Motherboard Failure?

Author
dwoodward
CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
  • Total Posts : 6258
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 21
2021/01/13 10:25:25 (permalink)
Need help diagnosing what failed in my gaming PC. I was in a throwback mood so I booted up some Fallout 4 and was playing that, a few hours in, my computer randomly blue screened with some weird code. I waited about 5 minutes, it didn't reboot on it's own so I hard reset. It got back into windows and I had a few emails so I was reading them, and a new blue screen. Again random code, didn't reboot on it's own so i hard reset. 

Now it's stuck in a cycle where it turns on and off in rapid succession 3 times then goes to the Ameritrend bios screen saying press F1 to enter setup. This takes me to the BIOS, and I can just exit the bios and the PC boots normally. Only to blue screen again some short time later. And the process repeats.

I've tried removing all ram by 1 stick, tried it in all 4 slots, took a good stick out of my girlfriend's computer. I've stripped out my sound card, I've swapped PCI-E ports for my video card... I've ran HW Monitors for voltage and temp increases incase of overheating, nothing.

It's always the same thing. Random blue screen, then a boot loop that eventually leads to the bios, where I boot normally.

The only thing I haven't tried is reinstalling windows, but i'd rather not do that because I have so much backing up to do, and it'll probably bluescreen just doing that.

Specs are in my forum signature (Full specs on my Mods Rig). I just really think this is the motherboard, and before I reach out to Asus to RMA it, just want a 2nd opinion from some of you.

- edit -
Figured it could be worth noting that when it's doing it's reboot loop, the post code is 6E...
Which the manual says is "System Agent DXE initialization (System Agent module specific)"

I have no clue what the heck that means and it seems nobody on google does either lol.
post edited by dwoodward - 2021/01/13 10:40:12

Register your Products! Click Here!
Did I help you find the product you were looking for?
Register your Product and remember to enter my EVGA Affiliate Code: JXE2Y5PH4K
Thanks! And enjoy your new EVGA Graphics Card / Motherboard!
Associate Code: 9KWI53WAR7PX3KS

Core i9-9900k | ROG Maximus XI Hero | 32GB Corsair Dominator Platinum | 970 Evo NVMe | GTX 1070 Ti SC Black

6 Replies Related Threads

rjohnson11
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 102262
    • Ribbons : 84
    Re: Motherboard Failure? 2021/01/13 11:04:29 (permalink)
    Try first to boot with 1 stick of ram. If the blue screen continues try to reset the BIOs and only adjust the boot order and nothing else. If the PC boots and there is no blue screen problem is solved. If there is a blue screen then I hate to ask you to make a clean Windows install but you may have to do that to rule out software as an issue. 

AMD Ryzen 9 7950X,  Corsair Mp700 Pro M.2, 64GB Corsair Dominator Titanium DDR5  X670E Steel Legend, MSI RTX 4090 Associate Code: H5U80QBH6BH0AXF. I am NOT an employee of EVGA

aka_STEVE_b
    EGC Admin
    • Total Posts : 17692
    • Ribbons : 69
    Re: Motherboard Failure? 2021/01/13 11:10:21 (permalink)
    1st guess is always memory - but - If you're absolutely sure the memory is good , or if you tried other sticks.
    * Then we move onto a corrupted BIOS ,   - flash the latest again.
    * software incompatibility -  did you install something before this started ?
     *  then next would be failing hard drive.
     * reinstall windows  / bad windows update has been the cause of many an issue this year .

AMD RYZEN 9 5900X  12-core cpu~ ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Dark Hero ~ EVGA RTX 3080 Ti FTW3~ G.SKILL Trident Z NEO 32GB DDR4-3600 ~ Phanteks Eclipse P400s red case ~ EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 G+ PSU ~ Intel 660p M.2 drive~ Crucial MX300 275 GB SSD ~WD 2TB SSD ~CORSAIR H115i RGB Pro XT 280mm cooler ~ CORSAIR Dark Core RGB Pro mouse ~ CORSAIR K68 Mech keyboard ~ HGST 4TB Hd.~ AOC AGON 32" monitor 1440p @ 144Hz ~ Win 10 x64
    Grey_Beard
    CLASSIFIED Member
    • Total Posts : 2232
    • Ribbons : 10
    Re: Motherboard Failure? 2021/01/13 11:14:54 (permalink)
    I agree with the prior posts. One thing to add is, have you checked your power supply? It is easy to check and would eliminate a possible issue to then concentrate on the other suggestion above. I would definitely do this before reinstalling Windows.

castrator86
    SSC Member
    • Total Posts : 816
    • Ribbons : 2
    Re: Motherboard Failure? 2021/01/13 11:15:17 (permalink)
    Create a bootable Windows USB stick for whatever version you have. Stick it into the PC & boot to it. Run a system repair and see if that fixes the issue. Sounds to me something is borked in the OS or maybe your hard drive is dying (which is why it's booting to BIOS, it's not seeing your drive as a bootable device on startup).

dwoodward
    CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
    • Total Posts : 6258
    • Ribbons : 21
    Re: Motherboard Failure? 2021/01/13 11:25:14 (permalink)
    rjohnson11
    Try first to boot with 1 stick of ram. If the blue screen continues try to reset the BIOs and only adjust the boot order and nothing else. If the PC boots and there is no blue screen problem is solved. If there is a blue screen then I hate to ask you to make a clean Windows install but you may have to do that to rule out software as an issue.

Nothing is overclocked or adjusted in my system, just the boot order to obviously boot from the NVMe first. Thanks for your comment.
    aka_STEVE_b
    1st guess is always memory - but - If you're absolutely sure the memory is good , or if you tried other sticks.
    * Then we move onto a corrupted BIOS , - flash the latest again.
    * software incompatibility - did you install something before this started ?
    * then next would be failing hard drive.
    * reinstall windows / bad windows update has been the cause of many an issue this year .

I didn't consider flashing a newer BIOS, I could try that I suppose. Thanks for the idea.
    As for software, nothing new really, outside of maybe a game from the Epic Store, doubt that would be an issue.

If failing hard drive, well, SOL right? lol

And I know all about bad windows updates. Girlfriends computer I had to repair TWICE in the last year due to botched Windows Updates. Microsoft really needs to get their sh*t together.
    Grey_Beard
    I agree with the prior posts. One thing to add is, have you checked your power supply? It is easy to check and would eliminate a possible issue to then concentrate on the other suggestion above. I would definitely do this before reinstalling Windows.

I'm fairly versed in the PC world after years of doing this, not really sure how to "check" my PSU tho outside of looking at voltages in the BIOS which seem within range.
    castrator86
    Create a bootable Windows USB stick for whatever version you have. Stick it into the PC & boot to it. Run a system repair and see if that fixes the issue. Sounds to me something is borked in the OS or maybe your hard drive is dying (which is why it's booting to BIOS, it's not seeing your drive as a bootable device on startup).

This I could definitely try and may try after work. I have a bootable USB sitting right on the desk at home. Thanks for the idea.

Register your Products! Click Here!
    Did I help you find the product you were looking for?
    Register your Product and remember to enter my EVGA Affiliate Code: JXE2Y5PH4K
    Thanks! And enjoy your new EVGA Graphics Card / Motherboard!
    Associate Code: 9KWI53WAR7PX3KS

Core i9-9900k | ROG Maximus XI Hero | 32GB Corsair Dominator Platinum | 970 Evo NVMe | GTX 1070 Ti SC Black
    atfrico
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    • Total Posts : 12753
    • Ribbons : 25
    Re: Motherboard Failure? 2021/01/13 17:43:47 (permalink)
    Try setting everything on default/stock settings in the bios

Those who abuse power, are nothing but scumbags! The challenge of power is how to use it and not abuse it. The abuse of power that seems to create the most unhappiness is when a person uses personal power to get ahead without regards to the welfare of others, people are obsessed with it. You can take a nice person and turn them into a slob, into an insane being, craving power, destroying anything that stands in their way.

Affiliate Code: 3T15O1S07G
    Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile