EVGA

I found the Nu Audio card for 150 on Amazon buuuut...

Author
jared030858
  • Total Posts : 5
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 0
2021/04/03 18:29:14 (permalink)
There are LOADS of reviews there and elsewhere on the web about smoking cards. And frying motherboards. Was that ever sorted out? Any official communique? 

post edited by jared030858 - 2021/04/03 18:44:25

12 Replies Related Threads

cyber44030
    • Total Posts : 56
    • Ribbons : 3
    Re: I found the Nu Audio card for 150 on Amazon buuuut... 2021/04/03 20:53:51 (permalink)
    I have owned mine for over a year now and have not had a single issue with it. This is also the first time I ever heard of them smoking. I am very active on this forum and never seen a single issue regarding that. Amazon reviews are very inaccurate and filled with bot reviews. Competitors also will post poor or misleading reviews on their competitions products to discourage people from buying their products. Personally If you are going to buy one it would be your best bet to purchase directly from EVGA's Store. The only known issues with the card is EVGA's Drivers for the card its self. Not installing Nahimic's software when installing the drivers seem to solve most problems.
    jfw06013
    SSC Member
    • Total Posts : 586
    • Ribbons : 4
    Re: I found the Nu Audio card for 150 on Amazon buuuut... 2021/04/04 13:13:18 (permalink)
    I bought my card from EVGA when they first came out, no problems at all.

Dabadger84
    CLASSIFIED Member
    • Total Posts : 3426
    • Ribbons : 10
    Re: I found the Nu Audio card for 150 on Amazon buuuut... 2021/04/04 22:28:58 (permalink)
    Do proper research before purchasing something like this, not Amazon reviews.  Do Google searches, and look at forum posts & the like about the product.  As someone else said, Amazon reviews can be extremely misleading, sometimes they're on point, other times they're completely BS.  I.E. the Corsair headset I ended up having to return recently had a few bad reviews with an issue I ended up having almost immediately. There were also over 50 posts on Corsair's very own forums about the issue and the fact that over a year and a half later, it was not resolved - I wish I'd done the research then that I now do before buying pretty much anything.

You can't even trust most YouTube reviewers these days - Hardware Canucks gave a glowing review to the very headset I ended up returning, which to me means they either didn't use the headset very long, got lucky didn't get one that had the issue, or their review is just plain BS, not sure which of those is the case, but long story short, I made it a point from then on to always do plenty of research before buying something that I'm planning to use for years & putting a good chunk of money in to.  Which applies to pretty much all PC hardware these days except mice.

ModRigs: https://www.modsrigs.com/detail.aspx?BuildID=42891  
    Specs:
    5950x @ 4.7GHz 1.3V - Asus Crosshair VIII Hero - eVGA 1200W P2 - 4x8GB G.Skill Trident Z Royal Silver @ 3800 CL14
    Gigabyte RTX 4090 Gaming OC w/ Core: 2850MHz @ 1000mV, Mem: +1500MHz - Samsung Odyssey G9 49" Super-Ultrawide 240Hz Monitor

MSim
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    • Total Posts : 14685
    • Ribbons : 38
    Re: I found the Nu Audio card for 150 on Amazon buuuut... 2021/04/05 10:19:41 (permalink)
    cyber44030
    I have owned mine for over a year now and have not had a single issue with it. This is also the first time I ever heard of them smoking. I am very active on this forum and never seen a single issue regarding that. Amazon reviews are very inaccurate and filled with bot reviews. Competitors also will post poor or misleading reviews on their competitions products to discourage people from buying their products. Personally If you are going to buy one it would be your best bet to purchase directly from EVGA's Store. The only known issues with the card is EVGA's Drivers for the card its self. Not installing Nahimic's software when installing the drivers seem to solve most problems.

EVGA store the better place?

Amazon customer service is better and has better return policy, on top of that it's cheaper and has faster shipping. If you need to return it, free return shipping, with in 12/24hrs of dropping it off at a UPS store, Amazon starts the refund.

Dabadger84
    Do proper research before purchasing something like this, not Amazon reviews.  Do Google searches, and look at forum posts & the like about the product.  As someone else said, Amazon reviews can be extremely misleading, sometimes they're on point, other times they're completely BS.  I.E. the Corsair headset I ended up having to return recently had a few bad reviews with an issue I ended up having almost immediately. There were also over 50 posts on Corsair's very own forums about the issue and the fact that over a year and a half later, it was not resolved - I wish I'd done the research then that I now do before buying pretty much anything.

You can't even trust most YouTube reviewers these days - Hardware Canucks gave a glowing review to the very headset I ended up returning, which to me means they either didn't use the headset very long, got lucky didn't get one that had the issue, or their review is just plain BS, not sure which of those is the case, but long story short, I made it a point from then on to always do plenty of research before buying something that I'm planning to use for years & putting a good chunk of money in to.  Which applies to pretty much all PC hardware these days except mice.

+1

Most hardware "reviewers" on youtube give fluff reviews for the free product. When NU Audio first came out, evga offered customers the chance to win up to 250 evgabucks for writing a review on here. That tainted every review posted on here. People had an incentive to write a fluff review for chance to win.

jared030858
    • Total Posts : 5
    Re: I found the Nu Audio card for 150 on Amazon buuuut... 2021/04/05 14:49:33 (permalink)
    (Oh I put a link here in the original post, oh well it was some guy in Taiwan that hooked up the wrong cable, smoked his card instantly and posted on these forums asking what the hell happened)
    Found out he was using a ****e SATA cable. Makes sense why so many others were saying the same. They were using incorrect cables or plugging them into a MOLEX modular connection on the power supply.

So I got the card. I'm extremely disappointed out of the box. The Asus Xonar DG I had in another computer sounded waaaaaaaay better than this with the EXACT same DT990 Pro 80ohms. From the on board audio on my Asus X570 TUF PLUS, it sounds practically the same in terms of soundstage and clarity. I've been using AC/DCs Back in Black for testing purposes. I'm still screwing with the EQ settings and troubleshooting. However if someone has some advice as to what the hell is going on please tell me.

I don't have HD820s but I expected an appreciable improvement over a midrange mobo.

Cause I don't think I should see a quality comparison that looks like this

$40 Asus Xonar DG > Mid-range X570 Realtek AL1200S? = MSRP $250 Nu Audio > Asus Mobo from 2014

I'm trying to come up with reasons, maybe I need to let it burn in?? Or I should switch to my Logitech z906 to see if there's a noticeable improvement there.
    post edited by jared030858 - 2021/04/05 15:22:46
    MSim
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    • Total Posts : 14685
    • Ribbons : 38
    Re: I found the Nu Audio card for 150 on Amazon buuuut... 2021/04/06 03:07:47 (permalink)
    @Jarred030858, Does NU Audio software have headphone gain like Creative Command software? Make sure it's set for your headphones.  If you're still unhappy, send it back. Most gamers are happy with onboard audio solution.

I think the Logitech z906 5.1 surround system has it's own encoding built in, no sound card will improve the audio.

(Creative Command Audio software)

Hoggle
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 10102
    • Ribbons : 4
    Re: I found the Nu Audio card for 150 on Amazon buuuut... 2021/04/06 05:01:11 (permalink)
    I have been running an NU audio on my computer, my girlfriends and my parents and never had a problem and think they sound really good on my Pro Media speakers.

Use an Associates Code & SAVE 5% - 10% on your purchase. Just click on the associates banner to save, or enter the associates code at checkout on your next purchase. If you choose to use my code I want to personally say "Thank You" for using it. 

LCaldas
    • Total Posts : 69
    • Ribbons : 1
    Re: I found the Nu Audio card for 150 on Amazon buuuut... 2021/04/07 16:56:35 (permalink)
    "I have owned mine for over a year now and have not had a single issue with it"
    same as you.
    thekraken8him
    • Total Posts : 10
    Re: I found the Nu Audio card for 150 on Amazon buuuut... 2021/04/12 07:43:53 (permalink)
    I haven't had mine for too long, but no, it didn't smoke or damage my motherboard.

If someone is having fires/smoke/physical damage inside their case, it's likely they are using bad/wrong cables from the power supply.
    man114
    • Total Posts : 46
    Re: I found the Nu Audio card for 150 on Amazon buuuut... 2021/04/21 18:48:06 (permalink)
    I have 5 of them now. Two in computers that spend much of their time up, the oldest ones for quite some time, never had an issue.
    zuberch
    • Total Posts : 23
    Re: I found the Nu Audio card for 150 on Amazon buuuut... 2021/04/27 19:41:02 (permalink)
    hmm i was about to get it... i will look it up
    DIRTRAT11
    • Total Posts : 27
    Re: I found the Nu Audio card for 150 on Amazon buuuut... 2021/05/02 20:21:36 (permalink)
    To the OP, I've had mine since November and its been perfect! BTW you can definitely get better prices on this direct from EVGA. Wait for their sales and coupon codes to buy. I bought mine direct for $116.99 before tax.

Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile