EVGA

What made you decide evga over ROG

Author
Snider4life
  • Total Posts : 4
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 0
2021/06/08 11:28:27 (permalink)
I'm truly curious on why people choose evga I want the best of the best and wanna know why they are

22 Replies Related Threads

th3cl3ric
    Superclocked Member
    • Total Posts : 108
    Re: What made you decide evga over ROG 2021/06/08 11:36:03 (permalink)
    I'm choosing EVGA over ROG because of the quality products and the great customer support.
    And in 90% customers reviews, EVGA have better qualifications
    supaflowinz
    Superclocked Member
    • Total Posts : 110
    Re: What made you decide evga over ROG 2021/06/08 11:38:03 (permalink)
    because of how they handle GPUS, shows they are a good company.
    RogueMaster
    iCX Member
    • Total Posts : 403
    • Ribbons : 2
    Re: What made you decide evga over ROG 2021/06/08 12:18:52 (permalink)
    Product is generally better, and EVGA has actual customer service. You won't find anything remotely close with ASUS.

pathfindercod
    iCX Member
    • Total Posts : 462
    • Ribbons : 2
    Re: What made you decide evga over ROG 2021/06/08 12:50:26 (permalink)
    EVGA support is bar none the best in the biz. However when you cant get the parts sometimes you just have to do what you gotta do.
    Darkkittycry79
    Superclocked Member
    • Total Posts : 213
    Re: What made you decide evga over ROG 2021/06/08 13:24:29 (permalink)

Years ago -I chose them for value initially, but then liked their policies. 

Their products seemed quality, with taste and backed by real customer service.  The lifetime warranty used to make it a no-brainer.  Lately, NVIDIA just can't compete with AMD on value, so for a decade I swapped from Oh GeeeeForce to Ray-deone.  And my EVGA shopping was sadly done.  They only sold green and though green was number 1, it wasn't worth the cost to be number 1.  The difference was not life changing for the added expense.

At the moment, EVGA makes the best looking cards.  So back that with stellar reputation.  This is a no-brainer.  If you're willing to spend.  

My recent question, is if I'm willing to spend or wait for logic to prevail with the prices.
    B0baganoosh
    CLASSIFIED Member
    • Total Posts : 2365
    • Ribbons : 39
    Re: What made you decide evga over ROG 2021/06/08 14:26:21 (permalink)

Well, this keeps coming up, so let me give some background on why I waited for the EVGA z590 and give some information. For me, EVGA is a company that cares more about its customers than any other company in this market by a long shot. Not only do they actually interact with them regularly (you can ask Jacob questions on twitter and even get a response...who else does that?) through twitter, twitch, the forums, the website, youtube, etc. but they actually stand behind their products with industry-leading warranty and service. Do their parts brake sometimes? Sure, but they actually make it right. I've heard horror stories from every company out there and while some people have been horribly unlucky with RMAs even through EVGA, I've never seen EVGA not do everything possible to make it right. So that's the sort of behavior that makes me comfortable with their products.

Now lets talk price and specs:

EVGA z590 FTW: $429
    Power phases: 17
    Board Layers: 8
    Memory sticks: 4
    M.2 slots: 3

EVGA z590 Dark: $???
    Power phases: 22
    Board Layers: 10
    Memory sticks: 2 (board set up for OC improvements)
    M.2 slots: 2? (board set up for OC improvements)

ASUS ROG Maximus XIII Hero (WiFi 6E) Z590: $480
    Power phases: 16
    Board Layers: 6
    M.2 slots: 4

ASUS ROG Maximus XIII Apex (WiFi 6E) Z590: $599 (this board is closer to the Dark in specs)
    Power phases: 18
    Memory sticks: 2

ASUS ROG Strix Z590-E Gaming WiFi 6E: $359

MSI MPG Z590 GAMING CARBON WIFI: $462

GIGABYTE Z590 AORUS MASTER: $418
    Power phases: 19

ASRock Z590 TAICHI: $459
    Power phases: 14

Now, things like USB connectivity, WiFi, NIC requirements, etc. are all going to be dependent on your use case and what works best for you. I just picked some items that were important to me and speak to the quality of the board. You'll notice the two highest price boards (assuming Dark is up there) only have 2 DIMM slots: that's because you can OC 2 DIMMs easier than 4 and those two boards are all about that OC.

You can see that of the boards in the price range of the FTW, none of the others use an 8-layer PCB. that thing feels solid in your hands and theoretically, they had to run traces less distance by using more layers (according to the marketing anyway), and that allows for more stable operation. I can say that if that is true about shorter traces, than their claim is true. I can also say (as an EE) that the board with more layers almost definitely cost more to manufacture (vendor to vendor may cause variation here, but if EVGA went to the same vendor and asked for a 6 layer board and and 8 layer board, the 8 layer is more expensive). This just speaks to the quality of the board.

Now you factor in that the boards look fantastic, the specs and quality are right up there with (mostly exceeding) the other boards in the price range and I don't understand how people think the EVGA boards are priced that much above others or anywhere near outlandish. I'm not a marketing guy, but it seems like their price targets fit with the other items on the market and speak to their quality. 

I doubt I covered every other board in the range and I didn't intend to cover all the specs (go ahead and google to your delight lol), but I keep seeing the question asked, so I wanted to answer it.

6Q6CPFHPBPCU691 is a discount code anyone can use.

i9 13900k - EVGA Z690 Classy - Nvidia RTX 4090 FE - G.Skill 32GB DDR5-6000  - WD SN850 2TB NVMe Gen4 - Be Quiet! Straight Power 12 1200W - Be Quiet! Dark Base 900 Pro. MO-RA3 420 Pro. Dark Palimpsest MODS RIGS post for build notes.
    biiigshawn
    Superclocked Member
    • Total Posts : 101
    Re: What made you decide evga over ROG 2021/06/08 14:55:47 (permalink)
    EVGA all the way
    Medicgarou
    Superclocked Member
    • Total Posts : 110
    Re: What made you decide evga over ROG 2021/06/09 05:53:45 (permalink)
    I have an entire Strix system, including case which I am going to be giving to my wife (who am I kidding, she already took it) and building an entire EVGA set up mostly because of the way they are handling the GPU shortage with the queue system.  It's not instant gratification but at least I know I'll get one eventually.  A company that does that deserves props in my book 
    Felmaggots
    • Total Posts : 9
    Re: What made you decide evga over ROG 2021/06/09 14:53:28 (permalink)
    Nike hit the nail on the head. The support I get from EVGA in my experience is hands down the best. They constantly give back to the community when they don't have to, i.e Twitch, giveaways, prizes for community games. I have enjoyed my time in the community and I can't really say that about another brand. Their products are, in my opinion and personal experience, the best on the market. 
    volta77
    • Total Posts : 100
    Re: What made you decide evga over ROG 2021/06/10 01:38:18 (permalink)
    I like EVGA cause I can buy Graphics card only rather than a bundle

Dendra
    Superclocked Member
    • Total Posts : 111
    Re: What made you decide evga over ROG 2021/06/10 09:06:44 (permalink)
    The EVGA FTW3 is top5, so not the best but you don't get as much interaction from Asus so people gravitate towards EVGA more.

Both Asus TUF Gaming and Rog Strix seem to be the best picks in their price range but given the gpu shortage, does it really matter...
    aka_STEVE_b
    EGC Admin
    • Total Posts : 17692
    • Ribbons : 69
    Re: What made you decide evga over ROG 2021/06/10 10:38:55 (permalink)
    because they are the only one still that has implemented a queue type system for actual people to try to get a card ....

AMD RYZEN 9 5900X  12-core cpu~ ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Dark Hero ~ EVGA RTX 3080 Ti FTW3~ G.SKILL Trident Z NEO 32GB DDR4-3600 ~ Phanteks Eclipse P400s red case ~ EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 G+ PSU ~ Intel 660p M.2 drive~ Crucial MX300 275 GB SSD ~WD 2TB SSD ~CORSAIR H115i RGB Pro XT 280mm cooler ~ CORSAIR Dark Core RGB Pro mouse ~ CORSAIR K68 Mech keyboard ~ HGST 4TB Hd.~ AOC AGON 32" monitor 1440p @ 144Hz ~ Win 10 x64
    Cool GTX
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 30996
    • Ribbons : 122
    Re: What made you decide evga over ROG 2021/06/10 10:47:22 (permalink)
    Because I can remove / change the:  cooler, TIM or thermal pads & ... not void my warranty

then there is all of this: Terms & Conditions

Learn your way around the EVGA Forums, Rules & limits on new accounts Ultimate Self-Starter Thread For New Members

I am a Volunteer Moderator - not an EVGA employee

https://foldingathome.org -->become a citizen scientist and contribute your compute power to help fight global health threats

RTX Project EVGA X99 FTWK Nibbler EVGA X99 Classified EVGA 3080Ti FTW3 Ultra

Hoggle
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 10102
    • Ribbons : 4
    Re: What made you decide evga over ROG 2021/06/10 10:54:47 (permalink)
    I like ROG products but the support is lacking with them if you have trouble compared to EVGA. The ROG forum is not monitored by staff and just more of a mess and support when you do reach out just lacks the same level of customer care. This is coming from experience with EVGA before I was a moderator and I don’t contact EVGA saying I am a moderator even now.

Also I agree the flexibility EVGA gives consumers to change coolers and thermal pads is nice. Most others that voids the warranty (just make sure you keep the original cooler to replace in case you have to send it back)

Use an Associates Code & SAVE 5% - 10% on your purchase. Just click on the associates banner to save, or enter the associates code at checkout on your next purchase. If you choose to use my code I want to personally say "Thank You" for using it. 

Temet Nosce
    Superclocked Member
    • Total Posts : 180
    Re: What made you decide evga over ROG 2021/06/10 11:29:44 (permalink)
    aka_STEVE_b
    because they are the only one still that has implemented a queue type system for actual people to try to get a card ....

This is the most accurate response I suspect. I have (and still do) buy both Asus and EVGA products, but that said I can say that EVGA has been better historically on quality and customer service than Asus (Asus incidentally, is who is actually behind RoG), particularly given what a mess my last Asus monitor was. But the main reason I went EVGA here was simply because EVGA would actually let me get a card.
    the_real_zazza
    • Total Posts : 25
    Re: What made you decide evga over ROG 2021/06/11 04:47:28 (permalink)
    I will answer you on what I have seen about me with asus, well ... I state that asus also produces products of the highest quality but ... Absolutely ZERO customer support, zero SOCIAL, zero zero and subzero. They sell you the product, after which you are in nobody's hands. I have had asus products, including a 3080 rog strix 3080 OC which I sold to stay in EVGA. Last bad episode with Asus dates back to November 2020. Purchase a 3080 tuf oc on their official shop, very happy. They even ship the same evening. The next day I see that the tracking is strange, DHL says that he cannot deliver the shipment due to lack of data and contact details, the package comes back. Contact DHL, he tells me that Asus only has my name on the delivery note, no surname, no street, no city ... Nothing! Asus contact, asus shop chat, messages, calls, emails, social networks, open tickets ... nothing. There is no way to contact anyone, you call by phone they tell you "we will turn it over to the competent department, we can't do anything". Nobody can do anything in Asus. On the same story, you send an email and they answer you after days and days. Meanwhile, the package goes through DHL sorting centers to return to asus 3 days later. They tell me don't worry, let's edit the data and send it back. Still other days pass, I contact them in every way, but nothing. Finally, after two weeks, I open a Paypal dispute for a refund and it is accepted in less than 30 minutes. Moral of the story, never again asus. They can stay where they are. There is not only the product, there are people who buy and a community of enthusiasts behind it. Communication in 2021 is the basis of everything but they are still in 1990! I prefer to have 10mhz less boost on a product instead of suffering the pains of hell in case of need. I hope this never happens with Evga.

stupidalien
    Superclocked Member
    • Total Posts : 103
    Re: What made you decide evga over ROG 2021/06/11 05:18:57 (permalink)
    great product backed by a great guarantee with a history of making good on things that are wrong by giving a better card if theres something wrong with the original one.

Use this Associate code during checkout for up to 10% discount: U4LF5H562DZMVAX

Smithship
    Superclocked Member
    • Total Posts : 183
    Re: What made you decide evga over ROG 2021/06/13 12:37:05 (permalink)
    supaflowinz
    because of how they handle GPUS, shows they are a good company.

^ this
    Red_Infern013
    Superclocked Member
    • Total Posts : 218
    • Ribbons : 1
    Re: What made you decide evga over ROG 2021/06/13 13:33:44 (permalink)
    Never had an evga before since they're not usually an option where I'm from. Would love to get my hands on a FTW3 3080 or 3090 one day though, until then my strix 2060s will have to do :)

AMD R9 3900x || Deepcool Gamer Storm Assassin III CPU Air Cooler || Asus ROG Strix RTX 2060s Evo || MSI B450 Tomahawk Max ||  2x8gb Crucial Ballistix 3200Mhz || 1TB SanDisk Ultra 3d SATA SSD || EVGA SuperNOVA 750 G1+
    jaylux
    Superclocked Member
    • Total Posts : 103
    Re: What made you decide evga over ROG 2021/06/13 15:21:16 (permalink)
    Nike_7688

Well, this keeps coming up, so let me give some background on why I waited for the EVGA z590 and give some information. For me, EVGA is a company that cares more about its customers than any other company in this market by a long shot. Not only do they actually interact with them regularly (you can ask Jacob questions on twitter and even get a response...who else does that?) through twitter, twitch, the forums, the website, youtube, etc. but they actually stand behind their products with industry-leading warranty and service. Do their parts brake sometimes? Sure, but they actually make it right. I've heard horror stories from every company out there and while some people have been horribly unlucky with RMAs even through EVGA, I've never seen EVGA not do everything possible to make it right. So that's the sort of behavior that makes me comfortable with their products.

Now lets talk price and specs:

EVGA z590 FTW: $429
    Power phases: 17
    Board Layers: 8

EVGA z590 Dark: $???
    Power phases: 22
    Memory sticks: 2 (board set up for OC improvements)
    M.2 slots: 2? (board set up for OC improvements)

ASUS ROG Maximus XIII Hero (WiFi 6E) Z590: $480

ASUS ROG Maximus XIII Apex (WiFi 6E) Z590: $599 (this board is closer to the Dark in specs)
    Power phases: 18
    Memory sticks: 2

ASUS ROG Strix Z590-E Gaming WiFi 6E: $359

MSI MPG Z590 GAMING CARBON WIFI: $462

GIGABYTE Z590 AORUS MASTER: $418
    Power phases: 19

ASRock Z590 TAICHI: $459
    Power phases: 14

Now, things like USB connectivity, WiFi, NIC requirements, etc. are all going to be dependent on your use case and what works best for you. I just picked some items that were important to me and speak to the quality of the board. You'll notice the two highest price boards (assuming Dark is up there) only have 2 DIMM slots: that's because you can OC 2 DIMMs easier than 4 and those two boards are all about that OC.

You can see that of the boards in the price range of the FTW, none of the others use an 8-layer PCB. that thing feels solid in your hands and theoretically, they had to run traces less distance by using more layers (according to the marketing anyway), and that allows for more stable operation. I can say that if that is true about shorter traces, than their claim is true. I can also say (as an EE) that the board with more layers almost definitely cost more to manufacture (vendor to vendor may cause variation here, but if EVGA went to the same vendor and asked for a 6 layer board and and 8 layer board, the 8 layer is more expensive). This just speaks to the quality of the board.

Now you factor in that the boards look fantastic, the specs and quality are right up there with (mostly exceeding) the other boards in the price range and I don't understand how people think the EVGA boards are priced that much above others or anywhere near outlandish. I'm not a marketing guy, but it seems like their price targets fit with the other items on the market and speak to their quality. 

I doubt I covered every other board in the range and I didn't intend to cover all the specs (go ahead and google to your delight lol), but I keep seeing the question asked, so I wanted to answer it.

This is a great breakdown, really appreciate it!
    Nozler
    CLASSIFIED Member
    • Total Posts : 2043
    • Ribbons : 1
    Re: What made you decide evga over ROG 2021/06/13 18:34:47 (permalink)
    Ah the Dark one gimme gimme *Drool*

heatware

103JL
    • Total Posts : 100
    Re: What made you decide evga over ROG 2021/06/14 15:02:20 (permalink)
    ROG are generally more expensive but money aside, i'd probably take ROG over EVGA 90% of the time. Asus is pretty darn competitive
    Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile