EVGA

GPU / Driver crashing regularly after Motherboard/CPU upgrade

Author
shadowsgleam
  • Total Posts : 7
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 0
2021/04/10 12:55:39 (permalink)
I have an issue that just started popping up with a new motherboard/cpu combo. Randomly I just get a gpu crash, my usb devices restart and my screens go black for a couple seconds and then it recovers. After this event viewer shows that the following has occured;

The description for Event ID 14 from source nvlddmkm cannot be found. Either the component that raises this event is not installed on your local computer or the installation is corrupted. You can install or repair the component on the local computer.
If the event originated on another computer, the display information had to be saved with the event.
The following information was included with the event: 
\Device\000000ab
0d20(31cc) 00000000 00000000
The message resource is present but the message was not found in the message table

Followed by;
Display driver nvlddmkm stopped responding and has successfully recovered.

The only changes I've made is I replaced my motherboard and CPU with new stuff since mine were a little older. I've tried all software related fixes I could find, I started with DDU and reinstall of the driver, I went back to an older driver that I know worked to try that, I even tried a registry edit of the Tdrdelay from 2 to 10. None of that helped. So then I moved on to hardware issues and I thought maybe the PCI-E slot was problematic and I moved the GPU to the other PCI-E slot on the board to try that. That also didn't fix the problem it still continues to crash every 15-45 minutes.
However, while it was in this slot I opened EVGA Precision X1 (Which always forces a crash to happen immediately) and it offered an ICX Firmware update (I think that is what it said - it was definitely a firmware of some sort) and I agreed to install it. The GPU turned off all the RGB and there were only 3 red LEDs where the PCIE 8PINs plug in and the fans ramped up. Once it was installed the system was no longer crashing. So I thought - awesome that firmware fixed it whatever it did. I stress tested it for 6 hours without a single crash and it was great, normally it had been crashing every 15-45 minutes without fail. So then I moved the GPU back to the original PCI-E slot because the top slot actually allows room for it to breathe, the other slot puts the fans like right onto the Power supply enclosure. Once I put it back into the other PCI-E slot now the crashes are back. EVGA Precision forces the crashes again whereas it did not after I installed that firmware in the other slot. The event viewer lists the following for when I did the firmware update;

A service was installed in the system.
Service Name: Driver
Service File Name: C:\Program Files\EVGA\Precision X1\driver-x64.sys
Service Type: kernel mode driver
Service Start Type: demand start
Service Account:

Is there anyway to replicate whatever this did in the other slot? I'm hoping that someone can help me figure out a way to fix this issue - I never had a single issue in my old motherboard and I don't think I've ever had to install a GPU firmware update before either.

8 Replies Related Threads

kougar
    CLASSIFIED Member
    • Total Posts : 3034
    • Ribbons : 22
    Re: GPU / Driver crashing regularly after Motherboard/CPU upgrade 2021/04/10 17:49:44 (permalink)
    You need to verify that your new system is in fact stable. Test your CPU and RAM specifically, but be sure to keep on eye on your CPU temperatures as you do. https://www.ocbase.com/ GPU drivers often are the most frequent thing to start crashing when a system is unstable. 

Have water, will cool. 
    davevt31
    FTW Member
    • Total Posts : 1130
    • Ribbons : 7
    Re: GPU / Driver crashing regularly after Motherboard/CPU upgrade 2021/04/10 18:13:25 (permalink)
    Did you do a fresh install or just boot with an existing drive?

Make sure you install the chipset drivers for the board.

shadowsgleam
    Re: GPU / Driver crashing regularly after Motherboard/CPU upgrade 2021/04/10 19:09:16 (permalink)
    I did a fresh install of windows and I already installed all relevant drivers, chipset included.

I downloaded the software that you suggested Kougar and I'm going to run some tests now.
    shadowsgleam
    Re: GPU / Driver crashing regularly after Motherboard/CPU upgrade 2021/04/10 20:00:13 (permalink)
    I completed a CPU test and the temps seemed reasonable. Nothing went higher than 71c and it stayed closer to 60c most of the test.

Running a memory test now.
    davevt31
    FTW Member
    • Total Posts : 1130
    • Ribbons : 7
    Re: GPU / Driver crashing regularly after Motherboard/CPU upgrade 2021/04/10 20:52:15 (permalink)
    I have read in some other threads that if you have multiple programs that can control RGB functions that this can those types of errors.

shadowsgleam
    Re: GPU / Driver crashing regularly after Motherboard/CPU upgrade 2021/04/11 07:44:23 (permalink)
    I ran the memory test and of course it crashed partway through - but I'm honestly surprised it didn't crash during the CPU test. It crashed 10 times overnight as well. I looked at the voltages during the tests and the 12v, 5v, and 3v rails are all solid.

Dave, I've definitely got multiple but I had the same exact programs installed in the previous windows installation on the old motherboard/cpu setup.

The thing that really puzzles me is the fact that I was able to get the system stable for 6 hours after Precision installed some random firmware.

I'm going to take a second pass on verifying everything is seated well but I really don't think that is the issue.
    HeavyHemi
    Insert Custom Title Here
    • Total Posts : 15665
    • Ribbons : 135
    Re: GPU / Driver crashing regularly after Motherboard/CPU upgrade 2021/04/11 13:14:45 (permalink)
    shadowsgleam
    I ran the memory test and of course it crashed partway through - but I'm honestly surprised it didn't crash during the CPU test. It crashed 10 times overnight as well. I looked at the voltages during the tests and the 12v, 5v, and 3v rails are all solid.

Dave, I've definitely got multiple but I had the same exact programs installed in the previous windows installation on the old motherboard/cpu setup.

The thing that really puzzles me is the fact that I was able to get the system stable for 6 hours after Precision installed some random firmware.

I'm going to take a second pass on verifying everything is seated well but I really don't think that is the issue.

From your description of odd stability issues that change, differing performance between PCIe slots and possible memory issues, I would consider checking the CPU socket and reseating the CPU.

EVGA X99 FTWK / i7 6850K @ 4.5ghz / RTX 3080Ti FTW Ultra / 32GB Corsair LPX 3600mhz / Samsung 850Pro 256GB / Be Quiet BN516 Straight Power 12-1000w 80 Plus Platinum / Window 10 Pro

kougar
    CLASSIFIED Member
    • Total Posts : 3034
    • Ribbons : 22
    Re: GPU / Driver crashing regularly after Motherboard/CPU upgrade 2021/04/11 19:01:32 (permalink)
    shadowsgleam

That's why there's no single test, some tests are designed to run inside the CPU without ever polling to RAM at all. You can try Memtest86 (86 or 86+ whichever) and run that to be sure you have unstable RAM. But it sounds like that's the problem. If you used multiple kits of RAM you will need to manually tune the settings yourself. If it's a single "kit" then make sure XMP is enabled... if it is, then try using a lower speed profile. 

What's your full system specs?

Have water, will cool. 
    Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile