EVGA

x299 E295 and i7-7820x Bios 1.29

Author
betopr
  • Total Posts : 29
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 0
2021/06/07 11:15:39 (permalink)
Hi, does anyone know why every time I cold start my PC one CPU core is always active while the rest are not  being used much, i have to restart the  computer  after i cold boot to fix fix that problem. Bios is not overclocked, everything is default. i posted a  picture for reference.

cpu i7-7820x
ram corsair 32gb
nvme m.2 Samsung 1tb
no sata drives connected
nvidia 2080ti
no pci card  installed only the GPU

Attached Image(s)

17 Replies Related Threads

AlexisRO
    FTW Member
    • Total Posts : 1920
    • Ribbons : 9
    Re: x299 E295 and i7-7820x Bios 1.29 2021/06/07 23:49:27 (permalink)
    Hi,

Are you sure that if you go to the process tab (you can sort them by CPU utilization) you've got nothing running in the background? Maybe an Antivirus software or something?

System: 7820X - MSI X299 Carbon AC - G.Skill 32Gb TridentZ 3200 - EVGA 1080 Ti - 500 Gb Samsung 970 EVO , 2Tb Crucial MX500, 2Tb, 3Tb, 4Tb Seagate - Seasonic 1000W Prime - Creative Sound Blaster Z - Windows 10 Pro 64 - Phanteks Enthoo Primo - Edifier S530D - Acer Predator XB271HU (1440p)

Watercooling loop: Heatkiller CPU - EK 1080 Ti - Swiftech MCP 655 with EK X-Top v2 - XSPC reservoir - Alphacool 480 x2

betopr
    Re: x299 E295 and i7-7820x Bios 1.29 2021/06/09 01:28:01 (permalink)
    AlexisRO
    Hi,

Are you sure that if you go to the process tab (you can sort them by CPU utilization) you've got nothing running in the background? Maybe an Antivirus software or something?

Yes, cold boot and restart are the same. i also sort the CPU tab in DM and only system and task manager are the highest process with most CPU usage. i have made changes to the BIOS as much as i can but nothing fixed it, only a restart  can make the CPU work with all the cores normally.
    Edgesunito
    • Total Posts : 4
    Re: x299 E295 and i7-7820x Bios 1.29 2021/06/09 11:59:03 (permalink)
    maybe try setting smt off?
    Mars666
    • Total Posts : 5
    Re: x299 E295 and i7-7820x Bios 1.29 2021/06/12 09:41:25 (permalink)
    Hello everyone! I have the same issue on EVGA DARK X299 (last bios and last 21H1 build), then my pc start windows, my second core is always 100% (i9 10980XE) and i have stuuters in windows and games. I check latencymon issue - the problem is aspi.sys, i dont have this issue year ago. Then i restart pc this issue is gone. My specs : i9 10980XE 4.7Ghz OC/ X299 Dark 1.28 bios/ 32Gb Ram/ SSD M2 EVO 960Pro/ Last all drivers on everything. Performance mode in windows/ reinstall windows any build doesnt help. If some one know smt about this problem? Thanks!
    post edited by Mars666 - 2021/06/12 09:43:56
    ZoranC
    FTW Member
    • Total Posts : 1099
    • Ribbons : 16
    Re: x299 E295 and i7-7820x Bios 1.29 2021/06/12 14:51:45 (permalink)
    betopr
    Hi, does anyone know why every time I cold start my PC one CPU core is always active while the rest are not  being used much, i have to restart the  computer  after i cold boot to fix fix that problem.

First, find -which- process is causing that. If it is ACPI.sys you will find that there are many reasons why ACPI.sys results in high CPU load and many of them don't have anything to do with motherboard. For start I would try following:

1. Disable C states
    2. Disable fast boot
    3. Disable ACPI Sleep State
    4. Disable hybernation
    5. Use -ultimate performance- power plan
    ZoranC
    FTW Member
    Re: x299 E295 and i7-7820x Bios 1.29 2021/06/12 17:11:30 (permalink)
    Here is one setting I forgot to mention that I always turn off in BIOS: Disable wake on LAN. You might want to try it.
    Slade__
    • Total Posts : 100
    Flagged as Spam (2)
    Re: x299 E295 and i7-7820x Bios 1.29 2021/06/14 20:27:39 (permalink)
    Good tips
    betopr
    Re: x299 E295 and i7-7820x Bios 1.29 2021/06/15 00:37:50 (permalink)
    ZoranC
    betopr
    Hi, does anyone know why every time I cold start my PC one CPU core is always active while the rest are not  being used much, i have to restart the  computer  after i cold boot to fix fix that problem.

First, find -which- process is causing that. If it is ACPI.sys you will find that there are many reasons why ACPI.sys results in high CPU load and many of them don't have anything to do with motherboard. For start I would try following:

1. Disable C states
    2. Disable fast boot
    4. Disable hybernation

Hi, i tried everything but nothing helped. now i did something that confirm that it’s a bios/motherboard problem and not an acpi/windows problem. what i did was press delete to get the bios option that has 4 menus one for bios setting and other for default setting and other for overclock robot. if i select use bios default option that makes me restart the PC and wait until windows starts then i open device manager and everything is working fine that is because i am forced to restart the pc anyways, or just press ctlr + atl + delete while the X299 MICRO logo  is on display that will make  the PC to restart from the BIOS and  when I enter windows and open device manager to check the CPU usage everything  is working fine, this way I don’t have to  restart from windows now that I know that it’s not a windows problem but it a  BIOS/Motherboard problem. I hope EVGA reads this and can figure what is the problem.

Mars666
    Hello everyone! I have the same issue on EVGA DARK X299 (last bios and last 21H1 build), then my pc start windows, my second core is always 100% (i9 10980XE) and i have stuuters in windows and games. I check latencymon issue - the problem is aspi.sys, i dont have this issue year ago. Then i restart pc this issue is gone. My specs : i9 10980XE 4.7Ghz OC/ X299 Dark 1.28 bios/ 32Gb Ram/ SSD M2 EVO 960Pro/ Last all drivers on everything. Performance mode in windows/ reinstall windows any build doesnt help. If some one know smt about this problem? Thanks!

Hi, can you  try pressing ctlr + alt + delete during the bios screen to force the PC  to restart and see if the CPU is working fine in device manager that way you don't have to use default options to restart the BIOS and lose anything you have configured.
    ZoranC
    FTW Member
    Re: x299 E295 and i7-7820x Bios 1.29 2021/06/15 09:05:27 (permalink)
    betopr
    ZoranC
    betopr

1. Disable C states
    2. Disable fast boot
    4. Disable hybernation

Hi, i tried everything but nothing helped. now i did something that confirm that it’s a bios/motherboard problem and not an acpi/windows problem. what i did was press delete to get the bios option that has 4 menus one for bios setting and other for default setting and other for overclock robot. if i select use bios default option that makes me restart the PC and wait until windows starts then i open device manager and everything is working fine that is because i am forced to restart the pc anyways, or just press ctlr + atl + delete while the X299 MICRO logo  is on display that will make  the PC to restart from the BIOS and  when I enter windows and open device manager to check the CPU usage everything  is working fine, this way I don’t have to  restart from windows now that I know that it’s not a windows problem but it a  BIOS/Motherboard problem. I hope EVGA reads this and can figure what is the problem.

Mars666

Hi, can you  try pressing ctlr + alt + delete during the bios screen to force the PC  to restart and see if the CPU is working fine in device manager that way you don't have to use default options to restart the BIOS and lose anything you have configured.

I don't see how this proves it is mb and not configuration/software issue. All this does is introduce delay between power on and boot which gives devices time to come out of sleep, exactly same thing that happens when you first cold boot and then restart. However if you still feel it is mb issue you should call EVGA and open up a ticket with them. They won't jump on something written on forums if it isn't proven as clear issue with mb itself.

P.S. Here is a way to confirm is it mb or software: Install Linux. If Linux isn't showing 100% CPU usage after boot then it is not motherboard, it is software.
    betopr
    Re: x299 E295 and i7-7820x Bios 1.29 2021/06/15 09:26:11 (permalink)
    ZoranC
    betopr
    ZoranC
    betopr

1. Disable C states
    2. Disable fast boot
    4. Disable hybernation

Mars666

I don't see how this proves it is mb and not configuration/software issue. All this does is introduce delay between power on and boot which gives devices time to come out of sleep, exactly same thing that happens when you first cold boot and then restart. However if you still feel it is mb issue you should call EVGA and open up a ticket with them. They won't jump on something written on forums if it isn't proven as clear issue with mb itself.

P.S. Here is a way to confirm is it mb or software: Install Linux. If Linux isn't showing 100% CPU usage after boot then it is not motherboard, it is software.

well i installed  windows 10 fresh without drivers on 4 different HDD 1 nvme ,  a sata ssd, a sata nvme, and a mechanical hdd, everything is the same. i will try Linux as you suggested and report back.
    ZoranC
    FTW Member
    Re: x299 E295 and i7-7820x Bios 1.29 2021/06/15 11:08:15 (permalink)
    betopr
    well i installed  windows 10 fresh without drivers on 4 different HDD 1 nvme ,  a sata ssd, a sata nvme, and a mechanical hdd, everything is the same. i will try Linux as you suggested and report back.

First question that comes to mind is -how- you installed Windows. -Which- drivers you didn't install and why? Also, are you aware that Win10 install often doesn't end up installing number of X299 chipset related drivers unless you explicitly tell it to? Go to Windows Update settings, then look under Optional Drivers and make sure all drivers are installed and up to date.
    ZoranC
    FTW Member
    Re: x299 E295 and i7-7820x Bios 1.29 2021/06/15 11:20:39 (permalink)
    betopr
    i will try Linux as you suggested and report back.

If this will help: I don't know what is your Linux experience but I have very little experience with it and FWIW installing and using MX Linux was very easy. Moment install completed I was able to monitor system resources (monitor icon is in right corner of taskbar).
    ZoranC
    FTW Member
    Re: x299 E295 and i7-7820x Bios 1.29 2021/06/15 16:32:55 (permalink)
    I just realized there is one more thing I do that is different than others: I don't let Windows turn off power for certain devices. I go to Device Manager and in Power Management for these devices don't let Windows turn them off to save power:
    1. Universal Serial Bus controllers
    2. Human Interface Devices
    3. Keyboards
    4. Mice and other pointing devices
    5. Network adapters
    betopr
    Re: x299 E295 and i7-7820x Bios 1.29 2021/06/20 09:01:23 (permalink)
    ZoranC
    betopr

First question that comes to mind is -how- you installed Windows. -Which- drivers you didn't install and why? Also, are you aware that Win10 install often doesn't end up installing number of X299 chipset related drivers unless you explicitly tell it to? Go to Windows Update settings, then look under Optional Drivers and make sure all drivers are installed and up to date.

I installed fresh windows 10 to test on each drive and everything was the same result.
    ZoranC
    betopr
    i will try Linux as you suggested and report back.

If this will help: I don't know what is your Linux experience but I have very little experience with it and FWIW installing and using MX Linux was very easy. Moment install completed I was able to monitor system resources (monitor icon is in right corner of taskbar).

i didn't get to install Linux, what i did was downgrade the board bios one by one and then back to recent, took a while but when i downgraded to bios 1.18 and then make the  bios default state and then upgrade to bios 1.29 the latest for my e295 x299 seem to have fixed the problem. when i cold boot to windows on my old windows nvme installation the CPU is working normal. i enter bios and configured a few things (no overclock yet) everything remains  working fine. i hope it stays this way and if you try this on your side i hope it helps you.
    ZoranC
    FTW Member
    Re: x299 E295 and i7-7820x Bios 1.29 2021/06/20 09:46:22 (permalink)
    betopr
    i didn't get to install Linux, what i did was downgrade the board bios one by one and then back to recent, took a while but when i downgraded to bios 1.18 and then make the  bios default state and then upgrade to bios 1.29 the latest for my e295 x299 seem to have fixed the problem. when i cold boot to windows on my old windows nvme installation the CPU is working normal. i enter bios and configured a few things (no overclock yet) everything remains  working fine. i hope it stays this way and if you try this on your side i hope it helps you.

That is VERY interesting and good to know, thank you for sharing it. If I were you I would open the ticket with EVGA and see what they have to say about this behavior. Personally I have never had a problem after flashing BIOS without resetting to defaults first but to be fair to EVGA it is recommended one clears CMOS first before flashing to avoid chance of bad overclock resulting in bad update. Also, how you flashed it, from BIOS itself or from Windows?

In any case I'm glad to hear you resolved this.
    post edited by ZoranC - 2021/06/20 09:47:23
    betopr
    Re: x299 E295 and i7-7820x Bios 1.29 2021/06/20 12:17:37 (permalink)
    ZoranC
    betopr

That is VERY interesting and good to know, thank you for sharing it. If I were you I would open the ticket with EVGA and see what they have to say about this behavior. Personally I have never had a problem after flashing BIOS without resetting to defaults first but to be fair to EVGA it is recommended one clears CMOS first before flashing to avoid chance of bad overclock resulting in bad update. Also, how you flashed it, from BIOS itself or from Windows?

I flashed the bios from the bios using a flashdrive. Also i always reset bios to default before any flash since all i tend to setup is memory xmp and the cpu virtualization. Everything else is default.
    ZoranC
    FTW Member
    Re: x299 E295 and i7-7820x Bios 1.29 2021/06/20 12:21:49 (permalink)
    betopr
    ZoranC
    betopr

I flashed the bios from the bios using a flashdrive. Also i always reset bios to default before any flash since all i tend to setup is memory xmp and the cpu virtualization. Everything else is default.

Then I am scratching my head what about "when i downgraded to bios 1.18 and then make the  bios default state and then upgrade to bios 1.29 the latest for my e295 x299 seem to have fixed the problem" could've made a difference. Regardless, most important thing is that it seems to be working for you now so that is great :)
    Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile