Thisiswar88
Superclocked Member
  • Total Posts : 139
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 0
2021/08/20 12:45:57 (permalink)
Hey evga peeps,

link here to the video showing the issue - https://streamable.com/00khkv

so I've not long recieved this 1080 as an rma replacement loving the card, soooo good. Anyway bought myself a gsync compatible monitor, 165hz. and I've noticed when starting windows I get this strange green flickering atrifact that lasts a second once im in windows itself, that's the only time it does it. Now I read online it could possibly be memory, to try and downclock it, which I did and everytime I down clock the memory you can see this flashing artifact but games are running completely fine.

I decided to turn of adaptive vsync completely off in both nvidia control panel and on the monitor, tried downclocking the memory again and the same thing was happening, so I lowered to 120hz and it's now gone? 

I have noticed at 165hz though, that my core clock is higher than my last 144hz monitor, used to always downclock to around 200/300mhz, but at 165hz it's up at 1300mhz on the core. 

I don't know if this is a driver issues, the 1080 not liken the 165hz or it's the 1080's memory? any help would be much appreciated. I just hope it isn't the card because i've not long had it and loving it. I was having issues with the first monitor I bought which was a va panel with freesync on i was getting weird brightness flashing (known issue with va panels) which was related to the monitor but again with that monitor at 165hz i was getting the exact same issue as this new one.

ryzen 3600 @4.4ghz 1.27v, evga 1080 SC, Msi x570 gaming pro, 16gb ddr4 3200mhz corsair Vengeance, arctic freezer 34 cooler,  Corsair CXF Series 750w psu , msi 110r case

9 Replies Related Threads

rjohnson11
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 102262
    • Ribbons : 84
    Re: weird issue at 165hz 2021/08/20 13:11:37 (permalink)
    Are you connected via DP cable or HDMI? Is your cable certified?

AMD Ryzen 9 7950X,  Corsair Mp700 Pro M.2, 64GB Corsair Dominator Titanium DDR5  X670E Steel Legend, MSI RTX 4090 Associate Code: H5U80QBH6BH0AXF. I am NOT an employee of EVGA

Thisiswar88
    Superclocked Member
    Re: weird issue at 165hz 2021/08/20 14:43:58 (permalink)
    connected with a dp cable, i'm using the dp cable that came with the monitor so i'm assuming it would be certified?

ryzen 3600 @4.4ghz 1.27v, evga 1080 SC, Msi x570 gaming pro, 16gb ddr4 3200mhz corsair Vengeance, arctic freezer 34 cooler,  Corsair CXF Series 750w psu , msi 110r case
    CleanteamofNY
    • Total Posts : 1
    Re: weird issue at 165hz 2021/08/20 15:38:37 (permalink)
    You may want to uninstall the GPU Driver and do a clean install. It may be corrupt.
    And do the same with MSI Afterburner.
    HeavyHemi
    Insert Custom Title Here
    • Total Posts : 15665
    • Ribbons : 135
    Re: weird issue at 165hz 2021/08/20 17:09:49 (permalink)
    Thisiswar88
    Hey evga peeps,

so I've not long recieved this 1080 as an rma replacement loving the card, soooo good. Anyway bought myself a gsync compatible monitor, 165hz. and I've noticed when starting windows I get this strange green flickering atrifact that lasts a second once im in windows itself, that's the only time it does it. Now I read online it could possibly be memory, to try and downclock it, which I did and everytime I down clock the memory you can see this flashing artifact but games are running completely fine.

I decided to turn of adaptive vsync completely off in both nvidia control panel and on the monitor, tried downclocking the memory again and the same thing was happening, so I lowered to 120hz and it's now gone? 

I have noticed at 165hz though, that my core clock is higher than my last 144hz monitor, used to always downclock to around 200/300mhz, but at 165hz it's up at 1300mhz on the core. 

I don't know if this is a driver issues, the 1080 not liken the 165hz or it's the 1080's memory? any help would be much appreciated. I just hope it isn't the card because i've not long had it and loving it. I was having issues with the first monitor I bought which was a va panel with freesync on i was getting weird brightness flashing (known issue with va panels) which was related to the monitor but again with that monitor at 165hz i was getting the exact same issue as this new one.

This is the driver changing your desktop refresh rate and resolution as Windows loads. Completely normal.  It's not uncommon for high refresh rate monitors to run at higher clocks. It's related to:

GPU Runs at a High Performance Level in Multi-display
    Modes
    This is a hardware limitation with desktop and older notebook GPUs, and not a software bug.
    When multiple displays are connected and active, the GPU will always operate with full clock
    speeds in order to efficiently drive multiple displays–even when no 3D programs are running

EVGA X99 FTWK / i7 6850K @ 4.5ghz / RTX 3080Ti FTW Ultra / 32GB Corsair LPX 3600mhz / Samsung 850Pro 256GB / Be Quiet BN516 Straight Power 12-1000w 80 Plus Platinum / Window 10 Pro

wmmills
    CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
    • Total Posts : 5679
    • Ribbons : 40
    Re: weird issue at 165hz 2021/08/21 00:35:35 (permalink)
    HeavyHemi
    Thisiswar88
    Hey evga peeps,

This is the driver changing your desktop refresh rate and resolution as Windows loads. Completely normal.  It's not uncommon for high refresh rate monitors to run at higher clocks. It's related to:

Modes
    This is a hardware limitation with desktop and older notebook GPUs, and not a software bug.
    When multiple displays are connected and active, the GPU will always operate with full clock
    speeds in order to efficiently drive multiple displays–even when no 3D programs are running

+1.... If you could tell us what monitors your running by make and model number and how you set your windows O/S power options and your nvidia control center global settings that would help some. Did you try setting the max frame rate in the NCC global settings to 162? Is geforce experience installed?

MOBO: EVGA x299 Dark, CPU: I9 10900X, RAM: Patriot Viper RGB 3600 32gb, SSD: Samsung 860 EVO 1TB, M2: Samsung 970 EVO+ 1TB, PSU: CoolerMaster M2 1500, CPU HSF: EVGA 240 CLC HSF~ P/P EK Furious Vardar, G-CARD:EVGA RTX3090 FTW3 Ultra Gaming w/Hybrid kit and Noctua IPPC 3000 P/P, CASE: LIAN-LI PC-V2010B w/ Window mod, OS: Windows 10 Pro 64bit, MON: Alienware AW3821DW

New EVGA product? Register it NOW with this link:
    http://www.evga.com/register/default.asp?affiliatecode=4QFQRAMOII
     Help Our Vets From K-2!
    [link=https://strongholdfreedom
    Thisiswar88
    Superclocked Member
    Re: weird issue at 165hz 2021/08/21 01:52:28 (permalink)
    CleanteamofNY
    You may want to uninstall the GPU Driver and do a clean install. It may be corrupt.

i've just done a fresh install using DDU in safe mode and done a clean install of msi afterburner and same thing. there wasn't any of that artifacting before msi burner was installed so im guessing it's that.

wmmills
    HeavyHemi
    Thisiswar88
    Hey evga peeps,

Modes

+1.... If you could tell us what monitors your running by make and model number and how you set your windows O/S power options and your nvidia control center global settings that would help some. Did you try setting the max frame rate in the NCC global settings to 162? Is geforce experience installed?

only got one monitor running, im using the msi Optix G273QF 27 inch 165Hz, G-Sync. 
    i have the bare minimum running in my windows, haven't got geforce installed, power settings in windows itself is balanced, with cpu minimum usage set to 1%, nvidia control panel power is set to optimal. I haven't tried the max frame rate in nvidia control panel yet, i do set vsync on in nvidia control panel though.

HeavyHemi
    Insert Custom Title Here
    Re: weird issue at 165hz 2021/08/21 15:34:28 (permalink)
    Thisiswar88
    CleanteamofNY

i've just done a fresh install using DDU in safe mode and done a clean install of msi afterburner and same thing. there wasn't any of that artifacting before msi burner was installed so im guessing it's that.

wmmills
    HeavyHemi
    Thisiswar88
    Hey evga peeps,

Modes

only got one monitor running, im using the msi Optix G273QF 27 inch 165Hz, G-Sync. 
    i have the bare minimum running in my windows, haven't got geforce installed, power settings in windows itself is balanced, with cpu minimum usage set to 1%, nvidia control panel power is set to optimal. I haven't tried the max frame rate in nvidia control panel yet, i do set vsync on in nvidia control panel though.

If I boot my desktop at 1080p, I don't get a green kinda static flash bar as Windows loads. When I run at 4K, I do.
    It's just a system change the display doesn't handle quite as gracefully.
    post edited by HeavyHemi - 2021/08/21 15:35:46

EVGA X99 FTWK / i7 6850K @ 4.5ghz / RTX 3080Ti FTW Ultra / 32GB Corsair LPX 3600mhz / Samsung 850Pro 256GB / Be Quiet BN516 Straight Power 12-1000w 80 Plus Platinum / Window 10 Pro

Thisiswar88
    Superclocked Member
    Re: weird issue at 165hz 2021/08/24 14:47:26 (permalink)
    so after a few days of looking around on google and also tinkering with the pc when I had the chance, setting the monitor to 120hz in windows solved the issue. it seems like anything above 144hz just boosts the clocks high causing pretty high idle temps and the artifacting has disappeared completely now. having highest available refresh rate in nvidia control panel gives me the 165hz in games so it's a win win. idle clocks now are around 200mhz with a 28c idle temp where it normally is, before clocks were at 1700mhz with 37/38c idle temp.
    post edited by Thisiswar88 - 2021/08/24 14:49:00

HeavyHemi
    Insert Custom Title Here
    Re: weird issue at 165hz 2021/08/24 14:53:44 (permalink)
    Thisiswar88
    so after a few days of looking around on google and also tinkering with the pc when I had the chance, setting the monitor to 120hz in windows solved the issue. it seems like anything above 144hz just boosts the clocks high causing pretty high idle temps and the artifacting has disappeared completely now. having highest available refresh rate in nvidia control panel gives me the 165hz in games so it's a win win. idle clocks now are around 200mhz with a 28c idle temp where it normally is, before clocks were at 1700mhz with 37/38c idle temp.

Yup. If you search around, that is a common suggestion. Set your desktop to 120hz. That does not prevent you from running games at a higher refresh rate using the game settings.
    My ancient Samsung JU7100 only does 60hz at 4K. It does it well, but man I'd sure like 120hz at 4k.
    post edited by HeavyHemi - 2021/08/24 14:55:12

Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile