EVGA

z10 RGB blacked out (but fully responsive)

Author
darkdante82
  • Total Posts : 4
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 0
2021/04/29 03:04:56 (permalink)
Hello!

I have a problem with my Z10 rgb (unleash 1.0.6.0). It has worked like a charm with my rig - just sometimes the lcd would reboot itself (showing the EVGA logo). otherwise it's fine.
Also the unleash software would prompt me for the bios update almost daily (the bios version didn't change after the flash, so I stopped accepting it).

Still, now after a system reboot, my z10 stays pitch black. No LCD, and no RGB lightning at all. No reboot nor usb port changing will fix the issue.
The keyboard  itself is working (I'm writing on it now), and the USB passthrough too (both usb ports are busy with USB stick and wireless mouse - no issues with them) - so it is not a power, nor USB port issue.
The bios flashing utility won't work - it shows the error message of no Z10 keyboard found. The Unleash RGB software (re)installs, and starts normally, but show only a blackscreen in place of my keyboard usual layout. (but there's no message of the keyboard  itself being not connected). Aida64 (which is my default LCD manager) sees the device, but spouts: Error: LCD feature report mismatch.

I supose either soemthing has fried (but would that completely fry all the LEDs?) or there's a need to flash it once again - but I can't or don't know how (bios package not recoginizing the device).
Any help would be appreciated. 
thanks!

2 Replies Related Threads

darkdante82
    • Total Posts : 4
    Re: z10 RGB blacked out (but fully responsive) 2021/05/01 09:41:17 (permalink)
    I've solved the problem myself, learning a bit in the process and putting some nitpicks into evga software.

The culprit was (most probably) a failed bios update (which probably didn't ask for my consent to be installed, but I can't be sure, as I've noted, the bios update popup goes regularly up regularly, and without newer bios installed).
    Still, it probably gimped the leds and LCD. 

SOLUTION. I've removed the Unleash RGB software form my PC. (it didn't see the KB anyway).
    I've installed the oldest available version (1.0.1.0) from the drivers page, and bam - it has deduced that in fact, there is a keyboard with unknown bios connected. It asked me to flash it, which i did, getting some old bios version. (1.13? not sure, don't quote me on that). Then I made factory reset (through unleashed options), and flashed in again, getting 1.16 bios. 
    Uninstalled Unleash, and installed it again with newest version (1.0.6.0). It has now recognized the Z10, and, guess, flashed it, getting to 1.17. 
    Working stable ever since.

So, in a nutshell - EVGA, please:
    - check the compatibility triggers in your software - it is  baffling why an old version recognizes the blanked device, while the newest does not.
    - check the factory reset packages that are connected to the FAQ about z10 LCD - they didn't recognize the keyboard at all, nor they recognize it now. Outdated versions? Bad IDs?
    - check the flashing utility in unleash RGB - as i've observed it sometimes reports the bios version as 0.00 and tries to flash it, which as we can see has a chance of breaking the device. It happens most often when the z10 is disconnected and then connected again. (I'm using KVM)

Hopefully it will help someone with a similar case of bricked (well, technically blacked out) z10 ;)

abdull74
    Superclocked Member
    • Total Posts : 103
    Re: z10 RGB blacked out (but fully responsive) 2021/05/14 04:23:50 (permalink)
    thank you for posting the solution

Keep it Simple
    Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile