    Corsair MP600 2TB (Games/Data)
    Phanteks P500A Case

yodap
    CLASSIFIED Member
    • Total Posts : 4642
    • Ribbons : 8
    Re: Microsoft Dives into the Internals of Windows 11 2021/09/09 11:13:31 (permalink)
    But not so with hardware. Now they want control over your hardware so they can have outstanding crash free statistics? Don’t know what I’ll do with all my new found free time. 

rjohnson11
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 102313
    • Ribbons : 84
    Re: Microsoft Dives into the Internals of Windows 11 2021/09/10 02:51:06 (permalink)
    I guess I'll be a Guinea Pig and test Windows 11 as a fresh install when it officially releases. 

AMD Ryzen 9 7950X,  Corsair Mp700 Pro M.2, 64GB Corsair Dominator Titanium DDR5  X670E Steel Legend, MSI RTX 4090 Associate Code: H5U80QBH6BH0AXF. I am NOT an employee of EVGA

bdary
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    • Total Posts : 10337
    • Ribbons : 116
    Re: Microsoft Dives into the Internals of Windows 11 2021/09/11 09:07:33 (permalink)
    There are a few nice features mentioned in the article.  Then again, MS typically over promises and under delivers with new OS's.

XrayMan
    Insert Custom Title Here
    • Total Posts : 73000
    • Ribbons : 115
    Re: Microsoft Dives into the Internals of Windows 11 2021/09/11 18:51:30 (permalink)
    rjohnson11
    I guess I'll be a Guinea Pig and test Windows 11 as a fresh install when it officially releases. 

Let us know how it went.      

My Affiliate Code: 8WEQVXMCJL

Associate Code: VHKH33QN4W77V6A

&nbsp
    BiOD0L3
    • Total Posts : 77
    • Ribbons : 0
    Re: Microsoft Dives into the Internals of Windows 11 2021/09/13 18:44:11 (permalink)
    The EULA aside, Windows 11 is nothing more than sanctioned spyware and massive amounts of control over your hardware and software. Of course there will always be workarounds
    Cool GTX
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 31004
    • Ribbons : 122
    Re: Microsoft Dives into the Internals of Windows 11 2021/09/13 19:16:28 (permalink)

rjohnson11

let me know how it goes when you try to remove Edge as your default browser

Learn your way around the EVGA Forums, Rules & limits on new accounts Ultimate Self-Starter Thread For New Members

I am a Volunteer Moderator - not an EVGA employee

https://foldingathome.org -->become a citizen scientist and contribute your compute power to help fight global health threats

RTX Project EVGA X99 FTWK Nibbler EVGA X99 Classified EVGA 3080Ti FTW3 Ultra

Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile