6 months now and no rtx ampere

Author
veganfanatic
CLASSIFIED Member
  • Total Posts : 2119
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 1
2021/02/22 19:47:46 (permalink)
it has been over 6 month now that the alleged rtx ampere cards would be available

so today i found one rx 6900 xt for double msrp so looking in on rtx cards was zilch as usual

I have ranted lots about the shortgages of video cards

Corsair Obsidian 750D Airflow Edition + Corsair AX1600i PSU
My desktop uses the ThinkVision 31.5 inch P32p-20 Monitor.
My sound system is the Edifier B1700BT

16 Replies Related Threads

kram36
    The Destroyer
    • Total Posts : 21477
    • Ribbons : 72
    Re: 6 months now and no rtx ampere 2021/02/22 20:00:35 (permalink)
    veganfanatic
    it has been over 6 month now that the alleged rtx ampere cards would be available

so today i found one rx 6900 xt for double msrp so looking in on rtx cards was zilch as usual

my last post today I thought you were not suppose to link to your website?

I have ranted lots about the shortgages of video cards

I've bought two RTX 3070's since January, one from Micro Center and one from Best Buy. So how has it been 6 months of no availability?
    veganfanatic
    CLASSIFIED Member
    Re: 6 months now and no rtx ampere 2021/02/22 20:04:27 (permalink)
    lucky for you, zilch in canada

I have checked for other hardware and a PSU > 650W is hard to find as well

kram36
    The Destroyer
    • Total Posts : 21477
    • Ribbons : 72
    Re: 6 months now and no rtx ampere 2021/02/22 20:30:48 (permalink)
    veganfanatic

So just because you can't find one in your area, they do not exist in the rest of the world?
    veganfanatic
    CLASSIFIED Member
    Re: 6 months now and no rtx ampere 2021/02/22 20:45:30 (permalink)
    The one RX 6900 XT was double MSRP so I am balking at that. Nobody likes paying double or something.

Xavier Zepherious
    CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
    • Total Posts : 6746
    • Ribbons : 16
    Re: 6 months now and no rtx ampere 2021/02/23 06:12:51 (permalink)
    veganfanatic

not zilch in canada - i have gotten two 3090's 
    one in dec one in jan
    in fact from the same company (just different outlet) - memory express (calgary and edmonton)
    calgary was online and delivery - edmonton was online and pickup in store(thankfully i had a friend in edmonton)

there was some avail from canadacomputers in ottawa - but that was pickup in store only - there gone now

very low stock yes - and you have to check often and buy when avail

as for PSU's there are some EVGA 1600 PSU in ontario last time i checked (and close to MSRP)

yes they are hard to find and expect scalper prices - most high wattage are going for double MSRP

as for 3080 yeah my friend been waiting 6 months

expect more online and pickup - ottawa was that way too
    that way bots don't get the cards because it requires in person pickup

post edited by Xavier Zepherious - 2021/02/23 06:18:34

Primes found     Affiliate Code:YN2AHK39LH

rjohnson11
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 102262
    • Ribbons : 84
    Re: 6 months now and no rtx ampere 2021/02/23 06:26:41 (permalink)
    Sadly stock of the RTX 3080 and RTX 3090 are nearly impossible to find. According to all of the news sources I have read, it appears things won't get better until after Q1 2021. 

AMD Ryzen 9 7950X,  Corsair Mp700 Pro M.2, 64GB Corsair Dominator Titanium DDR5  X670E Steel Legend, MSI RTX 4090 Associate Code: H5U80QBH6BH0AXF. I am NOT an employee of EVGA

transdogmifier
    CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
    • Total Posts : 6116
    • Ribbons : 17
    Re: 6 months now and no rtx ampere 2021/02/23 06:57:24 (permalink)
    Shortages aren't the fault of eVGA.

There are issues in this world ...and without getting into politics...until those issues end...I doubt you'll see decent stock .

AMD Ryzen 7900x3d
    Deepcool LT720
    Gigabyte Aorus Elite AX X670 (Might change..don't like this board)
    eVGA GeForce RTX 3090 FTW3 Ultra Gaming (Hybrid kit on it)
    Asus ROG Swift PG43UQ 4k Monitor
    eVGA 1600W Supernova T2 PSU
    32GB Kingston 6000 DDR5 (2x16GB) Fury
    Corsair MP600 Pro 2TB (Boot)
    Corsair MP600 2TB (Games/Data)
    Phanteks P500A Case

aka_STEVE_b
    EGC Admin
    • Total Posts : 17692
    • Ribbons : 69
    Re: 6 months now and no rtx ampere 2021/02/23 07:28:52 (permalink)
    Yeah, ridiculously hard to get graphics cards & power supplies and AMD cpu's  -- yet everything else seems to be available .? 

From motherboards, memory, ssd, hard drives, monitors, TV's ,cell phones,  almost every other type of electronics all seem to be pretty available ( which makes me wonder how that's possible )

AMD RYZEN 9 5900X  12-core cpu~ ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Dark Hero ~ EVGA RTX 3080 Ti FTW3~ G.SKILL Trident Z NEO 32GB DDR4-3600 ~ Phanteks Eclipse P400s red case ~ EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 G+ PSU ~ Intel 660p M.2 drive~ Crucial MX300 275 GB SSD ~WD 2TB SSD ~CORSAIR H115i RGB Pro XT 280mm cooler ~ CORSAIR Dark Core RGB Pro mouse ~ CORSAIR K68 Mech keyboard ~ HGST 4TB Hd.~ AOC AGON 32" monitor 1440p @ 144Hz ~ Win 10 x64
    Bobmitch
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    • Total Posts : 8328
    • Ribbons : 47
    Re: 6 months now and no rtx ampere 2021/02/23 07:33:05 (permalink)
    With AMD CPU's...single CCX processors like the 5600X and 5800X are more readily available as of late.  It is the multi CCX like the 5900X and 5950X that are still in short supply.   Microcenters seem to have the most consistent stock of CPU / GPU of anyone lately...not sure why

MSI MAG X670-E Tomahawk;  Ryzen 7 7800X3D; Asus TUF RTX 4070 TI OC; Seasonic Vertex GX-1000 PSU; 32 GB  Corsair Vengeance DDR5-6000 RGB; Corsair iCue Link H150i RGB 360MM AIO; 2-Western Digital Black 4 TB SN850X NVMe; Creative SoundBlaster Z;  ;  Lian Li Lancool III;  EVGA Z15; Razer Viper 8K Mouse

Heatware:  http://www.heatware.com/eval.php?id=72402    Affiliate code: 1L2RV0BNQ6                                          
    Associate Code:  UD82LJP3Y1FIQPR

Xavier Zepherious
    CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
    Re: 6 months now and no rtx ampere 2021/02/24 06:18:34 (permalink)
    Global chip shortages expected to last into 2022

Forward-looking: Are you hoping the worldwide chip shortage will come to an end soon? Sadly, the current situation of demand far outweighing supply is predicted to last for another three or four quarters, followed by a further one or two quarters before inventories reach normal levels. If that's accurate, it'll be sometime in 2022 before the industry gets back to normal.
    We've seen pretty much every market where the end product uses a chip suffer in the global shortage, with automobiles, PC hardware, and games consoles hit hardest.
    The biggest issue has been Covid-19 and the stay-at-home orders. With most of the world suddenly switching to remote working, and home-based entertainment products becoming the norm as everything from bars to cinemas pauses trading, demand for PCs, laptops, TVs, consoles, etc. reached unprecedented levels.
    Exacerbating the issue has been the increasingly complex manufacturing process making chips more difficult to produce, the larger number of chips in every device, logistical problems, and package shortages. The China/US trade war saw companies trying to stockpile chips in advance, putting further pressure on manufacturers.

With production already struggling to meet demand over the previous two years, the problem came to a head in 2020.
    MarketWatch writes that normality is still a long way off. "We believe semi companies are shipping 10% to 30% below current demand levels and it will take at least 3-4 quarters for supply to catch up with demand and then another 1-2 quarters for inventories at customers/distribution channels to be replenished back to normal levels," said Harlan Sur, an analyst with J.P. Morgan.
    Susquehanna Financial analyst Christopher Rolland said chip shortages would worsen as we head into spring as economies open up following lockdown easing and continuing vaccine rollouts. Lead times—the length of time between an order being placed and delivery—are entering a "danger zone" of above 14 weeks, the longest they've been since 2018.

"We do not see any major correction on the horizon, given ongoing supply constraints as well as continued optimism about improving demand in 2H21," wrote Stifel analyst Matthew Sheerin. "We remain more concerned with continued supply disruptions, and increased materials costs, than we do an imminent multi-quarter inventory correction."
    While all this might be good news for chipmakers who have seen their stock prices soar, it's leaving consumers frustrated as attempts to buy the latest products prove fruitless. Wafer producers increased their output 40 percent in December, and the Biden administration is getting involved, but this problem isn't going away anytime soon.

https://www.techspot.com/news/88727-global-chip-shortages-expected-last-2022.html

.....so yeah things are not going to improve for another year

6 Quarters before it returns to normal
    post edited by Xavier Zepherious - 2021/02/24 06:20:44

Xavier Zepherious
    CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
    Re: 6 months now and no rtx ampere 2021/02/24 09:32:33 (permalink)
    TSMC Using Water Tankers For Chip Production As 5nm Plant Faces Rationing

The Taiwan Semiconductor Manufacturing Company (TSMC) is currently facing water shortages for its chip production as Taiwan fears entering a drought. While chip fabrication requires access to the latest equipment, materials, research and facilities, another crucial part of the production process is access to water. An ongoing lack of consistent rains in Taiwan has put chipmakers in a frenzy to order water tankers as they ramp up production to keep with the demand boom for semiconductors as the world adjusts to remote working and consumer electronics and enterprise product sales rise.

TSMC, Other Chipmakers Fight Water Problems Amidst Aggressive Chip Production

Current problems of the water shortage were foreseen by Taiwanese chip companies last year, as the lack of an annual typhoon drove down the supply of water available to residents. This made officials introduce restrictions to manage the drought, which targetted the agricultural and chip sector as well.

To solve the shortage, TSMC is ordering tankers that contain 20 tons or roughly 53,000 gallons of water at a cost of $1,000/truck. Given the large water consumption of the chip-making process, it's clear that an equally large number of water tankers is required to meet the company's needs - and this fact is evident from the water tanker shortage that TSMC and other chipmakers' demand has created in surrounding areas.

https://wccftech.com/tsmc...plant-faces-rationing/

Brad_Hawthorne
    Insert Custom Title Here
    • Total Posts : 23174
    • Ribbons : 39
    Re: 6 months now and no rtx ampere 2021/02/24 09:41:55 (permalink)
    Xavier Zepherious
    TSMC Using Water Tankers For Chip Production As 5nm Plant Faces Rationing

The Taiwan Semiconductor Manufacturing Company (TSMC) is currently facing water shortages for its chip production as Taiwan fears entering a drought. While chip fabrication requires access to the latest equipment, materials, research and facilities, another crucial part of the production process is access to water. An ongoing lack of consistent rains in Taiwan has put chipmakers in a frenzy to order water tankers as they ramp up production to keep with the demand boom for semiconductors as the world adjusts to remote working and consumer electronics and enterprise product sales rise.

TSMC, Other Chipmakers Fight Water Problems Amidst Aggressive Chip Production

Current problems of the water shortage were foreseen by Taiwanese chip companies last year, as the lack of an annual typhoon drove down the supply of water available to residents. This made officials introduce restrictions to manage the drought, which targetted the agricultural and chip sector as well.

To solve the shortage, TSMC is ordering tankers that contain 20 tons or roughly 53,000 gallons of water at a cost of $1,000/truck. Given the large water consumption of the chip-making process, it's clear that an equally large number of water tankers is required to meet the company's needs - and this fact is evident from the water tanker shortage that TSMC and other chipmakers' demand has created in surrounding areas.

https://wccftech.com/tsmc...plant-faces-rationing/

The dumb thing about this is it's an infrastructure issue. This tells me TSMC did not properly plan out their site based on needs. This is incompetence IMHO.
    aka_STEVE_b
    EGC Admin
    • Total Posts : 17692
    • Ribbons : 69
    Re: 6 months now and no rtx ampere 2021/02/24 10:42:32 (permalink)

the lack of an annual typhoon

This is the first time I've ever read this in my life.... that the lack of a natural disaster hitting is causing problems..?!!?? 

AMD RYZEN 9 5900X  12-core cpu~ ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Dark Hero ~ EVGA RTX 3080 Ti FTW3~ G.SKILL Trident Z NEO 32GB DDR4-3600 ~ Phanteks Eclipse P400s red case ~ EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 G+ PSU ~ Intel 660p M.2 drive~ Crucial MX300 275 GB SSD ~WD 2TB SSD ~CORSAIR H115i RGB Pro XT 280mm cooler ~ CORSAIR Dark Core RGB Pro mouse ~ CORSAIR K68 Mech keyboard ~ HGST 4TB Hd.~ AOC AGON 32" monitor 1440p @ 144Hz ~ Win 10 x64
    Xavier Zepherious
    CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
    Re: 6 months now and no rtx ampere 2021/02/24 10:46:26 (permalink)
    think of it more as a monsoon season  - they need heavy rain in one season to get them thru the rest
    changing weather patterns do not help

Xavier Zepherious
    CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
    Re: 6 months now and no rtx ampere 2021/02/25 15:13:14 (permalink)
    Nvidia RTX card shortage expected throughout the year

Nvidia's spokesperson just confirmed
    Nvidia has addressed a few questions regarding its record Q4/FY2021 financial conference call mentioned in detail here, and gave some updates on the GPU shortage, and mentioned the mining card strategy.

Nvidia in its record Q4/FY2021 financial conference call mentioned in detail here, gave some updates on the GPU shortage, and mentioned its mining card strategy.
    A spokesperson has just confirmed that the demand for Geforce RTX gaming cards exceeds supply and the shortage is expected to last quite some time. As a matter of fact, it might last the whole year.
    It appears that Nvidia is one of the companies caught in a high and limited supply situation. Demand is expected to exceed supply throughout the whole year. Numerous factors are likely attributing to the cause. Nvidia has a higher than ever demand for the RTX cards exceedinh anything in the company's recent history.

Many reports claim that manufacturing fabs, including both TSMC and Samsung that Nvidia use, have an issue with chemicals and general manufacturing demands. Fabs expected that chip demand would go down with the pandemic, but the complete opposite happened with the sudden growth in digitalization and gaming. Now companies, including Nvidia, cannot get enough chips and OEMs and AIBs cards. This is what is happening right now.
    The new Nvidia mining card is expected to contribute $50 million to Nvidia's FY Q1 revenue, and it will be added to OEM and not the gaming breakdown.
    It takes a couple of quarters to build an inventory, and Nvidia has several times confirmed that this is an incredible demand that it is facing. Mining is a part of the problem too. Still, Nvidia expects that much of the recent hash rate increase resulted from previous mining farms reactivation, an ASIC-based solution, and some gaming cards from Nvidia and its competition.
    The shortage might not be affecting the GPU industry exclusively as other companies, including console makers, are effected by the same strong demand and low availability that may last most of 2021.

https://www.fudzilla.com/...ed-throughout-the-year

veganfanatic
    CLASSIFIED Member
    Re: 6 months now and no rtx ampere 2021/02/25 17:27:59 (permalink)
    somebody messaged me a link from taiwan a few days ago, the problem is very severe over there

Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile