EVGA

Answered3090 RMA cancelled due to missing thermal pads that are there in the picture?

Author
oninaig
  • Total Posts : 41
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 0
2021/08/14 06:40:16 (permalink)
I just received an email saying my 3090 RMA was cancelled:

"Your EVGA graphics card is unable to be processed for warranty service as it arrived with factory thermal pads switched out and missing bracket and has resulted in damage to the product from improper operation and maintenance not covered under EVGA's warranty."

2 things:

1.) The thermal pads were never switched out, I have no idea what they are talking about. The image they provided was this: https://i.imgur.com/R84DyNe.jpeg.
Those thermal pads in the image are exactly the same ones that came with the card. I had removed the backplate one time to install the hybrid kit for the 3090 as per evga's own instructions. If they are referring to the sections of the thermal pads that are "torn" then they need to look at the other half of the card (where this attaches to) and see if they ripped them when they removed the backplate, I guarantee you they are there.

2.) I have no idea what bracket they are talking about? They never clarified in the email.

Because this was sent to me on a Friday, I have no way of contacting them and stopping them before they send me my card back to me. This is unacceptable to me and I have no idea how to proceed. Not sure if I should call my bank regarding the hold for the collateral or call evga and hope someone is able to stop the card from being shipped back to me.
 post edited by oninaig - 6 minutes ago
the_Scarlet_one
formerly Scarlet-tech
  • Total Posts : 24581
  • Ribbons : 79
Re: 3090 RMA cancelled due to missing thermal pads that are there in the picture? 2021/08/14 07:00:32 (permalink)
They don’t ship the card immediately upon inspecting it, so you should still be able to get ahold of them.

Where are you located?

Was this the only picture they sent?
oninaig
Re: 3090 RMA cancelled due to missing thermal pads that are there in the picture? 2021/08/14 07:18:36 (permalink)
the_Scarlet_one
They don’t ship the card immediately upon inspecting it, so you should still be able to get ahold of them.

Where are you located?

Was this the only picture they sent?

I am in Maryland.

The only other pictures sent that reference the thermal pads were here:

https://i.imgur.com/ppJceE4.jpeg

The arrows point to where the thermal pads are "missing" but they are "missing" because the hyrbid kit comes with its own pads and the instructions tell you to remove the existing ones:

https://i.imgur.com/XTIIG3a.png

Because the hybrid kit has its own thermal pads in the same areas as seen here:

https://i.imgur.com/AhoyQj2.png

When I removed the backplate the thermal pads on the air cooler (pic with the arrows above), most of the thermal putty stuck to the actual memory modules and not to the heatsink, and I was unable to cleanly get the pads/putty off of the memory modules surrounding the chip itself. I believe they are referring to the pads that would cover the sections pointed out here: https://i.imgur.com/EcgD1ap.png

When I RMA'd the card they informed me that I would have to remove the hybrid kit and reinstall the original air cooler, but that presents a problem in that now the air cooler has zero thermal putty on those modules since it was removed as part of EVGA's own instructions for the hybrid kit. I informed support staff of this and they told me to just send the card back and it was fine. Not wanting to send the card back with nothing protecting the areas surrounded with red boxes in evga's hybrid instructions, I added thermal putty to those areas before sending it back.

post edited by oninaig - 2021/08/14 07:27:51
arestavo
CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
  • Total Posts : 6916
  • Ribbons : 76
Re: 3090 RMA cancelled due to missing thermal pads that are there in the picture? 2021/08/14 07:25:22 (permalink)
Them telling you to put it back without pad replacements- was that in an email or over the phone? If email, CC it to them.

I've got a feeling that this is a case of the left hand not communicating with the right, and that EVGA will make it right. Hopefully (I've got a 3090 FTW3 with a hybrid kit installed as well).
oninaig
Re: 3090 RMA cancelled due to missing thermal pads that are there in the picture? 2021/08/14 07:29:18 (permalink)
I explained the thermal pads situation over the phone with them and I also requested additional pads which they sent me in case it happened again with the replacement card, so I actually have thermal pads in-route to me from them for this issue.

I feel like whoever processed the RMA does not know that I installed the hyrbid kit and thinks I just opened the card and scraped off the thermal pads and tried to just use it like that....
the_Scarlet_one
formerly Scarlet-tech
  • Total Posts : 24581
  • Ribbons : 79
Re: 3090 RMA cancelled due to missing thermal pads that are there in the picture? 2021/08/14 07:51:15 (permalink)
  I am going to forward this to EVGA and hopefully they can get back with you a little bit quicker.
EVGA_RMA_JaysonC
RMA Management
  • Total Posts : 1461
  • Ribbons : 3
Re: 3090 RMA cancelled due to missing thermal pads that are there in the picture? 2021/08/14 08:38:31 (permalink)
Hi There Oninaig,

Our team received your graphics card with what appears to be thermal paste along side torn thermal pads and missing the primary mounting support bracket. 

Keep in mind when you send products in for warranty they need to be in factory condition.  Any mods need to be reversed and all parts of the product need to be included.  If this is not done, then the RMA process may be put on hold or a service fee may be assessed for the restoration.  When you receive your RMA approval information, this is directly in the content of the email.

Looking at the product, the GPU side of the PCB arrived like this - https://imgur.com/1hcD7lH.  When our team sees product arrive like this the process is held.  We are unsure if there are broken components, cut traces, re-soldering, cracked GPUs and etc.  We've seen quite a bit of things with modifications.  Sometimes users don't know how to install aftermarket solutions.  I am not saying this is the case here however we need to be thorough and when something looks off, we need to call it and evaluate.   The mounting bracket also is missing.  Not sure if you took it off for any particular reason but it should be installed and included with the return especially when claiming warranty.

Taking a deeper look in to the reasons for your warranty submission, I see you were having an array of issues with the product's performance.  I will take a look a further inspect the product directly on Monday.  If there are no damages to the PCB or its components once cleaned up, we will process it in and complete your RMA.  

I will follow up with you on Monday.

We are always here to help and you are welcome to reach out to me directly as well if you have any questions about your RMA.

Best Regards,

-Jayson- EVGA USA RMA Dept.
Reddit/Twitter - u/EVGA_JaysonC   @evga_jaysonc 

oninaig
Re: 3090 RMA cancelled due to missing thermal pads that are there in the picture? 2021/08/14 09:19:02 (permalink)
EVGA_RMA_JaysonC
Hi There Oninaig,

Our team received your graphics card with what appears to be thermal paste along side torn thermal pads and missing the primary mounting support bracket. 

Keep in mind when you send products in for warranty they need to be in factory condition.  Any mods need to be reversed and all parts of the product need to be included.  If this is not done, then the RMA process may be put on hold or a service fee may be assessed for the restoration.  When you receive your RMA approval information, this is directly in the content of the email.

Looking at the product, the GPU side of the PCB arrived like this - https://imgur.com/1hcD7lH.  When our team sees product arrive like this the process is held.  We are unsure if there are broken components, cut traces, re-soldering, cracked GPUs and etc.  We've seen quite a bit of things with modifications.  Sometimes users don't know how to install aftermarket solutions.  I am not saying this is the case here however we need to be thorough and when something looks off, we need to call it and evaluate.   The mounting bracket also is missing.  Not sure if you took it off for any particular reason but it should be installed and included with the return especially when claiming warranty.

Taking a deeper look in to the reasons for your warranty submission, I see you were having an array of issues with the product's performance.  I will take a look a further inspect the product directly on Monday.  If there are no damages to the PCB or its components once cleaned up, we will process it in and complete your RMA.  

I will follow up with you on Monday.

We are always here to help and you are welcome to reach out to me directly as well if you have any questions about your RMA.

Best Regards,

The picture you posted is the section that had the thermal putty removed per the instructions here: https://i.imgur.com/XTIIG3a.png

However, since I had to RMA it I had to reinstall the air cooler which now means theres zero thermal putty on those spots. I was worried whoever received the card would try to run it with zero compound so I wanted to put something on it so I added new thermal paste (this one https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01C5XWF2U/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1) just in case whoever processed the RMA did not check to see if there was paste first.

Which mounting bracket are you referring to? Are you referring to this?  https://i.imgur.com/ocsxf3w.png

Also how do I reach out to you directly? Just a PM on here?
post edited by oninaig - 2021/08/14 09:23:08
EVGA_RMA_JaysonC
RMA Management
Re: 3090 RMA cancelled due to missing thermal pads that are there in the picture? 2021/08/14 09:53:41 (permalink)
Hi There oninaig,

The Bracket missing is this one - https://images.evga.com/products/gallery/png/24G-P5-3987-KR_XL_6.png

As mentioned, I will re-review the card on Monday and follow-up with you.  You are welcome to reach out via PM or email anytime.  jcane@evga.com 

Best Regards,

oninaig
Re: 3090 RMA cancelled due to missing thermal pads that are there in the picture? 2021/08/14 10:35:34 (permalink)
EVGA_RMA_JaysonC
Hi There oninaig,

The Bracket missing is this one - https://images.evga.com/products/gallery/png/24G-P5-3987-KR_XL_6.png

As mentioned, I will re-review the card on Monday and follow-up with you.  You are welcome to reach out via PM or email anytime.  jcane@evga.com 

Best Regards,

Thank you, I emailed you and clarified the the bracket was indeed returned to you guys in the same box that the card was in and I explained why that was the case.
EVGA_RMA_JaysonC
RMA Management
Re: 3090 RMA cancelled due to missing thermal pads that are there in the picture? 2021/08/16 16:11:12 (permalink) ☼ Best Answerby Cool GTX 2021/08/16 16:34:30
Hi There oninaig,

I sent you an email a few moments ago regarding your RMA.  Essentially as mentioned, our team was able to spend some time with your product today and restore it to factory condition.  Please keep in mind for any future returns to EVGA,  that they are sent in factory condition and without damage.  If you have a special situation, please contact us so we can work with you before moving forward with a non-factory condition return.   

We will be checking in your product to complete your RMA.

Please let me know if you have any additional questions and I will kindly assist further.

Regards,

ty_ger07
Insert Custom Title Here
  • Total Posts : 21171
  • Ribbons : 270
Re: 3090 RMA cancelled due to missing thermal pads that are there in the picture? 2021/08/16 22:52:21 (permalink)
I sympathize for EVGA on this one.  'What's EVGA talking about? I send it to them in stock configuration.' ... 'oh, yeah, I sent it in pieces and switched thermal putty for thermal paste (which is completely useless), but what is the big deal?'
It's almost as if EVGA accurately described the issue from the start.

ASRock Z77 • Intel Core i7 3770K • EVGA GTX 1080 • Samsung 850 Pro • Seasonic PRIME 600W Titanium
My EVGA Score: 1546 • Zero Associates Points • I don't shill

Audioboxer
Superclocked Member
  • Total Posts : 190
Re: 3090 RMA cancelled due to missing thermal pads that are there in the picture? 2021/08/17 02:16:51 (permalink)
EVGA_RMA_JaysonC
Hi There oninaig,

I sent you an email a few moments ago regarding your RMA.  Essentially as mentioned, our team was able to spend some time with your product today and restore it to factory condition.  Please keep in mind for any future returns to EVGA,  that they are sent in factory condition and without damage.  If you have a special situation, please contact us so we can work with you before moving forward with a non-factory condition return.   

We will be checking in your product to complete your RMA.

Please let me know if you have any additional questions and I will kindly assist further.

Regards,

Customer service going above and beyond here considering those pictures with the paste looked a mess.

OP not getting on at you but EVGA really have done you a favour here, hope you appreciate it!

I'd recommend everyone contact customer service first if they are unsure about reassembling something or worried about pads missing/being torn or something like that.
XrayMan
Insert Custom Title Here
  • Total Posts : 73000
  • Ribbons : 115
Re: 3090 RMA cancelled due to missing thermal pads that are there in the picture? 2021/08/21 01:03:36 (permalink)

Happy ending is what counts.     

My Affiliate Code: 8WEQVXMCJL

Associate Code: VHKH33QN4W77V6A

&nbsp
rjohnson11
EVGA Forum Moderator
  • Total Posts : 102262
  • Ribbons : 84
Re: 3090 RMA cancelled due to missing thermal pads that are there in the picture? 2021/08/21 01:44:01 (permalink)
Kudos to Jayson and his team for giving superior customer performance. 

AMD Ryzen 9 7950X,  Corsair Mp700 Pro M.2, 64GB Corsair Dominator Titanium DDR5  X670E Steel Legend, MSI RTX 4090 Associate Code: H5U80QBH6BH0AXF. I am NOT an employee of EVGA

notfordman
Omnipotent Enthusiast
  • Total Posts : 10345
  • Ribbons : 28
Re: 3090 RMA cancelled due to missing thermal pads that are there in the picture? 2021/08/24 12:50:25 (permalink)
Thank you Scarlet for bringing EVGA's attention to this, and also JaysonC [and team] for helping to remedy this situation. I would be one happy customer. 
SirTexasSir
  • Total Posts : 11
Re: 3090 RMA cancelled due to missing thermal pads that are there in the picture? 2021/08/30 20:51:00 (permalink)
Those pads actually look hell good compared to my 3080 that was over heating.  So I open it up to put pads on the back side of the memory like just about every other brand has done (and I think they even started to do on their newer released 30's cards).   Well the pads from the manufator was so geasy and crubbled into pieces I replaced them all.   Card still over heated and went blank when playing video/games (pretty sure faulty memory)...now they want me to pay 45 bucks to replace the pads.  I'll do it if it gets me a card back fast, but I'm sure they will take for ever, but their lovely system gives an error when you click on the pay link.....hell can I just pay to upgrade it to a 3090?  LOL  Though really those pads in that picture look way better than what I been seeing folks post else where and from what I seen.
Hoggle
EVGA Forum Moderator
  • Total Posts : 10101
  • Ribbons : 4
Re: 3090 RMA cancelled due to missing thermal pads that are there in the picture? 2021/08/30 22:52:51 (permalink)
At least EVGA allows parts to be changed out as long as it’s returned to factory condition. It seems like they are the only ones who allow that.

Use an Associates Code & SAVE 5% - 10% on your purchase. Just click on the associates banner to save, or enter the associates code at checkout on your next purchase. If you choose to use my code I want to personally say "Thank You" for using it. 

SirTexasSir
  • Total Posts : 11
Re: 3090 RMA cancelled due to missing thermal pads that are there in the picture? 2021/08/31 15:15:44 (permalink)
ty_ger07
I sympathize for EVGA on this one.  'What's EVGA talking about? I send it to them in stock configuration.' ... 'oh, yeah, I sent it in pieces and switched thermal putty for thermal paste (which is completely useless), but what is the big deal?'

Uh you do know from those picks, the pads are what my stock pads look like and not like he added something.  In fact my 3080 was even worse as they where all crumbled and greasy.   I don't know what they are using at the manufactors but the pads have been pretty sub par and there is a lot of complants about it with the higher end 30's cards and heat problems and crappy and no thermal pads behind the memory.
ty_ger07
Insert Custom Title Here
  • Total Posts : 21171
  • Ribbons : 270
Re: 3090 RMA cancelled due to missing thermal pads that are there in the picture? 2021/09/02 06:47:46 (permalink)
SirTexasSir
ty_ger07

Uh you do know from those picks, the pads are what my stock pads look like and not like he added something.  In fact my 3080 was even worse as they where all crumbled and greasy.   I don't know what they are using at the manufactors but the pads have been pretty sub par and there is a lot of complants about it with the higher end 30's cards and heat problems and crappy and no thermal pads behind the memory.

This is what the stock card looks like?

No.

ASRock Z77 • Intel Core i7 3770K • EVGA GTX 1080 • Samsung 850 Pro • Seasonic PRIME 600W Titanium
My EVGA Score: 1546 • Zero Associates Points • I don't shill

Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile