EVGA

EVGA Z370 Classified K - 5VSB_LED issue.

Author
Athian
iCX Member
  • Total Posts : 352
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 2
2021/05/25 16:48:26 (permalink)
So, my APC UPS BR1500G may have damaged my motherboard. I was plugging in my alarm clock to it and it surged thus frying the alarm clock. Sadly my TV was also plugged int and it seems the surge traveled to it and from what I can tell, my motherboard as well. I bought another PSU to see if it fried that psu this giving me the 5VSB_LED. At one point the PE2_ERROR_LED and PE4_ERROR_LED were also lighting up, but after swapping out to the new psu. Those went away, but the cpu one came on once and after a restart it went away. So, my quest is. The motherboard LED stays on all the time now. Should I worry? And yes, I have contacted APC in regards to the damages.

Thank you for your time and have a nice day.

3 Replies Related Threads

bob16314
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    • Total Posts : 8048
    • Ribbons : 761
    Re: EVGA Z370 Classified K - 5VSB_LED issue. 2021/05/26 10:25:22 (permalink)
    +5VSB (Volts StandBy) from the PSU should be present at all times when the PSU is switched on.

+5VSB is, among other things, a 'keep alive' voltage that keeps your custom BIOS settings from returning to default settings when the CMOS battery is removed and the PSU is switched off..You could make a custom change in the BIOS, then turn off your PC, then remove the CMOS battery, then switch off (not unplug) the PSU, then switch on and start your PC and go into the BIOS and see if custom changes remain without the CMOS battery..If custom changes remain, the mobo is getting +5VSB in whole or in part..If BIOS settings revert to default, there's a problem with the 5VSB which could be a poor 24-pin connector connection (reseat it a few times) or a mobo problem.

You could also use a PSU Tester or a Digital Multimeter to check for +5VSB at the 24-pin Connector..The pinout diagram is shown as if you're looking into the end of the connector from the PSU.

If things check out OK and the +5VSB LED is still on, the mobo has an issue.

Should you worry?..Well, even though it probably wont hurt anything, it's not right.

* Corsair Obsidian 450D Mid-Tower - Airflow Edition * ASUS ROG Maximus X Hero (Wi-Fi AC) * Intel i7-8700K @ 5.0 GHz * 16GB G.SKILL Trident Z 4133MHz * Sabrent Rocket 1TB M.2 SSD * WD Black 500 GB HDD * Seasonic M12 II 750W * Corsair H115i Elite Capellix 280mm * EVGA GTX 760 SC * Win7 Home/Win10 Home * 

"Whatever it takes, as long as it works" - Me

Athian
    iCX Member
    • Total Posts : 352
    • Ribbons : 2
    Re: EVGA Z370 Classified K - 5VSB_LED issue. 2021/05/26 12:56:19 (permalink)
    bob16314
    +5VSB (Volts StandBy) from the PSU should be present at all times when the PSU is switched on.

+5VSB is, among other things, a 'keep alive' voltage that keeps your custom BIOS settings from returning to default settings when the CMOS battery is removed and the PSU is switched off..You could make a custom change in the BIOS, then turn off your PC, then remove the CMOS battery, then switch off (not unplug) the PSU, then switch on and start your PC and go into the BIOS and see if custom changes remain without the CMOS battery..If custom changes remain, the mobo is getting +5VSB in whole or in part..If BIOS settings revert to default, there's a problem with the 5VSB which could be a poor 24-pin connector connection (reseat it a few times) or a mobo problem.

You could also use a PSU Tester or a Digital Multimeter to check for +5VSB at the 24-pin Connector..The pinout diagram is shown as if you're looking into the end of the connector from the PSU.

If things check out OK and the +5VSB LED is still on, the mobo has an issue.

Should you worry?..Well, even though it probably wont hurt anything, it's not right.

Thank you, I will do some more testing and see what happens. Much appreciated.
    Wick3ed
    • Total Posts : 11
    • Ribbons : 0
    Re: EVGA Z370 Classified K - 5VSB_LED issue. 2021/06/02 18:42:53 (permalink)
    lucky
    Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile