No Audio - No Joy

Author
Winterfellow
Superclocked Member
  • Total Posts : 156
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 0
2021/08/25 20:13:54 (permalink)
I've got an audio problem with my new build. Hopefully just something I'm overlooking...

I've tried Headphones (via a splitter since they come with a combo mic/audio plug) in both the external and rear panels. I've also tried speakers plugged into both jacks... No joy. Both the headphones and speakers work on my Mac. But no sound on the PC.

I followed the self test and replaced the audio drivers. I also checked the BIOS, the motherboard's on-board audio was enabled.

My second monitor arrived today. It has a speaker jack. I've used that to allow sound through the GPU. I still need to work out the issue with the mobo but this will work as I figure out the real problem.

Any suggestions?

Thanks, Winterfellow

CPU - AMD Ryzen 5900x
Motherboard - MSI MAG X570 Tomahawk WIFI
Case - Lian Li O11 Dynamic Mini Snow White
PSU - Cooler Master V850 SFX Gold
GPU - SAPPHIRE Radeon RX 550 (temp, till better days)
RAM - G.SKILL Trident Z Neo 2x16GB DDR4 3600MHz
M.2 Drive - Samsung (MZ-V8V1T0B/AM) 980 SSD 1TB - M.2 NVMe
AIO Cooler - ID-COOLING Iceflow 240, Snow, RGB
Case Fans - ID-COOLING XF-12025-ARGB-TRIO 120mm Snow, 6 fans
Primary Monitor - LG 27UL500-W 27-Inch UHD (3840 x 2160) IPS
Speakers - harman/kardon HK206

6 Replies Related Threads

Winterfellow
    Superclocked Member
    Re: No Audio - No Joy 2021/08/26 12:08:16 (permalink)
    Much Progress made...

I upgraded the BIOS via MSI's Dragon Center software.  It seems to have taken care of the issue with using the audio ports on the motherboard.

First time to do something like this.  All went smoothly, however I was not comfortable doing the operation.  (It was an alien experience for this Mac guy).  Every time I successfully accomplish some
    thing like this, I feel a little less intimated by the Wacky World of Windows.
    KenMcC
    CLASSIFIED Member
    • Total Posts : 3329
    • Ribbons : 21
    Re: No Audio - No Joy 2021/08/26 14:28:55 (permalink)
    Is this a new build with only the default sound driver? 

KenMcC
    Z170 Classy K; i7-6700 CPU,
    Corsair CMK16GX4M2A2400C14
    Seasonic SSR-360GP 360W;
    Samsung 950 Pro M.2 256 GB 
    Samsung 850 Evo 500 GB SATA
    Samsung 850 Evo 256 GB SATA
    Samsung SSD 840 Series 250 GB SATA

Samsung 860 EVO 1 TB SATA
    Windows 10 x64 Prof.  
    disturbedfuel15
    • Total Posts : 43
    • Ribbons : 1
    Re: No Audio - No Joy 2021/08/26 15:48:37 (permalink)
    Winterfellow
    Much Progress made...

I upgraded the BIOS via MSI's Dragon Center software.  It seems to have taken care of the issue with using the audio ports on the motherboard.

First time to do something like this.  All went smoothly, however I was not comfortable doing the operation.  (It was an alien experience for this Mac guy).  Every time I successfully accomplish some

My friend, if you are used to linux, I can feel your pain.  Make sure you go to the motherboard's page and install all drivers.  You'll be in a world of hurt without doing that.  
    msi.com/Motherboard/support/MAG-X570-TOMAHAWK-WIFI#down-driver&Win10%2064

☜☜ Buy Stuff!
    ...and/or...
    ☜☜ Win Stuff! 
    Winterfellow
    Superclocked Member
    Re: No Audio - No Joy 2021/08/28 09:26:54 (permalink)
    KenMcC
    Is this a new build with only the default sound driver? 

Yes

While I am now able to use the jack in the back of the mobo, the external headphone jack is still not working.
    Winterfellow
    Superclocked Member
    Re: No Audio - No Joy 2021/08/28 09:34:21 (permalink)
    disturbedfuel15
    Winterfellow
    Much Progress made...

My friend, if you are used to linux, I can feel your pain.  Make sure you go to the motherboard's page and install all drivers.  You'll be in a world of hurt without doing that.  
    msi.com/Motherboard/support/MAG-X570-TOMAHAWK-WIFI#down-driver&Win10%2064

Never touched Linux, so no experience there.  I come from the world of Macs, where problems are less frequent (because of lack of options). I did download/install all of the drivers I could find, I was slow to flash the BIOS because it was not something I had any experience with.  However, when it looked like it was a possible cause, I found the courage to pull the leaver.

I updated the bios to the last stable version, but stayed away from anything beta.

KenMcC
    CLASSIFIED Member
    • Total Posts : 3329
    • Ribbons : 21
    Re: No Audio - No Joy 2021/08/28 12:42:22 (permalink)
    The following might be of some help.  It was for older MoBs.  If you still have problems you might want to give this a try.  I.E. Maybe audio out put thru the monitor should not be last?  I played with this years ago, your mileage may vary, good luck 

Read NOTEs at bottom before you start.
    If you Installed and reinstalled device drivers, it’s possibly not working just like you expected or has an unknown quirk. Then you may want to check and see if your old drivers actually got removed. Device manager will not show them.
    To check and see if you have extra drivers from re-installs present on your hardware; you must set a flag for device manager from the cmd box. In the Start Menu, click on "All Programs" and then "Accessories". Now right click on the Command Prompt and click on Run as administrator. Now type in this
    FLAG/CMD:(do not type the FLAG/CMD:) “set devmgr_show_nonpresent_devices=1” (no quotes)
    Next type ”devmgmt.msc “ (as administrator)
    Once you are in Device Manager, go to the "View" menu, select “Show Hidden Devices”. This will show all the device drivers including things that aren’t currently installed in your computer.
    You can right-click on the driver and then choose Uninstall from the menu to remove the drivers for that old hardware.
    This procedure can resolve a lot of weird issues, and even increase performance on some machines where you’ve upgraded drivers a ton of times.
    NOTE: the grayed out drivers may OR may Not still be needed. Before deleteing make sure they are not for some devices (like USBs or some parts of media player).
    Note: For audio problems; the last driver should be for your motherboad audio listed in device mgr. Also, if you have more audio devices, as Logitec microphone etc.. they will be shown as well and should not be the last driver listed.

KenMcC
    Z170 Classy K; i7-6700 CPU,
    Corsair CMK16GX4M2A2400C14
    Seasonic SSR-360GP 360W;
    Samsung 950 Pro M.2 256 GB 
    Samsung 850 Evo 500 GB SATA
    Samsung 850 Evo 256 GB SATA
    Samsung SSD 840 Series 250 GB SATA

Samsung 860 EVO 1 TB SATA
    Windows 10 x64 Prof.  
    Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile