Bethesda founder and CEO Robert Altman passes away

Author
donta1979
Primarch
  • Total Posts : 15886
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 72
2021/02/04 20:18:36 (permalink)
I personally see the company shifting with him gone, Microsoft will probably take the helm fully if no one else steps up inside the company.
https://www.tweaktown.com..._WRp2hqVpedU1L69xhRoOc

Heatware   

Retired from AAA Game Industry
Jeep Wranglers, English Bulldog Rescue
USAF, USANG, US ARMY Combat Veteran
My Build
Intel Core I9 13900K@6.1ghz, ASUS ROG Ryujin III 360 ARGB, 32gb G.Skill Trident Z5 RGB 7200mhz CL34 DDR5, ASUS Rog Strix Z790-E, ASUS Rog Strix OC 4090, ASUS ROG Wingwall Graphics Card Holder, Seagate limited Edition Cyberpunk 2077 m.2, 2x Samsung 980 m.2 1TB's, 980 & 990 Pro m.2 2TB's, ASUS ROG Hyperion GR701, ASUS ROG Thor 1200W Platinum II, Cablemod RT-Series Pro ModMesh Sleeved 12VHPWR Carbon, ASUS Rog Swift PG35VQ 35", Acer EI342CKR Pbmiippx 34", ROG Harpe Ace Aim Lab Edition mouse, Rog Claymore II keyboard, TCL home entertainment Sound Bar w/Wireless Sub, Steelseries Johnny Silverhand Headset Microsoft Cyberpunk 2077 Xbox controller

16 Replies Related Threads

blackforce
    SSC Member
    • Total Posts : 883
    • Ribbons : 0
    Re: Bethesda founder and CEO Robert Altman passes away 2021/02/04 23:10:46 (permalink)
    so what.
    donta1979
    Primarch
    Re: Bethesda founder and CEO Robert Altman passes away 2021/02/05 09:24:34 (permalink)
    blackforce
    so what.

Will have an impact on some of us on the games we like to play. Possibly means Bethesda titles may get more streamlined”dumbed down”. For example look at what happened with BioWare once it’s founders retired, EA came in and it was not for the better. So that is why the so what that he passed is important.
    post edited by donta1979 - 2021/02/05 09:54:46

Heatware   

My Build
    Intel Core I9 13900K@6.1ghz, ASUS ROG Ryujin III 360 ARGB, 32gb G.Skill Trident Z5 RGB 7200mhz CL34 DDR5, ASUS Rog Strix Z790-E, ASUS Rog Strix OC 4090, ASUS ROG Wingwall Graphics Card Holder, Seagate limited Edition Cyberpunk 2077 m.2, 2x Samsung 980 m.2 1TB's, 980 & 990 Pro m.2 2TB's, ASUS ROG Hyperion GR701, ASUS ROG Thor 1200W Platinum II, Cablemod RT-Series Pro ModMesh Sleeved 12VHPWR Carbon, ASUS Rog Swift PG35VQ 35", Acer EI342CKR Pbmiippx 34", ROG Harpe Ace Aim Lab Edition mouse, Rog Claymore II keyboard, TCL home entertainment Sound Bar w/Wireless Sub, Steelseries Johnny Silverhand Headset Microsoft Cyberpunk 2077 Xbox controller
    Noodle 1
    • Total Posts : 100
    Re: Bethesda founder and CEO Robert Altman passes away 2021/02/13 15:26:17 (permalink)
    I mean Besthesda games have already been dumbed down so if it does happen, I doubt it's because of Microsoft but probably because of Todd Howard. Just look at Fallout 3 and NV compared to Fallout 4 and 76. FO4 is more of an FPS with RPG elements than an actual RPG and replayability is so limited because of that. 
    Microsoft has already said that they're looking at a more hands-off approach with Zenimax compared with their other game studio acquisitions and there are rumors that Zenimax as a holding company is going to be replaced by a new company called "Vault". I'm personally really excited for the future of Zenimax/Microsoft since it'll mean Bethesda and other studios under Zenimax will have more access to resources than previously and it also opens up the possibility of cooperation between various game studios such as Bethesda and Obsidian (creators of New Vegas).
    Brad_Hawthorne
    Insert Custom Title Here
    • Total Posts : 23174
    • Ribbons : 39
    Re: Bethesda founder and CEO Robert Altman passes away 2021/02/13 21:28:10 (permalink)
    Zenimax got sold off last year along with Bethesda. Bethesda is a Microsoft product now, for what it's worth.
    Noodle 1
    Re: Bethesda founder and CEO Robert Altman passes away 2021/02/13 21:59:25 (permalink)
    That's true but Microsoft has come out and said that they are taking a hands-off approach to Zenimax so it's going to be treated differently compared with Microsoft's other game studios.
    donta1979
    Primarch
    Re: Bethesda founder and CEO Robert Altman passes away 2021/02/14 16:35:22 (permalink)
    Brad_Hawthorne
    Zenimax got sold off last year along with Bethesda. Bethesda is a Microsoft product now, for what it's worth.

Yup I watched that happen, I am just hoping by some crazy miracle Microsoft take the Fallout IP and says to Obsidian here make the most amazing Fallout ever made.

Heatware   

My Build
    donta1979
    Primarch
    Re: Bethesda founder and CEO Robert Altman passes away 2021/02/14 16:36:44 (permalink)
    Noodle 1
    That's true but Microsoft has come out and said that they are taking a hands-off approach to Zenimax so it's going to be treated differently compared with Microsoft's other game studios.

That only goes on as long as the CEO/CEO's are still there or the company takes the initiative and puts one of their own loyal to the studio itself to put out good games is put at the helm. If not the new owners come in and put there own in place then things change in a big way.

Heatware   

My Build
    donta1979
    Primarch
    Re: Bethesda founder and CEO Robert Altman passes away 2021/02/14 16:46:07 (permalink)
    Noodle 1
    I mean Besthesda games have already been dumbed down so if it does happen, I doubt it's because of Microsoft but probably because of Todd Howard. Just look at Fallout 3 and NV compared to Fallout 4 and 76. FO4 is more of an FPS with RPG elements than an actual RPG and replayability is so limited because of that. 
    Microsoft has already said that they're looking at a more hands-off approach with Zenimax compared with their other game studio acquisitions and there are rumors that Zenimax as a holding company is going to be replaced by a new company called "Vault". I'm personally really excited for the future of Zenimax/Microsoft since it'll mean Bethesda and other studios under Zenimax will have more access to resources than previously and it also opens up the possibility of cooperation between various game studios such as Bethesda and Obsidian (creators of New Vegas).

NV was all Obsidian, thats why it is probably one of the best Fallouts in 3rd person to date. I retired from the AAA industry, have seen many a great studios change ownership, and seen what happens when the CEO/CEO's step down to retire or die. If the studio does not put one of their own up to the front to take the helm that is loyal to the studio, the new owners will then step in and put one of their own or someone who is a yes man in charge. As for Todd Howard he does not get much say, Zenimax did along with whoever was the CEO/Studio head of Bethesda. It was put down to make them more marketable aka they wanted to sell. It was not Howard who came up with the micro transactions. In order to sell a publisher or a studio even if you have amazing IP's in your portfolio you still have to convince a bigger company to buy you with annual revenue. That has been done with the microtransactions and subscriptions for their games. Their annual revenue skyrocketed thus Microsoft came in and said mine here is the money we are buying you. Just how things go in the AAA Industry and has for a long time. Then if someone important gets in the way of what the new owners want, a production will be rushed so much major bugs are there and they force that person to leave/retire or just fire them. Look at what EA did with Ultima 9 that was one messy huge mess. Then putting a yes man at the helm, look at bioware, the CEO of EA has helped run that studio to the ground. Having no clue how game engines work, forcing them to use frostbite an engine not made for RPG's, forcing culture changes yeah another mess. Then look at one studio that said FU to the CEO of EA we are going to use the engine we want to Apex Legends a success overnight by a studio that still had someone loyal to that studio at the head. 

Heatware   

My Build
    Noodle 1
    Re: Bethesda founder and CEO Robert Altman passes away 2021/02/14 19:56:04 (permalink)
    donta1979
    Noodle 1

NV was all Obsidian, thats why it is probably one of the best Fallouts in 3rd person to date. I retired from the AAA industry, have seen many a great studios change ownership, and seen what happens when the CEO/CEO's step down to retire or die. If the studio does not put one of their own up to the front to take the helm that is loyal to the studio, the new owners will then step in and put one of their own or someone who is a yes man in charge. As for Todd Howard he does not get much say, Zenimax did along with whoever was the CEO/Studio head of Bethesda. It was put down to make them more marketable aka they wanted to sell. It was not Howard who came up with the micro transactions. In order to sell a publisher or a studio even if you have amazing IP's in your portfolio you still have to convince a bigger company to buy you with annual revenue. That has been done with the microtransactions and subscriptions for their games. Their annual revenue skyrocketed thus Microsoft came in and said mine here is the money we are buying you. Just how things go in the AAA Industry and has for a long time. Then if someone important gets in the way of what the new owners want, a production will be rushed so much major bugs are there and they force that person to leave/retire or just fire them. Look at what EA did with Ultima 9 that was one messy huge mess. Then putting a yes man at the helm, look at bioware, the CEO of EA has helped run that studio to the ground. Having no clue how game engines work, forcing them to use frostbite an engine not made for RPG's, forcing culture changes yeah another mess. Then look at one studio that said FU to the CEO of EA we are going to use the engine we want to Apex Legends a success overnight by a studio that still had someone loyal to that studio at the head. 

Are you saying that the internet has been ****ting on the wrong person/entity for FO4 and FO76?
    donta1979
    Primarch
    Re: Bethesda founder and CEO Robert Altman passes away 2021/02/15 20:39:01 (permalink)
    Noodle 1
    donta1979
    Noodle 1

Are you saying that the internet has been ****ting on the wrong person/entity for FO4 and FO76?

FO4 was Todd Leading the way, the microtransactions was thanks to Zenimax, FO 76 was not Todd at all he was just put up front to sell it vocally, once they got it jimmy rigged with the atlas to make it online, it was handed to Bethesda Austin and Zenimax called the shots fully subscriptions, atomic shop, atoms yeah...

Heatware   

My Build
    FearTehPanda
    Superclocked Member
    • Total Posts : 101
    Re: Bethesda founder and CEO Robert Altman passes away 2021/03/05 14:22:54 (permalink)
    donta has it about right
    FearTehPanda
    Superclocked Member
    • Total Posts : 101
    Re: Bethesda founder and CEO Robert Altman passes away 2021/03/05 14:29:48 (permalink)
    Honestly Rip though, gonna be some changes
    XrayMan
    Insert Custom Title Here
    • Total Posts : 73000
    • Ribbons : 115
    Re: Bethesda founder and CEO Robert Altman passes away 2021/03/21 01:41:49 (permalink)

R.I.P.

My Affiliate Code: 8WEQVXMCJL

Associate Code: VHKH33QN4W77V6A

&nbsp
    rjohnson11
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 102300
    • Ribbons : 84
    Re: Bethesda founder and CEO Robert Altman passes away 2021/03/21 05:38:54 (permalink)
    agreed, R.I.P. Mr Altman. 

AMD Ryzen 9 7950X,  Corsair Mp700 Pro M.2, 64GB Corsair Dominator Titanium DDR5  X670E Steel Legend, MSI RTX 4090 Associate Code: H5U80QBH6BH0AXF. I am NOT an employee of EVGA

yaggaz
    FTW Member
    • Total Posts : 1509
    • Ribbons : 1
    Re: Bethesda founder and CEO Robert Altman passes away 2021/03/26 11:35:46 (permalink)
    blackforce
    so what.

I hope you meant that in regards to Microsoft taking over.  If you meant it for the person's passing you might want to remember they have family who are grieving.

||  CPU: Intel 10700k   ||  GPU:  evga 3080 XC3 Ultra Hybrid ||  MB: Gigabyte z490 UD AC  || RAM: 2 x 16GB 3000mhz DDR4 SDRAM  || Samsung EVO 970 Plus 2TB   ||    Dell S2417DG Monitor    ||  Soundblaster AE-7  ||  Phanteks p400a Case  ||   be Quiet! Dark Rock Slim CPU Cooler  ||  Corsair AX1600i PSU  ||  9 Fans total in system ||
    yaggaz
    FTW Member
    • Total Posts : 1509
    • Ribbons : 1
    Re: Bethesda founder and CEO Robert Altman passes away 2021/03/26 11:37:29 (permalink)
    Noodle 1
    I mean Besthesda games have already been dumbed down 

Yeah even Microsoft couldn't make Beth's design doctrine any more dumbed down than the current rock bottom Beth is at.

||  CPU: Intel 10700k   ||  GPU:  evga 3080 XC3 Ultra Hybrid ||  MB: Gigabyte z490 UD AC  || RAM: 2 x 16GB 3000mhz DDR4 SDRAM  || Samsung EVO 970 Plus 2TB   ||    Dell S2417DG Monitor    ||  Soundblaster AE-7  ||  Phanteks p400a Case  ||   be Quiet! Dark Rock Slim CPU Cooler  ||  Corsair AX1600i PSU  ||  9 Fans total in system ||
    Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile