EVGA

Nu Audio Pro game settings

Author
Neutralus
  • Total Posts : 6
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 0
2021/03/07 08:46:38 (permalink)
Anyone know what the best settings for gaming is with headphones?  I have Sennheiser HD660S headphones but any settings I use have limited benefit.  I would love to use the 7.1 surround sound but when I do the voices in game from NPCs are very very weak and can barely hear.  I've had to down grade it to 2 channel just to get decent audio.   How do I max this thing out for great surround sound but also great NPC voice volume?

6 Replies Related Threads

Daviddswenson
    Superclocked Member
    • Total Posts : 159
    Re: Nu Audio Pro game settings 2021/03/09 19:06:03 (permalink)
    Probably going to be a combination of settings also dependent on the game you’re playing. When you’re referring to settings what do you mean?

EVGA Z590 FTW
    1000W G5
    EK AIO Elite 360
    1TB WD_Black SN750
    Lian Li O11 Dynamic

12G-P5-3968-KR 6/3/2021 8:02:05 AM PT No
    12G-P5-3967-KR 6/3/2021 7:44:09 AM PT Yes
    BizSAR
    EGC Lead Admin / EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 1712
    Re: Nu Audio Pro game settings 2021/03/10 11:32:05 (permalink)
    Where are you setting the option for 7.1 surround? In-game?
    The Sennheiser HD660S headphones are not surround headphones. That means you can only use virtual surround with them. There are a number of virtual surround options available, but the best/quickest is the one built-in to the Nu Audio software. On the software's main page, you'll see the surround option towards the bottom in the section named 'Audio Effect'. Just click on the circle there to enable. In your game, you'll want to set it to 'headphones' or two channel audio (in combination with the Nu Audio software setting I mentioned) for the best effect.

BizSAR
    EVGA 3090Ti FTW3 Ultra / ZOTAC 4070Ti Trinity OC - ASUS ROG PG279QM
    Neutralus
    • Total Posts : 6
    Re: Nu Audio Pro game settings 2021/03/12 19:06:04 (permalink)
    That was something I had tried. Two problems. The voice dialog of an npc was very faint compared to area noise. You can hardly understand what their saying. Second the surround sound was inaccurate. I can hear someone behind me while they're actually in front of me. I would reflexively look back even though I know they can't be there.
    ty_ger07
    Insert Custom Title Here
    • Total Posts : 21171
    • Ribbons : 270
    Re: Nu Audio Pro game settings 2021/03/12 19:17:51 (permalink)
    Virtual surround is consistently terrible, as you noted.  Don't do that. ;)  The positional stereo that the game developers spend a lot of time and money creating is WAY BETTER than any 3rd-party virtual surround run-amok. Virtual surround is out-of-engine and is an interpreted guess, by people who didn't make the game, of where the sounds may be coming from.  That interpretation/guess is so, so, so often wrong.  Imagine it this way: close your eyes, listen to the game, and then repeat the sounds to someone else and tell them where the sounds are coming from.  That is effectively what virtual surround is doing.  It is operating in the blind and altering the positional information of the audio for who knows what reason.  It's crazy.  The stereo that the game developers incorporate into the game is in-engine and is based on a knowledge of where the sounds are known to be; it is consistently more accurate and consistently better.
    If the game doesn't support surround, just use stereo.  Every time.  Never use virtual surround.
    Edit: Your headphones are stereo headphones.  Use stereo.  Virtual surround is garbage.
    post edited by ty_ger07 - 2021/03/12 23:34:33

ASRock Z77 • Intel Core i7 3770K • EVGA GTX 1080 • Samsung 850 Pro • Seasonic PRIME 600W Titanium
    My EVGA Score: 1546 • Zero Associates Points • I don't shill

Vivicector
    • Total Posts : 70
    • Ribbons : 1
    Re: Nu Audio Pro game settings 2021/03/13 07:52:56 (permalink)
    Neutralus
    Anyone know what the best settings for gaming is with headphones?  I have Sennheiser HD660S headphones but any settings I use have limited benefit.  I would love to use the 7.1 surround sound but when I do the voices in game from NPCs are very very weak and can barely hear.  I've had to down grade it to 2 channel just to get decent audio.   How do I max this thing out for great surround sound but also great NPC voice volume?

Don't use multichannel setup AND virtual surround at once. Virtual surround is for stereo setups and it will emulate the virtual channels for the game without your involvement. By using the 7.1 setup in the card with stereo headphones, you tell the system to redirect part of the sound to non-existent acoustics. So you loose that sounds at all. The virtual 7.1 only works with incoming stereo anyway. 
    That being said, games usually have pretty nice sound positioning by themselves. If you need more, go for Windows spatial sound, with engines like Dolby Atmor or DTS:X. They are great and are supported by most modern games.
    The audio compressor is the thing I found useful, if you can tolerate its side effects of terrible sound and loss of distance positioning. It helps to detect very weak sounds and may help in games.
    BizSAR
    EGC Lead Admin / EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 1712
    Re: Nu Audio Pro game settings 2021/03/13 17:50:50 (permalink)
    As you've likely figured out by now, virtual surround effectiveness is quite subjective. You have various options at your disposal (Nu Audio, Windows, in-game). Try them all out and go with what YOU like best. 🙂 Just don't use more than one at once.

BizSAR
    EVGA 3090Ti FTW3 Ultra / ZOTAC 4070Ti Trinity OC - ASUS ROG PG279QM
    Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile