EVGA

Helpful ReplyNoise under GPU load... Any solutions?

Author
AlecXVS
  • Total Posts : 7
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 0
2021/04/16 15:39:20 (permalink)
I just got the NU Audio Pro 7.1 and it's been great for consolidating my connections and providing good windows audio support and low latency. But I've had a few problems with it and this is the latest one. When I launch a game that fully utilizes my GPU, I hear a buzzing sound coming from all of my audio devices, whether the amps for them are enabled or not. It seems like somehow I'm getting the same interference on all of my outputs. Could it be the audio card picking up heavy interference? I'm not sure what I can do to try and mitigate this, besides getting an external audio interface.
tim62
  • Total Posts : 6
Re: Noise under GPU load... Any solutions? 2021/04/16 16:45:02 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby AlecXVS 2021/04/19 15:39:34
I have a similar issue(apart from random audio stuttering /cut offs etc) that are more pronounced through the rca Output than the headphone jack. I have an nc252 amd and elac speakers that sound noticeably buzzy during cyberpunk (and still do to a degree). Switching the computer power source to a wall outlet without anything connected to it helped somewhat. I have a r9 290 and z270 i5 set up. The buzzing is even audible(way less though) through an smsl sk10 connected by usb when gaming so make sure you get an non pc usb powered dac.

OS Name    Microsoft Windows 10 Pro
Version    10.0.18362 Build 18362
Processor    AMD Ryzen 5 1600 Six-Core Processor, 3825 Mhz, 6 Core(s), 6 Logical Processor(s)
BIOS Version/Date    American Megatrends Inc. 5008, 6/20/2019
SMBIOS Version    3.1
Embedded Controller Version    255.255
BIOS Mode    UEFI
BaseBoard Manufacturer    ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC.
BaseBoard Product    ROG STRIX B350-F GAMING
BaseBoard Version    Rev X.0x
Installed Physical Memory (RAM)    16.0 GB

ty_ger07
Insert Custom Title Here
  • Total Posts : 21174
  • Ribbons : 270
Re: Noise under GPU load... Any solutions? 2021/04/17 04:40:46 (permalink)
If you get an external DAC, you might as well sell the Nu Audio, since it won't be doing anything that you paid it to do. The optical out on the Nu Audio is just pass-through from your CPU, and your motherboard's optical out (if it has one) will sound identical; or you can find other options for an add-on optical output card (which will sound identical) for $50 or less.

As for the interference sound, there's not much you can do other than 1) try a different PSU connector, 2) try a different PSU, 3) try a different wall outlet, 4) physically move the cards in your PC case around so that they are as far apart as possible (buy a riser cable if necessary to maximize distance), 5) enable spread spectrum in your motherboard BIOS (if disabled) to reduce interference, 6) make sure that you are using metal motherboard standoffs, metal motherboard screws, metal PCI-E slot screws, metal motherboard IO plate, etcetera to optimize grounding, and 7) try to shield the GPU and/or Nu Audio card buy whatever safe methods you can think of.
post edited by ty_ger07 - 2021/04/17 04:46:08

ASRock Z77 • Intel Core i7 3770K • EVGA GTX 1080 • Samsung 850 Pro • Seasonic PRIME 600W Titanium
My EVGA Score: 1546 • Zero Associates Points • I don't shill

AlecXVS
Re: Noise under GPU load... Any solutions? 2021/04/17 10:41:10 (permalink)
ty_ger07
If you get an external DAC, you might as well sell the Nu Audio, since it won't be doing anything that you paid it to do. The optical out on the Nu Audio is just pass-through from your CPU, and your motherboard's optical out (if it has one) will sound identical; or you can find other options for an add-on optical output card (which will sound identical) for $50 or less.

As for the interference sound, there's not much you can do other than 1) try a different PSU connector, 2) try a different PSU, 3) try a different wall outlet, 4) physically move the cards in your PC case around so that they are as far apart as possible (buy a riser cable if necessary to maximize distance), 5) enable spread spectrum in your motherboard BIOS (if disabled) to reduce interference, 6) make sure that you are using metal motherboard standoffs, metal motherboard screws, metal PCI-E slot screws, metal motherboard IO plate, etcetera to optimize grounding, and 7) try to shield the GPU and/or Nu Audio card buy whatever safe methods you can think of.

I'm still within my return window, I've had the card less than a week. Although I don't use the optical out, one of the main reasons for going with the Nu Audio was being able to use headphones and 7.1 without messing with plugs. And having a decent line-in. I might have trouble finding an external DAC/sound card that can do all of that.

Regardless, I did some testing with moving cards around to different slots. I do have a few PCI and PCI-E slots. Previous arrangement was CPU block, [free space], NU Audio, 7.1 expansion, [free space], GPU ...
I arranged it like: CPU block, [free space], GPU, [free space], 7.1 expansion, [free space], NU Audio, PSU
Now I don't hear any GPU noise in my headphones. But I still hear it in the 7.1 output. I wonder if it's distance related or if the 7.1 card is blocking the interference, and by putting an extra space between it and the main card, in turn I've shielded the main card from interference. Seems like a bit of a stretch.

I enabled spread spectrum today but the noise just sounds slightly different now.

tim62
I have a similar issue(apart from random audio stuttering /cut offs etc) that are more pronounced through the rca Output than the headphone jack. I have an nc252 amd and elac speakers that sound noticeably buzzy during cyberpunk (and still do to a degree). Switching the computer power source to a wall outlet without anything connected to it helped somewhat. I have a r9 290 and z270 i5 set up. The buzzing is even audible(way less though) through an smsl sk10 connected by usb when gaming so make sure you get an non pc usb powered dac.

I'm starting to think it's more related to the RCA outputs, actually. That might be the key. If I unplug the front speakers from my 5.1 system, the noise stops. But with the other speakers plugged in, I still get audio. There must be some kind of interference being introduced to ground because the audio to the front speakers seems to add noise to all of the speakers. I also get random cut offs that behave similarly to the audio device restarting/reconnecting. Either my card is flaking out or there's a driver issue there.
AlecXVS
Re: Noise under GPU load... Any solutions? 2021/04/17 11:09:12 (permalink)
I used a ground loop isolator that I had for my line-in and the noise is almost completely gone at reasonable levels. If I crank up my 5.1 system to max volume it's barely audible. And I don't have a noticeable loss of volume otherwise using the isolator. I wonder if the RCA outputs just have a really bad ground problem or is allowing ground noise where the other outputs don't. Because the headphones output and the side/center outputs don't have any of this buzzing noise. I'm considering this tentatively solved but I would be interested to know if this is something that could be resolved with a revision of the hardware. I still have other issues like the aforementioned driver issue and some ASIO weirdness that's keeping me on the fence.

Veratu
Superclocked Member
  • Total Posts : 154
  • Ribbons : 1
Re: Noise under GPU load... Any solutions? 2021/04/19 08:34:51 (permalink)
I had this same issue, it wasn't as bad on a 20 series NVidia card, but on the 30 series card it was unreal.  The issue was just electromagnetic interference, I moved the sound card to a lower slot on the motherboard that was further away from the video card and the problem went away.  Another thing you could do is try a PCI-E Riser card if you don't have another slot that's far enough away, use the riser card to get the sound card physically away from the GPU.
AlecXVS
Re: Noise under GPU load... Any solutions? 2021/04/19 15:42:17 (permalink)
Veratu
I had this same issue, it wasn't as bad on a 20 series NVidia card, but on the 30 series card it was unreal.  The issue was just electromagnetic interference, I moved the sound card to a lower slot on the motherboard that was further away from the video card and the problem went away.  Another thing you could do is try a PCI-E Riser card if you don't have another slot that's far enough away, use the riser card to get the sound card physically away from the GPU.

I don't think I have room for a riser, unfortunately. If I find some kind of shield wall I can put in a free PCI slot, I might try that. Given that it's only affecting the RCA outputs on the main card which is like three slots away from the GPU... I'm not sure it's currently an ambient interference issue
Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile