EVGA

CATERROR_LED on EVGA Z490 FTW

Author
toxicfool
  • Total Posts : 3
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 0
2021/06/20 07:46:43 (permalink)
In the past couple months the catastrophic error led on my motherboard has lit up with the system hardlocking (no bluescreens).  Is there a diagnostic to run to check if this is being caused by my motherboard or do I need to just test the cpu?

Both times it has happened I had just finished playing Satisfactory and had my floor fan on (across the room).  I don't know if that has any correlation or not to my issue.

What causes the CATERROR led to light up normally? 

EVGA Z490 FTW, Bios 1.10
Intel i7-10700k, stock clock speeds.

4 Replies Related Threads

EVGA_Lee
    • Total Posts : 4247
    • Ribbons : 14
    Re: CATERROR_LED on EVGA Z490 FTW 2021/06/21 13:51:13 (permalink)
    CATERROR is generally CPU related.  Although it sounds redundant, I would test anything that could be CPU related, such as memory (test different numbers of sticks and slots), voltages (possibly try giving a bump to CPU Vcore), any custom BIOS settings that could affect the CPU.  Also, check to make sure you're using the latest BIOS (or even test an older BIOS). 

Eventually, you might consider trying to reseat the CPU.  See if any of these steps help.
    Drexial
    • Total Posts : 23
    • Ribbons : 1
    Re: CATERROR_LED on EVGA Z490 FTW 2021/11/26 09:59:41 (permalink)
    This is an old post but I was getting the same error on my z490 dark. Basically when I would play games it was fine, but if I was watching a twitch stream or youtube video, or really just anything on the desktop my pc would randomly lock up and freeze and the caterror led would pop up. Ended up being my gpu vertical mount. I removed it and installed the gpu in the mobo pcie slot and it went away. What's weird is, the vertical mount worked fine with my 3080. As soon as I got my 3080 Ti is when the issue started happening. 

toxicfool
    • Total Posts : 3
    • Ribbons : 0
    Re: CATERROR_LED on EVGA Z490 FTW 2021/11/27 10:20:12 (permalink)
    Drexial
    This is an old post but I was getting the same error on my z490 dark. Basically when I would play games it was fine, but if I was watching a twitch stream or youtube video, or really just anything on the desktop my pc would randomly lock up and freeze and the caterror led would pop up. Ended up being my gpu vertical mount. I removed it and installed the gpu in the mobo pcie slot and it went away. What's weird is, the vertical mount worked fine with my 3080. As soon as I got my 3080 Ti is when the issue started happening. 

What lead you you look into the vertical mount?  I am also using a vertical mount for my 3080.  It happened again recently with Diablo 2 Resurrected.  But it seems to happen when i quit games, not while playing.  I'm dreading have to re-do my water loop again to try and fit the card normally.

I've replaced my memory and am about to replace the cpu.  I've probably wasted 600 dollars trying to figure out what is happening.  Since it hard locks, there is no memory dump or windows event logs.

I re-ran OCCT's avx2 stress test and it passed.  So I am at a loss trying to replicate the issue. 

Edit:  When I replaced my memory I was unable to load the XMP profiles as the machine would not post.  Although I am pretty sure my old memory was perfectly fine.
    post edited by toxicfool - 2021/11/27 10:23:15
    Drexial
    • Total Posts : 23
    • Ribbons : 1
    Re: CATERROR_LED on EVGA Z490 FTW 2021/12/06 14:11:07 (permalink)
    toxicfool
    Drexial

What lead you you look into the vertical mount?  I am also using a vertical mount for my 3080.  It happened again recently with Diablo 2 Resurrected.  But it seems to happen when i quit games, not while playing.  I'm dreading have to re-do my water loop again to try and fit the card normally.

I've replaced my memory and am about to replace the cpu.  I've probably wasted 600 dollars trying to figure out what is happening.  Since it hard locks, there is no memory dump or windows event logs.

I re-ran OCCT's avx2 stress test and it passed.  So I am at a loss trying to replicate the issue. 

Edit:  When I replaced my memory I was unable to load the XMP profiles as the machine would not post.  Although I am pretty sure my old memory was perfectly fine.

Only way I found out was, I had a 3080 and everything worked fine. I upgraded to a 3080 ti and started getting the issue. I was getting really frustrated and just wanted to try out the card with out the vertical mount to see if it would help, and never had a crash after taking it out.

Also intel has a processor diagnostic tool you can use. If it throws up an error you may have a bad cpu. I ran that before taking out the vertical mount and it found 0 errors even with my overclock.

Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile