EVGA

Is it worth it to upgrade or add more RAM?

Author
SeeTheFuzz
  • Total Posts : 9
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 0
2021/02/25 20:18:06 (permalink)
Hi everyone. I just built my first machine back in November (thanks in large part to Midweek Madness coming through with a 2080 Super) and I currently have 16 GB of G.Skill Trident Z Royal DDR4-3600 RAM. Newegg has 10% off all G.Skill RAM until the end of 2/26, so I'm debating if it's worth it to grab two more sticks or just switch to 2x16 GB.

Note: RAM is still one of the components that I'm still trying to learn more about and really understand, so I would definitely appreciate any helpful advice or experience you have.

Thanks so much!

8 Replies Related Threads

Bobmitch
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    • Total Posts : 8328
    • Ribbons : 47
    Re: Is it worth it to upgrade or add more RAM? 2021/02/25 20:52:41 (permalink)
    Might be cheaper if you add two more sticks of what you currently have.  Just make sure that it is the same model memory sticks

MSI MAG X670-E Tomahawk;  Ryzen 7 7800X3D; Asus TUF RTX 4070 TI OC; Seasonic Vertex GX-1000 PSU; 32 GB  Corsair Vengeance DDR5-6000 RGB; Corsair iCue Link H150i RGB 360MM AIO; 2-Western Digital Black 4 TB SN850X NVMe; Creative SoundBlaster Z;  Lian Li Lancool III; EVGA Z15 Keyboard; Razer Viper 8K Mouse

Heatware:  http://www.heatware.com/eval.php?id=72402    Affiliate code: 1L2RV0BNQ6                                          
    Associate Code:  UD82LJP3Y1FIQPR

Dabadger84
    CLASSIFIED Member
    • Total Posts : 3426
    • Ribbons : 10
    Re: Is it worth it to upgrade or add more RAM? 2021/02/25 20:59:38 (permalink)
    What are the rest of your system specs?  Some motherboards perform worse or better with 4 sticks vs 2, depending on the way the RAM interface is configured on the given motherboard/chipset setup.
    As a for instance, my motherboard in particular prefers 4-sticks being installed - The RAM will OC better & there's less "noise" in the power & information systems with all DIMMs populated, that sort of layout is called T-Topology.  Most of the newer motherboards have Daisy-Chain style RAM configurations, meaning it will clock/perform better with only 2 DIMMs installed - which is why the eVGA Dark series only has 2 slots, there can't be any noise from 2 empty slots if there are only 2 slots :-P

If you can list your CPU, Motherboard, and any other information you want to share about the system, that would help figure out what the better options are for you.

Most likely, upgrading to 4 sticks is going to be the better/cheaper option, unless the 2x16GB kit is a better price/performance ratio & you have someone willing to buy your current RAM off you.

ModRigs: https://www.modsrigs.com/detail.aspx?BuildID=42891  
    Specs:
    5950x @ 4.7GHz 1.3V - Asus Crosshair VIII Hero - eVGA 1200W P2 - 4x8GB G.Skill Trident Z Royal Silver @ 3800 CL14
    Gigabyte RTX 4090 Gaming OC w/ Core: 2850MHz @ 1000mV, Mem: +1500MHz - Samsung Odyssey G9 49" Super-Ultrawide 240Hz Monitor

SeeTheFuzz
    Re: Is it worth it to upgrade or add more RAM? 2021/02/25 21:54:34 (permalink)
    Dabadger84
    What are the rest of your system specs?  Some motherboards perform worse or better with 4 sticks vs 2, depending on the way the RAM interface is configured on the given motherboard/chipset setup.
    As a for instance, my motherboard in particular prefers 4-sticks being installed - The RAM will OC better & there's less "noise" in the power & information systems with all DIMMs populated, that sort of layout is called T-Topology.  Most of the newer motherboards have Daisy-Chain style RAM configurations, meaning it will clock/perform better with only 2 DIMMs installed - which is why the eVGA Dark series only has 2 slots, there can't be any noise from 2 empty slots if there are only 2 slots :-P

If you can list your CPU, Motherboard, and any other information you want to share about the system, that would help figure out what the better options are for you.

Most likely, upgrading to 4 sticks is going to be the better/cheaper option, unless the 2x16GB kit is a better price/performance ratio & you have someone willing to buy your current RAM off you.

I'm running a Ryzen 3 3700X with an ASUS ROG Strix X570-E. The information you gave here is SUPER helpful, so thanks for giving me that bit of knowledge. Definitely would love your opinions on 2 or 4 sticks for my setup.
    Hoggle
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 10102
    • Ribbons : 4
    Re: Is it worth it to upgrade or add more RAM? 2021/02/25 22:40:56 (permalink)
    It depends on the cost difference but 2x16GB would be better then 4X8GB sticks.

Use an Associates Code & SAVE 5% - 10% on your purchase. Just click on the associates banner to save, or enter the associates code at checkout on your next purchase. If you choose to use my code I want to personally say "Thank You" for using it. 

Dabadger84
    CLASSIFIED Member
    • Total Posts : 3426
    • Ribbons : 10
    Re: Is it worth it to upgrade or add more RAM? 2021/02/26 00:14:05 (permalink)
    SeeTheFuzz
    Dabadger84

I'm running a Ryzen 3 3700X with an ASUS ROG Strix X570-E. The information you gave here is SUPER helpful, so thanks for giving me that bit of knowledge. Definitely would love your opinions on 2 or 4 sticks for my setup.

I think almost all X570 motherboards are Daisy Chain - having said that, the difference only really effects memory OCing - so if you're planning to just plug & play with the RAM, enable XMP & go, it shouldn't make a huge difference.
    But, if you want my opinion, I would try to find someone to buy your current RAM kit, and then upgrade to a 2 x 16GB kit setup. 

Other than the OCing issues you may run in to trying to run 4 DIMMs on a D-C configuration motherboard (which really only happens when you're pushing past 4200MHz if I recall Buildzoid's guide about the stuff correctly), there are other downsides to running 4 sticks.  A LOT of motherboards program the XMP timings incorrectly when it comes to secondary timings, when you have 2 of the same kit in a 4x stick configuration - in fact, my motherboard did this, I had to manually set a few timings to fix some odd behaviors & occasional BSODs when running a memory OC.  What happened was, the timings it needed to be at were "out of range" for what the BIOS could set, I had to manually input the lower of the two (it was a timing where it's 2 that are tied together, _S & _L, and the _L was too high of a number for the motherboard to auto - but fixing the _S number, which I could input, made the _L go to what it should be because it's always double).
    Random things like that happen a lot more the more outside of norms you go with configurations.  So sticking with a 2 stick kit or a kit that is 4-sticks all together sold together etc, is best.

So TLDR: I would go with the 2x16 Kit myself, especially if you can find someone interested in purchasing your current RAM once you get the new kit.

Looked it up real quick & your motherboard is definitely a Daisy-Chain style memory layout, so 2 DIMMs would be better than 4 DIMMs, especially if you plan to fiddle with & OC your RAM.

Oh, lastly, pro-tip, make sure you backup your Windows before messing with RAM OCing if you do, having a bad memory configuration in terms of timings etc can actually corrupt your Windows :-D I learned that the hard way lel

ModRigs: https://www.modsrigs.com/detail.aspx?BuildID=42891  
    Specs:
    5950x @ 4.7GHz 1.3V - Asus Crosshair VIII Hero - eVGA 1200W P2 - 4x8GB G.Skill Trident Z Royal Silver @ 3800 CL14
    Gigabyte RTX 4090 Gaming OC w/ Core: 2850MHz @ 1000mV, Mem: +1500MHz - Samsung Odyssey G9 49" Super-Ultrawide 240Hz Monitor

bob16314
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    • Total Posts : 8048
    • Ribbons : 761
    Re: Is it worth it to upgrade or add more RAM? 2021/02/26 00:37:20 (permalink)
    The first question you should ask yourself is "Do I really need more RAM?"..If you're PC isn't using nearly all your currently installed RAM, then adding more will do nothing except cost money.

Grab HWiNFO and run it minimized in the background while you go about gaming and whatever else you do on your PC..Then check the "Physical Memory Used" and see how much was being utilized..Do that for a few days and find out..You can set HWiNFO to "Auto Start" in it's settings so that it starts with Windows.

If you get more RAM, you should get the same RAM, or RAM with the same specs, especially voltage..If you upgrade to new RAM, you should get RAM that's either on the ASUS ROG Strix X570-E Memory QVL or on the RAM manufacturer's motherboard QVL such as the G.SKILL RAM Configurator..Every RAM/Motherboard manufacturer should have QVLs..RAM that's on the QVLs (Qualified Vendor List) has been tested to be compatible/work.

Also see the G.SKILL FAQs for helpful information on RAM. 

* Corsair Obsidian 450D Mid-Tower - Airflow Edition * ASUS ROG Maximus X Hero (Wi-Fi AC) * Intel i7-8700K @ 5.0 GHz * 16GB G.SKILL Trident Z 4133MHz * Sabrent Rocket 1TB M.2 SSD * WD Black 500 GB HDD * Seasonic M12 II 750W * Corsair H115i Elite Capellix 280mm * EVGA GTX 760 SC * Win7 Home/Win10 Home * 

"Whatever it takes, as long as it works" - Me

aka_STEVE_b
    EGC Admin
    • Total Posts : 17692
    • Ribbons : 69
    Re: Is it worth it to upgrade or add more RAM? 2021/02/26 04:31:07 (permalink)
    I'm a little late  chiming in here , but,.. yeah ... with your setup it's optimum for that AMD setup all around running only 2x sticks at 3600 speed. ( & 16 gigs is a great sweet spot too )
    post edited by aka_STEVE_b - 2021/02/26 05:36:55

AMD RYZEN 9 5900X  12-core cpu~ ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Dark Hero ~ EVGA RTX 3080 Ti FTW3~ G.SKILL Trident Z NEO 32GB DDR4-3600 ~ Phanteks Eclipse P400s red case ~ EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 G+ PSU ~ Intel 660p M.2 drive~ Crucial MX300 275 GB SSD ~WD 2TB SSD ~CORSAIR H115i RGB Pro XT 280mm cooler ~ CORSAIR Dark Core RGB Pro mouse ~ CORSAIR K68 Mech keyboard ~ HGST 4TB Hd.~ AOC AGON 32" monitor 1440p @ 144Hz ~ Win 10 x64
    SeeTheFuzz
    Re: Is it worth it to upgrade or add more RAM? 2021/02/26 09:55:31 (permalink)
    I really appreciate all of the feedback and information provided here. It's really helpful to get a better understanding of RAM and how it interacts with my motherboard specifically.

You are all far too kind and I appreciate you for sharing your knowledge.
    Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile