Author
moknowsbest
Superclocked Member
  • Total Posts : 194
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 0
2021/01/01 05:47:18 (permalink)
Hi Forum members!

It is time for me to start gathering parts to finalize my pc build for this year. This time i would like to get as much help as i can from each and everyone of you since my first build was a disaster and i got scammed by a pc shop back in late 2017!

I am moving to a new house (my first house i've been building from ground up ^_^) around March/April, so i'll have a nice youtube studio for streaming and content creating so i need a BEAST PC for rendering animations and videos and also for streaming. My budget for Youtube Studio/PC Build is $20K Canadian.

First question: I already purchased 2080ti kingpin edition x2 when it was first announced and it is still BNIB. I did try to look for 3090 cards in evga and it seems to be out of stock....should i stay with the 2 2080ti's i have or sell them off ebay (i don't know what to price it for) or just keep them for the new build. FYI i am not a crazy PC gamer, but a console gamer that streams on youtube and other platforms and i am planning on using the cards to boost my 4k streaming performance and maybe play SOME pc games if i feel the need to, off-stream. So let me know in regards of the graphic cards if i should keep it , or sell it and get a  3090 whenever it comes out?

Now for CPU chipset, i was thinking of going overkill AMD Ryzen™ Threadripper™ 3990X Processor, this way i don't have to worry about renders or IF i need to stream PC games so i can swap my stream encoding option from GPU to CPU. 

I don't know which memory card i need to purchase since last time i filled up my last pc with 64 gigs memory then later throughout the month i realized it was useless, didn't know much for me lol. so maybe get 2 mems but the best of the best if you guys can select which one i should purchase. I love asus mobo! so please let me know which one would best fit my needs for inserting 2 2080ti kingpins and have a slot for my avermedia pcie capture card. i'm not good with which water cooling should i get for my cpu, but something nice and flashy and perhaps this time lots of fans for better cooling. maybe throw in some ssd pcie cards (if thats what they are called lol sorry) the one you stick it in the mobo. The most frustrating part will be the PC case since both of these kingpins come with the watercooler fan installed and i HAVE NO IDEA which case will be best to fit those bulks in...i was thinking of that open concept case....Core P7 Tempered Glass Edition? or maybe the EVGA DG-76?

Please help me with all that is needed to make the best build so i don't have to look back for the next 10-15 years since everyday i look at the pc i build with no knowledge pisses me off :(

Thanks in advance! HAPPY NEW YEAR 2021!

20 Replies Related Threads

RainStryke
    The Advocate
    • Total Posts : 15872
    • Ribbons : 60
    Re: 2021 PC Build! 2021/01/01 07:13:12 (permalink)
    RTX 2080Ti is still a great card, with little stock on RTX 3000 series cards, I don't expect them to be easily attainable until around Q2 of 2021 so it's hard to say. With those cards brand new in box, you might want to consider selling them but they are not worth that much more than the used ones, maybe an extra $200. Looking on eBay the used ones are going for $800 so I'd say you could maybe get $1000, possibly more but more likely less and less as we continue to move into this year. If you are willing to take that big of a loss and wait for a RTX 3090, then I'd say go for it. Otherwise, just keep them cause they are still awesome cards.

I wouldn't suggest the Threadripper 3990X because that's not the combination you need if you want to game with this rig. Yeah, it has a ton of cores for raw processing power, but it won't have high end frequencies to push the GPU. If you are going with AMD, I would suggest the Ryzen 9 5950X or even a Ryzen 9 3900XT, either of those are more than enough for streaming and gaming. Also, on that threadripper platform you are limited to much slower RAM where it prioritized transfer bandwidth rather than frequency which is what gaming thrives off of. If you went Ryzen 9, i'd suggest the MSI MEG X570 ACE

With AMD processor prices skyrocketing, you might want to consider Intel. I would suggest the i9 10900K or i9 10850K if you wanted to save a little money and still have plenty of processing power to do streaming. They also just came out with the new TEC cooling for those processors. If you are really looking to stand out, one of the TEC cooling solutions would really make it happen.
    https://www.coolermaster.com/catalog/coolers/cpu-liquid-coolers/masterliquid-ml360-sub-zero/

If you went the Intel route, i'd suggest the MSI Z490 MEG ACE since those boards will work with that TEC cooler.

Hard drive, I would suggest one of these Western Digital Black 2TB | Crucial P5 2TB | Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2TB (IMO, This is the best one if it comes back in stock)

For your RAM, I would suggest this G.Skill 4X16GB 3600MHz CL18 kit

For your case, I would recommend the Lian Li 011 Dynamic XL

For your power supply, I would look at something like this Seasonic 1300w

Main PC | Secondary PC
    Intel i9 10900K | Intel i7 9700K

MSI MEG Z490 ACE | Gigabyte Aorus Z390 Master
    ASUS TUF RTX 3090 | NVIDIA RTX 2070 Super
    32GB G.Skill Trident Z Royal 4000MHz CL18 | 32GB G.Skill Trident Z RGB 4266MHz CL17
    SuperFlower Platinum SE 1200w | Seasonic X-1250
    Samsung EVO 970 1TB and Crucial P5 1TB | Intel 760p 1TB and Crucial MX100 512GB
    Cougar Vortex CF-V12HPB x9 | Cougar Vortex CF-V12SPB-RGB x5

3DMark Results:Time Spy|Port Royal

moknowsbest
    Superclocked Member
    Re: 2021 PC Build! 2021/01/01 08:35:48 (permalink)
    RainStryke
    RTX 2080Ti is still a great card, with little stock on RTX 3000 series cards, I don't expect them to be easily attainable until around Q2 of 2021 so it's hard to say. With those cards brand new in box, you might want to consider selling them but they are not worth that much more than the used ones, maybe an extra $200. Looking on eBay the used ones are going for $800 so I'd say you could maybe get $1000, possibly more but more likely less and less as we continue to move into this year. If you are willing to take that big of a loss and wait for a RTX 3090, then I'd say go for it. Otherwise, just keep them cause they are still awesome cards.

I wouldn't suggest the Threadripper 3990X because that's not the combination you need if you want to game with this rig. Yeah, it has a ton of cores for raw processing power, but it won't have high end frequencies to push the GPU. If you are going with AMD, I would suggest the Ryzen 9 5950X or even a Ryzen 9 3900XT, either of those are more than enough for streaming and gaming. Also, on that threadripper platform you are limited to much slower RAM where it prioritized transfer bandwidth rather than frequency which is what gaming thrives off of. If you went Ryzen 9, i'd suggest the MSI MEG X570 ACE

With AMD processor prices skyrocketing, you might want to consider Intel. I would suggest the i9 10900K or i9 10850K if you wanted to save a little money and still have plenty of processing power to do streaming. They also just came out with the new TEC cooling for those processors. If you are really looking to stand out, one of the TEC cooling solutions would really make it happen.
    https://www.coolermaster.com/catalog/coolers/cpu-liquid-coolers/masterliquid-ml360-sub-zero/

If you went the Intel route, i'd suggest the MSI Z490 MEG ACE since those boards will work with that TEC cooler.

Hard drive, I would suggest one of these Western Digital Black 2TB | Crucial P5 2TB | Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2TB (IMO, This is the best one if it comes back in stock)

For your RAM, I would suggest this G.Skill 4X16GB 3600MHz CL18 kit

For your case, I would recommend the Lian Li 011 Dynamic XL

For your power supply, I would look at something like this Seasonic 1300w

OMG! I ABSOLUTELY! LOVE the case you've recommended! I am definitely going to get it! thank you so much! 

As for CPU, i really really want the thread ripper at any cost so when working on adobe premier or after effects, I don't have to wait hours on end to finish with rendering on premier or +10mins on seeing a rendering preview on adobe after effects. I am planning on keeping the 2080ti kingpin as you mentioned they are still awesome cards <3. For RAM i'll go with what you've picked for me unless I have to change since i want to keep the thread ripper CPU. since i am not going the intel cpu route maybe I can get this radiator? https://www.nzxt.com/products/kraken-z73  I just want something that looks sexy! if this is the best of the best , please let me know. i'll get the power supple and HDD and nvme you've suggested. Also i guess i can't get an asus rog mobo since they look sooooo sexy! but i'll stick to MSI z490 meg ace as you suggested.

So in conclusion, lets work with how I can make better use of the AMD thread ripper i really want mainly for video editing and PS5 console streaming.

RainStryke
    The Advocate
    Re: 2021 PC Build! 2021/01/01 16:29:06 (permalink)
    No problem! I have the smaller version of that case, both of them are great cases.

You should note that the NZXT Z73 does not come with a bracket for Threadripper. As an alternative, I would recommend the ASUS Ryujin 360 instead however, I'm not 100% sure if it comes with the bracket either since it states "The mounting bracket is bundled with TR4 processor package."

With Threadripper in mind for your focus, my memory recommendation is different. I would recommend the G.Skill Trident NEO 3200MHz CL14 kit. The Trident Z NEO's which are tested on AMD platforms instead. The other ones I suggested should work but to play it safe, I would go with these ones instead.

That Z490 board will only work with Intel. This is what i'd recommend for threadripper:
    https://www.newegg.ca/asus-rog-zenith-ii-extreme-al/p/N82E16813119227?Item=N82E16813119227

If you are looking to save a bit, either version (Pro or Strix) in this link would do just fine as well:
    https://www.newegg.ca/asus-prime-trx40-pro/p/N82E16813119219?Item=N82E16813119219

post edited by RainStryke - 2021/01/01 16:32:05

Main PC | Secondary PC

32GB G.Skill Trident Z Royal 4000MHz CL18 | 32GB G.Skill Trident Z RGB 4266MHz CL17

XrayMan
    Insert Custom Title Here
    • Total Posts : 73000
    • Ribbons : 115
    Re: 2021 PC Build! 2021/01/01 18:01:54 (permalink)

Moved to Hardware.

My Affiliate Code: 8WEQVXMCJL

Associate Code: VHKH33QN4W77V6A

&nbsp
    moknowsbest
    Superclocked Member
    Re: 2021 PC Build! 2021/01/02 02:10:40 (permalink)
    XrayMan

Moved to Hardware.
    I’m so sorry. Thank you.
    Hoggle
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 10102
    • Ribbons : 4
    Re: 2021 PC Build! 2021/01/02 02:48:47 (permalink)
    If streaming is the point then Intel might be the better CPU option.

Use an Associates Code & SAVE 5% - 10% on your purchase. Just click on the associates banner to save, or enter the associates code at checkout on your next purchase. If you choose to use my code I want to personally say "Thank You" for using it. 

moknowsbest
    Superclocked Member
    Re: 2021 PC Build! 2021/01/02 03:00:55 (permalink)
    RainStryke
    No problem! I have the smaller version of that case, both of them are great cases.

You should note that the NZXT Z73 does not come with a bracket for Threadripper. As an alternative, I would recommend the ASUS Ryujin 360 instead however, I'm not 100% sure if it comes with the bracket either since it states "The mounting bracket is bundled with TR4 processor package."

With Threadripper in mind for your focus, my memory recommendation is different. I would recommend the G.Skill Trident NEO 3200MHz CL14 kit. The Trident Z NEO's which are tested on AMD platforms instead. The other ones I suggested should work but to play it safe, I would go with these ones instead.

That Z490 board will only work with Intel. This is what i'd recommend for threadripper:
    https://www.newegg.ca/asus-rog-zenith-ii-extreme-al/p/N82E16813119227?Item=N82E16813119227

If you are looking to save a bit, either version (Pro or Strix) in this link would do just fine as well:
    https://www.newegg.ca/asus-prime-trx40-pro/p/N82E16813119219?Item=N82E16813119219

Thanks! Will go forward with the zenith 2 extreme since it’s soooooo sexier and will go nice with a black lian li case. I’ve been watching a ton of threadripper rendering videos and it seems that 3970x TR is the best option since 3990x TR a very close to one another in chart comparison when it comes to Adobe after effects and premier. One video, shows 3970x does massive wonders when it comes to streaming. Like night and day streaming quality!

About brackets, dumb question...what is that? And maybe I can watch TR build videos and see what youtubers are using as for cpu coolers?

So I guess we are set with parts...? Is there anything else I should get? Nice cables to look neat? I saw this one youtuber using rgb cables and it looks amazing! Also gotta look for nice rgb fans xD
    moknowsbest
    Superclocked Member
    Re: 2021 PC Build! 2021/01/02 03:04:25 (permalink)
    Hoggle
    If streaming is the point then Intel might be the better CPU option.
    thank you. But, I just watched a YouTube video demonstrating how amd 3970x was handling single PC streaming with no drop frames without having to sacrifice stream quality. As a matter of fact he went higher than recommended stream quality settings and it still did fine. And that was PC game streaming. I can only imaging how much better it’ll handle when streaming ps5 games on 4k highest bitrate encoding settings ^_^
    moknowsbest
    Superclocked Member
    Re: 2021 PC Build! 2021/01/02 03:21:26 (permalink)
    RainStryke

Did a little research. Now I understand what you meant by TR cpu brackets xD
    notfordman
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    • Total Posts : 10345
    • Ribbons : 28
    Re: 2021 PC Build! 2021/01/02 03:41:55 (permalink)
    The bracket mentioned, is the mounting bracket to mount a cooler to the CPU socket. They differ depending on socket. Some brackets will fit several sockets. The TR has it's own I believe. 

Edit:^^^ dang it 19 minutes too late! :) 

If you ever decide to go custom water cooling, they make some custom parts like a distribution plate, for that case. With hard line tube [or soft], it would spice it up. Maybe something for later on. 

https://lian-li.com/product/o11d-distro-plate-g1/

moknowsbest
    Superclocked Member
    Re: 2021 PC Build! 2021/01/02 04:04:00 (permalink)
    notfordman
    The bracket mentioned, is the mounting bracket to mount a cooler to the CPU socket. They differ depending on socket. Some brackets will fit several sockets. The TR has it's own I believe. 

If you ever decide to go custom water cooling, they make some custom parts like a distribution plate, for that case. With hard line tube [or soft], it would spice it up. Maybe something for later on. 

Regardless, thanks for the detailed information ! And as much as custom water cooling would looks sooooo purrrtyyyy, an idiot like me should stay far away from it heh.
    RainStryke
    The Advocate
    Re: 2021 PC Build! 2021/01/02 07:04:17 (permalink)
    moknowsbest
    notfordman

Regardless, thanks for the detailed information ! And as much as custom water cooling would looks sooooo purrrtyyyy, an idiot like me should stay far away from it heh.

So, that case actually has a ton of custom water cooling parts. This is the distro plate for the XL:
    https://www.ekwb.com/shop/ek-quantum-reflection-pc-o11d-xl-d5-pwm-d-rgb-plexi

That ASUS board has a custom block too:
    https://www.ekwb.com/shop/ek-quantum-momentum-rog-zenith-ii-extreme-d-rgb-plexi

This is definitely a time investment, you will have to learn a bit about water cooling if you take this route. But it's not as scary as it seems and it's worth it in my opinion. I have read a lot of complaints about treadripper not doing too great with AIO's. Primarily because Asetek built these AIO's with Intel's platform and it has been made to fit AMD but it's not as effective because the CPU die on AMD CPU's isn't centered directly in the middle, they are separated on the outer sides.

Main PC | Secondary PC

moknowsbest
    Superclocked Member
    Re: 2021 PC Build! 2021/01/02 13:15:37 (permalink)
    RainStryke
    moknowsbest
    notfordman

So, that case actually has a ton of custom water cooling parts. This is the distro plate for the XL:
    https://www.ekwb.com/shop/ek-quantum-reflection-pc-o11d-xl-d5-pwm-d-rgb-plexi

That ASUS board has a custom block too:
    https://www.ekwb.com/shop/ek-quantum-momentum-rog-zenith-ii-extreme-d-rgb-plexi

This is definitely a time investment, you will have to learn a bit about water cooling if you take this route. But it's not as scary as it seems and it's worth it in my opinion. I have read a lot of complaints about treadripper not doing too great with AIO's. Primarily because Asetek built these AIO's with Intel's platform and it has been made to fit AMD but it's not as effective because the CPU die on AMD CPU's isn't centered directly in the middle, they are separated on the outer sides.

Sooo what you’re saying is, having it water cooled with what you have recommended should be the best route?
    RainStryke
    The Advocate
    Re: 2021 PC Build! 2021/01/02 16:32:54 (permalink)
    Yeah, if you go with that distro plate for the XL, it takes the front panel rather than one of the radiator slots. It has a built in pump, so you won't have to worry about making any accommodations for that. Since it looks like you can fit a 360mm radiator at the bottom, i'd recommend this one:
    https://www.ekwb.com/shop/ek-coolstream-xe-360-triple-5419

You are going to need some fittings, 2 for the CPU water block, 2 for the radiator and a minimum of 2 for the distro plate, an additional 2 for the distro plate if you want to use the flow meter. I would suggest getting 8 to start. If you decide to add your video cards to your loop later on, you will need to grab another 4, 6 if you hook-up two.

Since this would be your first custom loop, EKWB has a good info page for fittings and tubing:
    https://www.ekwb.com/blog/fittings-and-tubing-guide/

I highly recommend going soft tubing for your set-up. These are the fittings I use for both of my set-ups:
    https://www.ekwb.com/shop/ek-torque-stc-10-16-black-nickel

They make that series in Nickel, Black Nickel and Black. Just make sure whatever size fitting you get matches the tubing, the tubing you get should be fairly easy to slide over the fitting but hard to pull off after you've pushed the tubing onto the fitting, then you just screw the top of it in to seal it up. If you go with the 10/16mm ones, this is the tubing for those:
    https://www.ekwb.com/shop/ek-duraclear-9-5-15-9mm-3m-retail

I would put the 360mm radiator on the bottom of the case to allow the other two radiators you have to hook up to the top and back/right side of the case so air doesn't get into the water pumps on those RTX 2080Ti's.

You might need some 90 degree fittings, depending on the color you pick, i'd suggest grabbing at least 2 of these, they are very useful.
    https://www.ekwb.com/shop/fittings/adapter-fittings/90?___SID=d31e2dbf5322e427c736f9c1507543a7U

Since you are looking at a distro plate, you shouldn't really need a drain port, but it wouldn't hurt if you want to make it easier to drain the system every year or so. Easier you make that part, the more often you can do it without it being a pain.

As for your fluids, I would just grab some distilled water from the store or if you have a reverse osmosis system at home use that. As long as it's stripped from all minerals, there isn't anything conductive in the water to cause a short even if there was a small leak. I would advise against using any dye for your water... you could put some anti bacterial treatment in there but it's better to just leave it simple, use LED's in the case to reflect off the water. It's not worth the maintenance and extra wear it puts your your loop/pump.

Main PC | Secondary PC

moknowsbest
    Superclocked Member
    Re: 2021 PC Build! 2021/01/02 18:36:13 (permalink)
    RainStryke
    Yeah, if you go with that distro plate for the XL, it takes the front panel rather than one of the radiator slots. It has a built in pump, so you won't have to worry about making any accommodations for that. Since it looks like you can fit a 360mm radiator at the bottom, i'd recommend this one:
    https://www.ekwb.com/shop/ek-coolstream-xe-360-triple-5419

You are going to need some fittings, 2 for the CPU water block, 2 for the radiator and a minimum of 2 for the distro plate, an additional 2 for the distro plate if you want to use the flow meter. I would suggest getting 8 to start. If you decide to add your video cards to your loop later on, you will need to grab another 4, 6 if you hook-up two.

Since this would be your first custom loop, EKWB has a good info page for fittings and tubing:
    https://www.ekwb.com/blog/fittings-and-tubing-guide/

I highly recommend going soft tubing for your set-up. These are the fittings I use for both of my set-ups:
    https://www.ekwb.com/shop/ek-torque-stc-10-16-black-nickel

They make that series in Nickel, Black Nickel and Black. Just make sure whatever size fitting you get matches the tubing, the tubing you get should be fairly easy to slide over the fitting but hard to pull off after you've pushed the tubing onto the fitting, then you just screw the top of it in to seal it up. If you go with the 10/16mm ones, this is the tubing for those:
    https://www.ekwb.com/shop/ek-duraclear-9-5-15-9mm-3m-retail

I would put the 360mm radiator on the bottom of the case to allow the other two radiators you have to hook up to the top and back/right side of the case so air doesn't get into the water pumps on those RTX 2080Ti's.

You might need some 90 degree fittings, depending on the color you pick, i'd suggest grabbing at least 2 of these, they are very useful.
    https://www.ekwb.com/shop/fittings/adapter-fittings/90?___SID=d31e2dbf5322e427c736f9c1507543a7U

Since you are looking at a distro plate, you shouldn't really need a drain port, but it wouldn't hurt if you want to make it easier to drain the system every year or so. Easier you make that part, the more often you can do it without it being a pain.

As for your fluids, I would just grab some distilled water from the store or if you have a reverse osmosis system at home use that. As long as it's stripped from all minerals, there isn't anything conductive in the water to cause a short even if there was a small leak. I would advise against using any dye for your water... you could put some anti bacterial treatment in there but it's better to just leave it simple, use LED's in the case to reflect off the water. It's not worth the maintenance and extra wear it puts your your loop/pump.

Holyyyyy lol that’s a lot to take in lol I’m going to properly read all this in the morning tomorrow after a hot cup of tea :)
    moknowsbest
    Superclocked Member
    Re: 2021 PC Build! 2021/01/06 11:06:06 (permalink)
    RainStryke

hi again :) hope you had a wonderful start of a new year!

so i am interested in purchasing the rog zenith ii extreme alpha. i just need to be wise on the decision.

I have the "EVGA GeForce RTX NVLink SLI Bridge, 4-Slot Spacing, RGB LED, 100-2W-0030-LR" SLI for the 2x 2080ti kingpins.

also i have the avermedia4k pcie for capturing games and etc.. and i will also be purchasing this as well:

"Asus 10Gbps Gigabit Ethernet PCI Express, Network Adapter PCIe 2.0/3.0 X4 SFP+ Network Card/Ethernet Card Support Fiber Optic (XG-C100F)" a network card for my fiber optic internet so i can get the most up/down streams from it.

will i be able to fit all accordingly on the mobo? Please advise <3

RainStryke
    The Advocate
    Re: 2021 PC Build! 2021/01/07 10:19:16 (permalink)
    That motherboard has built-in 10GB ethernet and a regular 1GB ethernet, you shouldn't need a network adapter. 

Main PC | Secondary PC

moknowsbest
    Superclocked Member
    Re: 2021 PC Build! 2021/01/07 11:22:49 (permalink)
    RainStryke
    That motherboard has built-in 10GB ethernet and a regular 1GB ethernet, you shouldn't need a network adapter. 

Ty ty. I told my I.t about it. He’ll get a gigabyte switch with 10gbps port for the PC.
    Jeff007245
    • Total Posts : 40
    Re: 2021 PC Build! 2021/01/10 00:52:15 (permalink)
    That's a crazy nice build. Looking forward to the pics!
    moknowsbest
    Superclocked Member
    Re: 2021 PC Build! 2021/01/10 03:50:10 (permalink)
    Jeff007245
    That's a crazy nice build. Looking forward to the pics!

Thank you. Fingers crossed !
    Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile