EVGA

AnsweredBurning 1070FTW & Dissapointed With Customer Support

Author
bigdaddy012678
  • Total Posts : 21
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 0
2021/01/23 11:11:06 (permalink)
Let me start by saying I have been buying EVGA products for some time now and have been pretty happy with support. This past week I was browsing the internet and all of the sudden my monitors lost signal and I smell electronics burning. I quickly unplug the computer and open the side panel on the case to see what happened. I noticed the burning smell coming from the graphics card. I did know that my warranty being that I purchased the computer back in 2016 thru CyberPower PC that my graphics card had only a 1 year warranty. I was hopeful that I would be given an option to purchase a refurbished 1070, 1080, or a newer card and have some sorts of discount on a new one and I would pay the expedited shipping. If the failure of the video card was due to my negligence, then I would take 100% responsibility for it and just purchase a new one. This seemed like a hardware failure to me. This was my only video card so I was able to work, but now I have to use the onboard video, which is not capable of running the programs required for work. I normally would not post, but am disappointed that the customer support guy I spoke with could not help out in any way shape or form and suggested just recycling the card. One of the main reasons I usually went with EVGA products was their support. This experience has now left me not purchasing any future EVGA products in the future or recommending them to anyone that ask.

ty_ger07
Insert Custom Title Here
  • Total Posts : 21169
  • Ribbons : 270
Re: Burning 1070FTW & Dissapointed With Customer Support 2021/01/23 12:07:43 (permalink)
Warranty is expired. Chuck it in the e-waste recycling bin or sell it on ebay for parts, and buy a different video card. Being upset that the card failed 5 years later, does not make sense. They have zero obligation to help you. They help people, but according to the terms available. "Good support" doesn't mean that they will make exceptions for people; especially when it's their profit to lose. While the warranty is in effect, they should offer good support. When the warranty is expired, you are on your own. You shouldn't expect otherwise.
post edited by ty_ger07 - 2021/01/23 12:12:13

ASRock Z77 • Intel Core i7 3770K • EVGA GTX 1080 • Samsung 850 Pro • Seasonic PRIME 600W Titanium
My EVGA Score: 1546 • Zero Associates Points • I don't shill

bigdaddy012678
Re: Burning 1070FTW & Dissapointed With Customer Support 2021/01/23 12:31:14 (permalink)
ty_ger07
Warranty is expired (Agree, it is, I will not deny that).
Chuck it in the e-waste recycling bin or sell it on ebay for parts, and buy a different video card. (If there was not a shortage in getting a new one, I would have)
Being upset that the card failed 5 years later, does not make sense (your opinion, but I also have the opinion of being disappointed with zero help to want me to keep using their product. I am not looking for a handout, but even an option to purchase a new one, would have been a big help).
They have zero obligation to help you (Correct, it would have been nice for any help at all). They help people, but according to the terms available.
"Good support" doesn't mean that they will make exceptions for people; especially when it's their profit to lose (It would be "Good Support" if they made any suggestions other than to throw it away to resolve the issue).
While the warranty is in effect, they should offer good support. When the warranty is expired, you are on your own (pretty crappy way to look at it. Customers remember when companies go above and beyond and not just limit them to help during the warranty period). You shouldn't expect otherwise (Again your opinion, I feel differently).

Again, if it was due to my fault, then so be it, but to me it looks like sub par quality. I know this card had issues for quite sometime since release, was just hoping with no overclocking or tinkering with it in any way it would last longer. I think I still have a 9600GT that works. Kinda sad this one did not last as long as that one did.
HeavyHemi
Insert Custom Title Here
  • Total Posts : 15665
  • Ribbons : 135
Re: Burning 1070FTW & Dissapointed With Customer Support 2021/01/23 12:47:16 (permalink)
bigdaddy012678
ty_ger07
Warranty is expired (Agree, it is, I will not deny that).
Chuck it in the e-waste recycling bin or sell it on ebay for parts, and buy a different video card. (If there was not a shortage in getting a new one, I would have)
Being upset that the card failed 5 years later, does not make sense (your opinion, but I also have the opinion of being disappointed with zero help to want me to keep using their product. I am not looking for a handout, but even an option to purchase a new one, would have been a big help).
They have zero obligation to help you (Correct, it would have been nice for any help at all). They help people, but according to the terms available.
"Good support" doesn't mean that they will make exceptions for people; especially when it's their profit to lose (It would be "Good Support" if they made any suggestions other than to throw it away to resolve the issue).
While the warranty is in effect, they should offer good support. When the warranty is expired, you are on your own (pretty crappy way to look at it. Customers remember when companies go above and beyond and not just limit them to help during the warranty period). You shouldn't expect otherwise (Again your opinion, I feel differently).

Again, if it was due to my fault, then so be it, but to me it looks like sub par quality. I know this card had issues for quite sometime since release, was just hoping with no overclocking or tinkering with it in any way it would last longer. I think I still have a 9600GT that works. Kinda sad this one did not last as long as that one did.

Not that there's much you can do about it... but in your specific case, I'm somewhat inclined to agree and one of the reasons EVGA not using higher quality thermal pads has bothered me. I would not be surprised that in your case, the weeping silicone oil which is not conductive, allowed a collection of dust and airborne debris which is conductive to collect that caused the short. That's a lot of current shunted for just being on the desktop doing basically nothing. Yes you're out of warranty, but I'd file a complaint with EVGA just on principle to point that out.

EVGA X99 FTWK / i7 6850K @ 4.5ghz / RTX 3080Ti FTW Ultra / 32GB Corsair LPX 3600mhz / Samsung 850Pro 256GB / Be Quiet BN516 Straight Power 12-1000w 80 Plus Platinum / Window 10 Pro

safan80
iCX Member
  • Total Posts : 322
  • Ribbons : 2
Re: Burning 1070FTW & Dissapointed With Customer Support 2021/01/24 00:47:16 (permalink)
Next time purchase the card directly from evga or a retailer and get the extended warranty on the card. You knew going in you only had one year on the card... 
Hoggle
EVGA Forum Moderator
  • Total Posts : 10098
  • Ribbons : 4
Re: Burning 1070FTW & Dissapointed With Customer Support 2021/01/24 02:53:49 (permalink)
safan80
Next time purchase the card directly from evga or a retailer and get the extended warranty on the card. You knew going in you only had one year on the card... 

Still even with a extended warranty you he would barley be within the warranty period. Normally getting over 4 years is pretty good for a graphics card.

Use an Associates Code & SAVE 5% - 10% on your purchase. Just click on the associates banner to save, or enter the associates code at checkout on your next purchase. If you choose to use my code I want to personally say "Thank You" for using it. 

bigdaddy012678
Re: Burning 1070FTW & Dissapointed With Customer Support 2021/01/28 10:42:31 (permalink)
Thanks for all the replies and suggestions. Community is a good group of folks.

I know it is a far stretch, but even if I own a car and take it to the dealer that I bought it from, they are usually willing to offer to repair my car at a discount/at all or work with me if it is out of warranty. Again I am not looking for a free replacement, but just to throw it away or recycle it, is a pretty crappy response.

So if you are a 1070 graphics card owner that has an issue and it is out of warranty , save yourself some time and just recycle it.
CraptacularOne
Omnipotent Enthusiast
  • Total Posts : 14533
  • Ribbons : 222
Re: Burning 1070FTW & Dissapointed With Customer Support 2021/01/28 11:29:45 (permalink)
bigdaddy012678
Thanks for all the replies and suggestions. Community is a good group of folks.

I know it is a far stretch, but even if I own a car and take it to the dealer that I bought it from, they are usually willing to offer to repair my car at a discount/at all or work with me if it is out of warranty. Again I am not looking for a free replacement, but just to throw it away or recycle it, is a pretty crappy response.

So if you are a 1070 graphics card owner that has an issue and it is out of warranty , save yourself some time and just recycle it.

That's just the way this market is. It's not like a car and should not be compared to one. The many small surface mounted devices on the PCB while individually cheap, can be excessively expensive to repair and it's just not worth it on a video card that's worth very little or even an expensive card for that matter. There is no guarantee that replacing the part that catastrophically failed will even fix the card. When that capacitor blew (which is part of the VRM in your pic) it could have sent a massive power spike to the GPU core and effectively killed it or any number of other sensitive parts on the card. 

EVGA nor do any other companies like ASUS or MSI for that matter, offer any kind of repair service for out of warranty components. You had unrealistic expectations going in if you thought so and to compare video cards to cars is just hugely off the mark. They are not the same, not even remotely. 

Intel i9 14900K ...............................Ryzen 9 7950X3D
MSI RTX 4090 Gaming Trio................ASRock Phantom RX 7900 XTX
Samsung Odyssey G9.......................PiMax 5K Super/Meta Quest 3
ASUS ROG Strix Z690-F Gaming........ASUS TUF Gaming X670E Plus WiFi
64GB G.Skill Trident Z5 6800Mhz.......64GB Kingston Fury RGB 6000Mhz
MSI MPG A1000G 1000w..................EVGA G3 SuperNova 1000w
EVGATech_DanielM
EVGA Tech Support
  • Total Posts : 1132
  • Ribbons : 2
Re: Burning 1070FTW & Dissapointed With Customer Support 2021/01/28 12:52:03 (permalink) ☼ Best Answerby bigdaddy012678 2021/01/28 12:57:02
I was able to respond to your email. We do apologize about the failure with the card. Feel free to respond to the email with any feedback and we would be happy to pass this along. 
bigdaddy012678
Re: Burning 1070FTW & Dissapointed With Customer Support 2021/01/28 12:56:43 (permalink)
Thanks for the reply Daniel. I did receive the email and the issue has been resolved. I appreciate it.

Edit: Feel free to close this thread as the issue has been resolved.

Thank you to EVGA support and the community for their suggestions, comments, help.

Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile