Z20 with modded O-Rings thoughts

Author
Hoggle
EVGA Forum Moderator
  • Total Posts : 10101
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 4
2021/09/08 23:02:37 (permalink)
My girlfriend liked her clicky Z20 keyboard so much that she decided she wanted to use a Z20 at work now that she is goin back from working at home. The keyboards they use are mostly just basic cheap ones that come with the systems with some basic Microsoft ergonomic options for those who want them. She got the ok from IT to bring her own and I got her the liner model of the Z20 and then ordered the O-Rings and removed all the keys to put an O-Ring on the bottom of it.

My first thought was the normal liner keyboard is pretty good for limiting noise on its own compared to the clicky. So first off I would start off with seeing how that works for you. I would say that you really don’t notice the sound of the key bottoming out nearly as much though and it seems perfectly reasonable for office use without worrying coworkers. It still makes noise if I really try but it’s pretty quiet if I am just typing on it. The real other thing I noticed is the key cap no longer is a firm hard stop but has some bounce as the silicone cushions the bottoming out of the keycap and acts like a shock absorber. The final thing I noticed was the key didn’t travel as far down to bottom out because the silicon ring on the key cap changed how far down the key can travel.

Overall the price of O-Rings wasn’t that much and the biggest thing was pulling the keys off to install them. After that I liked the modification but it really was something I went in to thinking it was mostly for noise reduction. Now I am kind of thinking I might get some for my Z20 clicky keyboards since I did enjoy the feeling of having them at the bottom of a key press and the reduction in depth of the press would be nice while gaming.

Use an Associates Code & SAVE 5% - 10% on your purchase. Just click on the associates banner to save, or enter the associates code at checkout on your next purchase. If you choose to use my code I want to personally say "Thank You" for using it. 

3 Replies Related Threads

redrek43
    Superclocked Member
    • Total Posts : 101
    • Ribbons : 0
    Re: Z20 with modded O-Rings thoughts 2021/09/23 07:56:44 (permalink)
    I'll probably give this a try as well.
    transdogmifier
    CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
    • Total Posts : 6116
    • Ribbons : 17
    Re: Z20 with modded O-Rings thoughts 2021/09/23 08:12:08 (permalink)
    An interesting idea, Hoggle...I don't have a z20...but I might consider this if I get one.

Can you give a link to the o-rings?

AMD Ryzen 7900x3d
    Deepcool LT720
    Gigabyte Aorus Elite AX X670 (Might change..don't like this board)
    eVGA GeForce RTX 3090 FTW3 Ultra Gaming (Hybrid kit on it)
    Asus ROG Swift PG43UQ 4k Monitor
    eVGA 1600W Supernova T2 PSU
    32GB Kingston 6000 DDR5 (2x16GB) Fury
    Corsair MP600 Pro 2TB (Boot)
    Corsair MP600 2TB (Games/Data)
    Phanteks P500A Case

Nereus
    Captain Goodvibes
    • Total Posts : 18916
    • Ribbons : 58
    Re: Z20 with modded O-Rings thoughts 2021/10/21 17:00:53 (permalink)

BUILD 1 2   |   MINI-ITX BUILD   |   MODSRIGS $1K WIN   |   HEATWARE 111-0-0   |   ASSOCIATE CODE CSKKXUT5Q9GVAFR

Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile