UK custom charges applied for RMA, proforma invoice blamed by UK customs

Author
Audioboxer
Superclocked Member
  • Total Posts : 190
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 0
2021/08/16 11:06:30 (permalink)
Hi everyone, posting this topic just to archive another case of UK customs putting a charge on an RMA and my journey to hopefully claiming back the charge via this form https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/978896/BOR286_-_English.pdf

As I was RMAing a 2080Ti I believe my charge will be around this amount https://forums.evga.com/UK-Customs-Charges-For-RMA-18269-m3442465.aspx I was made aware today I have charges to pay but will need to wait another day or so for final bill.

I phoned Parcelforce there and it was explained to me the issue will be the proforma invoices EVGA are attaching to the packages. UK customs is not accepting them as a final invoice and simply charging a fee based on the value of the package listed. Unless EVGA were to change the way they print an invoice and it shows no repair charges were levied, all RMAs into the UK are near guaranteed to get hit with customs as if the package is a new purchase instead of an exchange.

Not making this topic to blame EVGA, this is the fault of Brexit, but it's still good feedback for EVGA Europe that if they can tweak the way they do invoices for parcels going to the UK, it might avoid receivers in the UK having to pay up then chase back fees.

As for the BOR286 form, I was advised to send a copy of my initial purchase invoice for the card, correspondence from EVGA about an RMA being accepted and then just what the form asks for. I've got my Amazon invoice (shows initial VAT paid on card), I've printed my ticket log with EVGA and I have an email from EVGA about my RMA being accepted. Will follow up with my results from sending this BOR286 form away.
post edited by Audioboxer - 2021/08/16 11:08:56

11 Replies Related Threads

MartinUK
    • Total Posts : 75
    • Ribbons : 2
    Re: UK custom charges applied for RMA, proforma invoice blamed by UK customs 2021/08/16 17:05:50 (permalink)
    I'm interested to hear how you get on, hope it works out, and hope I never have to go through sending an RMA to Germany again myself.

It was a sad day for UK EVGA users when they closed the UK RMA centre :/
    post edited by MartinUK - 2021/08/16 17:23:35
    random_matt
    CLASSIFIED Member
    • Total Posts : 2040
    Re: UK custom charges applied for RMA, proforma invoice blamed by UK customs 2021/08/16 21:43:25 (permalink)
    Not a Brexit issue. Amazon don't have a problem etc.

Corsair 5000D Airflow | EVGA 1000 G6 | EVGA X570 FTW | Ryzen 5800X | EVGA 360 CLC | Corsair 4000MHz 32GB|
    Corsair MP600 2TB | EVGA 3080 Ti FTW Hybrid | Alienware AW2721D | Windows 11

Audioboxer
    Superclocked Member
    Re: UK custom charges applied for RMA, proforma invoice blamed by UK customs 2021/08/17 01:18:27 (permalink)
    random_matt
    Not a Brexit issue. Amazon don't have a problem etc.

Amazon tend to bring in products to their UK warehouses and deliver from there. Now when you buy from Amazon EU via Amazon UK customs costs get added on top in checkout. When it comes to returns with Amazon they take the products back and then either refund or they send you out a brand new product, again, from a UK warehouse.

The issue here is direct import from Germany and UK customs not being happy with the proforma invoice that EVGA are using. My understanding is a proforma invoice implies "estimate", and this is resulting in customs saying its not a final invoice so we don't accept it as proof no fee has been paid for repair/replacement.

I guess I'll accept the invoice is EVGAs "fault", but Brexit is the reason this nonsense is kicking off. Prior to Brexit these RMAs would pass through no bother. I mean I hope for all us UK customers EVGA can change their invoices, but it's obviously something they can send to other countries across Europe no problem and therefore the business would see the UK as the issue.

My package has now been released from customs with a final "revised customs raised", so I assume my letter is on the way. I'm going to phone parcelforce again today though and see if I can pay early and get it released quicker. Been weeks now my PC has been out of action.
    post edited by Audioboxer - 2021/08/17 01:21:57
    Audioboxer
    Superclocked Member
    Re: UK custom charges applied for RMA, proforma invoice blamed by UK customs 2021/08/17 03:30:42 (permalink)
    £182.69 was my charge, exact same as this poster with a 2080Ti RMA https://forums.evga.com/U...MA-18269-m3442465.aspx
    random_matt
    CLASSIFIED Member
    • Total Posts : 2040
    Re: UK custom charges applied for RMA, proforma invoice blamed by UK customs 2021/08/17 07:37:49 (permalink)
    Audioboxer
    £182.69 was my charge, exact same as this poster with a 2080Ti RMA https://forums.evga.com/U...MA-18269-m3442465.aspx

If people want to go with the hassle of EVGA then they can, producing incorrect paper work is hilarious. Not being able to return via the retailer unlike every other manufacturer is also hilarious. I'll just buy other brands, not like they give a about the EU anyway.
    post edited by the_Scarlet_one - 2021/08/18 06:54:15

Corsair 5000D Airflow | EVGA 1000 G6 | EVGA X570 FTW | Ryzen 5800X | EVGA 360 CLC | Corsair 4000MHz 32GB|
    Corsair MP600 2TB | EVGA 3080 Ti FTW Hybrid | Alienware AW2721D | Windows 11

MartinUK
    Re: UK custom charges applied for RMA, proforma invoice blamed by UK customs 2021/08/17 09:08:13 (permalink)
    Audioboxer

That's pretty terrible, especially since its just down to some wording on a document. EVGA EU have had since the start of the year to figure out how to get this right. Some issues were understandable in the first few months, but not now.

Would be nice to know that EVGA are aware of this and would look to do something about it. Maybe you could try pm'ing @EVGATech_MarkusK with a link to the thread, he's one of the heads of EVGA EU I believe.

Best of luck getting your money back.
    Audioboxer
    Superclocked Member
    Re: UK custom charges applied for RMA, proforma invoice blamed by UK customs 2021/08/17 09:47:35 (permalink)
    MartinUK
    Audioboxer

That's pretty terrible, especially since its just down to some wording on a document. EVGA EU have had since the start of the year to figure out how to get this right. Some issues were understandable in the first few months, but not now.

Would be nice to know that EVGA are aware of this and would look to do something about it. Maybe you could try pm'ing @EVGATech_MarkusK with a link to the thread, he's one of the heads of EVGA EU I believe.

Best of luck getting your money back.

Thanks, once the package is delivered tomorrow I'll send another ticket over to customer service to advise what the invoice on the package says and why the UK customs deem it unsuitable. It seems to me like its something EVGA could change but you know how these procedural things are. If this is the kind of invoice they use for sending all over the world a business is likely just to say it works everywhere but the UK, not our fault.
    Audioboxer
    Superclocked Member
    Re: UK custom charges applied for RMA, proforma invoice blamed by UK customs 2021/08/18 06:50:39 (permalink)
    Received my package, before I rebuild my computer just want to say EVGA make it very clear that it's a return to manufacturer order and the invoices included also make this clear.

My charge breaks down as follows

VAT £170.69 and parcelforce handling fee £12.

I want to say at this point I would not blame EVGA, this is UK customs not reading and not having a clue what they're doing. Thinking on it I'd go as far to say they hope people don't dispute the VAT charge and they make out like bandits for hundreds of pounds.

Parcelforce blamed it on the proforma invoice but the customs declaration CN23 form from EVGA also states warranty/RMA. They can't write 0 value on the CN23 form as that would be lying and if the parcel went missing their insurance wouldn't pay out. Of course a repaired graphics card has value! But it's not a new purchase so VAT is not applicable.

Will send my complaint to customs tomorrow and update everyone if I get my money back.

Thank you for the painless RMA EVGA, 2 days and the card was on its way back to me.
    post edited by Audioboxer - 2021/08/18 07:45:58
    MartinUK
    Re: UK custom charges applied for RMA, proforma invoice blamed by UK customs 2021/08/18 09:25:53 (permalink)
    Interesting turn of events, could just be a case of you getting the wrong customs agent on the wrong day, but it would be a very big coincidence consider another poster had the exact same issue.

You know a lot more about this situation than I do, and I expect more than most, so the details you are giving here could be invaluable to others in the same situation, thanks for sharing.
    Audioboxer
    Superclocked Member
    Re: UK custom charges applied for RMA, proforma invoice blamed by UK customs 2021/08/19 03:47:10 (permalink)
    MartinUK
    Interesting turn of events, could just be a case of you getting the wrong customs agent on the wrong day, but it would be a very big coincidence consider another poster had the exact same issue.

You know a lot more about this situation than I do, and I expect more than most, so the details you are giving here could be invaluable to others in the same situation, thanks for sharing.

Yeah I doubt it will just be a few of us, UK border control is clearly not properly taking the time to look at these EVGA warranty deliveries and just quickly slapping VAT charges on them based on the declared value. I'm pretty confident I'll get the charges back, I've sent away my BOR286 form this morning.

Inside was the evidence the BOR286 form specifically asks for but I also included my original Amazon invoice, the same one I uploaded to EVGA to prove I was the owner of the card. I printed a few pages of my support chat logs with EVGA that shows them state my card is faulty and needs an RMA. Finally, I printed off two emails I received from EVGA, the first, confirmation my RMA had been delivered. The second, the confirmation my RMA was accepted and had now been shipped back.

The last touch was a covering letter, the BOR286 form gives you a few lines to state why you think you have been incorrectly charged, but I also quickly typed up a 1 page letter addressed to the Border Force stating why the charge is incorrect and confirming the evidence I had sent to support my case. The other poster on this form who contacted Border Force has now been waiting 2 weeks, so I guess this is going to be 3~4+ weeks before we hear back...

So to recap, UK people, send your cards to EVGA via UPS using the proforma invoice EVGA customer support can provide you. It'll cost about £25, but it 100% gets to them with no customs nonsense or charges. But on the way back into the UK be prepared to get hit with VAT charges and need to fight with UK Border Force to refund you. If EVGA sent by UPS or something we'd probably be ok, but using German Postal service (DHL) is resulting in the hand off being done by Parcelforce in the UK and due to Brexit the UK clearly has no idea what it is doing with RMAs.

In positive news throughout this messy process EVGA customer service were great, my RMA was handled within 2 days and I received a 2080Ti back that can actually boost a bit higher than my last one so better performance. Small win. I'm in the 3080 step up queue so I've got that fun to look to next lol. Hopefully not going to be another £180+ charge to chase.
    Audioboxer
    Superclocked Member
    Re: UK custom charges applied for RMA, proforma invoice blamed by UK customs 2021/10/09 08:48:11 (permalink)
    Got my refund for £170.69 confirmed today by the Border Force. Out of £12 for the handling charge.

They're blaming EVGA saying the electronic customs declaration submitted by EVGA did not march that on the CN22/23 customs declaration affixed to the parcel. Going to forward a scan of the letter onto EVGA customer service.
    Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile