X79 DARK TPM Option?

Author
AnnabellaRenee87
iCX Member
  • Total Posts : 334
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 0
2021/06/24 21:20:44 (permalink)
Can this be added to the X79 Dark motherboard for Windows 11 support? I was gonna keep this platform for another GPU Generation then upgrade after I get a 3000 series but this move by Microsoft has ruined that if it can't be added.

EVGA X79 DARK Motherboard, Intel 4930K @4.4 Ghz
Corsair Dominator Platinum 32GB, GTX 1080Ti
Corsair AX1200, Corsair 800D Case.

16 Replies Related Threads

davevt31
    FTW Member
    • Total Posts : 1130
    • Ribbons : 7
    Re: X79 DARK TPM Option? 2021/06/24 21:42:56 (permalink)
    Pretty sure that the processor would not allow for Windows 11, pretty much anything older that the 8000 series is not going to pass.

Supported Intel CPUs for Win 11:

Windows Processor Requirements Windows 11 Supported Intel Processors | Microsoft Docs
    post edited by davevt31 - 2021/06/24 21:45:40

SuperConker
    iCX Member
    • Total Posts : 270
    • Ribbons : 3
    Re: X79 DARK TPM Option? 2021/06/25 21:07:52 (permalink)
    It's just a fake requirement Microsoft have added in order to force people to buy new hardware.

There really is nothing about the X79 chipset, or the 4930K CPU that doesn't support Windows 11
    (other than the fake TPM-requirement Microsoft added to prevent people from using older PC's).

People have replaced one of the files in the Windows 11 installation-media (with one from Windows 10)
    to get around this, and everything works just fine without any issues of any kind.

You also have to remember that Windows 11 is just Windows 10 under the hood,
    with a fancy new skin on top.

So in a nutshell: it's just planned obsolescence.
    post edited by SuperConker - 2021/06/25 22:56:04

jpeck2009
    iCX Member
    • Total Posts : 387
    • Ribbons : 1
    Re: X79 DARK TPM Option? 2021/06/28 10:44:39 (permalink)
    Glad to hear a workaround has been found.  I'm hoping MS backs off their requirement before release.  I have no intention of replacing my very capable x79 workstation...

AnnabellaRenee87
    iCX Member
    • Total Posts : 334
    Re: X79 DARK TPM Option? 2021/07/05 13:10:30 (permalink)
    Think at first I'm gonna use the dirty tricks to get 11 working on the x79 and start obtaining parts for a Ryzan system, gonna see what the Ryzen offering from EVGA is gonna be like before parting one together. Before 11 was announced I was thinking about getting a 10 or 12 core Xeon for the X79 system since I started live streaming and since I'm a VTuber who needs more threads for all the tracking apps I need.

EVGA X79 DARK Motherboard, Intel 4930K @4.4 Ghz
    Corsair Dominator Platinum 32GB, GTX 1080Ti
    Corsair AX1200, Corsair 800D Case.
    buyerlmao12
    • Total Posts : 100
    Flagged as Spam (1)
    Re: X79 DARK TPM Option? 2021/07/13 01:51:36 (permalink)
    i dont know
    niopio
    Superclocked Member
    • Total Posts : 155
    Re: X79 DARK TPM Option? 2021/07/23 11:37:19 (permalink)
    I also want W11 on my x79. e5-2697v2 still going strong.

EVGA SuperNOVA NEX1500 Classified
    |- EVGA x79 Dark
    |-- EVBot
    |-- Intel E5-2697v2 (from i7-3960X)
    |--- Noctua NH-D15S (from EVGA ACX CPU Cooler)
    |-- Corsair Dominator GT 64GB
    |-- EVGA 3090 FTW3 ULTRA GAMING (from 3x EVGA GeForce GTX 680 Classfieid with Backplate / Pro SLI Brdige)

<----------- Please vote for my RIG and tell me how to improve it!
    HeavyHemi
    Insert Custom Title Here
    • Total Posts : 15665
    • Ribbons : 135
    Re: X79 DARK TPM Option? 2021/07/25 15:07:14 (permalink)
    SuperConker
    It's just a fake requirement Microsoft have added in order to force people to buy new hardware.

There really is nothing about the X79 chipset, or the 4930K CPU that doesn't support Windows 11
    (other than the fake TPM-requirement Microsoft added to prevent people from using older PC's).

People have replaced one of the files in the Windows 11 installation-media (with one from Windows 10)
    to get around this, and everything works just fine without any issues of any kind.

You also have to remember that Windows 11 is just Windows 10 under the hood,
    with a fancy new skin on top.

So in a nutshell: it's just planned obsolescence.

Actually, there's a lot of hardware instruction sets on newer gen CPU's that do not exist on older gen. Some of these can be emulated in software/firmware. Older gens are suffering more and more performance penalty for security mitigation for the same reason. My Broadwell-e I think is the last gen that is not suffering from large performance hits.
    This 'blah blah' is just a reskin has been a meme since DOS... and look where we are.

EVGA X99 FTWK / i7 6850K @ 4.5ghz / RTX 3080Ti FTW Ultra / 32GB Corsair LPX 3600mhz / Samsung 850Pro 256GB / Be Quiet BN516 Straight Power 12-1000w 80 Plus Platinum / Window 10 Pro

SuperConker
    iCX Member
    Re: X79 DARK TPM Option? 2021/07/26 18:28:04 (permalink)
    We are now at a OS that has a fake tpm-requirement (so to force people into buying new hardware).

Older systems like my Haswell-E/X99 system runs Windows 11 without any problems,
    or performance hits.

My cpu doesn't suffer any performance hit either:

But Microsoft has placed an arbitrary limitation that says i can't run it, 
    despite that my PC is complete overkill for Windows 11.

Even my super-old X58 PC (with an Xeon W3690 in it) runs Windows 11 without any issues.

So the TPM requirement is definitely a fake requirement.

If it's money Microsoft is after, then they should just drop the *free upgrade* and TPM requirement
    And instead make us pay for Windows like they did in the old days.

I'd much rather pay for a full copy of Windows 11 than to buy a new Motherboard and CPU
    (the Retail copy of Windows 10 Pro for example cost 199 dollars, and i gladly paid that).
    post edited by SuperConker - 2021/07/26 21:24:28

HeavyHemi
    Insert Custom Title Here
    Re: X79 DARK TPM Option? 2021/08/02 01:52:53 (permalink)
    SuperConker
    We are now at a OS that has a fake tpm-requirement (so to force people into buying new hardware).

Older systems like my Haswell-E/X99 system runs Windows 11 without any problems,
    or performance hits.

Even my super-old X58 PC (with an Xeon W3690 in it) runs Windows 11 without any issues.

If it's money Microsoft is after, then they should just drop the *free upgrade* and TPM requirement

I'd much rather pay for a full copy of Windows 11 than to buy a new Motherboard and CPU
    (the Retail copy of Windows 10 Pro for example cost 199 dollars, and i gladly paid that).

I'm  not sure what point you think you're making by claiming real things are fake and claiming there has been essentially no performance and efficiency gains in the last 15 years and it's just a giant MS conspiracy. Why do believe that image is a representation of a percentate hit you have on performance with mitigations enabled. Here's a fun one: Run a test on your SSD and see how large the drop is in performance with mitigation enabled. You absolutely can bypass security measures to run older systems. This is nothing new. I'd sure not recommend that for the average user...right? Apparently you believe the Windows paradigm should be for the advanced user, one who fiddles around and disables services. We here are not the typical Windows user, your mom is.
    Your X58 systems is at least a 50% clock per clock performance deficit against the newest processors and is far less efficient.  I don't know were to go when a reply is basically noise.
    I think, since I spent so much time getting EVGA to update their ucode for X99 boards (and finally coordinating with intel for a perm fix) for these mitigations, I know a bit about them.
    post edited by HeavyHemi - 2021/08/02 01:58:09

EVGA X99 FTWK / i7 6850K @ 4.5ghz / RTX 3080Ti FTW Ultra / 32GB Corsair LPX 3600mhz / Samsung 850Pro 256GB / Be Quiet BN516 Straight Power 12-1000w 80 Plus Platinum / Window 10 Pro

wmmills
    CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
    • Total Posts : 5679
    • Ribbons : 40
    Re: X79 DARK TPM Option? 2021/08/02 05:22:19 (permalink)
    SuperConker

or performance hits.

Dont worry about it. If its software, its crackable. There will be work arounds galore eventually cause the tech enthusiasts out there arent just gonna lay over and die cause M$ has come up with yet another scheme to force there will on the consumer. In fact, it may even be you that finds one. 

MOBO: EVGA x299 Dark, CPU: I9 10900X, RAM: Patriot Viper RGB 3600 32gb, SSD: Samsung 860 EVO 1TB, M2: Samsung 970 EVO+ 1TB, PSU: CoolerMaster M2 1500, CPU HSF: EVGA 240 CLC HSF~ P/P EK Furious Vardar, G-CARD:EVGA RTX3090 FTW3 Ultra Gaming w/Hybrid kit and Noctua IPPC 3000 P/P, CASE: LIAN-LI PC-V2010B w/ Window mod, OS: Windows 10 Pro 64bit, MON: Alienware AW3821DW

New EVGA product? Register it NOW with this link:
    http://www.evga.com/register/default.asp?affiliatecode=4QFQRAMOII
     Help Our Vets From K-2!
    [link=https://strongholdfreedom
    SuperConker
    iCX Member
    Re: X79 DARK TPM Option? 2021/08/02 22:26:09 (permalink)
    HeavyHemi
    I'm  not sure what point you think you're making by claiming real things are fake and claiming there has been essentially no performance and efficiency gains in the last 15 years and it's just a giant MS conspiracy. Why do believe that image is a representation of a percentate hit you have on performance with mitigations enabled. Here's a fun one: Run a test on your SSD and see how large the drop is in performance with mitigation enabled. You absolutely can bypass security measures to run older systems. This is nothing new. I'd sure not recommend that for the average user...right? Apparently you believe the Windows paradigm should be for the advanced user, one who fiddles around and disables services. We here are not the typical Windows user, your mom is.
    Your X58 systems is at least a 50% clock per clock performance deficit against the newest processors and is far less efficient.  I don't know were to go when a reply is basically noise.
    I think, since I spent so much time getting EVGA to update their ucode for X99 boards (and finally coordinating with intel for a perm fix) for these mitigations, I know a bit about them.

I never said there have been no performance gains in the past 15 years, nor am i saying there is some huge conspiracy going on.
    I am however, saying that the TPM requirement is just an arbitrary requirement, meant to make people buy new hardware.

I'm currently running Windows 11 on the two said computers (X99 and X58) and it's running just fine with no issues or performance hits whatsoever.

So Windows 11 can clearly run on hardware that is way older than the TPM-requirement Microsoft have set
    (and i'm not sure how that is coming off as *noise* when it's clearly true).

I also never said Windows is only for advanced users, so i think you're missing my point a little.

I'm saying people should be able to run Windows 11 (provided the computer is good enough)
    without having to modify Windows 11 to install it.
    post edited by SuperConker - 2021/08/02 23:05:49

HeavyHemi
    Insert Custom Title Here
    Re: X79 DARK TPM Option? 2021/08/03 00:01:07 (permalink)
    SuperConker
    HeavyHemi

I never said there have been no performance gains in the past 15 years, nor am i saying there is some huge conspiracy going on.
    I am however, saying that the TPM requirement is just an arbitrary requirement, meant to make people buy new hardware.

I'm currently running Windows 11 on the two said computers (X99 and X58) and it's running just fine with no issues or performance hits whatsoever.

So Windows 11 can clearly run on hardware that is way older than the TPM-requirement Microsoft have set
    (and i'm not sure how that is coming off as *noise* when it's clearly true).

I also never said Windows is only for advanced users, so i think you're missing my point a little.

I'm saying people should be able to run Windows 11 (provided the computer is good enough)
    without having to modify Windows 11 to install it.

"Older systems like my Haswell-E/X99 system runs Windows 11 without any problems,
    or performance hits.

My cpu doesn't suffer any performance hit either"

Yes,  you did say those things I am critiquing you for. I bolded your conspiracy you were kind enough to repeat.

You're using the same arguments folks use against every new version of Windows when something older is no longer supported.  It gets boring after awhile.
    Fortunately the pace of obsolescence has slowed down. A few short decades ago, you were lucky to get a year until you were woefully outdated and incompatible with the latest API.

SuperConker
    iCX Member
    Re: X79 DARK TPM Option? 2021/08/03 02:28:53 (permalink)
    That is not the same as saying there have not been any performance gains in the last 15 years,
    nothing i have said implies that.

All it means is that Microsoft has drawn an arbitrary line in the sand that says
    "if your PC is more than 3 years old, you are not running Windows 11"

And all of this would be fine of course, if PC's that are older than that weren't capable/good enough to run it
    (but many are, and they run it just fine as-well).

Previous System Requirements from Microsoft have for the most part, made perfect sense
    (like a faster CPU, more RAM, more Disk-space, GPU with WDDM 1.0 etc.).

But this new TPM-requirement certainly don't make any sense.

To make matters worse, you can even disable TPM after installing Windows 11, further showing that it's not really a real requirement
    (you just need to re-enroll your Windows-Hello credentials, and use your BitLocker backup key).

I'm glad you are fine with it all of this, but a lot of people are not.
    post edited by SuperConker - 2021/08/03 21:57:42

DEJ915
    SSC Member
    • Total Posts : 544
    • Ribbons : 11
    Re: X79 DARK TPM Option? 2021/08/03 17:54:05 (permalink)
    Keep in mind that Windows 11 is not actually released yet, test builds can be much different from final product.
    niopio
    Superclocked Member
    • Total Posts : 155
    Re: X79 DARK TPM Option? 2021/10/06 07:12:50 (permalink)
    Does the Dark have at least TPM 1.2 and secure boot? How to turn it on?

EVGA SuperNOVA NEX1500 Classified
    |- EVGA x79 Dark
    |-- EVBot
    |-- Intel E5-2697v2 (from i7-3960X)
    |--- Noctua NH-D15S (from EVGA ACX CPU Cooler)
    |-- Corsair Dominator GT 64GB
    |-- EVGA 3090 FTW3 ULTRA GAMING (from 3x EVGA GeForce GTX 680 Classfieid with Backplate / Pro SLI Brdige)

<----------- Please vote for my RIG and tell me how to improve it!
    SuperConker
    iCX Member
    Re: X79 DARK TPM Option? 2021/10/09 20:30:55 (permalink)
    Your "Evga X79 Dark" motherboard has "Secure Boot" in the Bios.

And the X79 Chipset/CPU itself supports TPM (TPM 1.2) but only through a Header,
    and you would need to find a TPM-module as seen here:

But your "Evga X79 Dark" motherboard does not have such a Header on it, so you will not be able to add a TPM-module to it.
    post edited by SuperConker - 2021/10/09 23:54:14

Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile