EVGA

GTX 980 Ti Classified - High Temps, pad sizes?

Author
Aiikon
  • Total Posts : 3
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 0
2021/04/02 21:44:04 (permalink)
Like many people I waited too long to replace my GTX 980 Ti. I've been getting hard reboots and some stuttering after an hour or so gaming. Temperatures are ~82 C on the GPU and ~70 C on the CPU. CPU-Z says the GPU fan speed is only 60% but its being thermally throttled.

That's too hot for the GPU right? I figured I'd get artifacts or other crashes, not hard reboots, but... The PSU is from 2014 but is 1000W so I assume it still has some head room. The only other thing could be the motherboard and CPU, bought together about 10 years ago (i7-2600k). This year feels like a bad one to buy a new computer that'll last.

I've done the usual air dusting everything out and already replaced the paste on the CPU. I was thinking of replacing the thermal paste and pads on the GPU but I'm not clear on the pad sizes. A recent EVGA Q&A says they're always 1mm but a forum post from the era said 0.5mm. And I'm not sure what amount to get. Does anyone know? GTX 980 Ti 06G-P4-4998-KR 6GB CLASSIFIED.

I'd appreciate any tips on reseating the heat sink too. Thanks!

4 Replies Related Threads

Cool GTX
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 30975
    • Ribbons : 122
    Re: GTX 980 Ti Classified - High Temps, pad sizes? 2021/04/03 14:21:50 (permalink)
    Welcome to the EVGA Forums

You have to tell us about all of the hardware, including Case, case fans (size, speed, blow In or Out) & room temp - so we can better understand

if only GPU temps are high - change TIM between cooler & GPU

Run GPU-Z to see what card is doing while test is Running

Test with fans @ 100% & case fans @ 100%

Test with side removed from case & a small house (box) fan blowing into your open case

Learn your way around the EVGA Forums, Rules & limits on new accounts Ultimate Self-Starter Thread For New Members

I am a Volunteer Moderator - not an EVGA employee

https://foldingathome.org -->become a citizen scientist and contribute your compute power to help fight global health threats

RTX Project EVGA X99 FTWK Nibbler EVGA X99 Classified EVGA 3080Ti FTW3 Ultra

Aiikon
    Re: GTX 980 Ti Classified - High Temps, pad sizes? 2021/04/03 19:39:53 (permalink)
    The case is a Coolermaster Cosmos S. The 200mm fan on the side sucks air in and two 80mm fans on the top push it out. The CPU cooler is the low profile stock one (I always meant to get a larger heatsink but the CPU is near the end of its life now). Ambient temperatures are around 75 F and there's plenty of space around the case. I do need to get a few new 80mm fans as these are starting to wear out and I could be using the rear and bottom mounts, so that's a good reminder. I've assumed since I only run one GPU and don't overclock my CPU anymore that I didn't need the airflow.

The GPU temps are what I was trying to understand more about. I meant to say I was using GPU-Z, and it says it's thermally throttled at 83 C. That is pretty hot for a GPU right? I did play with EVGA Precision to throttle at 79 C and that seems to help stability in the one short session I've been able to play so far.

Regarding replacing the TIM, I thought if I popped off the GPU cooler that I would have to replace the pads over the RAM as well and I wasn't sure what to get; is that not the case?
    Cool GTX
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 30975
    • Ribbons : 122
    Re: GTX 980 Ti Classified - High Temps, pad sizes? 2021/04/07 09:16:37 (permalink)
    92 C is the max GPU temp listed by Nvidia

ACX coolers dump most of the cards heat into the case ... you need good airflow

That case support 120mm fans ?

look at the photos of this 980 Ti Classified with cooler removed  EVGA GTX 980 Ti Classified Graphics Card Review   

If you only remove the 4 spring screws, then the thermal pads should not be exposed

FAQ # 59738

What thickness are the thermal pads on my graphics card?Last Update: 2020/04/08 09:39

If you choose to replace the thermal pads on your graphics card, you will want to use thermal pads which are 1.0mm thick. This is the same for all of our graphics cards regardless of the generation. Typically, thermal pads come in packs of strips and then you would want to cut them down to the length you need.

However the Geforce GTX 1080Ti FTW3 and EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti K|NGP|N have different thicknesses for thermal pads around the card

The thicknesses can vary by .25mm without any issues on the replacement pads
    • The ones on the underside of the baseplate, which contact components on the PCB, are all 1.25mm in thickness.
    • The ones on the top of the baseplate, which contact the heatsink are 0.75mm and 0.25mm, 2 of each.
    • The ones on the backplate are all 2.0mm thick except for the square one on the back of the GPU die, which is 0.75mm thick.

Learn your way around the EVGA Forums, Rules & limits on new accounts Ultimate Self-Starter Thread For New Members

I am a Volunteer Moderator - not an EVGA employee

https://foldingathome.org -->become a citizen scientist and contribute your compute power to help fight global health threats

RTX Project EVGA X99 FTWK Nibbler EVGA X99 Classified EVGA 3080Ti FTW3 Ultra

Aiikon
    Re: GTX 980 Ti Classified - High Temps, pad sizes? 2021/05/04 19:47:05 (permalink)
    Thank you. Sorry for the super late response. Yes you're right they're 120mm fan on top, not 80mm, I wasn't paying attention. I've been running them higher and it's helped; I'll replace some of the missing ones soon. Thank you for the link showing the cooler removed too!
    Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile