Z490 Dark - no thermal sensor?

Author
Nereus
Captain Goodvibes
  • Total Posts : 18926
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 58
2021/01/04 11:32:40 (permalink)

I'm looking through the manual of the Z490 Dark, there doesn't appear to be a thermal sensor port on there (for loop water temp), is that true, or am I just missing it somewhere?

BUILD 1 2   |   MINI-ITX BUILD   |   MODSRIGS $1K WIN   |   HEATWARE 111-0-0   |   ASSOCIATE CODE CSKKXUT5Q9GVAFR

7 Replies Related Threads

Cool GTX
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 31000
    • Ribbons : 122
    Re: Z490 Dark - no thermal sensor? 2021/01/04 13:29:42 (permalink)
    Support Manual for EVGA Z490 DARK (131-CL-E499)

page 11 ... Not seeing it listed

page 15 ... Not seeing it listed

Page 94 --> Though that BIOS seems to have Many options - to control the fan header - by the Temp of many different devices

I've purchased some add-on fan controllers have thermal inputs for my older X99 machines

Learn your way around the EVGA Forums, Rules & limits on new accounts Ultimate Self-Starter Thread For New Members

I am a Volunteer Moderator - not an EVGA employee

https://foldingathome.org -->become a citizen scientist and contribute your compute power to help fight global health threats

RTX Project EVGA X99 FTWK Nibbler EVGA X99 Classified EVGA 3080Ti FTW3 Ultra

Nereus
    Captain Goodvibes
    Re: Z490 Dark - no thermal sensor? 2021/01/04 15:36:49 (permalink)

Yeah I looked through that manual, so ok, it apparently doesn't have a connector for a thermal sensor. Very surprising to leave that out on a $500 motherboard that is generally intended for overclockers (or $600 motherboard if I went with the K|ngP|n version).

Hrmm, there goes that build idea.

I was just thinking I could add a $75 Corsair Commander Pro, but that doesn't work with AIDA64 which I use for a display (well, it works with AIDA64, but can't run concurrently with iCue software, so that defeats the purpose of using it for radiator fan speeds dependent on water temperature). Just have to stick with ASUS ROG boards.

post edited by Nereus - 2021/01/04 16:14:32

BUILD 1 2   |   MINI-ITX BUILD   |   MODSRIGS $1K WIN   |   HEATWARE 111-0-0   |   ASSOCIATE CODE CSKKXUT5Q9GVAFR

Nereus
    Captain Goodvibes
    Re: Z490 Dark - no thermal sensor? 2021/01/04 17:33:11 (permalink)

FYI I submitted a suggestion to add a T-Sensor port on future motherboards, and also adding the option in BIOS to have fan speeds dependent on water temperature from the T-Sensor port.

If you don't ask, the answer is always "no". ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

fragility_V1
    SSC Member
    • Total Posts : 940
    • Ribbons : 4
    Re: Z490 Dark - no thermal sensor? 2021/01/07 09:45:32 (permalink)
    Nereus

Yeah I looked through that manual, so ok, it apparently doesn't have a connector for a thermal sensor. Very surprising to leave that out on a $500 motherboard that is generally intended for overclockers (or $600 motherboard if I went with the K|ngP|n version).

I was just thinking I could add a $75 Corsair Commander Pro, but that doesn't work with AIDA64 which I use for a display (well, it works with AIDA64, but can't run concurrently with iCue software, so that defeats the purpose of using it for radiator fan speeds dependent on water temperature). Just have to stick with ASUS ROG boards.

Get an Aquacomputer Aquaero.  It does interface with AIDA.  That what I use on my Z490 Dark.  Like a Commander, but made by a watercooling specific company.  And German engineering, Fahrvergnügen!
    Nereus
    Captain Goodvibes
    Re: Z490 Dark - no thermal sensor? 2021/01/08 12:27:40 (permalink)
    fragility_V1
    Nereus

Get an Aquacomputer Aquaero.  It does interface with AIDA.  That what I use on my Z490 Dark.  Like a Commander, but made by a watercooling specific company.  And German engineering, Fahrvergnügen!

Checked it out, unfortunately my case doesn't have any drive bays for it, and once I've got the loop installed there's going to be no room for it anywhere. Thanks though, it's a pretty cool device. Here's a link if anyone wants to check it out, and an Amazon link.

fragility_V1
    SSC Member
    • Total Posts : 940
    • Ribbons : 4
    Re: Z490 Dark - no thermal sensor? 2021/01/08 12:32:48 (permalink)
    Nereus
    fragility_V1
    Nereus

Checked it out, unfortunately my case doesn't have any drive bays for it, and once I've got the loop installed there's going to be no room for it anywhere. Thanks though, it's a pretty cool device. Here's a link if anyone wants to check it out, and an Amazon link.

I've just got taped to the back panel of my case.  (well it's mounted to a piece of plastic taped to the back of my case).  So don't neeeed the drive bay.  Could also look at their smaller fan controller options, Quadro and Octo, I believe they offer some of the same features on a smaller scale.  Haven't used them personally (yet, have one on order from PerformancePCs), but the Aquasuite software is awesome.
    Nereus
    Captain Goodvibes
    Re: Z490 Dark - no thermal sensor? 2021/02/04 19:09:44 (permalink)

Now looking at Z490 Dark KingPin, and wow, I cannot believe there doesn't appear to be even one T1 temperature sensor connector on this mobo either, quite shocked. There are multiple thermal sensors built into the board, so why it never crossed anyone's mind to put at least one header for a temperature sensor is just stunning - it would have been so easy to add since there is already sensors built in. Even the standard ASUS Maximus boards (Hero etc) have a thermal sensor connector (T-Sensor-1).

Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile